Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Companion question: Does Cait do more damage with a 'Junkie' modified weapon? I can't seem to find an answer for it even if it is an incredibly obtuse question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Concurred posted:

Companion question: Does Cait do more damage with a 'Junkie' modified weapon? I can't seem to find an answer for it even if it is an incredibly obtuse question.

I don't think Cait actually suffers from withdrawal in terms of gameplay effects, it's just characterization, so my guess is that the increased damage would not take effect since it's based on the character's withdrawal symptoms

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Question, I came across an endless two-barreled shotgun (aka never have to reload). Would it be better to upgrade to combat shotgun for the damage or have I just mitigated the two-barreled's biggest weakness

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Holy poo poo, I love how some really memorable situations can arise from completely incidental events. Just now, while following Dogmeat for a quest, I randomly saw two Deathclaws just Godzillaing the hell out of each other a ways up the road and decided to hang back and watch. Unfortunately the winner still noticed me and charged over. Luckily I'd looted a Fat Man only three minutes before, but I'd passed it off to Piper to carry. I managed to sprint over to her and trade it back just in time to nuke the Deathclaw at the last second like an action movie hero.

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009
What are the best perks to go if I want to be a melee monster? I'm at around level 15 already but I specced mostly into strength and endurance (thinking I would want to be super strong and tanky) with ~4 points in agility.

It's been underwhelming so far since I end up killing one enemy then looking for a bed right away, and I usually switch to a shotgun for any not trash enemy.

Am I doing this wrong, or does it just take forever to ramp up? I just got the level 3 melee perk (that increases disarn chance even more) and its finally feeling more consistent, but still pretty weak

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Deathclaws seem oddly easy in this game. They are pretty much the only big deal melee enemy and it feels like there is just so much ability to pump so much damage into one before it even gets near that I never have any real feeling of fear from them even though they are graphically the most scary and impressive enemy.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Transistor Rhythm posted:

Hi guys, I am finally able to dig into this game (pesky real life getting in the way) in earnest, and I have a few head-scratchers about the interface:

1. How do you get a companion to drop stuff once they're totally encumbered? I'm stuck with Piper wearing garbage armor and I can't give her better stuff.

2. How on earth do you keep track of weapons for upgrading/scrapping in workbench menus since alphabetical seems to be the only sort option? I've been going through the hassle of naming things goofy names and <3' 'ing them just to keep track of which ones are my main ones. There's got to be a better way?

1. You take the stuff from them so that they are not encumbered any more. Then give them the new stuff.
2. If they are your main weapons they should already be <3d because you're using them. If you're not using it but want to keep it for later then put it into a footlocker in your house or some poo poo idk

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Earwicker posted:

My point is that in F4 the character already has motivations before the player even takes control. In earlier Bethesda games that wasn't the case, you had to choose to start certain quests before those came into play.

Can we really say this is true? Outside of Morrowind and Skyrim, the Elder Scrolls series had given you your main story mission with a good sense of urgency attached, and in the case of the first two entries, while malleable, your origins and history as Nobility in the Imperial City are pretty well set. Heck, even in the case of Skyrim you're given a great deal of urgency to work on the main quest during the Helgen sequence, you just have the option to toss it aside by accepting Hadvir/Ralof's invitation to split up on the way to Riverwood and then ditching him.

Which is to say nothing of Fallout's traditions. In Fallout 1 and 2 you are given a slightly malleable background, are pre-defined as the champion of a faction and have a MacGuffin to chase with a game over time limit thrown on to boot. Fallout 3 is only different by making you an exile of your Faction of Origin as opposed to their Champion and Only Hope and removing any time limit on finding the MacGuffin (who, by the way, is a person now as opposed to piece of Make-Life-Easier-Tech, but don't worry they bring back the Make-Life-Easier-Tech MacGuffin later).

quote:

IMO it's not about the endings, it's more that creating motivations and a supposed sense of urgency on behalf of the character is at odds with the openness of the game world.

Sure it's easy to ignore once you get into the game and that's exactly what I've done, but it's a valid criticism and I hope Bethesda goes back to protagonists without any kind of default background.

Now you definitely have a point here. The sense of urgency and motivations you are given is entirely at odds with the open world game design they have, and it is something they really need to work on. That said, there is nothing for Bethesda to "go back" to. This is their MO, the flaws have just been exaggerated by the need to refine that backstory further so they can fit in a voiced PC.

Morrowind was pretty much the only time they did a good job of reconciling the urgent, world saving main story quest with their open world that you're free to faff about in.

i am tim! fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Nov 30, 2015

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Nearly 110 hours played in over slightly more than 2 weeks, and I have barely touched the main game storyline. I don't know if it's the problem of the storyline or what, but just wandering around in this game and making your own way seems more entertaining. Yesterday I spent literally hours just wandering around the city exploring buildings- I had meant to go check on the Constitution after her voyage, and eventually did but I ended up just getting caught up in everything around. I found a junkyard full of supermutants who got the attention of some BoS verts, which attracted raiders when the BoS got stomped, more mutants came, raiders held well enough until another vert, gunner this time, came along and inevitably crashed right into the melee in a hail of minigun fire- afterwards when looting everything I found minutemen and synth bodies too. It feels like a whole play is going on and I get to play a bit part, rather than everything revolving around me. Maybe that's the problem with the theme of the writing- I don't want to be the automatic savior of any faction this time around, just let me explore this world.

I miss the writing and mission variety (more in terms of ways to resolve missions) from NV, but that's about it.

Oh, and if anyone is debating waiting due to hardware, don't. I'm below spec on pretty much everything bar GPU and most settings are smooth enough on normal, I think you could probably rig a toaster to play this on minimum everything.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

double nine posted:

Question, I came across an endless two-barreled shotgun (aka never have to reload). Would it be better to upgrade to combat shotgun for the damage or have I just mitigated the two-barreled's biggest weakness

Eh, the combat shotty's higher damage combined with a drum mag pretty much makes reloading a non-issue anyway, no fight is gonna last long enough for you to empty the 32 round mag.

On the other hand the double barrel looks loving sweet, so hey why not go with that.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i am tim! posted:

Can we really say this is true? Outside of Morrowind and Skyrim, the Elder Scrolls series had given you your main story mission with a good sense of urgency attached, and in the case of the first two entries, while malleable, your origins and history as Nobility in the Imperial City are pretty well set. Heck, even in the case of Skyrim you're given a great deal of urgency to work on the main quest during the Helgen sequence, you just have the option to toss it aside by accepting Hadvir/Ralof's invitation to split up on the way to Riverwood and then ditching him.

Yeah it's true there was something there in previous titles, but it was a lot looser and in F4 it feels so much more specific. Basically like they just made more of the character for you, complete with a previous family life etc. and your motivations at the outset are so much more personal. In Skyrim if you take off to go do something else after Helgen you'll never hear about being the Dragonborn.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Deathclaws seem oddly easy in this game. They are pretty much the only big deal melee enemy and it feels like there is just so much ability to pump so much damage into one before it even gets near that I never have any real feeling of fear from them even though they are graphically the most scary and impressive enemy.

Well they are the first big enemy you confront, usually at a very low level with not much equipment or ammo yet, so to some extent it makes sense that they are easy

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
The followers will not automatically equip weapons or armor from the inventory, not reliably at least. Press T to equip whatever you need them to use. If you need them to use a ranged weapon, make sure to give them ammo as well.

I have Piper the Alien blaster and she used all 400 ammo in like 2 skirmishes. What an rear end in a top hat. A high powered single shot weapon, like a snippet rifle, will make that ammo go a long way.

Also, make boxes next to your crafting stations and sort your materials and items. Dumping everything into a work bench is loving stupid. I've over 100k crafting materials in the bench at level 55, that poo poo adds up quick. Wish there was a reliable way to get aluminium tho

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

The thing you're forgetting is that in skyrim, morrowind et al, you can decide what kind if person your character is and what they're good it. It's immersion breaking to be a retarded lawyer who hits gigantic beasts with baseball bats until they explode because no matter what you're always gonna be a lwayer, a mother, a wife and that limits the role playing options severely. This is magnified by the fact that everyone cries about how harsh the wasteland is...err no it isn't I just ran across it with a pistol after being frozen for 200 years even though I'm literally a white collar worker who up until being thawed thought that nappies were the scariest thing in earth.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I think I've figured out how to prevent the game from ever attacking any settlements.

When you first set up Sanctuary, talking to Sturges gives you a bunch of quests about beds, food and water. If you don't do these quests, the game never triggers the raids to start on any of your settlements. The solution is to set up Sanctuary without ever talking to Sturges, which is no great loss, settlements all function just fine regardless.

If you ever do want to start raids occurring, just quickly run through the quest dialog with him, and they will start happening.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

High level rad scorpions and glowing blood bugs are very tough melee enemies as well due to their lingering poison attacks that can stack with their normal attacks.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Deathclaws can't go through doorways. Stand in a door and fire your entire stash of .38 garbage at it. I've done it on 1st scripted encounter because I fell off the catwalk and didn't want to go back up to actually get the power armor. Took like 10 min tho

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Is there any serious penalty to just ignoring settlement quests? I really don't want to bother with these farms.

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

Knuc U Kinte posted:

The thing you're forgetting is that in skyrim, morrowind et al, you can decide what kind if person your character is and what they're good it. It's immersion breaking to be a retarded lawyer who hits gigantic beasts with baseball bats until they explode because no matter what you're always gonna be a lwayer, a mother, a wife and that limits the role playing options severely. This is magnified by the fact that everyone cries about how harsh the wasteland is...err no it isn't I just ran across it with a pistol after being frozen for 200 years even though I'm literally a white collar worker who up until being thawed thought that nappies were the scariest thing in earth.

How often does this lawyer thing come up? I literally had no idea my character was a lawyer until I saw a million people complain about it and realized I didn't notice the degree on the mantelpiece.

Why not like...pretend you didn't see that, like I actually did?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
If you pick the wife, they should throw in some cheesy lawyer one liners as you kill guys in VATS.

"Case...DISMISSED!" etc

strong bird
May 12, 2009

double nine posted:

Is there any serious penalty to just ignoring settlement quests? I really don't want to bother with these farms.

They're just filler for the minecraft audience

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Jesus Christ, just use your loving imagination.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Nordick posted:

Eh, the combat shotty's higher damage combined with a drum mag pretty much makes reloading a non-issue anyway, no fight is gonna last long enough for you to empty the 32 round mag.

On the other hand the double barrel looks loving sweet, so hey why not go with that.

a limitless double barrel will outdamage any non-legendary combat shotgun. hell, it's got a faster rate of fire than even an automatic shotgun, it's just not "automatic"

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

double nine posted:

Nope, go wild. You can ignore the "settlement under attack" message as well. The worst case scenario is some settlers will die. They will quickly get replaced if you have an active beacon.

I actually just pay the ransom, when someone approaches me about the kidnapping. Then talk to Preston for easy 200exp. Money is so easy in this game, why not

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Nov 30, 2015

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

double nine posted:

Nope. Well, I think you have to do a good amount of them to unlock the Minutemen ending route if you want that one, but other than that there's no penalty at all.

I ended up regretting unlocking a lot of settlements because I kept getting bugged to defend them, to the degree that I ended up cheating myself up infinite resources just to surround every settlement with turrets so their Defense is so high I never get bothered again.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Even Military Man seems way too capable of taking down giant ogre-y super mutants and deathclaws with knives and dispatching entire armies of paramilitary guys in combat armor while wearing leather chaps and bedsprings. If he was in "the army" he must've been a serious John Rambo motherfucker. To make him "realistic" you'd have to just give him modest gun skills and maybe charisma for the whole town leadership Eagle Scout thing, maybe above-average strength and agility. But yeah, Lawyer Mom is even more limited given her backstory.

I just sucked it up and made the character I wanted to make and ignored the backstory, just like 90% of the people who play the game. If the vast majority of people completely ignore your backstory then your backstory probably isn't good and probably should've been taken out or changed drastically.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Primetime posted:

How often does this lawyer thing come up? I literally had no idea my character was a lawyer until I saw a million people complain about it and realized I didn't notice the degree on the mantelpiece.

Why not like...pretend you didn't see that, like I actually did?

It comes up in at least 1 quest...but that doesn't matter...if I'm not interested in their pre fab background that's their failing, not mine. I know I'm a lawyer who recently gave birth, and that's not only uninteresting to me, it doesn't make any sense in the world they've made/ripped off and wildly misinterpreted.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

King Vidiot posted:

I just sucked it up and made the character I wanted to make and ignored the backstory, just like 90% of the people who play the game. If the vast majority of people completely ignore your backstory then your backstory probably isn't good and probably should've been taken out or changed drastically.

IMO they should just give you a basic "choose your background" kind of thing to give you some starting stats and then just plop you out into the wasteland.

Personally, I really like the Settlements aspect of the game. I think one of the biggest flaws in Bethesda's style of open world games is the inability of the player to make a real impact on the gameworld, not just in terms of story but in terms of the physical world itself. The sort of "homestead" things they added on as a DLC for Skryim were a good incremental step towards changing that and the Settlements take it even further. Yes there are of course problems with the way it was implemented but I'd rather see them fix those problems and develop this kind of thing further rather than pull it back. I'd like to see it evolve to a point where the player can create their own faction in a meaningful way.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

King Vidiot posted:

Even Military Man seems way too capable of taking down giant ogre-y super mutants and deathclaws with knives and dispatching entire armies of paramilitary guys in combat armor while wearing leather chaps and bedsprings. If he was in "the army" he must've been a serious John Rambo motherfucker. To make him "realistic" you'd have to just give him modest gun skills and maybe charisma for the whole town leadership Eagle Scout thing, maybe above-average strength and agility. But yeah, Lawyer Mom is even more limited given her backstory.

For someone who never left the vault or used anything that wasn't a 10mm handgun, the fast-talking charismatic Vault 13 Vault Dweller sure was good at mass murdering invisible super mutants with turbo plasma rifles and power armor.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Fallout 3 isn't canon

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

RBA Starblade posted:

For someone who never left the vault or used anything that wasn't a 10mm handgun, the fast-talking charismatic Vault 13 Vault Dweller sure was good at mass murdering invisible super mutants with turbo plasma rifles and power armor.

Yeah Fallout 3's backstory sucked too, no argument there.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I need romance help. Well, video game romance help. I am hopeless with real life romance. I am trying to get with Piper. I've reached max friendshipability with her, I have her perk. I've failed every flirt option I've gotten with her, even though I have 5 or 6 CHA. Yesterday, when I went to talk with her, instead of getting the normal options, she revisited our last discussion, essentially just wanting to reconfirm what I said before. The original [Relationship] option came up; this time it was dark green instead of red, meaning I had already chosen it before. I tried save-scumming to get it, and each time I failed. I put on Agatha's dress, popped Day Tripper pills, got up to 13 CHA, and I was still getting rejected by the love of my life. Where do I go from here?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Urrggh how can my 1cha 1 int murderball mom ever get a law degree!? This is bullshit!

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

strong bird posted:

Fallout 3 isn't canon

Neither is fallout 4.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

RBA Starblade posted:

Not necessarily, the Vault 13 vault dweller also was just a great smooth talker or very sneaky depending on who you talked to. It's the Bethesda and later vault dwellers who were all unstoppable murder machines.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lot of people who never played FO1 itt.

quote:

Not necessarily, the Vault 13 vault dweller also was just a great smooth talker or very sneaky depending on who you talked to. It's the Bethesda and later vault dwellers who were all unstoppable murder machines.

The point was you're remarkably proficient at using alien, plasma, and other weaponry that nobody in your vault has seen or heard of for their entire lives. The only thing that could stop me was my good friend Ian getting behind me with an automatic weapon.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Urrggh how can my 1cha 1 int murderball mom ever get a law degree!? This is bullshit!

This, but without the gbs style sarcasm and humourless faux rage.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Revol posted:

I need romance help. Well, video game romance help. I am hopeless with real life romance. I am trying to get with Piper. I've reached max friendshipability with her, I have her perk. I've failed every flirt option I've gotten with her, even though I have 5 or 6 CHA. Yesterday, when I went to talk with her, instead of getting the normal options, she revisited our last discussion, essentially just wanting to reconfirm what I said before. The original [Relationship] option came up; this time it was dark green instead of red, meaning I had already chosen it before. I tried save-scumming to get it, and each time I failed. I put on Agatha's dress, popped Day Tripper pills, got up to 13 CHA, and I was still getting rejected by the love of my life. Where do I go from here?

You've been friend zoned, sorry

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Urrggh how can my 1cha 1 int murderball mom ever get a law degree!?

you clearly haven't met many lawyers.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

strong bird posted:

Fallout 3 isn't canon

Fallout 1, 2, and New Vegas aren't canon.

Fallout: BoS is also canon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Fallout: Deseret will be canon.

• Locked thread