Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I don't know why Chanel's correct use of i.e. and e.g. during her tirade tickled me so, but it did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice

The Saddest Rhino posted:

The Chanels in a summer camp would be pretty lol

Hopefully Ryan Murphy's involvement in season 2 (if it does get picked up) is reduced, this season's AHS is full on Murphy and it's half incomprehensible and half fun spectacles. It makes a confusing watch (other than maybe the large number of GagaButt shots)

Definitely zero ambiguity with those butt shots.

I hope it gets picked up, but I have fixed feelings about it following the same characters to another location. Even if a summer camp does sound delectably campy and fun.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

The Chanels in a summer camp would be pretty lol

Hopefully Ryan Murphy's involvement in season 2 (if it does get picked up) is reduced, this season's AHS is full on Murphy and it's half incomprehensible and half fun spectacles. It makes a confusing watch (other than maybe the large number of GagaButt shots)

From reading around, I was under the impression they were going with an AHS format of each season being it's own thing and actors coming back but in different roles was very likely going to happen especially with how the behind the scenes chemistry between the actors was pretty good and they were regretting certain characters getting killed off when they did because they were so good in the roles.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I’ve tried to enjoy this show, but it just never clicked with me. I hate the main female lead and her boyfriend and have no involvement in the central mystery at all.

I’ll finish out the season, but I believe MTV’s Scream pulled off this same concept in a much better way.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

CobiWann posted:

I’ve tried to enjoy this show, but it just never clicked with me. I hate the main female lead and her boyfriend and have no involvement in the central mystery at all.

I’ll finish out the season, but I believe MTV’s Scream pulled off this same concept in a much better way.

Grace and Pete or Chanel and Chad? One of these is the right decision to hate.

As for MTV's Scream pulling off the same thing, I don't really think so. Scream was trying to make a modern retelling of the movie and, I think, trying to be a kind homage, mixing new technology and Serial to keep it new. Scream Queens is just all out black comedy and shooting the poo poo about a ton of horror from the 80s and 90s. It's like a meaner Final Girls, mixed with The Heathers.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

I can't believe Chad never said, "I love my dead, gay Boone!" Or did he?

What's your damage, Hester?

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
Just wanted to chime and say I love Scream Queens and once again I liked the beginning of AHS until they threw too much poo poo into the mix and completely lost me.

Why does AHS always need new characters past the halfway point muddying up the plot? Alexandra Dadaddrio is great and all but we had enough people to keep track of three or four eps ago.

Scream Queens started with a lot of characters, but at least they didn't add anyone completely out of nowhere and make them central to the plot.

And Scream Queens is hilarious.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
The signature Murphy bitchy quips are fitfully amusing, but I don't give a gently caress about the central mystery or any of the characters, so I'm done. If you do, more power to you.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I don't really care about the central mystery but all the best characters are still alive so I'm still enjoying the hell out of it.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
There's a mystery we are supposed to care about? I'm in for Chad Radwell.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Jesus I almost lost it when mama Radwell said, "the only thing you're carrying is water weight you bloated tramp." That whole family is incredible

e- :drat: that pictionary scene

buddhanc fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Nov 25, 2015

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Holy poo poo, that ending was epic. And the Radwells... I only wish Chanel would have laid the verbal smackdown on Muffy.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

not bad episode where almost everyone gets to shine. Also lol at the prospect of next week being a black friday murder special

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
When Chanel says Mother Radwell looks like last seasons ostrich skin hand bag that somehow learned to talk I lost it. I had to backup to hear it again and still I don't think I heard all the other insults from laughing so hard. Emma Roberts really was born to play Chanel.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Just caught up with the last three episodes, and this thread seems way too negative about them. All three had some really great bits, and also worked well overall. Also, it's really not the point, but I am still curious about who the remaining killer is. I'm thinking Pete, and it's obviously not Chanel, Chad Radwell, Neck Brace Hester #6, #3, Zayday, the dad, or Munch, but I think it could still be anyone else?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

isn't the remaining red devil meant to be a girl?

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

We are going to go for the store, then the district manager. Then WE ARE GOING TO THE CORPORATE OFFICE AND THEN TO THE EXECUTIVES! DXRYAHHHHHHHHH!!

Tiggum posted:

Just caught up with the last three episodes, and this thread seems way too negative about them. All three had some really great bits, and also worked well overall. Also, it's really not the point, but I am still curious about who the remaining killer is. I'm thinking Pete, and it's obviously not Chanel, Chad Radwell, Neck Brace Hester #6, #3, Zayday, the dad, or Munch, but I think it could still be anyone else?

isn't the remaining red devil meant to be a girl?

Yes. The remaining killer is supposed to be the baby girl. Get on the Candle Vlogger train or you'll all look like fools when it's revealed to be Candle Vlogger.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Happitoo posted:

Yes. The remaining killer is supposed to be the baby girl. Get on the Candle Vlogger train or you'll all look like fools when it's revealed to be Candle Vlogger.

The only problem with this is that vlogger and the person in the red devil costume have completely different body types.

My money is still on Hester

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

it's likelier to be Abigail Breslin though, which would be a shame unless she manages to full ham it out if she's revealed to be the killer.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Sorry to ruin the surprise for anyone who doesn't realize that it's Hester, but it's Hester.

Making Pete an incest tranny would be a little too out there, especially because he has been a minor character, and I think Chanel has secrets and is a murderer but is not the Red Devil Killer.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

I hope it's not Hester or Chanel #5, that'd be a really easy out and the perfect "Why, Ryan Murphy?" end. I'm hoping for something epic and whacky as gently caress, like Chanel, or Candlevlogger, or hell, Chad.

Also, awhile back, Murphy claimed only 4 characters were moving on to the next season, if picked up. I'm thinking Chanel Oberlin, Chad Radwell, Grace, and Zayday.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
If it weren't for Chad thinking Gay Boone was a ghost I would think he was the killer (especially considering the thanksgiving toast...) but I think that takes him out of the running.

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

We are going to go for the store, then the district manager. Then WE ARE GOING TO THE CORPORATE OFFICE AND THEN TO THE EXECUTIVES! DXRYAHHHHHHHHH!!

it's likelier to be Abigail Breslin though, which would be a shame unless she manages to full ham it out if she's revealed to be the killer.

the truth posted:

Sorry to ruin the surprise for anyone who doesn't realize that it's Hester, but it's Hester.

Making Pete an incest tranny would be a little too out there, especially because he has been a minor character, and I think Chanel has secrets and is a murderer but is not the Red Devil Killer.

Look at all these wrong guesses. It's clearly Candle Vlogger.

Let me break it down (in no particular order because I can't remember what order they all happen in):

Candle Vlogger is introduced by the Dean as being a sophomore putting her at the same age (assumed) as Grace's idiot boyfriend who they thought was the devil.

When Boone faked his death he was surrounded by... CANDLES!

When Hester & Chad go to the haunted house to get it on and find all the dead bodies it's filled with... CANDLES! When they enter Chad goes "Why are all these candles lit? the haunted house isn't for 2 hours. That seems really wasteful"

When the Red Devil (Boone) tries to have dinner with Zayday there's... CANDLES! on the table. When everyone arrives to rescue Zayday the CANDLES! are gone. In the same episode Candle Vlogger freaks out about Chanel using candles once and throwing them away, and collects them all.

Chanel #5 and the twins go to the pumpkin patch to light... CANDLES! Dodger gets killed

Candle Vlogger has the whole speech about ants having a queen that gets plowed all the time and a bunch of non-sexual female helper ants a la the Red Devil & Gigi (Gigi doing it with Grace's Dad etc.)

When the power gets cut at the Kappa house they use... CANDLES! to light up the place. The no armed guy dies a couple other people die too (Roger?) I can't remember

When Candle Vlogger is "murdered" she's surrounded by... CANDLES!

At the Thanksgiving dinner Zayday lights the... CANDLES! on the table and then they bring out the plate with Gigi's head

Zayday wanted to light the... CANDLES! with matches from Candle Vlogger's room, but there were none! WHY? Because Candle Vlogger is alive and needs matches to light her CANDLES!!

Also the show went a really long way to throw in the throw away line about not being able to find matches just so they could bring up Candle Vlogger again. It was covered up by a "Chanel #3 takes massive dumps" joke.

What I'm saying is - Mo' Candles, Mo' Murder! When candles abound - murder go down! Candle Vlogger!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Happitoo posted:

Look at all these wrong guesses. It's clearly Candle Vlogger.

Let me break it down (in no particular order because I can't remember what order they all happen in):

Candle Vlogger is introduced by the Dean as being a sophomore putting her at the same age (assumed) as Grace's idiot boyfriend who they thought was the devil.

When Boone faked his death he was surrounded by... CANDLES!

When Hester & Chad go to the haunted house to get it on and find all the dead bodies it's filled with... CANDLES! When they enter Chad goes "Why are all these candles lit? the haunted house isn't for 2 hours. That seems really wasteful"

When the Red Devil (Boone) tries to have dinner with Zayday there's... CANDLES! on the table. When everyone arrives to rescue Zayday the CANDLES! are gone. In the same episode Candle Vlogger freaks out about Chanel using candles once and throwing them away, and collects them all.

Chanel #5 and the twins go to the pumpkin patch to light... CANDLES! Dodger gets killed

Candle Vlogger has the whole speech about ants having a queen that gets plowed all the time and a bunch of non-sexual female helper ants a la the Red Devil & Gigi (Gigi doing it with Grace's Dad etc.)

When the power gets cut at the Kappa house they use... CANDLES! to light up the place. The no armed guy dies a couple other people die too (Roger?) I can't remember

When Candle Vlogger is "murdered" she's surrounded by... CANDLES!

At the Thanksgiving dinner Zayday lights the... CANDLES! on the table and then they bring out the plate with Gigi's head

Zayday wanted to light the... CANDLES! with matches from Candle Vlogger's room, but there were none! WHY? Because Candle Vlogger is alive and needs matches to light her CANDLES!!

Also the show went a really long way to throw in the throw away line about not being able to find matches just so they could bring up Candle Vlogger again. It was covered up by a "Chanel #3 takes massive dumps" joke.

What I'm saying is - Mo' Candles, Mo' Murder! When candles abound - murder go down! Candle Vlogger!

It might be time to lay off the meth, Mr. Murphy :v:

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Happitoo posted:

That is interesting, but there are a couple problems off the top of my head:
- Dead Boone called sister and asked if she "had talked to Zayday recently" AFTER Candle Vlogger was dead.
- Gigi said to the remaining Red Devil in the Thanksgiving episode that they had to keep the meal short so the Red Devil still had an alibi. Dead people don't need alibis.

On the other hand, Hester said the exact same thing about the electric knife that Gigi did (right before she was killed). She also has a dead mother and looked really upset by #5 wanting to leave a few weeks ago (soon after the truck driver honking at the killer - presumably Boone - story came to life). Hester's overall behavior and backstory make her the most likely to me.

It could be tranny half-sibling incest Pete, but I think it is definitely one of the new pledges because Gigi was the one who came up with the plan to let all new pledges into the house. I doubt that was just so the boring girl could get in, but I guess it's possible. The spray tanner incident and first appearance of Red Devil Killer make Chanel look suspicious, but she was accounted for in the flashback with boring girl touring the house when Chanel 3 and 5 ran into her. That's one outlier that doesn't make sense. Maybe Boone did that one?

Edit: Hmmm, Hester doesn't have a dead mom. My bad. Her dad died when she was six and her mom made her kiss the body.

the truth fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Nov 30, 2015

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

I just rewatched the first episode and there is a pretty huge inconsistency.

Boring girl (her name is Grace! I keep forgetting that) is accused by her dad of talking to Red Devil. That scene happened in the pilot when Grace was about to go to Kappa for the first time - she sees Red Devil off to one side looking at her. She walks after him, but he disappears. However, her dad says he saw her talk to the Red Devil at that point. Pete says that can be explained because it was actually him in the costume, but he doesn't meet Grace in the pilot for another few scenes.

Plot hole? Ryan Murphy screwing this one up? I don't know.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Since the explanation was that they were putting up fliers about the red devil and we never saw that scene, maybe the whole thing with Grace's dad all happened off-screen.

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

precision posted:

It might be time to lay off the meth, Mr. Murphy :v:

You joke now, but when my candle based murder solution comes true who will be the fool then!?!

apathetic JAP
Dec 28, 2011

it tastes like pink.
I get the candle hints and it's a really well put together theory except - how the gently caress does she fit into the costume? It ruins the whole thing for me.

Eight Dollars
Nov 14, 2012

Pretty pictures in small frames

I love this so much.

the truth posted:

- Dead Boone called sister and asked if she "had talked to Zayday recently" AFTER Candle Vlogger was dead.

This is the one thing that ruins my perfect theory - which is that Deaf Taylor Swift faked her death in the beginning (just like Boone her body wasn't in the haunted house) and was faking being deaf.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

criscodisco posted:

Since the explanation was that they were putting up fliers about the red devil and we never saw that scene, maybe the whole thing with Grace's dad all happened off-screen.

Yeah, just rewatched that part of the thanksgiving episode and it's not the same thing. Similar jacket, but the location is different.

Eight Dollars posted:

This is the one thing that ruins my perfect theory - which is that Deaf Taylor Swift faked her death in the beginning (just like Boone her body wasn't in the haunted house) and was faking being deaf.

If you ever ask yourself, "What is Taylor Swift doing right now," then the answer probably isn't being a serial killer. I think her body was missing because it was actually taken by the police/coroner. The bodies in that house had been missing.

the truth fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Nov 30, 2015

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Eight Dollars posted:

The only weakness I see in this theory isn't actually a plot point but... That they were sad they had to kill her off so early because the show runners really enjoyed working with the actress who played Deaf Taylor Swift.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

aBagorn posted:

My money is still on Hester

Wasn't she with the Radwells (or at least on her way there) while the red devil was still with Gigi?

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I like the candle vlogger theory and it's unfortunate that I'm just seeing this thread now because I had some dumbass theories earlier that ended up being totally off-base. My favorite one's already toast
- In a homage to the Scream series, the murderers are the boyfriend (Pete as Billy Loomis in Scream), the boyfriend's mom (Gigi as Billy Loomis' mom in Scream 2), the protagonist's long-lost half-brother (Earl Grey as the director in Scream 3), and Emma Roberts (as Emma Roberts in Scre4m)

but Pete as the last red devil going all reverse Sleepaway Camp and a Chanel No. 4 reappearance (probably with some poo poo like Hester being Chanel No. 4 and none of the other Chanels remembering her or something) are still on the table.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Happitoo posted:

Candlegate
The only issue I see with this is that there would be no reason to fake getting killed by the Red Devil. She is alone in her room and asks for the Red Devil to remove his/her mask so she can confirm her suspicion. Then she gets a knife (icepick? I can't remember) punched through her skull. There would be no need for those theatrics if she was the other Red Devil. They could have just implied she was killed and placed her "corpse" on the table with the candles. When Boone was "killed," all we saw was the aftermath.

It's a good theory, and the candles lend credence, but it's not her. I think we've seen everyone else actually get murdered, so the killer has to be one of the remaining main cast (unless they do something stupid and make it a throwaway character we haven't seen since episode 1 or something.)

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

berzerkmonkey posted:

The only issue I see with this is that there would be no reason to fake getting killed by the Red Devil. She is alone in her room and asks for the Red Devil to remove his/her mask so she can confirm her suspicion. Then she gets a knife (icepick? I can't remember) punched through her skull. There would be no need for those theatrics if she was the other Red Devil. They could have just implied she was killed and placed her "corpse" on the table with the candles. When Boone was "killed," all we saw was the aftermath.

That was Predatory Lez that asked for the killer to take off the mask (also during the blackout episode... so CANDLES!!).

And I just assume Vlogger got a knife in the skull because she was recording a vlog at the time, meaning there's "proof" she's dead.

Oh, also Vlogger is the only person not present when they discover Predatory Lez's body. She shows up afterwards. Pretty sure she's also missing from the dance party (although I'd have to go back and double check).

Hatman101
Sep 28, 2006
My Cubans!
I'm really sorry for this:

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

Hatman101 posted:

I'm really sorry for this:

That's amazing!

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Chanel #4 died from meningitis.

Having the killer be someone we never met would be really dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Happitoo posted:

That was Predatory Lez that asked for the killer to take off the mask (also during the blackout episode... so CANDLES!!).

And I just assume Vlogger got a knife in the skull because she was recording a vlog at the time, meaning there's "proof" she's dead.

Oh, also Vlogger is the only person not present when they discover Predatory Lez's body. She shows up afterwards. Pretty sure she's also missing from the dance party (although I'd have to go back and double check).

All valid. I'll allow it.

• Locked thread