Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I'd probably drop Asterisk if i wasn't the OP of this very exciting thread. This week's episode was kind of fun, i guess. At least Saya was in it a lot, maybe her and Kirin will go on another date sometime.

It does at least make Chivalry look a whole lot better by comparison.

Ikki is much more interesting than whatshisface from the other one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

ASterisk has a much better supporting cast so far.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

a kitten posted:

I'd probably drop Asterisk if i wasn't the OP of this very exciting thread. This week's episode was kind of fun, i guess. At least Saya was in it a lot, maybe her and Kirin will go on another date sometime.

It does at least make Chivalry look a whole lot better by comparison.

Ikki is much more interesting than whatshisface from the other one.

When did Ichigo downgrade to Renji's bankai?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Watched up to EP4 of the Chivalry show.

I liked how the rival (voiced by Kirito, no less!) wasn't afraid of coming off as a gigantic pussy to avoid getting a the good-ole' sword-to-the-face. It does piss me off that he was rocking a slightly less cool version of the classic Iori Yagami style. If you ain't gonna commit fully to the Yagami style hit the bricks, dipshit. :mad:

AtomikKrab posted:

ASterisk has a much better supporting cast so far.

The sister in Chivalry does wear out her welcome real loving fast. Alice rules, though.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Wark Say posted:

I liked how the rival (voiced by Kirito, no less!) wasn't afraid of coming off as a gigantic pussy to avoid getting a the good-ole' sword-to-the-face. It does piss me off that he was rocking a slightly less cool version of the classic Iori Yagami style. If you ain't gonna commit fully to the Yagami style hit the bricks, dipshit. :mad:

The sister in Chivalry does wear out her welcome real loving fast. Alice rules, though.

Alice is good but so is the student council pres.

Alice is very good but that sister is just so terrible so far

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

incest sister hasn't gotten more than a minute per episode for the last 3 or 4 episodes or something, i'm hoping that this trend will continue

meanwhile, samurai chick's plot concludes with the lesson that swordfighting is loving awesome, which i am pretty ok with

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I like how having particularly good reflexes is worthy of having a fancy special move name in English.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
I'm probably reaching a bit, but Chivalry this week read like someone put a couple episodes of Rurouni Kenshin in a blender, then poured the bits over the setting. Not necessarily in a bad way, but it stuck out to me.

I found Asterisk boring, but it was probably deemed a necessary episode for character development, or something. "Something" means "blu-ray sales."

What would be the best way to mix these two shows to make them better? I'd lean towards replacing everyone but the leads and Alice in Chivalry with Asterisk's supporting cast.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Wark Say posted:

You'll be happy to know then that the sister has, for the most part, ceased her attempts to get brotherdick at this point.

She'll still egg Stella on, but that's a different thing than her first few appearances.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Failed Knight has a better sense of fun about itself (you can tell its the BakaTest guys' work). It plays up its tropes with a degree of fun (wait, I goofed, I'ma take my clothes off so lets call it even) and Ikki and Stella are just so much better a protagonist team than Ayato and Princess Whatshername.

Also it has Alice, the best one of the three.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Kytrarewn posted:

You'll be happy to know then that the sister has, for the most part, ceased her attempts to get brotherdick at this point.

She'll still egg Stella on, but that's a different thing than her first few appearances.

Shizuku being protective of her brother on account of the Kurogane family constantly making GBS threads on him strikes me as an actual good trait. It's just that her introduction and what followed after made me dislike her a bunch because :cmon:

I kinda wish it was more like Komachi looking out for Hachiman in the SNAFU show. So if what you're saying is legit and she backing off on the whole "Onii-sama :swoon:" and just being a pain in the rear end by egging Stella to try and get the princess to stop being a stick-in-the-mud with regards to her brother, then that's fine with me.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Wark Say posted:

I kinda wish it was more like Komachi looking out for Hachiman in the SNAFU show. So if what you're saying is legit and she backing off on the whole "Onii-sama :swoon:" and just being a pain in the rear end by egging Stella to try and get the princess to stop being a stick-in-the-mud with regards to her brother, then that's fine with me.
Most characters should aspire to be SNAFU characters.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Wark Say posted:

I kinda wish it was more like Komachi looking out for Hachiman in the SNAFU show.

Twiddy posted:

Most characters should aspire to be SNAFU characters.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nglPhQ1uEBQ

Best imouto confirmed.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

if incest sister was just protective about her brother instead of incestuous i'd like her a lot more. i'd say it's less "she's backed off" and more "she's barely appeared" though

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

ConanThe3rd posted:

Failed Knight has a better sense of fun about itself (you can tell its the BakaTest guys' work). It plays up its tropes with a degree of fun (wait, I goofed, I'ma take my clothes off so lets call it even) and Ikki and Stella are just so much better a protagonist team than Ayato and Princess Whatshername.

The adaption's doing a good job of cutting out a lot of the excesses too. There's much less WORST ONE in the dialogue, scenes are moved around to promote the flow (originally the entire flashback this episode took place before Ikki fought Ayatsuji), the dumber details are adjusted (in the LN, Ikki and Stella have their no-touchey romance for a month), and overall everything is adjusted to be less from the viewpoint of Ikki.

The only problem continues to be Shizuku, who as far as I can tell is getting her incest thing amped to appeal to nerds. I mean look at this segment from the LN:

quote:

But there was no woman in this world that would permit her lover to have a relationship that obviously passed the borders of love, even if it was her lover's sister. And of course, Stella didn't like it either. But she could not say it. That's why she sank into vexed silence.

And Shizuku glanced at that Stella looking a bit disappointed.

"Coward."

In any case the show should be heading into its Volume 3 soon, which should be interesting if only to see if they'll stick to keeping things from Stella's viewpoint.

oh and i guess i should watch asterisk too

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

oh and i guess i should watch asterisk too

meh

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Yeah, I re-watched the first three episodes to confirm my suspensions and god were they boring as hell. It's like Asterisk is the boring generic version of what Failed is doing. The trashy vampire romance YA Novel that tries to ride Twilight's coat tails.

Or something. Point is- Asterisk isn't worth the bother.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Komachi is the best. :3:

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Wark Say posted:

Komachi is the best. :3:

Komachi is the younger sister that all anime younger sisters should aspire to be.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
which show has the raddest titties

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Asterisk shoves tits and rear end in your face so much that it's literally all I remember about the show, so I guess that.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
chivalry is tolerable

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
So is there a reason for the almost-identical light-saber noises in Asterisk orrrrr

I get there's a thing in it called "Star Wars festival" but that combined with the really bad "charge at each other with one strike and one person falls over, defeated" trope in the opening episode make me almost laugh audibly

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Literally The Worst posted:

chivalry is tolerable

It's wierd, and maybe me having gotten so used to dumb fan-service that when something has the occasional bit of cheesecake it just washes over me, but chivalry's fanservice (largely left to off moments and the end cards, the ED's is what it is) doesn't bother me that much.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

there was that one time they ended an episode on a far too long mutual bath scene, but otherwise i haven't found myself getting too annoyed at chivalry's fanservice

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That bath scene owned for pink hair having to ask whatshisface 'Do you like boobs?'

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

That bath scene owned for pink hair having to ask whatshisface 'Do you like boobs?'

She's very proactive.

and also cute

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Oh yeah, I forgot her stand sort of does that.

Then again, I thought Ice Cream beard was a hilarious escalation of the classic "Cream on the face" bit so yeah.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Nov 27, 2015

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
Asterisk's upcoming Vita game is getting an extra language option on release, apparently. They didn't say which, but the video is subtitled in English, and the announcement was at an annual anime festival for Southeast Asia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHlQoTqj50w

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
I don't have enough terrible vita games yet. I'll probably wind up buying that.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

SOX needs to get to work in the Chivalry-verse stat.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
I see european sex-ed has really gone down hill since the anime-pocolypse.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
I also enjoyed the, "I would gladly have sex with you but then how could we ever look your parents in the eyes again you whore."

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

That's not really how i would characterize that, but whatever. She's an Actual Princess and honestly i'm surprised actual sex got brought up at all.
Anyway, turns out i'm truly enjoying Chivalry of a Failed Knight even with its flaws. Catgirl Flash was fun to watch.

It was another meh week for Asterisk, at least the boke/tsukkomi robot duo was an amusing idea.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Nov 29, 2015

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I liked when the new girl cut the pillarboxing from the screen.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Is his sister still trying to jump his bone? And by that, I mean have sex with him.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

a kitten posted:

It was another meh week for Asterisk, at least the boke/tsukkomi robot do was an amusing idea.
Yeah, that was about the only interesting thing, it was a particularly dull week. I don't know whose idea it was to create a setting where people can fight with cool weapons and magical powers and decide that what it really needs are invincible robots. Though to be fair, Saya is the only one who knows how to make her "fights" entertaining, so it's just as well.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

a kitten posted:

She's an Actual Princess and honestly i'm surprised actual sex got brought up at all.

More to the point, I was surprised that they brought up Ikki's uncomfortable erection after having to help her undress. Bodily functions (other than stomachs growling and hair antennae) are typically ignored wholesale in these things.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

drilldo squirt posted:

Is his sister still trying to jump his bone? And by that, I mean have sex with him.

she got a bunch of screentime this episode but no trying to jump his bone, though there was a line about how she doesn't approve of Main Couple Being Together.

this was probably related to her being in a totally separate location the whole episode though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
So besides that, how's the show?

• Locked thread