Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I'm a PL spy.

MeLKoR posted:

W-what? Does this mean that in the future spaceships are limited to 5k Km/h? poo poo in orbit is much faster than that even without accelerating constantly. :psyduck:

Ships seem to be limited to 1000 +- 300 m/s right now. They're working on a mechanic where actual speed caps will depend on your acceleration, but they're still staying fairly arbitrary afaik. It's really freelancer 2.0.

TTerrible posted:

That is a long time to work, friend. Why are you working so long? Stay safe.

It's more like, I need to stay up because I'm moving some poo poo around the internet. I do have nap breaks while large things copy for more than 30 minutes, but it's not the same as actual sleep.

I'm moving things to the :yayclod:, because our legacy datacenter provider has piece of poo poo support that takes 30 minutes to power cycle a single loving VM. We had great service level here when everything just worked, but then poo poo happened and taking 30 minutes for doing a simple reboot is a bit hosed (ask me how I know: the national airline webpage and thus their main source of revenue, was down for 36 goddamn minutes recently :cripes:).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

alphabettitouretti posted:

Proof that The Escapist story was lies, Sandi tolerates a huge hairy oval office on a regular basis.

:sbahj:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

MeLKoR posted:

You know Loiosh I've said it before that I like your posts because they bring some non-insane perspective from the other side but loving with our laughs this way makes you nothing but a mole. This is the sort of poo poo that Karl pulled and no one likes a rat.

^this

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Truga posted:

It's more like, I need to stay up because I'm moving some poo poo around the internet. I do have nap breaks while large things copy for more than 30 minutes, but it's not the same as actual sleep.

I'm moving things to the :yayclod:, because our legacy datacenter provider has piece of poo poo support that takes 30 minutes to power cycle a single loving VM. We had great service level here when everything just worked, but then poo poo happened and taking 30 minutes for doing a simple reboot is a bit hosed (ask me how I know: the national airline webpage and thus their main source of revenue, was down for 36 goddamn minutes recently :cripes:).

drat, I feel bad for typing my previous to ya then - no choice but the internet then for your lack of sleep. :( Take it easy, will ya?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Is this loving game finally out? I'm going to be really mad if it's not!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Is Croberts in jail yet? I'm going to be really mad if he's not!

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012
The madness just continues

https://forums.robertsspaceindustri...s-raised#latest

Quote:

...But we might even get so far ahead of 100 million dollars that Mr. Roberts may do something spectacular as a celebration.

If you have read this far into the thread, please contemplate getting a 5 dollar skin or a 5,000 UEC credit chit, so that we can all spoil the "100 Million Dollars Backed"letter and reveal what becomes of the greatest Space Sim MMO community in the world.

See you guys in the verse.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

https://twitter.com/banditloaf/status/671868286934507520

Ben is asking you to decide his Christmas name, kindly obliged to help him.

Fatty the snowman

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Man I really like it when I wake up and there's a bunch of amazing poo poo to read. Thank you for being entertaining overnight.

Enjoy this high quality animal jpeg as a reward. It's not a cat, but it comes with LTI.

Beet Wagon fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Dec 2, 2015

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

hahaha

e:

Proof that The Escapist story was lies, Sandi tolerates a huge hairy oval office on a regular basis.

im dying

a whole buncha crows fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Dec 2, 2015

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

A Neurotic Jew posted:

The idea that it's completely normal for game devs to perpetually update the tech on a game (as Lesnick ensures us) is a scary prospect for a game that has no release date. Dx12 was released in motherfucking July 2015, way past the initially promised date for this entire game. How long until they have to port from CryEngine in order to stay on the cutting edge?

Ash1138 posted:

No Ben, projects don't continue to adapt to the latest technology as it becomes available during development. One of the biggest debacles in gaming history came about because the lead designer tried to keep up with the latest technology.

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Lesnick weighs in on the DX12 controversy

Dapper Dan posted:

He really expects people to believe that this is relatively simple and just another feature like VR support, not some retarded vanity project by CR who is burning money at this point? Holy gently caress.

Also lol at Octopode's pathetic attempts to defend this idiotic decision. You don't waste time on this poo poo when you have an entire game to build. This isn't 6 months in development we are talking here. I remember another game that stopped doing poo poo in order to upgrade to the best tech. I wonder if it ever came out or completely destroy the company. Hmmm

In case people haven't noticed, every single delay - every single one - has been attributed to their tech. So to me, whether they're serious or not, this DX12 port is just another one of those things that they're going to use as an excuse for future delays.

There are those throwing up bullshit things like "Oh, we knew about this since Summer!" (it's bullshit). This despite the fact that whatever (I checked) they were informed of, was done "in passing" and for the expressed purpose of not causing panic and/or raising questions.

Like the Mantle port they were touting, I never said anything about that because, well, it was irrelevant at the time and that was over a year or more ago. Plenty of time.

With this article in the mag now clearly i) showing the DX12 port is real and they've abandoned Mantle and not even bothering with Vulcan ii) confirming my suspicions and theory that they haven't done a real 64-Bit implementation of a large seamless world, the picture that this project is a long way off and that croberts continues to lie about the state of the project, continues to be an issue worth talking about.

And they continue to squelch any/all such discussions, rather than, you know, having the actual address them either in the forums or their dev logs. Ask yourself why that is. It's because I'm right. And the minute they go on record and saying they've done something when they haven't, they continue to dig that accountability hole even deeper.

The thing about fraud is that it encompasses everything. If you take money for something, then misrepresent the state and/or condition of it, that's fraud. And if you're accused of fraud, your only defense is to provide irrefutable evidence showing that you have not committed fraud.

After taking almost $100m in funding from the public, if croberts says they don't own a $20K coffee machine, when they do, that's legally actionable because it goes toward spending money on something that doesn't benefit the project. If the engineers claim they've implemented a piece of tech - and which is the reason that people continue to back the project - that's legally actionable. EVERYTHING about this project is legally actionable. And they know this. And if they end up not delivering on promises, that's smack in the middle of fraudulent inducement and a litany of other legal sinkholes.

They know all this.

Which is why they're either ignoring questions like this, or wording responses carefully, while doing their best to quelch any sort of discussion or dissent. Just think, two threads about two (DX12 port, 64-Bit seamless world) specific issues that appear in my social media feed, get closed within 24hrs of them showing up in their forums. Ask yourself why that is.

Note that, barely a year ago last month, croberts already threw Ben and all his employees under the bus regarding making official statements. There is a reason for this. Plausible deniability.

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Dec 2, 2015

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

What was this article that keeps being mentioned where someone from CIG talked about the 64-bit, or lack of?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=165H_5jgE5g

http://www.gamersnexus.net/gg/2019-star-citizen-multi-crew-interview-with-chris-roberts

They've spoken about it a fair bit, dx12 was the recent additional thing mention here.

AP fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Dec 2, 2015

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012

EminusSleepus posted:

Fatty the snowman

I went for BannaClaus

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

TTerrible posted:

Also, yes, this is accurate. Your early posts were really balanced but you've started to head towards Octopode/Karl territory with your twisting of definitions and burying things in a wall of words. Don't goonfuck.

If you can provide an example of me 'goonfucking' with a wall of words, please point it out and I'll try to address it. For those curious, I've been mostly quiet because I've been waiting to see the results of AC 2.0's patching. I always prefer to base my judgement on actions (or evidence) vs words said, and the only compelling argument that CIG can deliver things is them.. actually making a delivery.

I've maintained that my goal would be middle of December: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748466&pagenumber=357&perpage=40#post452718391

If they fail to get AC 2.0 out. If it's a broken mess where I cannot get my friend to copilot a ship with me, that's when I will have no faith.

They still have not delivered. 2.0.0g is on the PTU, not publicly released, and the Constellation is still unstable (If you take off straight from Pad 9 it becomes uncontrollable for some reason). Though the client and server stability are both fixed, the performance is currently unacceptable (there was a large FPS drop from patch f to g).

There has been a change, when 2.0 launched it has only 1,000 people, who could not stay in longer than 15 minutes. Now it is stable with ~ 100,000 invitees, though under 1,000 concurrent testers. For me: They need to release it publicly. The Constellation must be stable so my friend and I can travel on it together. It needs to stay stable, and it must have fixed FPS so that I can run it smoothly like it was before.

... I guess I ended up 'wall of words' to explain my point of view again, so, sorry about that. As I promised before, I'll be here to say what I think by my deadline, Dec 14th.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

EminusSleepus posted:

Fatty the snowman

Crampus.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Loiosh posted:

If you can provide an example of me 'goonfucking' with a wall of words, please point it out and I'll try to address it. For those curious, I've been mostly quiet because I've been waiting to see the results of AC 2.0's patching. I always prefer to base my judgement on actions (or evidence) vs words said, and the only compelling argument that CIG can deliver things is them.. actually making a delivery.

I've maintained that my goal would be middle of December: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748466&pagenumber=357&perpage=40#post452718391

If they fail to get AC 2.0 out. If it's a broken mess where I cannot get my friend to copilot a ship with me, that's when I will have no faith.

They still have not delivered. 2.0.0g is on the PTU, not publicly released, and the Constellation is still unstable (If you take off straight from Pad 9 it becomes uncontrollable for some reason). Though the client and server stability are both fixed, the performance is currently unacceptable (there was a large FPS drop from patch f to g).

There has been a change, when 2.0 launched it has only 1,000 people, who could not stay in longer than 15 minutes. Now it is stable with ~ 100,000 invitees, though under 1,000 concurrent testers. For me: They need to release it publicly. The Constellation must be stable so my friend and I can travel on it together. It needs to stay stable, and it must have fixed FPS so that I can run it smoothly like it was before.

... I guess I ended up 'wall of words' to explain my point of view again, so, sorry about that. As I promised before, I'll be here to say what I think by my deadline, Dec 14th.

nah, you're fine. He's just loving with you.

ps: You do realize that the game is still instanced, right? And that the claims of it being one large seamless universe are bullshit? Does that concern you, or no?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

D_Smart posted:

With this article in the mag now clearly i) showing the DX12 port is real and they've abandoned Mantle and not even bothering with Vulcan ii) confirming my suspicions and theory that they haven't done a real 64-Bit implementation of a large seamless world, the picture that this project is a long way off and that croberts continues to lie about the state of the project, continues to be an issue worth talking about.

I still don't know how the stuff in that magazine article about the coordinate system cleared the ministry of truth back in gold base. They've got printed statements from devs saying how they've bodged it.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Loiosh posted:

Looking at how things are going they might actually make it. 2.0 is shaping up pretty nicely.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

CrazyLoon posted:

drat, I feel bad for typing my previous to ya then - no choice but the internet then for your lack of sleep. :( Take it easy, will ya?

The upside is that I can just talk with coworkers about this or that project or shitpost around the web most days because I have 99% of my work here automated. :devops:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Loiosh posted:

I'm mostly loving with you, but what was calling Peter Gabriel out in the twitch chat about?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

TTerrible posted:

I still don't know how the stuff in that magazine article about the coordinate system cleared the ministry of truth back in gold base. They've got printed statements from devs saying how they've bodged it.

Simple. That's how it has been all along. There is a complete disconnect between the engineers (who are killing themselves trying to make all of croberts lofty dreams work) and "management/pr/marketing". To be fair, that has always been the case in game development in which this sort of structure exists. And that's why you don't usually find engineers ever making public statements without going through "management".

Ben is just a clumsy fool who gets shoved in the front of it all. And he continues to fall on his face each time he makes a proclamation that turns out to be either wrong, or flat out false. He's going to be their biggest fall guy. Just wait.

Lando, well, see above

Sandi is just an habitual liar who knows about as much about game development as I do about German

Chris is just an incompetent dreamer. And a liar. And he's married to Sandi.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

D_Smart posted:

He's going to be their biggest fall guy.

Well I think that goes without saying

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Iglocska posted:

Looking at how things are going they might actually make it. 2.0 is shaping up pretty nicely.

Right. But "make" what exactly?

Even with stability coming to 2.0, there is still no "game" there. Have you stopped to think about all the promised features they have yet to implement? Heck, they haven't even put in 5% of the game world!!!

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

TTerrible posted:

I'm mostly loving with you, but what was calling Peter Gabriel out in the twitch chat about?

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

D_Smart posted:

Right. But "make" what exactly?

Even with stability coming to 2.0, there is still no "game" there. Have you stopped to think about all the promised features they have yet to implement? Heck, they haven't even put in 5% of the game world!!!

From what I've seen in vids - if they can get it stable, get rid of the jittery movement it actually looks like a pretty cool demo of a lot of the features that will be coming and I will definitely spend some time playing it with buddies. They are still not there yet, but I am surprised how quickly they are fixing up the issues and that could indeed be an indication of the foundations being sound. We'll see.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

Although that piece just went live on their website it's from the October issue of JumpPoint, so could have been written early October, I don't think that makes any difference but thought I'd point it out if you're tracking when things are being said. As for large seamless world, I assume they mean no loading screens for that, instancing has been talked about for ages.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Iglocska posted:

From what I've seen in vids - if they can get it stable, get rid of the jittery movement it actually looks like a pretty cool demo of a lot of the features that will be coming and I will definitely spend some time playing it with buddies. They are still not there yet, but I am surprised how quickly they are fixing up the issues and that could indeed be an indication of the foundations being sound. We'll see.

On that I agree. They have been working hard to make it stable. Again, it all goes to what I said before: they rushed it out for Nov. Most of what they have been fixing couldn't have been a surprise.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

D_Smart posted:

nah, you're fine. He's just loving with you.

ps: You do realize that the game is still instanced, right? And that the claims of it being one large seamless universe are bullshit? Does that concern you, or no?

My understanding is that it's always been the intention. I think a lot of people who are expecting EVE are going to be upset when they realize the persistence is your economic status (ships and possessions). The economy is global, but the entire universe is sharded much like Star Trek Online. For me, that's a benefit. I stopped enjoying competitive multiplayer years ago and have never done PVP in any MMO I've been a part of - So having a game that is focused around NPC-controlled economy over player battles is a huge benefit -- Provided the missions are enjoyable. I don't mind them being small and limited exposure, though I would prefer they being able to handle 50 or so players per shard. Right now it's 15 ships during the alpha.

If their missions in the PU are just the same kind of pap most MMOs get (go here, fetch this and return it), I'll have no interest. If they are more complex, taking advantage of the gameplay systems that will supposedly come like repairing a damaged ship, then I'll be delighted.

I guess I should mention that SC has a bit of what I was hoping the original Perpetual Entertainment Star Trek MMO would have been. Multi crew large ships working together doing peaceful exploration, science and discovery missions. Too bad about Perpetual. The current version of STO is... okay. I have enjoyed parts of it, but the limited way it works and the fact that all of the ship missions are based on combat quests ended up losing my interest.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

AP posted:

Although that piece just went live on their website it's from the October issue of JumpPoint, so could have been written early October, I don't think that makes any difference but thought I'd point it out if you're tracking when things are being said. As for large seamless world, I assume they mean no loading screens for that, instancing has been talked about for ages.

Yeah that's how I read this too. Persistence and the MMO aspects for me are far more at odds with the instancing than the "seamless" aspect IMO. There is always going to be content streaming and partitioning of zones in the background, it can be called seamless when all that stuff is hidden from the player.

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012
The only thing they can do is deliver the game.

They are making progress, I am not sure if it is slow or fast progress in gaming development time speaking?
When this game is up and running how much does it cost to keep the servers running. Also what are they planning to keep as for offices and people.

They have to sell a lot off in game stuff I assume.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Beet Wagon posted:

I felt responsible for pointing people there, especially when a nice streamer is getting trolled in his chat. So, this is a combination of me feeling guilty and my personal opinion about trolling. It's not something I've enjoyed.

I guess I'll just stay quiet about it in the future. I haven't mentioned it the past times he's been there trolling, but then, I didn't feel responsible for linking it. I know that among the goons, that kind of activity is not just fine but encouraged, but it has never sat well with me. I like to be upfront and honest.

I'll just stay out of it in the future.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Loiosh posted:

I felt responsible for pointing people there, especially when a nice streamer is getting trolled in his chat. So, this is a combination of me feeling guilty and my personal opinion about trolling. It's not something I've enjoyed.

I guess I'll just stay quiet about it in the future. I haven't mentioned it the past times he's been there trolling, but then, I didn't feel responsible for linking it. I know that among the goons, that kind of activity is not just fine but encouraged, but it has never sat well with me. I like to be upfront and honest.

For someone that values being upfront and honest, i find your faith in CIG confusing. You're the only pro-SC person that has posted here that I'm going to feel genuinely sorry for when it implodes.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

AP posted:

Yeah, I missed it when it appeared in JumpPoint. But they moved it from there on Nov 30th, which is when it caught my attention. Most people probably didn't read it, let alone understand the technical nature of it.

For the record, there are several aspects at play here, and people keep mixing and/or confusing them.

1. large seamless world // false (thus far)
  2. instancing // never in question but most people are confusing their explanation of how this works; especially as it relates to #1
  3. 64-Bit double precision // suspicious; but I believe they hacked it and is not a true implementation (as per positioning and world size/connect)
  4. DX12 port // questionable effort for a project that's supposed to be out less than one year away

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Loiosh posted:

drat you will never be qualified as a politician nor SC/Cig PR

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I think citizens are watching me. I've made a joke about $100 mil on youtube and immediately a star citizen replied to me.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Loiosh posted:

stop being so sensitive

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Loiosh posted:

I can actually respect that. And tbh I can even respect telling the chat that they are being trolled by a goon (I don't know if you guys have some kind of "Thin Goon Line" or whatever, but I think it's fair to point out disruptive trolling) it just seemed a little weird that you called him out by name. Felt like tattling a bit, I guess. But that's my own personal opinion, so take it for what it's worth (zero currencies)

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Chalks posted:

Yeah that's how I read this too. Persistence and the MMO aspects for me are far more at odds with the instancing than the "seamless" aspect IMO. There is always going to be content streaming and partitioning of zones in the background, it can be called seamless when all that stuff is hidden from the player.

I will admit to being very confused what the hubbub was about RE: instancing over the last couple days. I thought it was pretty well known that was going to have to be the plan. If the transitions are seamless why does it matter?

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

D_Smart posted:

Yeah, I missed it when it appeared in JumpPoint. But they moved it from there on Nov 30th, which is when it caught my attention. Most people probably didn't read it, let alone understand the technical nature of it.

For the record, there are several aspects at play here, and people keep mixing and/or confusing them.

1. large seamless world // false (thus far)
  2. instancing // never in question but most people are confusing their explanation of how this works; especially as it relates to #1
  3. 64-Bit double precision // suspicious; but I believe they hacked it and is not a true implementation (as per positioning and world size/connect)
  4. DX12 port // questionable effort for a project that's supposed to be out less than one year away

From the list:

1. Large seamless world - I didn't expect it to be seamless, for me personally this is not an issue. I didn't have an issue with it in E:D either, what I am worried about is that it will be P2P instancing (just look at people "disconnecting" when about to lose in E:D).
  2. Instancing - same as above
  3. We don't know this, it's guesswork. Either way, if the end result "feels right" then I don't care what hacks they use to get it working, we'll see how it turns out.
  4. Read some interesting discussions on this yesterday, it might be a better thing for the gamers in the end and it sounds like it will not be a blocker in the development process (since they are so far behind on assets)

Past few days have been slightly reassuring. Also the Constellation model looks great on my desk and I am starting to suspect that it's slowly release aerosol tranquilisers which might cause the reassurance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Paladinus posted:

I think citizens are watching me. I've made a joke about $100 mil on youtube and immediately a star citizen replied to me.

Now do they same thing with butt coin and watch the other cult spring into action.

• Locked thread