Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Beet Wagon posted:

No no no, those are features, not bugs.

Working as intended.

It's like Goat Simulator, but you have to pay $1000 to pilot a special goat and it's not meant to be funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

How has no one tried to super cruise from one station to another? the PTU has been out for over a week and the offline hack seems to be really stable. We (I) need an answer to this seamless world discussion.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Justin Tyme posted:

I wish an actual programmer would weigh in on this poo poo and give a well-reasoned explanation instead of the community manager with no programming knowledge just shutting down the conversation with stuff he overheard

Most open development ever guys

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Truga posted:

Who gives a poo poo about a glorified cargo boat??

The problem is that the Constellation isn't a glorified cargo boat. It's a hilariously well armed snub-fighter carrying multi-purpose Mary Sue.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

That looks utterly awesome. I can't wait for Horizons to be out of beta to try it :)

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

D_Smart posted:

Oh, there's more. I came across an even longer list yesterday in another forum. Will see if I can dig it up and post.

He forgot to mention a few:
The upper right missile strut will fail to deploy if the ship is in the 'damaged' state (which happens any time the ship is shot)
The global collision for the connie is missing in some areas (not just the airlocks, but in the cabin as well)
The zone collision (interior of the connie) has some issues. The first one I noticed (lower airlock not working) was fixed in 2.0.0b, but there's some others in the hangar bay.

The following were reported as 2.0 to fix in 2.1 issues:
Hangar bay doors don't work
P52 does not fly
P52 / other snubs cannot dock with the Constellation

There's a few other issues with it, like the lower turret not working (I think that was fixed in 2.0.0b - I have not tested it)

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

alphabettitouretti posted:

Isn't the current version limited to something like 12 ships and 15 players? And even with that tiny handful of people it's hugely unreliable.

What's the largest ship they've sold, and how many people is it supposed to be able to support with multicrew? loving funny to think they've got to first design a giant ship and then make it work like promised.

Yeah, but it only feels fair to appraise the thing they're aiming to create rather than the current state of the game.

The multi-crew question is pretty interesting though. They say 200 player battles... but with multi crew ships how big actually are those battles?

Also what sort of soft caps are these zones going to have to avoid the hilarious situation where your 10 man ship joins a zone but there's only enough room for 3 of the crew and the rest are left floating in space in a different instance?

All sorts of fun design issues, many of which I'm sure they've not even begun to think about yet!

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Loiosh posted:

Only if a player is involved in the mission. To hunt someone you tag them in Mobiglass. (That is, you type the character name) and if you're in the same region it'll join you to their shard so you can hunt them down. That's supposedly the intention. Of course, tracking down where they are in the universe is another issue, I assume that'll be something they'll roll into a gameplay system of some sort, but I honestly have not been paying that much attention to it.

Edit: I should restate this a bit more clearly. If a pirate picks a mission, it will be run, even if it's NPCs running it.

When I say piracy I mean just shooting off into the black and finding things to murder. There is no mission to pick to force an NPC to run it. If you have to open an interface and click the "I'd like to go and pirate things in this specific sector!" button thats pretty lame.

AP posted:

They intend to sell credits and you can buy ships with credits, so.

Oh right, the "I'm not selling beer I'm selling tokens" argument.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Beet Wagon posted:

I'm confused. Are you saying that Ben is lying because the PTU 2.0 only takes place in Crusader?

Literally anything he says is meaningless once you account for the "5 minutes after it came out of his mouth Roberts decided something else and Robert's opinion is the only one that matters" factor.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

:lol:

of course wesha is a furry.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

kikkelivelho posted:

How has no one tried to super cruise from one station to another? the PTU has been out for over a week and the offline hack seems to be really stable. We (I) need an answer to this seamless world discussion.

I just looked this up on reddit, the closest object to the starting station is 54 hours at maximum cruise speed: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3ujj7p/can_anyone_calculate_how_long_it_would_take_to/

Would be really cool for someone to try that.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

kikkelivelho posted:

The distance is too high and the game crashes or disconnects after less than an hour of travel. I'll try making myself a simple map with distances and flying between two closest things in the system and see what happens, but I definitely won't have results until at least tomorrow.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The problem is that the Constellation isn't a glorified cargo boat. It's a hilariously well armed snub-fighter carrying multi-purpose Mary Sue.

quote:

The Constellation Andromeda, a multi-person freighter, is the most popular ship in RSI's current production array. Constellations are beloved by smugglers and merchants alike because they are modular, high powered... and just downright iconic-looking.

Glorified cargo boat.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Chalks posted:

Yeah, but it only feels fair to appraise the thing they're aiming to create rather than the current state of the game.

The multi-crew question is pretty interesting though. They say 200 player battles... but with multi crew ships how big actually are those battles?

Also what sort of soft caps are these zones going to have to avoid the hilarious situation where your 10 man ship joins a zone but there's only enough room for 3 of the crew and the rest are left floating in space in a different instance?

All sorts of fun design issues, many of which I'm sure they've not even begun to think about yet!

200 is the ideal number. Sure, some ships will can use up 6 of that in themselves, but that just helps with the balance, 200 allows a manageable army size with about 1/3 being workers (mining, repairing, etc) and the rest focusing purely on combat. Oh wait this isn't about StarCraft...

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Gwaihir posted:

Literally anything he says is meaningless once you account for the "5 minutes after it came out of his mouth Roberts decided something else and Robert's opinion is the only one that matters" factor.

I just wasn't sure if Derek didn't understand or was deliberately misinterpreting Ben's post for the sake of stirring poo poo, but as I was just writing that sentence I think I answered my own question.

It's like Goat Simulator, but you have to pay $1000 to pilot a special goat and it's not meant to be funny.

Technically I think that makes it the funniest version of Goat Simulator ever made.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Iglocska posted:

200 is the ideal number. Sure, some ships will can use up 6 of that in themselves, but that just helps with the balance, 200 allows a manageable army size with about 1/3 being workers (mining, repairing, etc) and the rest focusing purely on combat. Oh wait this isn't about StarCraft...

It's only 100 per side of the battle too. I don't know how many crew you get in the larger ships but that's not a whole lot of ships before the instance caps out. Having a battle across multiple instances would be weird.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Loiosh posted:

I just looked this up on reddit, the closest object to the starting station is 54 hours at maximum cruise speed: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3ujj7p/can_anyone_calculate_how_long_it_would_take_to/

Would be really cool for someone to try that.

If I can get the offline workaround working this weekend I'd be willing to. Are there any two objects closer together than those two?

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

That looks extremely badass. I might have to buy Horizons after all.

Notice the thrusters firing as you'd logically expect them to for maneuvering the ship. I'm sure it's all faked but it looks spot on. Whereas Chris promised this feature which would actually effect the flight model of you ship. But I didn't see any evidence of it working in between crashes while watching AC2.0 streams. Pretty much encapsulates the difference between Frontier and CIG. The Elite team gets poo poo done without a lot of fanfare whereas SC promises a bunch of overblown crap that they can't deliver.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

It's about expectations. Most of the features they have promised will never - ever - work in the environment they are building and the way in which they are building it. This has been the one point that I have been trying to get across all this time.

Derek we're talked that to death, pretty much everyone here will happily accept that they'll never live up to their promises. What might still be possible is that something will emerge that allows us to bug the poo poo out of people who paid thousands for sperg chariots and is sorta, semi-playable in 2017/18 whenever.

I made a long arse post trying to get to the guts of why you think they don't have 64 bit large world in and you ignored it. I think that's an important piece of technology that would have required a lot of effort to produce, so if it's in, it would be nice to know.

At the moment it appears to me either you don't have an answer or my understanding of the technology is so poor you can't be bothered to explain. I suppose you could have a source who's told you and you don't want to expose them, but if you can't be bothered explaining further I'm not going to believe you without some evidence.

FatherChristmas
Nov 9, 2012

'Tis the season

Karl, fucketh thyself.

Octopode posted:

:words:

Toxic workplace concerns? Frankly, it doesn't influence my views much either way. Chris and Sandi don't have programmers chained to radiators toiling away while they lash them, and honestly, I just don't care that much about the people involved and what they choose to subject themselves to; they're adults producing a product I happen to be interested in, I feel no more outrage about it or emotional connection to them than I did about, say, Foxconn's working conditions, which is to say not much. For the financial fraud: so long as they manage their financials well enough to get past the finish line, I don't think the status of the rest of their money or how they spent it matters all that much. I don't base my interest in other products on what the profit margins and spending decisions made by their producers are, and I don't see a compelling case for why that should be the case here, either. If they don't make it out the door, then there should definitely be an inquiry into why it happened, and financial mismanagement should have appropriate consequences.

Oh ho ho ho you are getting nothing but coal in your loving stocking you spergy bastard.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Chalks posted:

It's only 100 per side of the battle too. I don't know how many crew you get in the larger ships but that's not a whole lot of ships before the instance caps out. Having a battle across multiple instances would be weird.

Sorry, was a joke about the 200 army size in StarCraft (with 6 supply being the largest unit)...

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

FatherChristmas posted:

Oh ho ho ho you are getting nothing but coal in your loving stocking you spergy bastard.

There is always more Octopode and it is always worse

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

kikkelivelho posted:

It would take hundreds of hours and the game hasn't been stable enough to try (though maybe offline). I will give it a shot tonight.

Ship leaving contrails on a planet with no atmosphere, my immersion is ruined. 0/10.

Broccoli Cat
Mar 8, 2013

"so, am I right in understanding that you're a bigot or aficionado of racist humor?

STAR CITIZEN is for WHITES ONLY!

:lesnick:

Iglocska posted:

Sorry, was a joke about the 200 army size in StarCraft (with 6 supply being the largest unit)...

I like the cut of your jib.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Sarsapariller posted:

Ship leaving contrails on a planet with no atmosphere, my immersion is ruined. 0/10.
It's superheated exhaust particles from fusion powered thermal thrusters (and not an organic way to track a ship's position when it's out of your LOS without resorting to a HUD full of target arrows).

Stop ruining my immersion. :colbert:

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Sarsapariller posted:

It would take hundreds of hours and the game hasn't been stable enough to try (though maybe offline).

This is one of the great mysteries of our time. Sacrifices must be made in the name of the truth.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

People are already complaining about griefing in PTU 2.0

Shocking.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Truga posted:

Glorified cargo boat.

I'd like to introduce you to the Drake Cutlass, an agile dogfighter with unparalleled maneuverability.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

peter gabriel posted:

I imagine this guy hanging from a tree in a years time

You have a responsibility to save these people. You can be the hero that they need.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm catching up on octopode being a libertarian shill last night I'll catch up shortly

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

lmao octopode

slipping further down the karl scale

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Bedshaped posted:

You have a responsibility to save these people. You can be the hero that they need.

Save them and let them breed? No thanks but if you will say that saving them includes castration then I'm good with it

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Beet Wagon posted:

Shocking.

Really? Ha ha. Oh dear, people are going to be pissy in this game if it ever comes out.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Scott Manley tried to play both EliteDangerous horizon and SC PTU 2.0 with a rule that of a game crash he will switch to the other game and vice versa..

Which game do you think in his 2 hours of gaming ended up playing around 95% of the time. Remember the rule is if it crashes he will switch to the other game

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Really? Ha ha. It is impossible at this point to ever satisfy the all people who have backed this game.

I think that's pretty much true the moment 2 people back a game :)

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Beet Wagon posted:

Shocking.

Good.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Iglocska posted:

I think that's pretty much true the moment 2 people back a game :)

Ya, changed the line upon reflection.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Careful what you say, Octopode might be friends with the head of the CIA and I heard he has the nuclear launch codes and knows how to pilot a submarine and fly a drone and

... dude, I had the nuclear launch codes. It was a pretty well known secret what they were through the 70s-90s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Warcabbit posted:

... dude, I had the nuclear launch codes. It was a pretty well known secret what they were through the 70s-90s.

12345?

• Locked thread