Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Lockmart Lawndart posted:

X-Plane payware.txt.

It was FSX actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005

EvilJoven posted:

It was FSX actually.

but it so neatly encapsulates my feelings with the payware side of X-Plane.

Edit: To be fair to X-Plane payware devs though, During the X-Plane 9 days there was dick all for decent payware aircraft. And just in the couple years that 10 has been out, the payware quality has jumped a thousand times better then it was. And with PMDG moving in, I think that will spur X-Plane 10 to be a serious contender for tubeliners. While they're not bringing their jets yet, they are lending their credibility to this platform and that is absolutely fantastic for X-Plane.

As much as I like to rag on XP10, it really does do a lot of things right (Like going on sale, being on steam, or get 60 FPS landing a payware jet on aerosoft scenery). And if they could just court more payware devs into taking the plunge on 10, It would be on level if not better than P3D. Of course this is the whole chicken and the egg problem. To get devs, you need install-base. To get install base, you need products. To get products, you need devs.

Lockmart Lawndart fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Nov 26, 2015

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Colonial Air Force posted:

But how else can I pretend I'm a Night Witch?

Pretty sure the only thing that BoS can help you do is pretend that one day there might be a game to go along with the tech demo.

Just kidding, there won't be :smithicide:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Oh gently caress all the OrbX stuff went on sale today.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

EvilJoven posted:

Oh gently caress all the OrbX stuff went on sale today.

Damnit. Cities Skylines is also -50% which I have been waiting for. Have to make some hard decisions now.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Cities Skylines is a lot of fun for under $20 if you are into that kind of game. I just upgraded to a 6700k and 980ti so I need to fire up some sims again :getin:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Does X10 have AI traffic and ATC? That was one thing that I liked with FSX and added quite a bit to immersion. I liked flying into a big airport at night and seeing the other AC on approach.

e: Supposed to be edit and not new post :saddowns:

Psy890
Jan 18, 2005

slidebite posted:

Cities Skylines is a lot of fun for under $20 if you are into that kind of game. I just upgraded to a 6700k and 980ti so I need to fire up some sims again :getin:

If you've been away:

DCS 1.5 (beta) is out.

Falcom BMS 4.33 is out.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

slidebite posted:

Does X10 have AI traffic and ATC? That was one thing that I liked with FSX and added quite a bit to immersion. I liked flying into a big airport at night and seeing the other AC on approach.

e: Supposed to be edit and not new post :saddowns:

Yes it does but it's fairly limited right now. But it's something the devs are working on for the next major update. Xplane does support Vatsim and PilotEdge for online ATC.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Psy890 posted:

If you've been away:

DCS 1.5 (beta) is out.

Falcom BMS 4.33 is out.

Yeah, I saw the 4.33 come out and downloaded it but haven't installed it yet. Need to dust of/find my old F4 binder. I assume I do need the old original disc for proof of F4 ownership, right? I do own DCS as well :)

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Yes it does but it's fairly limited right now. But it's something the devs are working on for the next major update. Xplane does support Vatsim and PilotEdge for online ATC.
That's good news; but do you mean next major update as in the next version of Xplane (11?) or just the next major patch?

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

slidebite posted:

That's good news; but do you mean next major update as in the next version of Xplane (11?) or just the next major patch?

The next major patch 10.50

http://developer.x-plane.com/2015/10/some-work-for-10-50/

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

slidebite posted:

Yeah, I saw the 4.33 come out and downloaded it but haven't installed it yet. Need to dust of/find my old F4 binder. I assume I do need the old original disc for proof of F4 ownership, right? I do own DCS as well :)

There's a Falcon collection on GOG now, includes 4.0

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Can't I use my F4 disc though or do I need to get the GOG package?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Apparently you need the .exe file and that's it.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Just curious, how is the quality on the X-Plane DH Beaver that Steam is selling? It looks like the type of plane I would enjoy.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I just spent $128 on loving scenery for a flight simulator I bought for 5 bucks.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

EvilJoven posted:

I just spent $128 on loving scenery for a flight simulator I bought for 5 bucks.

Post your cockpit

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

EvilJoven posted:

paraphrasing this for new thread title.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Kilonum posted:

paraphrasing this for new thread title.

seconded

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

ugh it was too long

also, SimMarket has the Aerosoft Airbus A318/19/20/21on sale right now for 25% off

http://secure.simmarket.com/aerosoft-airbus-bundle-(a318319-a320a321)-fsxp3d-(download).phtml

Not PMDG-level quality but really decent for a tubeliner.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I need to stop spending money on flight sim stuff. Help.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

EvilJoven posted:

I need to stop spending money on flight sim stuff. Help.

What did you get now? :v:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
DCD Mig 21. Also might buy the aerosoft beaver...

And that super Cub package is on sale...

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Crossposting from the other thread because I'm inordinately proud of this :v:

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

It can't be inordinate because there is no reasonable limit of pride for that.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Got FTX Vector running.

It's not perfect.

But I can paddle a float plane into the little bay on Franklin Island we used to camp at all the time.

Now, the actual Parry Sound CNK4 airport.

:stare:

It's pretty much perfect. I won't even both posting a screenshot, what you get in Google Earth is what it looks like.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Sagebrush posted:

Crossposting from the other thread because I'm inordinately proud of this :v:

Awesome. Put some Cyrillic labels on that, and it'll be the best thing ever. Hell, Thrustmaster should sell that version as an optional upgrade.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
You know. Most guys when they buy flight sim stuff blow their wad on trying to re-create a 737 cockpit and fly their tubeliner across the Atlantic.

I go Oh boy, 18 variations of the Super Cub for 15 bucks! and whip out my wallet.

EDIT: I'm going to need to pare down some of the paint schemes for these planes, it's killing my disk space.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Nov 28, 2015

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009

That really is incredible work. I would pay for that.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Does anyone have this X-Aviation Saab 340A? It is half off and I am thinking of picking it up

http://www.x-aviation.com/catalog/product_info.php/take-command-saab-340a-p-100?osCsid=834012b979922273e5c0df7774b3e415

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

EvilJoven posted:

EDIT: I'm going to need to pare down some of the paint schemes for these planes, it's killing my disk space.
That's where you buy more disk space.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ZekeNY posted:

Awesome. Put some Cyrillic labels on that, and it'll be the best thing ever. Hell, Thrustmaster should sell that version as an optional upgrade.

I wanted the English version because I can't read Russian, but now that I have all of the source files created, it's pretty easy to make more panel covers. I think I'm going to ask some people in the Languages forum to help me translate the labels. :ussr:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Ok, some questions about X-10 and FSX/P3D. Forgive me if these are stupid but as I've pretty much been out of sims for the past while I appreciate the feedback.

I have no real experience with the X-plane series (other than briefly dabbling in it), but I am not against trying it. Especially since I see it's 50% off on steam right now.

What's the mesh/geography like? Autogen? Hills and mountains better than the default FSX scenery? Highways?

Seems to me when I last tried it I flew into some small cities (<100,000 pop) and there was literally nothing that would lead someone to believe there was a city there. KSEA looked fine (maybe a couple others?) but pretty much anything else was awful. Is this still true?

I used to play FSX pretty hardcore shortly after release but drifted away from it. I bought a P3D license shortly after it came out (V1.2?) but did not renew once it went to V2. Now I see it's 3. How different is it from old FSX? Same questions as above, is the default scenery/autogen pretty good for outside the "detailed" aiports? I trypically fly western Canada and US. I bought the Steam FSX on a whim but have yet to install it since I expect it to be pretty much what it was 3 years or so ago.

ATC and AI aircraft? I understand from my post earlier that X is getting ATC in the near future but I presume P3D has/is anticipated to still have the edge on that?

Performance wise and graphics wise, which has the edge? I've got a pretty decent system not (6700K w/980ti) so I'm hoping my system can play pretty much whatever.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
XP10 has very good mesh and roads by default, and there are free HD Mesh and OSM addons in that department. You'll be able to get into a chopper and find your street no problem.

The cities are a bit different. X-Plane 10 takes a default approach of 3D full realism or bust. So there are no "city" terrain tiles (except at higher altitudes). From low level, if you disable the autogen buildings, all you'll see is grass and roads. The higher your settings are, the more built up the cities get.

There is an addon called UrbanMaxx that adds city tile textures to give the appearance of a city without the frame rate hit. It's only $8.

Edit: XPlane runs in 64 bit so it has the edge in performance. No issues about running out of RAM. Hard to compare graphics performance side by side since they're two seperate rendering engines, different addons, and you're also comparing OpenGL vs DIrectX.

INTJ Mastermind fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Nov 29, 2015

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Thanks for the info. Picked up X on the Steam sale, downloading 16gb right now. I'll probably still pick up the new P3D but no rush or anything since it's not like it's on sale or anything.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Night vfr on xplane is amazing.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

sellouts posted:

Night vfr on xplane is amazing.

:agreed:

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005

Goetta posted:

Does anyone have this X-Aviation Saab 340A? It is half off and I am thinking of picking it up

http://www.x-aviation.com/catalog/product_info.php/take-command-saab-340a-p-100?osCsid=834012b979922273e5c0df7774b3e415

I do, It owns. Best propliner in X-Plane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Night VFR in FSX isn't too shabby with OrbX but you have to pay through the nose to get it going. I'm going to hold off on X-Plane only because I have a lot of stuff for FSX now and if I move away from it it'll be to P3D. Aside from a few A2A things I got for next to nothing all my stuff is dual license.

Also, my take on CMN5 / CSH8 in the middle of nowhere Quebec is coming along nicely. It's also nice to see that the spot where the hydro electric dam is supposed to go is now properly modelled, elevation wise. Gonna see how I can add it.