Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Reminder that the two most powerful ninja in the world are genin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Captain Fargle posted:

This is quite probably my favourite painting of all time. Perhaps my favourite work of art altogether. It's just astonishingly loving good. I'll consider myself a successful artist if I ever make something that has even a fraction of the power this painting has got. Those eyes.

EDIT:..and the blood soaked carpet and the motherfucking crib in the background and god it's sooooo good. I could spend the rest of my life raving about this painting.
Yeah that is hands-down my favorite historical painting ever and probably would win in a war for the top spot overall in terms of paintings. When you read about Ivan Grozny and you get to that moment, you can imagine that exact look in his eyes when he realized how he had just destroyed the future he had envisioned. The way Repin caught that desperation and realization in loving paint still gives me the chills when I look closely at that painting.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Silmarildur posted:

Navajo code talkers movie but with this guy.

The US successfully used Choctaw and Cherokee code talkers in WWI. Hitler sent over some anthropologists to the US in the interwar period to go learn the language of the Native Americans, to neutralize future native language code talking.
The German anthropologists gave up upon learning that there were a few hundred languages, grouped into almost 30 distinct language groups (with a couple dozen more isolates as well for flavor.)

Speaking of Native Americans in WWII, here's the short story of Joe Medicine Crow, genuine warchief and ultimate badass.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Medicine_Crow

quote:

Medicine Crow joined the Army in 1943, becoming a scout in the 103rd Infantry Division and fought in World War II. Whenever he went into battle, he wore his war paint beneath his uniform and a sacred eagle feather beneath his helmet.[2] Medicine Crow completed all four tasks required to become a war chief: Touching an enemy without killing him, taking an enemy's weapon, leading a successful war party and stealing an enemy's horse.

He touched a living enemy soldier and disarmed an enemy when he turned a corner and found himself face to face with a young German soldier:

The collision knocked the German's weapon to the ground. Mr. [Medicine] Crow lowered his own weapon and the two fought hand-to-hand. In the end Mr. Crow got the best of the German, grabbing him by the neck and choking him. He was going to kill the German soldier on the spot when the man screamed out "momma." Mr. Crow then let him go.

He also led a successful war party and stole an enemy horse, making a midnight raid to steal the horses from a battalion of German officers (as he rode off, he sang a traditional Crow honor song.) He is the last member of the Crow tribe to become a war chief
:black101:

He's still alive at 103 years old.

Silmarildur
Jan 30, 2005

Thats what I'm Tolkien about.

canyoneer posted:

The US successfully used Choctaw and Cherokee code talkers in WWI. Hitler sent over some anthropologists to the US in the interwar period to go learn the language of the Native Americans, to neutralize future native language code talking.
The German anthropologists gave up upon learning that there were a few hundred languages, grouped into almost 30 distinct language groups (with a couple dozen more isolates as well for flavor.)

I didn't know there was a precedent for the WW2 code talkers, that's interesting. Didn't Cherokee also not have an alphabet until a single dude sat down in like 1850 and came up with one? Sort of like Korean or Cyrillic but I don't remember if the guy was a political figure or anything.

E: here's the pertinent Wiki page

Silmarildur has a new favorite as of 19:47 on Nov 16, 2015

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 23 hours!)

Silmarildur posted:

Didn't Cherokee also not have an alphabet until a single dude sat down in like 1850 and came up with one? Sort of like Korean or Cyrillic but I don't remember if the guy was a political figure or anything.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sequoyah

Silmarildur
Jan 30, 2005

Thats what I'm Tolkien about.

Was just reading this, pretty fascinating guy. I think it's a pretty cool concept, someone just saying "this is ridiculous, here, this is the alphabet now, OK?"

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Canada initially didn't let First Nations people into WWI because, to quote Sam Hughes, "Germans may fail to extend to them the privileges of civilized warfare". Like, the idea was that sure, British people would LOVE to serve with you guys, both those nasty Germans. Some guys still got in during the beginning, though.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

cash crab posted:

Canada initially didn't let First Nations people into WWI because, to quote Sam Hughes, "Germans may fail to extend to them the privileges of civilized warfare". Like, the idea was that sure, British people would LOVE to serve with you guys, both those nasty Germans. Some guys still got in during the beginning, though.

First Nations Canadians like acclaimed sportsman and great guy Tom Longboat. Also if you've never heard of Kate Beaton for some reason, she's got loads of fun history comics. I'm kind of surprised nobody's linked any of her stuff in this thread already.

Other good ones: That time Australians overthrew their elected governor, William Bligh (of the mutiny on the Bounty fame); famous romantic poets Byron and Shelley; Canada's beloved Prime Minister Lester B. Pearson.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Red Bones posted:

First Nations Canadians like acclaimed sportsman and great guy Tom Longboat. Also if you've never heard of Kate Beaton for some reason, she's got loads of fun history comics. I'm kind of surprised nobody's linked any of her stuff in this thread already.

Other good ones: That time Australians overthrew their elected governor, William Bligh (of the mutiny on the Bounty fame); famous romantic poets Byron and Shelley; Canada's beloved Prime Minister Lester B. Pearson.

As noted before in this thread, Kate Beaton's webcomic is basically PYF Historical Fun Fact.jpg (with Fat Pony) and you should read and buy all of her things

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

cash crab posted:

This was actually an issue, though. At the outset of the war Imperial Germany regarded any member of a "non-combatant" nation in uniform as a mercenary and shot them immediately on capture (as happened to quite a few Americans who crossed the Atlantic to join up). They did the same with captured black soldiers from the French colonial regiments. Germany wouldn't extend anyone suspiciously nonwhite the privileges of civilised warfare.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Red Bones posted:

First Nations Canadians like acclaimed sportsman and great guy Tom Longboat.

Speaking of...

Jim Thorpe, Sac and Fox athlete, played against Dwight Eisenhower in college football the season after Jim won two gold medals in the Olympics.
He tackled Dwight Eisenhower (playing for West Point) and busted his knee, effectively ending the future president's athletic career. Whoops!

Eisenhower loved him though. He said that he was the best and most gifted football player he had ever seen.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Loxbourne posted:

This was actually an issue, though. At the outset of the war Imperial Germany regarded any member of a "non-combatant" nation in uniform as a mercenary and shot them immediately on capture (as happened to quite a few Americans who crossed the Atlantic to join up). They did the same with captured black soldiers from the French colonial regiments. Germany wouldn't extend anyone suspiciously nonwhite the privileges of civilised warfare.

And there are conspicuous examples from both the second war of soldiers of colour finding Europe in some ways more accomodation than home, particularly those from the United states. There was no segregation, although it was occasionally put in to place to accommodate white American sensibilities, and there is a huge weight of testimony of people finding the white americans very gauche in attacking black soldiers out with white British women.

Colonial and no white experience in Europe in the ears was incredibly interesting.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Jesse Owens had better experiences in Germany in 1936 than in America.

quote:

Owens was allowed to travel with and stay in the same hotels in Germany as whites, while at the time African Americans in many parts of the United States had to stay in segregated hotels while traveling. During a New York City ticker-tape parade on Fifth Avenue in his honor, someone handed Owens a paper bag. Owens paid it little mind until the parade concluded. When he opened it up, he found the bag contained $10,000 in cash. Owens's wife Ruth later said, "And he [Owens] didn't know who was good enough to do a thing like that. And with all the excitement around, he didn't pick it up right away. He didn't pick it up until he got ready to get out of the car."[28] After the parade, Owens had to ride the freight elevator at the Waldorf-Astoria to reach the reception honoring him.[29] President Franklin D. Roosevelt (FDR) never invited Jesse Owens to the White House following his triumphs at the Olympics games.[30]

Owens, who joined the Republican Party after returning from Europe, was paid to campaign for African American votes for the Republican presidential nominee Alf Landon in the 1936 presidential election.[31][32] Speaking at a Republican rally held in Baltimore on October 9, 1936 Owens said "Some people say Hitler snubbed me. But I tell you, Hitler did not snub me. I am not knocking the President. Remember, I am not a politician, but remember that the President did not send me a message of congratulations because people said, he was too busy."[33] Later, on October 15, 1936 Owens repeated this allegation when he addressed an audience of African Americans at a Republican rally in Kansas City remarking that "Hitler didn't snub me – it was our president who snubbed me. The president didn't even send me a telegram."[34] [35]

snipermonkey
Jun 30, 2010

Silmarildur posted:

Was just reading this, pretty fascinating guy. I think it's a pretty cool concept, someone just saying "this is ridiculous, here, this is the alphabet now, OK?"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikael_Agricola
This guy did basically the same thing, but to the Finnish language.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I really enjoy some of the more mythical Scandinavian stuff, is it okay if I post it here?

Also, Beaton is the best!

Somebody has a new favorite as of 16:53 on Mar 22, 2016

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Tias posted:

I really enjoy some of the more mythical Scandinavian stuff, is it okay if I post it here?

Also, Beaton is the best!

I just realized that his nose is colored differently because it's gold :allears:

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
The true origin of Tumblr nose revealed.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Cythereal posted:

:eng101: The SR-71 Blackbird spy plane, one of the most advanced aircraft ever produced during the 20th century, was built to spy on the Soviet Union during the Cold War. Due to the extreme stresses the Blackbird's speed and altitude put on the airframe, much of the airframe was built out of titanium, a metal very seldom used at the time and difficult to obtain in large quantities. Most of the titanium used in the Blackbird was covertly purchased from the Soviet Union, the very nation the Blackbird was designed to spy on.

It may have been noted already, but the blackbird was also completely designed from the ground up, and built around the components they wanted to use in it. Also it was designed completely by hand without the use of any validation software (this was well before modern computational engineering software) and still holds the world record airspeed. It's pretty impressive, I learnt this doing research into fluid analysis during my engineering thesis

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Nooo, don't die on me thread!

:eng101: When the Spanish colonised the New World, they found that the indigeneous people there made heavy use of cacao beans not only as food (or beverage, which was limited to the elites who drank it mostly cold, and often unsweetened), but also as a means of payment, something which the Spaniards eagerly adopted. For a long time, they continued to collect cacao beans as tribute, and baptised natives would bring beans to church altars as a sacrifice. During the 1530s, it gained popularity as a beverage within colonial elites, especially with the women (it might have been a nunnery where cacao was first turned into cocoa by serving it hot and spiced with vanilla and honey or cane sugar). Members of religious orders spread cocoa throughout the Spanish colonies and eventually also brought it home to Spain, where by the early 17th century the royal court had an annual demand of 450kg of cacao beans, 50kg of vanilla and 300kg of cacao paste cakes. Chocolate and cocoa also gained a religious dimension, when the question sprang up whether it was proper to consume during Lent and other fast days; there was also a controversy of the clergy with its flock when many noble Spanish women in the New World took to the habit of bringing hot chocolate into church and drinking it during long sermons (one bishop who wanted to ban this practice under threat of excommunication was supposedly even poisoned by said women). The question of chocolate breaking fast or not was decided in 1569, when a delegation of Mexican prelates presented Pope Pius V with the question and even made him a cup of it. Pius found the taste abhorrent and declared that a beverage as vile as this couldn't break any fast. Without various religious orders promoting it and the Pope declaring it fit for consumptiony year-round, chocolate may never have spread from the Spanish colonies to the rest of Europe!

Sources:
Byker, Samuel: "‘No hay tal cosa en el mundo". How Mesoamerican Chocolate Colonized the World, 1519-1825, in: Brown Journal of History (2009), pp. 7-22
Zander, Hand Conrad: Warum waren die Mönche so dick? Wahre Komödien aus der Geschichte der Religion, Gütersloh 2011.

:eng101: In 1961, a team of archaeologists went searching for Dead Sea scrolls in a cave the small Nahal Mishmar valley in Israel. When they rolled a large boulder at the end of the cave away, they found a massive bronze-age hoard instead, carefully wrapped in straw mats and consisting of 442 artifacts mostly made of bronze, but some also made out of stone, copper or ivory. Carbon dating of the mats suggested that the items were at least 5,500 years old and may have been used for rituals and ceremonies in the ancient temple of Ein Gedin seven miles to the north of Nahal Mishmar. The crown you see in the picture above is adorned with vultures and doors and was probably used during funeral rites.

Source: Moorey, P.R.S.: The Chalcolithic Hoard from Nahal Mishmar, Israel, in Context, in: World Archaeology 20 (1988), pp. 171-189.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

That owns, bronze is by far my favourite material. It is preserved so well! gently caress iron imo. The best things to see in chinese museums are the Shang dynasty bronzes if you get the chance. Much like well preserved ceramics they feel like they surely can't be as old as they are but you know they are.

edit:

:gizz:

:q:

Bet there's a good story behind this one.

NLJP has a new favorite as of 14:58 on Nov 26, 2015

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Shang bronzes are awesome, but Yoruba and Edo bronzes from west Africa will always be my favorites.

Yoruba bust, ~11th-14th century CE

Edo statue of a Portuguese soldier, 17th century CE

Edo plaque of king with attendants, 16th century CE. This one is about 20x14 inches/50x40 cm

Nowhere near as old, but absolutely amazing artwork.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Shang bronzes are awesome, but Yoruba and Edo bronzes from west Africa will always be my favorites.

Yoruba bust, ~11th-14th century CE

Edo statue of a Portuguese soldier, 17th century CE

Edo plaque of king with attendants, 16th century CE. This one is about 20x14 inches/50x40 cm

Nowhere near as old, but absolutely amazing artwork.

Yeah these are totally cool and were central to a crisis in the art and anthropological world about whether Africans were capable of 'Art' or not, let alone sophisticated craft. Classic 'this must have been Greek dudes who came down and made them (forget that all the faces look real african)'. The same thing happened with the ruins at Great Zimbabwe.

Komojo
Jun 30, 2007

I think it's really interesting how far advanced some areas of society can seem to be compared to others at any given time. Things either happen way earlier than I thought or way later. For instance:

The shootout at the OK corral (1881) happened at the same time the electron was being discovered (1870s-1890s).

Nobody knew anything existed outside the Milky Way until the 1920s. Nobody knew which holes in the Earth were impact craters until the 1960s.

In the year 1989, we had the first GPS satellites, the World Wide Web, early HDTV and the show Seinfeld before we had any close-up pictures of Neptune.

Some day 20 years from now we'll all be using some crazy new technology and be amazed to find out it was being invented in 2015.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
The Jerry Seinfeld movie "Bee Movie" (2007) predates America's first black president, Barack Obama (2008)

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

goose fleet posted:

The Jerry Seinfeld movie "Bee Movie" (2007) predates America's first black president, Barack Obama (2008)

lol

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

My yardstick for these things is Toy Story. 1995 was 20 mother loving years ago.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
We will be the last generation that remembers the world without Internet or mobile phones.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Sometimes I wonder how I ever managed to do anything without it. 10 years ago I got my first mobile phone, 15 years ago my family got internet, and my 4 year old sister is now playing Minecraft on a tablet and skyping with me when I'm in another country and it's completely unremarkable to her.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Kennel posted:

We will be the last generation that remembers the world without Internet or mobile phones.

With any luck, we'll also be the last generation that remembers the the noise as your computer loudly dialed up the internet on your phoneline.

Honestly I never understood why that had to be audible/so loud.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Cleopatra was born 2084 years ago. At that point the pyramids were already about 2500 years old.

Alkydere posted:

With any luck, we'll also be the last generation

Dehumanize yourself and face the bloodshed.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franksgiving

FDR tried to move thanksgiving day up a week early so that black Friday would happen earlier. Congress passed a law making thanksgiving happen the same day every year, but the real reason behind it was to control black Friday which was already a thing when the great depression happened.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Alkydere posted:

Because the sound itself contains the information for the provider to establish an internet connection with the client. The louder, the more likely it is to be "heard" correctly by the receiving end.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Alkydere posted:

With any luck, we'll also be the last generation that remembers the the noise as your computer loudly dialed up the internet on your phoneline.

It didn't have to be audible. Only scrubs and severe autists left it that way. Unless you're talking about one of those handset > modem couplers like in Wargames. You'd probably hear that I guess.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Acoustic coupling modems are hilarious, and yet most of the internet stack really hasn't changed at all since they were around

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

syscall girl posted:

It didn't have to be audible. Only scrubs and severe autists left it that way. Unless you're talking about one of those handset > modem couplers like in Wargames. You'd probably hear that I guess.

Nah I studied electrical engineering, so I understood that having your computer audibly screech at the phone switchboard was entirely unnecessary. I guess people just got used to your computer screaming at you meaning "things were working".

Honj Steak posted:

Because the sound itself contains the information for the provider to establish an internet connection with the client. The louder, the more likely it is to be "heard" correctly by the receiving end.

Yes, the old switchboards worked on recognizing audible tones to read information on the switch board. That's why old phones have the buttons each make a different tone. It's just that signal can be easily generated and sent down the phone line entirely silently without having to have a little speaker in your computer screaming at you.

So this post isn't entirely bitching about dial-up noise: Some of the earliest computer hackers, known as "Phone Phreakers" at the time, were blind people. If you knew how the dual-tone system worked and had really good pitch (being blind helped with that part but was far from necessary) you could pick up a phone and dial a number by whistling. Or more importantly: send a signal that could let you program the switchboard to do whatever the gently caress you wanted. Of course most Phreakers, even the blind, used multi-frequency tone generators. One of the biggest tools in the Phreakers' arsenal was the Cap'n Crunch bosun whistle: a free plastic whistle packaged in Cap'n Crunch boxes that produced a nearly pure 2600 Hz. tone. The exact same frequency tone used by AT&T switch boards to signal that one end of the line was ready and available to accept a new call: basically disconnecting one end of the call and putting the automated switch board into debug mode so you could do whatever you wanted (like free long ranged calling in a day and age when long ranged calls were kind of expensive).

If you see a reference to either 2600 or Cap'n Crunch in hacking or computer literature, it's generally a reference to Phone Phreaking or John Draper, an electrical engineer who was a major part of the Phreaking community and was the creator of the "blue box" tone generator that let people bypass charges on AT&T networks. Draper also helped a pair of gentlemen named Wozniak and Jobs start a little company called Apple while serving probation for toll fraud (i.e.: being caught phone phreaking).

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Kennel posted:

I'm sure quite a few people on this board can't even say that...

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

The oldest recorded joke is a fart joke from 1900BC.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Sweevo posted:

The oldest recorded joke is a fart joke from 1900BC.

"unknown is the wife who does not fart when she gets up from her husbands lap" :3:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Shakespeare wrote a "I hosed your mom" joke in one of his plays.

Archaeologists have found your mom jokes and dick jokes inscribed on the walls of Pompeii, grafitti made during Roman times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
My favourites from that era are the curse tablets hurled into holy places, like the Roman springs at Bath.

Bitter tirades at exes, angry cursing of petty thieves, crap business partners, worthless brothers-in-laws, whomever gave them an STD...they're all so delightfully human.