Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
On principle I don't pre-order or play early access games but this game looks awesome and I'll definitely pick it up on release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VStraken
Oct 27, 2013

Amarcarts posted:

On principle I don't pre-order or play early access games but this game looks awesome and I'll definitely pick it up on release.

Just so you're aware, with regards to the dev (and I mean this in the best way possible) he's pretty much Toady One with a love for space, but with a lot less :spergin:. This game's been in development for at least 5 years and it's still in Alpha. Still lots to experience in the game, but you'll be waiting a while if you're looking for a complete game.

I don't see Blackrock in this list. :colbert:

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

VStraken posted:

Just so you're aware, with regards to the dev (and I mean this in the best way possible) he's pretty much Toady One with a love for space, but with a lot less :spergin:.

And with a compulsion to bug checking and internal testing that makes every release not only a massive update, but super stable from the get-go. There was only one rare CTD bug in the last major release that occurred in the a really difficult to replicate circumstance and that a and it was fixed within about...ten hours

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

VStraken posted:

I don't see Blackrock in this list. :colbert:

Soon

When this guy finishes smoking it will be released. (note: release not actually being held up by new portraits)

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I picked this up last night and whooooo boy its more than I bargained for.

I played Escape Velocity to death back when I was a kid, and am always looking for stuff in the genre. This was going to be my latest try. Imagine my suprise when I download it and it seems to do most of what EV does, with gorgeous art, tons of fluff text (I adore that stuff), loving fleet actions using their own interface (reminds me of the game Ares, of the same generation as the first EV), hugely customizable ships, characters, moving economies and I don't even know what else.

However, how the gently caress do I avoid pirate fleets when I'm just starting out? Because they kick my rear end even in the starting system.

SovietPotatoe
May 14, 2011

Master of the Duncspawn Taint

Count Roland posted:

I picked this up last night and whooooo boy its more than I bargained for.

I played Escape Velocity to death back when I was a kid, and am always looking for stuff in the genre. This was going to be my latest try. Imagine my suprise when I download it and it seems to do most of what EV does, with gorgeous art, tons of fluff text (I adore that stuff), loving fleet actions using their own interface (reminds me of the game Ares, of the same generation as the first EV), hugely customizable ships, characters, moving economies and I don't even know what else.

However, how the gently caress do I avoid pirate fleets when I'm just starting out? Because they kick my rear end even in the starting system.

If you're doing bounties early on you can trail faction patrols and join in on their battles. If you're traveling between systems turn off the transponder so pirates don't see you from a billion miles away, just make sure you keep clear off faction patrols then because they get mad if they catch you with the transponder off. And even if you do get caught depending on your starting ship you should be able to just disengage, a Wolf can easily outrun just about anything in a pirate fleet, especially if you have some points in helmsmanship.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Instead of avoiding them, stay close to the big Hegemony fleets and fight along side them. You'll get a couple grand for every kill you manage to steal and access to Hegemony military markets on Jangala after a few fights. If you're hell bent on playing keepaway, go to a system without a Hegemony presence and leave your transponder off, that'll generally make people leave you alone.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Thanks you two.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

Count Roland posted:

Take the Bounty Hunter, Heavy Weapon start to get a Wolf and a Heavy Blaster. Then swap out your middle PD laser for an Ion Cannon, you might have to get that off the black market. Put your Ion Cannon in its own weapons group but don't set it to autofire. Then in battle once you get the enemy's shields down or if you're facing a shieldless enemy, press Ctrl plus the number of the Ion Cannon's weapons group to toggle it on autofire. This will utterly wreck the unshielded Hounds and Cerberuses that make up 90% of your enemies in the early game and give you a decent chance to survive when the Safety Override Cerberuses that the Luddic Path uses come out of nowhere and ambush you.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Any idea if a mod is causing this error or just a random bug?

code:
4357202 [Thread-5] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain  - java.lang.NullPointerException
java.lang.NullPointerException
	at com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.events.InvestigationEventGoodRepWithOther.pickMarket(InvestigationEventGoodRepWithOther.java:346)
	at com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.events.InvestigationEventGoodRepWithOther.startEvent(InvestigationEventGoodRepWithOther.java:126)
	at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.events.CampaignEventManager.processNextEventCheck(Unknown Source)
	at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.events.CampaignEventManager.advance(Unknown Source)
	at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.CampaignEngine.advance(Unknown Source)
	at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.CampaignState.advance(Unknown Source)
	at com.fs.starfarer.BaseGameState.traverse(Unknown Source)
	at com.fs.state.AppDriver.begin(Unknown Source)
	at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain.main(Unknown Source)
	at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$2.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
code:
1268493 [Thread-5] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain  - java.lang.NullPointerException
	at com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.events.InvestigationEventGoodRepWithOther.pickMarket(InvestigationEventGoodRepWithOther.java:346)
	at com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.events.InvestigationEventGoodRepWithOther.startEvent(InvestigationEventGoodRepWithOther.java:126)
	at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.events.CampaignEventManager.processNextEventCheck(Unknown Source)
	at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.events.CampaignEventManager.advance(Unknown Source)

Geburan
Nov 4, 2010
What's the current recommended skill build? I keep going full science +op skills since it affects the whole fleet, but I never get far enough to get a full fleet.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Dodoman posted:

Any idea if a mod is causing this error or just a random bug?

code:
4357202 [Thread-5] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain  - java.lang.NullPointerException
code:
1268493 [Thread-5] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain  - java.lang.NullPointerException

Did you disable the Investigation checks mentioned on the last page?

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
No I haven't.

Just a few basic mods + Shadowyards:

Lazylib, Shaderlib, Common Radar, Version Checker, Target Pip, Console commands, Version checker.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

given the name of the function where it crashed, my guess is that it's a mod faction without a market that is either investigating your or your ties to them being investigated by another faction

my suggestion is to either disable factions without markets or just mod the game to disable the investigations due to good relations

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Danke, will give that a shot and report back.

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

Geburan posted:

What's the current recommended skill build? I keep going full science +op skills since it affects the whole fleet, but I never get far enough to get a full fleet.

Probably should dig deep into combat before splitting off science/leadership.
The difference in performance between a no combat ship and max rank is quite noticeable and fleet building is apparently significantly slower.
Id recommend rushing the leadership skill that reduces min crew after pumping combat a bit. If it still exists.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I usually pump 5 into Science for Applied Physics and the one that at 5 gives extra non-missile weapon range. I also fill out some of the other ship buffing science skills, then start dropping points into combat.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

More questions:

How do I retreat from combat? I've seen an enemy do it, and the default key for "Initiate travel drive to retreat" is Enter. But how is this done?

e: Also, as the Wolf, how do I use the teleport function?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Count Roland posted:

More questions:

How do I retreat from combat? I've seen an enemy do it, and the default key for "Initiate travel drive to retreat" is Enter. But how is this done?

In a fighting retreat battle you must be at the Northern/top edge of the battle map to initiate a retreat. In a normal engagement I think its the bottom, where you come in from. Once you're close enough to the border the tooltip will pop up.

e: The Wolf's teleport and all ships abilities are bound to 'F' by default. Teleport protip: It will automatically face you towards your target, if you have one selected. Useful for not blinking behind someone only to present your own engines to them.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
If you plan on using non-laser based PD getting Gunnery up is really important to deal with missiles and fighters (unless you're using Flak). If you plan on ignoring missiles, shield tanking them or using laser PD, you can focus on Combat to get speedy, nimble and powerful.

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future
Is there any Independent colony anywhere that has a military page to buy more ships and weapons? They're the only ones I have at friendly and can't find anything to buy from them that isnt open market.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

BitterAvatar posted:

Is there any Independent colony anywhere that has a military page to buy more ships and weapons? They're the only ones I have at friendly and can't find anything to buy from them that isnt open market.

IIRC it's in the Askonia system

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

BitterAvatar posted:

Nortia in the Askonia system has a Military tab. It's a barren planet that's surrounded by a cloud of asteroids.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

AirborneNinja posted:

Probably should dig deep into combat before splitting off science/leadership.
The difference in performance between a no combat ship and max rank is quite noticeable and fleet building is apparently significantly slower.

I'd recommend the opposite, actually. One of the fun things I'm hoping isn't a bug is that if you transfer during combat to a ship which already has a captain, you get the benefits of their combat skills, and they get experience as if they did all the face-wrecking you did. So at level 12 you can have someone with maxed missiles, maneuverability, and combat aptitude piloting your actual flagship, and you fly a mudskipper you never actually deploy to combat. I'm not 100% sure you get all the benefits, I'd need to do some more testing, but you definitely get things like the extra missile in the rack and reduced deployment cost.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Geburan posted:

I'm a fan of maximizing the science skills so that I can get as many points as possible in my entire fleet. I then finish the trifecta by going combat and getting the skill that reduces weapon costs.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Being a huge Reynolds fan, I do hope Fractal finds a way to tell us more of the world. Don't get me wrong, the flavour texts on stations and planets are really great and paint a picture of a world where stuff has happened, but as it stands there isn't really anything but a pretty picture to it. Starsector is just ripe for a kind of Dark Soulsian storytelling if they can just figure out how to make engaging storyline missions. The mechanics are a bit of a limiting factor, since there isn't anything in the game except space battles and text prompts.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

At three years in, the Inhibitors start to home in on the galactic south-west and begin to spread. :unsmigghh:

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They'll fight each other for the right of extinguishing.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
One thing I notice on mod talk, the templar ships that self destruct after being disabled? Well if catches allied ships the game will blame you for 'friendly fire'. (I assume something about it being your shot that disabled the ship and started the self destruct)

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Nexerelin just updated.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
No response, cause everyone ran to go play it.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I just picked this up on friday and it is truly and amazing game holy poo poo am I a terrible pilot.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Watch your flux and remember to use shift to face to cursor.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

And dont be afraid to lower shields and take some damage if it means getting the kill, your armor is just another resource. Less so in frigates though.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Amarcarts posted:

For what it's worth, this was in early access before early access was properly a thing, like Minecraft and Mount & Blade. I get the distinct impression that the dev doesn't actually fund development via sales, either - it seems more like something he plugs away at in-between his real job, with the sales being a handy bonus rather than the only thing keeping the game afloat.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Tomn posted:

For what it's worth, this was in early access before early access was properly a thing, like Minecraft and Mount & Blade. I get the distinct impression that the dev doesn't actually fund development via sales, either - it seems more like something he plugs away at in-between his real job, with the sales being a handy bonus rather than the only thing keeping the game afloat.

Alex quit his day job in 2011 to work full time on Starfarer and has publicly stated pre-release sales have secured its future for years to come. That was in 2011 and it appears sales have steadily continued/increased and in no financial danger.
Someone else probably has more up to date information but I doubt it's changed.

Relevant blog post.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Strumpie posted:

Alex quit his day job in 2011 to work full time on Starfarer and has publicly stated pre-release sales have secured its future for years to come. That was in 2011 and it appears sales have steadily continued/increased and in no financial danger.
Someone else probably has more up to date information but I doubt it's changed.

Relevant blog post.

Really? Goddamn, I wouldn't have expected that, if only because of how long development has been taking. How many pre-release sales did he get, anyways?

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Sales have steadily increased because this game is ballin'.

He makes a good thing, makes no promises whatsoever, and then delivers the things he never promised, and people are like "Dayum".

It's the exact opposite of the current massive trend in crowd funding where you promise the whole goddamn world up front and beg for cash, then deliver whatever you feel like/can manage as the realities of what you promised chip away at your sanity and time/cash reserves.

Alex for super-dev.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Tarezax posted:

Watch your flux and remember to use shift to face to cursor.

Yes I am bad at both of these things, also using the Wolf's phase shift to any real use. It does however serve to make no combat trivial- it makes me really watch my step everywhere I go, because even inferior enemies sometimes kick my rear end.

The Wolf feels like a rapier of a ship, while I'm using it as more of a baseball bat. I'm actually making money now that I figured out trading, so I might get myself a heaftier ship that can haul cargo. Mules are slow as gently caress though. Do I need good rep with a faction to get decent ships, or are there some on the market somewhere?

I'm curious as to why this game isn't on steam. It is very polished for a so-called alpha build, I only had a single crash and everything in the game seems to work beautifully. There is also an absurd amount of content; there's a god drat library of ships and guns and cargo and flavour text, all of which I really like.

Being a huge fan of Escape Velocity, but also being interested in trading games like Patrician, as well as tactics/strategy games, this game ticks an incredible number of boxes for me. I'm extremely impressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

To get more or less guaranteed access to good ships and weapons you have to build faction rep, but occasionally you may get lucky on the black market. I always check the black market when I come into port for that reason.