Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

END ME SCOOB posted:

It's cool, we got Lightning Returns, which really is the crazy over the top action game FF spinoff. It fits a lot better than you realize.

Er, I liked Lightning Returns and all, but calling it an action game in anything close to the same mould of a Platinum Game and all seems a bit much. Kingdom Hearts 1 is action-y-er than LR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Lightning Returns is basically Valkyrie Profile, except instead of a party, you switch between 4 forms at a time. Also you can parry.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

The Dark Id posted:

The end game optional poo poo is another awful story that will make me regret starting this LP or deciding reviving it was a good idea. But we'll cross that bridge when we get there... :smith:

This is the game that broke me of trying to 100% games. I'm not even kidding. I was in the middle of some tedious horrible bullshit to get the ultimate whatever, and something snapped in my head and I realized I didn't even need to. I could just go and fight the final boss right then, no problem, and just be done with the game and do something different with my life that was actually fun. Then I did exactly that, and it was wonderful. My patience for tedious optional bullshit in games has hovered close to zero since then.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
So wait, is that novel canon, or was it rejected by SE?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Mraagvpeine posted:

So wait, is that novel canon, or was it rejected by SE?

The audio follow-up was included with the HD edition in japan I believe. The short of it is the new Spiran council send people to look for Yuna since Sin has come back, they find Tidus who... I think is literally just a pile of memories at this point, except he's also nursing an injury that conveniently would put him back at starting level for FFX-3. Anyway, it's a whole load of nothing that ends with Yuna saying she's going to go kill Sin again.

That's right. The proposed plot of FFX-3 is literally 'Lets go kill Sin again'

You can read the summary of the book here http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_X-2.5_~Eien_no_Daish%C5%8D~

And the Audio Drama here http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_X_-Will-

It's all so loving dumb. Just dumb. And it pisses me off because Honestly FFX is pretty bloody strong with its themes, events and plot, minus this painful stretch we just got through. The literal thought process was, "Hey you know how we ended FFX-2 by actually completing most of the characters arcs and stories and pretty much closing the book on all the drama? Right, lets reverse all that and skull gently caress everyone." followed by "We need to bring Sin back, because it's like Sephiroth for FF7, Sin's important to FFX"

Which I could launch into a rant over but choose not to.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Dec 1, 2015

Dreadful_Dinosaur
Feb 29, 2012

Please just close your eyes as I ruin your childhood.

Onmi posted:

The audio follow-up was included with the HD edition in japan I believe. The short of it is the new Spiran council send people to look for Yuna since Sin has come back, they find Tidus who... I think is literally just a pile of memories at this point, except he's also nursing an injury that conveniently would put him back at starting level for FFX-3. Anyway, it's a whole load of nothing that ends with Yuna saying she's going to go kill Sin again.

That's right. The proposed plot of FFX-3 is literally 'Lets go kill Sin again'

You can read the summary of the book here http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_X-2.5_~Eien_no_Daish%C5%8D~

And the Audio Drama here http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_X_-Will-

It's all so loving dumb. Just dumb. And it pisses me off because Honestly FFX is pretty bloody strong with its themes, events and plot, minus this painful stretch we just got through. The literal thought process was, "Hey you know how we ended FFX-2 by actually completing most of the characters arcs and stories and pretty much closing the book on all the drama? Right, lets reverse all that and skull gently caress everyone." followed by "We need to bring Sin back, because it's like Sephiroth for FF7, Sin's important to FFX"

Which I could launch into a rant over but choose not to.

Honestly, I would have been fine with just FFX. The game had enough closure that I was quite surprised to find out they made a sequel to it (FFX-2 isn't a bad game taken in a vacuum, but it fails as a sequel cause it's basically "let's keep some of the setting, some of the characters, and disregard tone, theme, etc)."

Never makes sense why fans want to see continuations of closed-off stories...almost always lead to disappointments :(

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Dreadful_Dinosaur posted:

Never makes sense why fans want to see continuations of closed-off stories...almost always lead to disappointments :(

Nothing must ever, ever end, there always must be more to consume. Sometimes it's because the fans have been left wanting or the story was cut short for whatever reason, but most times it's just greed from both parties.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Dreadful_Dinosaur posted:

Honestly, I would have been fine with just FFX. The game had enough closure that I was quite surprised to find out they made a sequel to it (FFX-2 isn't a bad game taken in a vacuum, but it fails as a sequel cause it's basically "let's keep some of the setting, some of the characters, and disregard tone, theme, etc)."

Well I mean there was Tidus emerging from the ocean in the end-game scene but that was ambiguous and I liked that. I didn't need it followed up on. I mean. X-2 is fine in doing what it set out to do, and usually I'm completely fine with a game that takes the piss out of itself. But X-2 I feel shouldn't have.

I mean don't get me wrong. I'd still like to see the Braska game. But I don't trust it to be made proper.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Now I'm depressed :smith: I'm fairly sure all that stuff isn't canon and Square-Enix tried to sweep it under the rug, anyway. At least, I tell myself that.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Onmi posted:

Except for all those people who thinks the kiss is a metaphor for them boning.

That's not a weird observation to make at all though?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If that lovely novel didn't exist, TDI would never have made this visual summary and as such, the Earth would be just that little bit more lovely.

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=16969

I'm assuming it was a TDI creation anyway, it has all the hallmarks.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

It was.

Anyway. Fei and Elly remain the sweetest video game romance, but the fact that they also sealed the deal on Tidus and Yuna well before the conclusion helps strengthen the story considerably (and at least Yuna remains present every step of the way, unlike Elly who gets yanked off before you can even hit the overworld again on disc 2)

Plus it's stupid to tease a relationship forever like freakin' every anime does, because what actually happens with a relationship tends to make a far more interesting story, character-wise, than building up to it. :v:

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Glad to see I'm not the only one who thought the romance came out of nowhere, I thought I was just being a goon-rear end goon who doesn't understand social interactions.

They never read as more than just good friends to me, there didn't seem to be any flirting or romantic expression between them until he suddenly starts making out with her. But then again, the reason I found Zidane/Garnet so endearing in the previous game was because he actually did flirt, instead of being stoic hero man who ladies just flock to like the two games before that. Tidus isn't like that, but still...

I'd say this is the closest line to flirty in the update, but I don't know how much that's down to Id's choice of screenshot.

Either way the slow motion, zero-g, trippy, j-pop makeout cutscene is SUPER boring. Seriously, you just have to sit there for two minutes and look at the pretty lights and shipper music video stock footage.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

NikkolasKing posted:

Technically, Zidane and Garnet never hooked up until the epilogue. It was clear they liked each other but that's different.

Also, if we're talking JRPGs where they "sealed the deal quicker than expected," there is Xenogears. And I would say Fei/Elly is the best FF couple because Xenogears was originally Final Fantasy VII.
Nothing happened "quickly" in Xenogears :colbert:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Fedule posted:

I really, really loving hate Suteki Da Ne.
My opinion on the subject is as follows:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRG5w40fyfQ

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

U.T. Raptor posted:

Nothing happened "quickly" in Xenogears :colbert:

I dunno, the events of the second disc went by pretty fast :v:.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Xander77 posted:

My opinion on the subject is as follows:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRG5w40fyfQ

joke explanation:
Suteki Da Ne, the name of the song, translates to 'Isn't It Wonderful'.
Japan didn't really have steak as a common food until Western influences came into play, and so the Japanese word for steak is just a similar loanword (much like how in English we say 'sushi' instead of 'ricerolls').
Therefore an alternative translation of the phrase, out of context, is - "It's Steak, Isn't It?"

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yuna not understanding why tidus wants to have fun at night is kind cute.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Mans posted:

Yuna not understanding why tidus wants to have fun at night is kind cute.

It does make her come off as an endearing complete bumpkin. Though the very concept of the nightlife is probably foreign to Spira as a whole.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Aren't all those glowing lights pyreflies? Stop making out in the dead people pool! :gonk:

I did like that they went to the trouble of showing that they were just standing on a shallower bit of the pond for the normal cutscene. You can see them launching off it into the deep part once the proper cutscene starts.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

"Chuami – A 17-year-old girl who is a member of the Spira Council. She acts as her friend Kurgum's assistant when in reality she's the one in charge. She hates Yevoners for their role in her mother's death and claims to be Auron's long-lost daughter. She serves as the narrator."

Y'all weren't kidding about this being fanfiction level. Spoilered for stuff that's... kind of related to FFX-2, sorta.

Edit:

quote:

but Lulu says Auron would have mentioned having children since he wasn't the type of person to hide such a thing.

I guess Nojima wrote the story for FFX ten years ago and didn't look at since, huh? I'm pretty sure the only thing that Auron has been open and forthcoming about is "Yeah the Doom Whale is your dad" right?

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Dec 1, 2015

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

ApplesandOranges posted:

My memory's not 100%, but is 'Suteki da ne' the only vocal theme never to have a translation? VIII, IX, X-2 and XII were all translated, and so were all of XIII's and XIV's.

XIV's themes aren't translated, they're written in English when they're not in one of the made-up languages. In fact it turns out most of the lyrics were written by the lead translator, who even gets the lyric credit.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Good news, Dark Id. If you don't want to revisit Resident Evil, Capcom just trademarked a new Omnimusha thing.

Random_Username
Jan 1, 2013
I played this game as a kid and did not care at all about Tidus and Yuna's relationship. The incident of two characters sharing a brief respite from overwhelming nihilism by entertaining a pleasant yet unrealistic fantasy went entirely over my head. What didn't go over my head was the fact that I had apparently missed an Al Bhed primer in Bevelle and now I can't go back. Caneuicmo, vilg Pajamma!

I still don't know how I feel about the whole romance angle. Have there been a lot of scenes between them? It's definitely more justified than other games, I guess. The real test would be whether the story is stronger with them as a couple, or if it would be the same if they were just close friends.

Regardless of whether the romance fits, however, I just don't like Tidus.

Having every bit of dialogue he's in carefully laid out lets me explain away some of the problems I had with him, but ultimately I still think of him as an idiot who thinks he's way more important than everyone else. The whole "This is my story" thing drove me up a wall and just seemed hugely narcissistic, and, even when you can see that it's Auron who pushes him to think like that, it still doesn't endear me to him. He's fish out of water, but he just constantly fucks up in every conversation and never picks up on any context clues. I don't even mean the whole "Pilgrimage=Suicide mission" thing, which is at least intentionally hidden from him, I mean like how he talks about being from Zanarkand, or how he has to be told to be respectful while in a temple, or poo poo like that. Basically any time he says something so dumb that they have to break out the "sin toxin" excuse so that Tidus doesn't get them burned at the stake. Like, I get that he's there so that the audience gets filled in on the background, but couldn't you have him act like he knows what he's doing and then quietly ask Wakka or Lulu what's going on? He's loud and stupid which I just HATE in characters. (Tales of Symphonia was hell because I wanted to punch Lloyd's stupid face in almost every single scene)

Sorry for harping on this, but it's always bugged me. I think it's the voice that pushes it over the top. The high pitch and disjointed voice acting honestly make him sound like he has developmental problems sometimes. Ugh. Ok, I'm done.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

To be fair, the "it's my story" thing is entirely Auron's fault :v: he's the one who drove that phrase into Tidus' head to begin with.

Random_Username
Jan 1, 2013

Malachite_Dragon posted:

To be fair, the "it's my story" thing is entirely Auron's fault :v: he's the one who drove that phrase into Tidus' head to begin with.

Yeah? Well then I guess it isn't Tidus saying "I'm special", it's him saying "My mom says I'm special" :shrug:

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons Stream #1

Here's this thing if you want to listen to me ramble over an indie adventure game from two years ago for some reason. I'll have a proper update later tonight. Updates will probably be more frequent here on out. I'd kind of like to finish the LP by the end of the year.

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Dec 1, 2015

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
In a similar sense to designers figuring out how to explain a game mechanic without tutorials, more game writers should think about how to convey information without exposition

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

idonotlikepeas posted:

This is the game that broke me of trying to 100% games. I'm not even kidding. I was in the middle of some tedious horrible bullshit to get the ultimate whatever, and something snapped in my head and I realized I didn't even need to. I could just go and fight the final boss right then, no problem, and just be done with the game and do something different with my life that was actually fun. Then I did exactly that, and it was wonderful. My patience for tedious optional bullshit in games has hovered close to zero since then.

So, are you saying you joined the 99%?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Looper posted:

In a similar sense to designers figuring out how to explain a game mechanic without tutorials, more game writers should think about how to convey information without exposition

Then you get FF13

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Tae posted:

Then you get FF13

FF13 is completely full of exposition. It just doesn't convey information.

Also it's tutorial is 20 hours long, so yeah.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Tae posted:

Then you get FF13

pages and pages of data logs are functionally identical as a bad writing tool

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Qrr posted:

FF13 is completely full of exposition. It just doesn't convey information.

Also it's tutorial is 20 hours long, so yeah.

Yeah, the characters spew exposition constantly. It's just that almost none of it is actually useful and more than half of the time it's just repeating itself.

The data logs give the impression that a half decent story could easily have been made if only we weren't stuck with the group of dolts (also Sazh, Fang, and Vanille on a good day) we were saddled with.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Dec 1, 2015

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

As much as I liked XIII, it would have been vastly improved if Hope were less of a little poo poo. I could deal with everything else with that rare talent of "suspending disbelief", but his constant emo bitching and deliberately, consistently taking advice the wrong way just made me want to reach through the screen and slap him.

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Dec 1, 2015

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
XIII's characters all share the same basic problem; they are the epitome of design-by-focus-test. Each of them was destined from the start to be Somebody's Favourite Character, Somebody's Cosplay, half of Somebody's OTP, etc etc. They dress like this, act like this, say things like this, and all of this went through design long before anything resembling writers got anywhere near the plot. Hell, Fang is focus-tested around people who dislike JRPG stereotypes.

They're not even very deliberately suited to the plot they're in; they're just, like, some people who the plot happens to happen to.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Malachite_Dragon posted:

As much as I liked XIII, it would have been vastly improved if Hope were less of a little poo poo. I could deal with everything else with that rare talent of "suspending disbelief", but his constant emo bitching and deliberately, consistently taking advice the wrong way just made me want to reach through the screen and slap him.

Agreed. For all the poo poo Tidus gets for being whiny, he's no Hope Estheim.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Hope is of course only 14 and just had his mother die. You could counter with Tidus is only 16 or 17 and just had his civilization wiped out but he seemed to have gotten over that remarkably fast.

But yes, I would expect Hope to be whinier than Tidus and almost nothing Hope does is rational. I just don't blame him for it because it makes sense.

Still say the worst character in XIII is Lightning. I'll take Hoe's whining or Snow' declaration of heroism over her being angry at everything and a mega super bitch.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
I really wish Sazh was a more popular character in Japan. He is seriously the only decent character FF13 has, but because Japanese fans didn't like him, he apparently gets barely any screentime in the sequels (from what I hear about XIII-2, he doesn't even show up at all until near the end).

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Bufuman posted:

(from what I hear about XIII-2, he doesn't even show up at all until near the end).

Sort of. He got his own DLC, which goes "where was Sazh", gives you a really fun minigame, and has him basically gambling with time and space to save Dazh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

NikkolasKing posted:

But yes, I would expect Hope to be whinier than Tidus and almost nothing Hope does is rational. I just don't blame him for it because it makes sense.
Hope gets some whining entitlement due to his situation. He doesn't get to be passive-aggressive about those whines because it prolongs dramatic tension with a climax of 'dang it finally you're actually dealing with this stuff rather than sitting there moping and wangsting about it. Way to no longer be a baby.' That's not a satisfying resolution to how long the 'conflict' is drawn out.

As Fedule said the cast is pretty much focus-tested to be popular and unfortunately Hope's the resident Shinji Ikari, a character I wish Japan would let fade into obscurity already.

• Locked thread