Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I used to have marine fish in a tank, that was a right pain in the arse, would not recommend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Bruxism posted:

Ah, thanks. Are true believers paying a premium for accounts with low citizennumbers? I seem to remember reading something about that...

There were a couple, but it's not worth it. The only time the join number thing comes up is during the later part of PTU. Like with AC 1.3 the first invites were for people who were reporting bugs. Then they did an invite based on account numbers. Otherwise it's a meaningless penis waving thing, which a small number of people will pay for.

I was just looking at the Issue Council (public bug reporting site), and remembering why I tend to find public bug lists mostly unhelpful. Lots of reports without repo steps or observations of what was happening at the time, no images, the memory state, that kind of thing.

BTW, one small observation I noticed. Whenever someone is at the FPS station like WTFOSAURUS is right now, I was thinking the shadows looked a bit odd for some reason I couldn't identify. It wasn't until I took a few screen shots that I realized it was because his light is actually emitted from his helmet and showing the shadow of his gun on the enviroment. For those who don't know, most game engines do not render when you see in the first person view. In practically all of them, what you see is faked vs what your model is doing in third person to other observers. I know a lot of you don't care/think that's one example of Chris's needless requirements for accuracy, but it was a neat thing to realize. I'm so used to player flashlights just being a projector out from the middle of the player's waist and not being an actual element that matched from the FPS view to the real game environment.

For :lol: my favorite counter example is Dead Island: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXmZX8iz2SE&t=15s - The original release included a bit of the debug environment, so you could pop out and see the difference between what the first person perspective was lying about, and what the actual collision model/animation was doing. I still remember how funny that looked for the first few days.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Real Talk guys. I'm going to confess I'm not much of a "gamer" (though I've played them all my life). As someone with many addictions, I ALMOST bought into Star Citizen months ago, but after several days thought, I remembered... I haven't played a "space sim" since I was a small child (I think one of the X-wing games) and though the audio/visuals and my friend's expensive flight stick blew me away! an hour later I was bored to tears. I also haven't "really" played a mmo since diablo 2, and looking back, it was as mindlessly addictive as any freemium cellphone game. (I even paid ebay for some lucky charms)

But now I've seen the light! Sure, Star Citizen is going to be boring as gently caress, but such is life. The name of the game is "immersion"! I don't know how many of you were stupid enough to buy GTA5 twice, but I just did. Being able to drink beer in first person was worth the $36 alone. True, GTA5 doesn't have as much head-bob as SC, but any true immersion fan knows, getting drunk and bobbling your head back and forth (like an unsure person from India) gets rid of that floaty feeling.

If Star Citizen can pull off the level of immersion in a game like Shenmue (take off your shoes when entering your house, dial a rotary phone mini-game, work a fork lifting job, months worth of procedurally generated npc daily schedules/historically accurate weather patterns) I'm sure it will be able to achieve a similar success (Every Dreamcast owner worldwide needed to buy the game twice for it to break even)... how many people own $5,000 gaming PCs again?

I just worry about the lives that are going to be destroyed once this game comes out and is everything everyone wants it to be. I have a friend who suffers from WoW addiction. Just like a drug, he moved up to the harder stuff, like D&D and obsessive Warhammer collecting. Sure, now he's got a Chinese fiance he met on the internet to control his life. But how many others aren't so lucky, and will suffer from Star Citizen being so much better than boring ol' real life.

I'm opposed to Star Citizen because it's too good.

Any news on "grabby hands"? You can't have immersion if you can't use your hands. (I haven't watched much 2.0 yet, too many spoilers)

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

nopantsjack posted:

hi derek

did you donate to some star citizen streamer in the last hour or so who had a text to speech thingy to attack some SCultists

just asking it was funny
I saw a Derek Smart donation to BadNewsBaron last week and he cut the feed for 8 seconds so nobody would hear the message. Oh how I laughed.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

MilesK posted:

Real Talk guys. I'm going to confess I'm not much of a "gamer" (though I've played them all my life). As someone with many addictions, I ALMOST bought into Star Citizen months ago, but after several days thought, I remembered... I haven't played a "space sim" since I was a small child (I think one of the X-wing games) and though the audio/visuals and my friend's expensive flight stick blew me away! an hour later I was bored to tears. I also haven't "really" played a mmo since diablo 2, and looking back, it was as mindlessly addictive as any freemium cellphone game. (I even paid ebay for some lucky charms)

But now I've seen the light! Sure, Star Citizen is going to be boring as gently caress, but such is life. The name of the game is "immersion"! I don't know how many of you were stupid enough to buy GTA5 twice, but I just did. Being able to drink beer in first person was worth the $36 alone. True, GTA5 doesn't have as much head-bob as SC, but any true immersion fan knows, getting drunk and bobbling your head back and forth (like an unsure person from India) gets rid of that floaty feeling.

If Star Citizen can pull off the level of immersion in a game like Shenmue (take off your shoes when entering your house, dial a rotary phone mini-game, work a fork lifting job, months worth of procedurally generated npc daily schedules/historically accurate weather patterns) I'm sure it will be able to achieve a similar success (Every Dreamcast owner worldwide needed to buy the game twice for it to break even)... how many people own $5,000 gaming PCs again?

I just worry about the lives that are going to be destroyed once this game comes out and is everything everyone wants it to be. I have a friend who suffers from WoW addiction. Just like a drug, he moved up to the harder stuff, like D&D and obsessive Warhammer collecting. Sure, now he's got a Chinese fiance he met on the internet to control his life. But how many others aren't so lucky, and will suffer from Star Citizen being so much better than boring ol' real life.

I'm opposed to Star Citizen because it's too good.

Any news on "grabby hands"? You can't have immersion if you can't use your hands. (I haven't watched much 2.0 yet, too many spoilers)

Keep an open mind and buy Star Citizen, just try it you might like it even though it is irredeemable lovely poo poo

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
The truth about Star Citizen 2.0 premature release

This is what I said on Nov 2nd ahead of the Star Citizen anniversary sale:

quote:

• I don't believe that there will be anything tangible in the upcoming AC 2.0. And by the time the dust settles, everyone will be wondering why it's not AC 1.47 (or whatever)
  • I believe that they will try to get that 2.0 build out in the PTU in time for the anniversary sale on or before 11/26.
  • That 2.0 build won't i) have fps (aka Star Marine) in it ii) have anything "persistent" about it iii) have anything previously promised (see below) in it
  • Probably won't support any new ships. And if it does, there will be maybe one multi-crew ship (still trying to find out which one is the likely candidate)

And whatever they release as 2.0 is purely designed as more smoke and mirrors to show "progress". So it will be a buggy mess in PTU until well into 2016. Lest you forget, AC is still a buggy mess. And whatever it is they currently have in the PTU is best not even discussed. Remember, they still can't even get buggies to work right.

Going into 2016, we'll be dealing with v2.0x builds; all of which will remain in the same buggy state that the current v1.xx builds are in.

Four years. $94m+. 500+ people. Still talking pre-Alpha. And no game in sight

2016 is the mad rush to get a scaled down version of EP1 of SQ42 out. Depending on how much they want to cut, it probably won't happen. Which is why they are currently hiring more people at Foundry 42 because all bets are now being placed on SQ42.

In the latest Around The Verse E 2.08

quote:

"You guys have seen this already, we’re up to about 15000 players right now. BugSmashers are hard at work fixing the various crashes and lag spikes and issues you discover. It has been an incredible process though. 2.0 is ***working exactly as we imagined it***, people were getting in there and seeing how Star Citizen works, it’s all coming together. There’s the FPS, there’s the multi crew combat, there’s all sorts of parts everyone’s been waiting for, it’s a great experience for us, we feel good here" - - Ben Lesnick

...then there's this exchange...

quote:

SG: Yes of course 2.0 has been on the PTU since our anniversary livestream.

BL: Yes! I know people look to us and say you planned that but it was touch and go all the way but I think Sandi had to threaten Erin Roberts at one point perhaps.

SG: Yes…..

BL: But they got it out to the first 1000 during the livestream and we’ve been ramping up since then. The stream itself was a great success. It was three hours with Chris, Erin and the rest of the team. If you have not had a chance, go back and check it out, lots of new Star Citizen content in there.

[Sandi and ben laughs]

BL: Sorry it’s my serious face!!

Someone put it best, so I'll just quote the whole thing:

quote:

"I found it interesting in the latest "Around the Verse" that Ben basically said Sandi outright demanded Erin release the Baby PU as is -- and Sandi confirmed the characterization.

This actually is illuminating for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, it suggests power dynamics that are quite difficult to see from our cheap seats. Though their account can be read as semi-humorous-- it's easy to believe this is somewhat representative of their dynamic-- that Sandi (Chris' wife / VP of Marketing) ultimately has the authority to tell Erin (Chris' brother / Executive Producer) what to do.

That it should NOT be this way is obvious-- Erin as Executive Producer, one with a longer term track record of gaming success than his brother (and a history of saving his own brother's arse)-- shouldn't be pushed around by a VP of Marketing or his brother's wife.

But it also prompts question-- why? Why was Sandi demanding Erin release it- despite his implied reservations.

The answer seems pretty clear-- Sandi knew that prospects of the entire Anniversary Sale without the Baby PU would be pretty grim. And for Sandi-- there is not other priority or consideration beyond the continued extraction of wealth from the pockets of the Sperg Militant.

Fixing customer service-- so they stop having 4+ week trouble ticket queues?

"Screw it-- that would mean hiring more people. Let the current employees suffer with never ending backlogs and pissed off backers, and let the backers think that lengthy delays are actually normal rather than a complete embarrassment..."

Fixing our slow-as-hell, pathetically subpar and disorganized China-based merchandising / shipping operation so the fans can get stuff more quickly?

"Screw it-- who cares if it takes a month to deliver things, and our shipper loses loads of inventory often, and fans who get broken / misprinted / subpar merch end up having to wait 3-5 weeks to get through the support queue, after waiting just as long for delivery, whereupon they'll wait yet another month to get a replacement? Let them think China is actually a brilliant solution delivering higher quality stuff than America or Europe can match and it's worth the wait. Because that means we can squeeze even more bucks out of their sperg asses."

For Sandi, the only measure of CIG's success is cash in the bank and furnishings in the Santa Monica office (and surely the Roberts home / life). Screw quality of support, product, or game or workplace experience. Keep the money rolling in at all costs. Everyone else -- backers, employees, other offices -- can suck it".

ps: Go gently caress yourself, Karl

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

G0RF posted:

I saw a Derek Smart donation to BadNewsBaron last week and he cut the feed for 8 seconds so nobody would hear the message. Oh how I laughed.

You can pretend to be whoever you want to be when you donate on Twitch. If I wasn't such a poor person, I'd troll the gently caress out of SC streams with messages from Sandi, Chris and others :)

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/3410084/#Comment_3410084

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

It weirds me out when people refer to Star Citizen developers by their first names, like they're old friends.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

G0RF posted:

yeah it was that guy!

haha he didn't cut it this time, just said some dumb stuff about that being a problem with being a fan of star citizen and everyone in the chat lolled then went quiet

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

nopantsjack posted:

hi derek

did you donate to some star citizen streamer in the last hour or so who had a text to speech thingy to attack some SCultists

just asking it was funny

Nope. Got link?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Lastgirl posted:

ok so when is Derek Smart gonna start up litigation?

Definitely hold your breath.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

Someone put it best, so I'll just quote the whole thing:

Derek you nick stuff from this thread all the time, I doubt many people care but you know you don't have to quote it back to us. We were here, we most of us read it the first time.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

G0RF posted:

heh yeah, that was hilarious.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

original post, please do not steel

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

FactsAreUseless posted:

It weirds me out when people refer to Star Citizen developers by their first names, like they're old friends.

It weirds me out when people refer to Star Citizen as a game

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

AP posted:

Derek you nick stuff from this thread all the time, I doubt many people care but you know you don't have to quote it back to us. We were here, we most of us read it the first time.

Yeah, I know, but I do it for completeness; especially if I use it outside of SA. Also when stuff spans several posts, it's better to just put it all in one place for context; otherwise I'd just provide the SA links to the post.

ps: It's not "nicking" if I quote the source. I do that all the time, even with memes. :)

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

FactsAreUseless posted:

I hope you're ready to be creeped the gently caress out:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/288556/

11 pages of perfectly normal, psychologically balanced conversation with the sperg hives closest friend, lover, and confidant, Sandi Gardiner.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Toops posted:

11 pages of perfectly normal, psychologically balanced conversation with the sperg hives closest friend, lover, and confidant, Sandi Gardiner.
Is that thread going to make me feel deeply uncomfortable like that "support group" thread?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Mirificus posted:

Is that thread going to make me feel deeply uncomfortable like that "support group" thread?

Grab a cushion to bite if you are going to read that thread

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Derek you seem to be spending less time on SA these last couple weeks. Something big in the works?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

FactsAreUseless posted:

the problem is that the devs pretend they are people's friend to get more money out of them

like Dickwulf, they pretend to like Dickwulf even though they apparently make fun of the dude for being an unemployed weirdo who spends what money he gets in on star citizen, buys the developers food, etc

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Toops posted:

I know there are a lot of sad, lonely men on the internet and all, but that thread... :magical:

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Guy shredded to bits for asking a question, it's alpha!

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

This post I just made on SA.com is more persistent than anything in the persistent universe.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

D_Smart posted:

The truth about Star Citizen 2.0 premature release

This is what I said on Nov 2nd ahead of the Star Citizen anniversary sale:

quote:
I don't believe that there will be anything tangible in the upcoming AC 2.0. And by the time the dust settles, everyone will be wondering why it's not AC 1.47 (or whatever)
I believe that they will try to get that 2.0 build out in the PTU in time for the anniversary sale on or before 11/26.
That 2.0 build won't i) have fps (aka Star Marine) in it ii) have anything "persistent" about it iii) have anything previously promised (see below) in it
Probably won't support any new ships. And if it does, there will be maybe one multi-crew ship (still trying to find out which one is the likely candidate)

Seriously, why even quote yourself when it is obviously wrong? :( There are issues with Star Citizen without having to make stuff up.

"I don't believe that there will be anything tangible in the upcoming AC 2.0. And by the time the dust settles, everyone will be wondering why it's not AC 1.47 (or whatever)"
It is obviously completely different from AC 1.xx and has very little in common with it. If you wanted to find some criticism here it would be easy: They have obviously not followed their own iterative approach plans and have built a completely forked version of AC1.x

"I believe that they will try to get that 2.0 build out in the PTU in time for the anniversary sale on or before 11/26."
This was true, but wasn't exactly hard to guess.

"That 2.0 build won't i) have fps (aka Star Marine) in it"
This was obviously wrong. What could have been a valid criticism could be sataball being thrown away, which is a shame.

"have anything "persistent" about it"
This is true.

"iii) have anything previously promised (see below) in it Probably won't support any new ships. And if it does, there will be maybe one multi-crew ship (still trying to find out which one is the likely candidate)"
Obviously wrong. 2 multicrew ships, 2 new variants for a single seater and a long list of features. The issue isn't a lack of content / progress, it's a painfully obvious lack of QA.

I mean I know you have a hard-on on Star Citizen bashing, but at least try to stick to the actual issues instead of making them up. Reposting incorrect predictions also looks silly.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

[–]jurc11 2 pontos an hour ago
Imagine the alphas you've played 3 years before you've played them. How would that look like?

quote:

[–]agse10[S,🍰] 1 ponto an hour ago
Are you saying the game is still 3 years from being released?

quote:

[–]jurc11 2 pontos an hour ago
No, see my other comment. If we're at the year 3 mark and the usual time it takes to make an AAA title is 6 years on average, then assuming other developers release their 'alphas' at around the year 6 mark, you can rewind their alphas 3 years into the past, image how they looked like and there's the answer to why this looks less polished.

Read that sentence. READ IT.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Everyone else in the industry just has a beta that they call an alpha. Cloud Imperium Games is the only one doing it the RIGHT WAY. We are lucky to be experiencing such a revolution in game development, to be exposed to the TRUE FORM of what an alpha is SUPPOSED to be!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

By Golly

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

If that person doesn't turn out to be a serial killer I'm going to be surprised.

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011
What is their obsession with Restoration Hardware anyway? It is extremely overpriced furniture that you can easily google and laugh at their bad decisions.

Flatulance-a-lot
Jun 3, 2011

His letter is gonna be a real doozy.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

peter gabriel posted:

Grab a cushion to bite if you are going to read that thread

What thread? Please link for awesomeness.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Ahahaha, they're actually afraid to say Derek Smart

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

kordansk posted:

What is their obsession with Restoration Hardware anyway? It is extremely overpriced furniture that you can easily google and laugh at their bad decisions.

Probably owned by a friend.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
PSA: Sales tracking numbers.

They seem on target for a better anniversary sale yield than last year's, with a chance at besting 2013's anniversary take, too. But beating last November's total revenue number might take a little extra juicing since the baseline was so much lower pre-sale...

So-- anyone else here expect CIG to roll out yet another "never to be sold again" surprise in the last 3 days?

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

grimcreaper posted:

What thread? Please link for awesomeness.

I find your forum skills lacking.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

mashed_penguin posted:

If that person doesn't turn out to be a serial killer I'm going to be surprised.

By golly, this game sure attracts some real weirdos...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I have been listening to that wtfosaurus dude on twitch try to log-in without crashing to the loving game for 10 minutes. Seems like a fun game.

• Locked thread