Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
So the only thing that will have changed is...everything?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The blue-tinged white point on iOS is rear end so the sooner the better

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

shootforit posted:

At my workplace, my department is in an underground level, thus I have no cellular signal al day while at work. I am not able to receive calls or texts at all. When I leave for the day, I will get a barrage of voicemails and texts that will finally come through after being in limbo all day.

I do however have a strong wifi signal. So I am able to imessage to my hearts content. Though only a few of the people I text with regularly have imessage capabilities.

I am trying to figure out if it is possible to route all SMS texts so they are delivered via iMessage. I've done some googling but am only coming up with ways to forward messages to other devices, such as a macbook or imac.

So is there a way to send and receive ALL texts via imessage (IE send and receive all texts through wifi)

Leave your phone upstairs somewhere safe and take a Mac downstairs with you.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I've had a problem with iTunes Match and my iPhone since early iOS 8, which is that the downloaded songs can't be managed in any way. The Music app never shows up under Storage or whatever it is and the only way to clear local Match songs is to disable and then re-enable Match on the iPhone which is less than an elegant solution and takes ages. I clearly remember being able to pick and choose which downloaded songs I want to delete or just delete them all to get some space, but can't seem to anymore. I can't do it from the Music app itself either.

I've heard some people say I should just let iOS manage it all for me which would be all well and fine but the thing still whines about lack of space and shows like 20MB remaining with no way to clear it apart from restarting Match. :saddowns:

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
If you go to settings->general->storage->manage storage, you definitely get an option to selectively delete an entire artist, album or song. Just swipe left on whatever you want to delete.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

dutchbstrd posted:

If you go to settings->general->storage->manage storage, you definitely get an option to selectively delete an entire artist, album or song. Just swipe left on whatever you want to delete.
That's what I'm saying, I definitely do not get that option. It hasn't been there since very early iOS 8. The Music app won't show up on the list of apps taking space. Even after I've downloaded a gig of music off Match by listening to the songs.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Restore yo fön

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Yeah, I think I'm pretty overdue on that anyway with "Other" taking like 2GB of space. Hopefully that'll fix it if it comes to that but I'm still pretty curious as to the cause and a possible solution to this problem.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Just a point of interest, the 2gb of "Other" is almost certainly apple music cache. I was losing so much space on my phone while using AM as it doesn't properly remove cached stuff like it's supposed to. If you use a phone explorer and look at your folder structures, I'm almost certain you'll find loads of old M4A files that you listened to months ago.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

That sounds reasonable, but I've had that for over a year now, and I'm not subscribed to Apple Music. Could have something to do with iTunes Match though.

E: Yeah backup/restore did absolutely nothing, Music still not showing up in the storage management nor did I get any free space. In fact, I've seemed to have lost an additional hundred megs in the process :suicide: In fact, the iPhone's says there's 803 Megs available and iTunes says there's 1,72GB available. Whaaaa

E2: iPhone now says 797 MB available. iTunes saying 1,48GB. I did nothing. This is what it must be like to watch someone eat their own head.

E3: Boy oh boy I'm dumb. Did a factory reset and then a restore instead of just a regular restore like before and hey, 3,2GB of space now! Tops! though I did lose all my BlueReader ebooks and Music is still not appearing in space management so back to square one. :saddowns:

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Dec 1, 2015

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

shootforit posted:

I jailbreak for very few tweaks that I don't want to be without.

9.0.2 is/was jailbroken, but I didn't want to be on that version since the the *.1 version of the OS usually fixes a lot of bugs.

Though with the news you guys have given me about the wifi calling/message assist in ios9, I might start weighing my options on whether or not receiving texts during the day is worth not having my jailbreak tweaks.

I did read that f.lux is able to be installed without jailbreaking using a dev account. So I might go that route, as f.lux is the main reason I jailbreak.

Agreed. Screen brightness is more important than making phone calls. On your phone.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Suqit posted:

Agreed. Screen brightness is more important than making phone calls. On your phone.

I think you mean colour temperature, buster.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Froist posted:

I think you mean colour temperature, buster.

You have reached the voice mailbox of a goon, sorry I'm not available to take your call, but my screen temps have to be seen to be believed.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I'd wager most people who claim the wonders of f.lux would be just as happy if they properly configured the brightness to be zero in a dark room. But then perhaps I just have good eyes?

Alternatively leave it on 100% and make it a reminder that using screens before sleeping is a bad idea, no matter what lovely colours things have been shifted to.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

when you are always hung over, lowest brightness is still too bright

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I keep my screen brightness pretty low, in general, with auto-brightness on. I'm always surprised when I see someone using full brightness in a dark place. It's eye-searing.

Non-jailbreak f.lux is awful. I deleted it after a day since it doesn't really matter much to me.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

Non-jailbreak f.lux is awful. I deleted it after a day since it doesn't really matter much to me.

The way it keeps waking up your screen.. yuck

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The way it keeps waking up your screen.. yuck

Also the flood of notifications as the sun goes down.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Pivo posted:

when you are always hung over, lowest brightness is still too bright

The second answer here will solve that problem. It reduces the brightness even more. http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/53693/how-to-dim-non-jailbroken-iphone-below-dimmest-factory-setting

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

LPG Giant posted:

The second answer here will solve that problem. It reduces the brightness even more. http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/53693/how-to-dim-non-jailbroken-iphone-below-dimmest-factory-setting

Ahhh this is great, thanks.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

LPG Giant posted:

Hah, that's brilliant, thanks. It still requires the screen to be zoomed in at least 1.2x which is a bit of a PITA but regardless, will make it much better than my laptop for nighttime stuff.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Pivo posted:

Hah, that's brilliant, thanks. It still requires the screen to be zoomed in at least 1.2x which is a bit of a PITA but regardless, will make it much better than my laptop for nighttime stuff.

Maybe I'm crazy, but it does not appear zoomed in at all for me. Zooming would change the borders right? They are exactly the same for me.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

LPG Giant posted:

Maybe I'm crazy, but it does not appear zoomed in at all for me. Zooming would change the borders right? They are exactly the same for me.

Oh snap. Double tap three fingers to zoom. That's what I was missing. I got it to zoom out! Yay.

Hah, I write software and have been working with technology for 16 years, but all these crazy gestures are becoming difficult to memorize.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I apologize if this is the wrong thread for this, but how in the hell does one sync new playlists and edited playlists from an iPhone to iTunes?

It's a bit frustrating to have old versions of my playlists forced onto my iPhone just because I had the audacity to plug it into my computer.

EDIT: Also it would be great if syncing didn't arbitrarily delete all of my album artwork as well for everything I didn't buy through iTunes.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Dec 1, 2015

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Khablam posted:

I'd wager most people who claim the wonders of f.lux would be just as happy if they properly configured the brightness to be zero in a dark room. But then perhaps I just have good eyes?

Alternatively leave it on 100% and make it a reminder that using screens before sleeping is a bad idea, no matter what lovely colours things have been shifted to.

Yeah, iOS auto brightness is the best auto brightness on any phone I've owned. I set the brightness to the lowest setting in a dark room, turned auto brightness on and haven't touched the slider since.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Is there an easy way to upload a short video or slo mo video into a gif through your phone only?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Here's a dumb question, is FaceTime free? Basically I'm looking for a Skype alternative (because Skype is poo poo) and weirdly trying to find out if using FaceTime costs to use gives conflicting answers. If I call someone's Apple ID it's the same as doing an account-to-account Skype call? I'm on an unlimited data plan/WiFi so bandwidth usage isn't an issue, but is there a chance that FaceTime suddenly starts using normal call mode and actually charge me as though I made a normal call? Just wanna be 100% clear on this before I start hitting up friends internationally.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Facetime itself is 100% free

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

noirstronaut posted:

Facetime itself is 100% free
Sweet, gotcha. Thanks!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Stare-Out posted:

Here's a dumb question, is FaceTime free? Basically I'm looking for a Skype alternative (because Skype is poo poo)

Aha preach :hfive:

I remember the first time I FaceTimed my GF when I got my iPhone and being amazed at home much better it was compared to Skype.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I'm making moves towards proprietary apps (fuckin' no Gmail push for Mail.app :argh:) and I'd love to ditch Skype forever a million times over. Bloated unreliable piece of garbage that most of the time doesn't even ring when people try to call. The tricky part is trying to convince friends to leave their comfort zone and actually use FaceTime instead of Skype.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Stare-Out posted:

I'm making moves towards proprietary apps (fuckin' no Gmail push for Mail.app :argh:) and I'd love to ditch Skype forever a million times over. Bloated unreliable piece of garbage that most of the time doesn't even ring when people try to call. The tricky part is trying to convince friends to leave their comfort zone and actually use FaceTime instead of Skype.

If they already have FaceTime logged in and set up, just start calling them with FaceTime, their phone will ring like normal. If their contact gives the option to FaceTime they've got it set up.

That or even Facebook messenger is better than Skype these days.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

e.pilot posted:

If they already have FaceTime logged in and set up, just start calling them with FaceTime, their phone will ring like normal.

It's weird, calling them isn't the problem, it's not having them use Skype to call me that's the problem. A lot of people still think (like I did earlier) that using FaceTime costs or it involves a lot of fiddling and even though neither of those things are true, it's enough to keep people using Skype, even when making a FaceTime call is exactly like making a regular call which they do every day. Basically regular phone call functionality (plus video calls) just over the internet is exactly what I want, and knowing, I mean knowing that my phone will ring when someone calls is already a huge jump up from Skype which randomly decides if it wants to accept calls. I can't speak enough of how bad it is. Like oh hey thanks for the missed call notification just now for a call I missed four days ago. How the hell is it also like 150MB?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I mean FaceTime DOES cost if you're using your cellular Data connection.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I mean FaceTime DOES cost if you're using your cellular Data connection.
That has nothing to do with the fact that I have an unlimited internet connection? How can I know whether or not it'll use that instead of, say, WiFi? Can that be disabled as an option altogether so it's forced to use an online connection?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Ehm NOT as far as I know. I usually just knock off my Wifi when I'm FaceTiming , I have unlimited data with a faster connection than my home Wifi :qq:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Hm, I'll have to give it a go a few times and see how it does things. Just basically trying to avoid happily FaceTiming away and ending up with a huge gently caress-off bill for international calls all of a sudden that FaceTime turned into regular calls instead of WiFi or 3G calls.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

e.pilot posted:

I get crazy lag with Facebook Messenger, it drives me mad. Not all the time, but often enough.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Stare-Out posted:

Hm, I'll have to give it a go a few times and see how it does things. Just basically trying to avoid happily FaceTiming away and ending up with a huge gently caress-off bill for international calls all of a sudden that FaceTime turned into regular calls instead of WiFi or 3G calls.

If you have unlimited data, then go nuts with facetime over cellular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
If I have the option I almost always call with FaceTime audio because I like being able to understand what the other person is saying.