Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The office manager's new passive-aggressive bullshit tactic is refusing give me my mail. Since they fired the person who used to collect and distribute the mail the task has fallen to him, and that's spelled the end of getting mail or packages. I have to go down to the building mailroom and dig around in the pile of "lost" mail to find my stuff and that's no small task when you work in a skyscraper.

What a ratfucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
He goes down to the mailroom to pick up mail, grabs his (and presumably anybody higher than his position's) mail, and throws the rest into a pile of lost mail?

Sounds like a great recipe to sink the company.

eefster
Feb 29, 2008

Daughter of Lilith and of Eve
Grimey Drawer

stubblyhead posted:

It kinda looks like it says Mail Chump I guess.

I saw some comments calling it "Mail Chimy", but I don't really see it, myself.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I just got an offer for a long term contract job, 3 years, with the change to change to permanent. It's about 35k more, in a field I'm familiar with. I'm really inclined to look into it. It's not like I'd start at a job more than three years anyways. The contracting company benefit package is better than what I get now, too, which equates to another couple grand in my pocket. The contracting company is Pinnacle, anyone have experience with them?

Is there any downsides to this? Any pro-tips?

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Bob Morales posted:

Fortigate died again on me. gently caress them. This is the third time we've had one die since July. But at least now they are admitting a problem!

Don't use our features such as DHCP or logging! Piece of poo poo.

How can we get these fuckers to give us our money back? This was a $2,999 device. It sounds like they have the issue 'fixed' but still...

I've got a bunch of Fortigate boxes, I've had one issue to date that was fixed really fast. They're the best thing out there in the affordable UTM market. Cisco ASA is crap/slow and expensive, sonicwall is just :laffo:, Miraki blows, Sophos is worse than Sonicwall and Junniper, the only one worth a poo poo is so expensive no one uses them.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

I just got an offer for a long term contract job, 3 years, with the change to change to permanent. It's about 35k more, in a field I'm familiar with. I'm really inclined to look into it. It's not like I'd start at a job more than three years anyways. The contracting company benefit package is better than what I get now, too, which equates to another couple grand in my pocket. The contracting company is Pinnacle, anyone have experience with them?

Is there any downsides to this? Any pro-tips?

That sounds like a no-brainer. Find out who the client is and do some glassdoor snooping, that's the only potential bite in the rear end it sounds like.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin
Mother.

Fucker.

"Unfortunately we will not be able to deliver this circuit this week. We are still waiting for Frontier to repair their conduit before we can complete our part of the construction. We are targeting to complete w/in the next few weeks. We apologize for the delay and will continue to follow up w/ Frontier and keep you informed. "

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Judge Schnoopy posted:

He goes down to the mailroom to pick up mail, grabs his (and presumably anybody higher than his position's) mail, and throws the rest into a pile of lost mail?

Sounds like a great recipe to sink the company.

I found it. Delivered last week! I didn't see any others for our company so it's probably just me, or a small number of people he doesn't like.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Dick Trauma posted:

I found it. Delivered last week! I didn't see any others for our company so it's probably just me, or a small number of people he doesn't like.

It might be fun to ask him what the deal with this is. I'm curious if he has an excuse.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Alright, too many people abusing that red exclamation point. Let's take this Outlook rule to mark high importance emails as medium importance out for a spin.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

nitrogen posted:

It might be fun to ask him what the deal with this is. I'm curious if he has an excuse.

I avoid asking him anything because he's such an unpredictably explosive rear end in a top hat.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Dick Trauma posted:

I avoid asking him anything because he's such an unpredictably explosive rear end in a top hat.

Ask whoever is left in HR about it. In writing. Hint at a hostile work environment. Nothing will happen about it. Then when the inevitable happens you have leverage for a fatter severance package.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

No one here cares about this and legal remedies for common workplace bullshit are a fantasy. Even if it somehow crossed the line, like Bill taking a swing at me I'd assume my boss and the CEO would just get a raft of witness statements to support him.

My only option as usual is to decide how much crap I'm willing to put up with before hitting the eject button. Right now I'm well within the range of what I can withstand, and I want to stick it out until they axe me so this time I can at least get unemployment.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

the littlest prince posted:

What's wrong with it? I googled mail chimp logo controversy and got an article that praises it as one of the top ten logo redesigns.

They hosed up the i-m and the m-p

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Dick Trauma posted:

The office manager's new passive-aggressive bullshit tactic is refusing give me my mail. Since they fired the person who used to collect and distribute the mail the task has fallen to him, and that's spelled the end of getting mail or packages. I have to go down to the building mailroom and dig around in the pile of "lost" mail to find my stuff and that's no small task when you work in a skyscraper.

What a ratfucker.

DT, is this a photo of your office manager?

Because it would explain a lot...

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

DigitalMocking posted:

That sounds like a no-brainer. Find out who the client is and do some glassdoor snooping, that's the only potential bite in the rear end it sounds like.

I already know. I'll do some snooping.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

No one here cares about this and legal remedies for common workplace bullshit are a fantasy. Even if it somehow crossed the line, like Bill taking a swing at me I'd assume my boss and the CEO would just get a raft of witness statements to support him.

My only option as usual is to decide how much crap I'm willing to put up with before hitting the eject button. Right now I'm well within the range of what I can withstand, and I want to stick it out until they axe me so this time I can at least get unemployment.

If you have to go down to the mail room to get your mail, why not check for mail for him and toss it helpfully bring it up to him?

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

Dick Trauma posted:

Read what you just typed. This is you giving into them out of fear. This is you assuming defeat, thereby letting these assholes win. Cut it out.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

An Angry Bug posted:

Read what you just typed. This is you giving into them out of fear. This is you assuming defeat, thereby letting these assholes win. Cut it out.

No he's pretty much right. As much as these forums tote suing the pants off your boss as option #1 for any workplace conflict, it will happen maybe 1 out of 10,000 times. And that one time will be settled out of court for way less than anybody expects.

Also, nothing has actually happened to him besides petty manchild bullshit. This happens daily to millions of office workers, and there is no defeating them beyond not letting it affect you.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Judge Schnoopy posted:

No he's pretty much right. As much as these forums tote suing the pants off your boss as option #1 for any workplace conflict, it will happen maybe 1 out of 10,000 times. And that one time will be settled out of court for way less than anybody expects.

Also, nothing has actually happened to him besides petty manchild bullshit. This happens daily to millions of office workers, and there is no defeating them beyond not letting it affect you.

Thank you. Every time someone stays 15 minutes late on salary without coming in 15 minutes late the next day everyone tells the person to lawyer up and sue. I understand the sentiment but it's not even remotely feasible or practical.

Sorry Dick, one day you'll land in a good place. That or you'll have some massive stress induced heart attack and get put into some crap hospital only to have the room dividing curtain pulled to reveal Tony in the bed next to yours.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
I should read this thread more often. It would make me feel better about taking three emails to explain to a lawyer (one in his forties) how to download and save a file, or having to explain why we don't want to use the 11-year-old SBS 2003 server that we finally decommissioned as "extra storage."

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Sorry Dick, one day you'll land in a good place. That or you'll have some massive stress induced heart attack and get put into some crap hospital only to have the room dividing curtain pulled to reveal Tony in the bed next to yours.

Maybe I could give him the "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" treatment.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

Maybe I could give him the "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" treatment.

You be the giant native dude and he can be the water fountain you throw through the window to escape.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I was thinking more of the pillow smothering treatment for him but that works too.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
As long as it's not the vaseline thermometer treatment. :gonk:

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Dick Trauma posted:

He'll just start leaving your mail in the mail room, in a speculum bucket instead of the lost pile.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Send yourself a bunch of empty small boxes to that either the lost pile becomes unreasonably huge and makes him look bad or he is forced to give you your mail.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Alright, too many people abusing that red exclamation point. Let's take this Outlook rule to mark high importance emails as medium importance out for a spin.

I love the icon Outlook's got for it:

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Not that I'm saying anything can be done about it, but

18 U.S. Code § 1702 - Obstruction of correspondence posted:

Whoever takes any letter, postal card, or package [...] which has been in any post office or authorized depository [...] before it has been delivered to the person to whom it was directed, with design to obstruct the correspondence, [...] shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than five years, or both.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Every time I see an email marked high importance, I do whatever I possibly can to delay replying to it.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Oh absolutely. One woman in particular marks her emails as high importance as a matter of course. I ignore those emails.

Eikre posted:

Not that I'm saying anything can be done about it, but
Yeah but knowing it happened and proving it happened are two different things.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

'sup importance flag removal rule buddy

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Dick Trauma posted:

Do it anyway. You'll never regret having more of a paper trail.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Oh absolutely. One woman in particular marks her emails as high importance as a matter of course. I ignore those emails.

Yeah but knowing it happened and proving it happened are two different things.

Mailroom security cameras

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Bob Morales posted:

Makes me think of when Mailchimp hosed their logo up

stubblyhead posted:

It kinda looks like it says Mail Chump I guess.

Mail... Kimp?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I read it as 'mailchump' the first time.

DT, you're a better man than I. If someone was messing with my mail I wouldn't have taken it nearly as calmly.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
If you read that as Mail Chump the problem is you.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I see Mail Chimp in both but if you really want to push the issue, the second could be Mail Chimy in the same way that the Disney logo can look like Disnep.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Gisnep, itym

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

The help desk at my job irritates me. They will gladly open 10 tickets for the same issue instead of using even 1 brain cell to think "huh this seems familiar did I already open 6 of these tickets? Well better keep opening them"

It helps their numbers I guess but it really bothers me. Obviously why caring about raw ticket numbers over actually helping people is a problem. When performance reviews (and bonus/raises/etc) depend on numbers, give them numbers I guess.

Another funny thing is nobody here gives a gently caress about ticket times, they only care if a ticket escalates. They only escalate if you don't respond in a certain amount of time. In theory there's an sla for closing times, but for whatever reason nobody cares about it at all.