Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Arizona gave me a license that doesn't expire until I turn 65. I was 27 when I got it issued. And all I had to do was show up with my IL driver's license to get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Malachite_Dragon posted:

If Trump wins, I am seriously, no joke, completely seriously thinking about moving to Canada. I'd rather live in a syrupy frozen wasteland than in Trumps Retarded States of America.

In 2004, when Bush got re-elected, my now ex-wife and I strongly looked into moving to Canada. We were going to go to Victoria BC. She had visited and fell in love with the city in her youth, and I was just finishing up a film degree (shut up, I know I'm an idiot already) so it seemed idyllic. Turns out to emigrate there, you have to prove that you have skills that will get you a job or make you a valuable member to society, and in order to get on their health program (which isn't that great to begin with) you have to live there for a year first. I'm disabled with a very chronic condition (kidney failure due to a genetic fluke) so going a full year with zero health care would be a death sentence for me unfortunately.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Choco1980 posted:

In 2004, when Bush got re-elected, my now ex-wife and I strongly looked into moving to Canada. We were going to go to Victoria BC. She had visited and fell in love with the city in her youth, and I was just finishing up a film degree (shut up, I know I'm an idiot already) so it seemed idyllic. Turns out to emigrate there, you have to prove that you have skills that will get you a job or make you a valuable member to society, and in order to get on their health program (which isn't that great to begin with) you have to live there for a year first. I'm disabled with a very chronic condition (kidney failure due to a genetic fluke) so going a full year with zero health care would be a death sentence for me unfortunately.

Bush looks like FDR compared to the current crop of GOP scoundrels

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

xergm posted:

My mechanic cousin jokingly posts these on Facebook all the time, I never thought someone would be stupid enough to take it seriously.

I've done this with my lovely truck tires, there is about 2" of solid rubber on the high part. I've used aluminum lags and it was plenty of traction to up an icy hill. The bolt heads sanded themselves off within minutes of driving down the cleared asphalt road.

Actual schadenfreude

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9U9DQnm05M

Let's high five a jumping motorcycle, what could possibly go wrong?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Choco1980 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOwRoAmw-JU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Choco1980 posted:

I always thought about moving to Canada as well, but I'm in finance here in the states and it would be a total pain to relearn an entirely new set of legislation and rules to start back up, basically from scratch, there. Maybe I could turn that summer of construction work I did with my uncle when I was 17 into a Canadian career.

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

Solice Kirsk posted:

Arizona gave me a license that doesn't expire until I turn 65. I was 27 when I got it issued. And all I had to do was show up with my IL driver's license to get it.

I got the same thing. I was 21 when I moved to AZ. We could go online to update address and have a new license sent to me instead of wasting time at MVD. That was aweome. After we moved to Minnesota they would look at the expiration date like WTF? That was funny. My wife had to test here in Minnesota and they made her parallel park, too. I never even had to do that when I tested in Michigan.

Edit for this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDlSL4CwcP8

I heart bacon has a new favorite as of 18:24 on Dec 2, 2015

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

When I took my driving test back in 1996 I got rear ended by another student taking her test while I was in the parking lot. She failed. And cried. My mom refused to get insurance involved even though we had a good chunk of damage because it would have been just too much for the poor girl.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

I heart bacon posted:

I got the same thing. I was 21 when I moved to AZ. We could go online to update address and have a new license sent to me instead of wasting time at MVD. That was aweome. After we moved to Minnesota they would look at the expiration date like WTF? That was funny. My wife had to test here in Minnesota and they made her parallel park, too. I never even had to do that when I tested in Michigan.

More and more states are removing the parallel parking part of the exam. I got my first driver's license in Michigan and I had to get 3/4 of the way into the spot in the mid 2000's. I stalled the car about 7 times but I got it in! Now I parallel park in my sleep.

On the other hand, when I was in France my host sister was trying to pass her test and she ended up taking it three times because the first two she mis-shifted, corrected before releasing the clutch and they failed her.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I got my license in Texas on my 16th birthday. I went to "drivers ed" for 30 minutes every morning before school for like 4 weeks. Then I drove once with the instructor. I drove all the time with my parents just because. Took the written test, boom, license.

I have parallel parked less than 5 times in my 23 years of driving.

Speaking of which, at this point, why isn't it legal for the cops to require you to show that you were NOT texting at the time of the accident.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Because you can't prove a negative?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Probably because it would be hard to prove beyond a reasonable doubt. I mean, unless you sent a text right at the time the accident happened.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

veedubfreak posted:

Speaking of which, at this point, why isn't it legal for the cops to require you to show that you were NOT texting at the time of the accident.

Stupid presumption of innocence and the requirement for the state to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt! Stupid 5th Amendment!

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Solice Kirsk posted:

Probably because it would be hard to prove beyond a reasonable doubt. I mean, unless you sent a text right at the time the accident happened.

HP Artsandcrafts
Oct 3, 2012

Drunk 19-year-old woman stole a hard-cider truck, crashes into barn. http://www.boston.com/news/local/ma...lflow%3Atwitter

Extreme Barbie Jeep Racing, the ultimate "hold my beer" motorsport.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQP0xA-lRxU

And now another edition of More Money Than Talent!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbr_aAu4uuM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67R8L5vVbCE

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

HP Artsandcrafts posted:

Drunk 19-year-old woman stole a hard-cider truck, crashes into barn. http://www.boston.com/news/local/ma...lflow%3Atwitter

Wow gently caress you lady, Angry Orchard is delicious, get back here with that :argh:

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

its really funny when dumbshit americans are presented with the reality that a lot of other countries don't particularly want them moving there

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I know, I'll move to Vancouver! Maybe the existing Canadians can go to a reservation or something

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Because you can't prove a negative?

Sure you can. Any time you prove anything you prove "the negative" of everything that's mutually exclusive with it.

The whole idea of "a negative" has no basis in any kind of logic anyway. There's no set of "negatives."

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Desuwa posted:

Sure you can. Any time you prove anything you prove "the negative" of everything that's mutually exclusive with it.

The whole idea of "a negative" has no basis in any kind of logic anyway. There's no set of "negatives."
How would you go about proving that unicorns don't exist?

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Apparently the Fallout 4 crack contained a bitcoin stealer.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Desuwa posted:

Our police state is hosed up enough without taking the burden of proof away from the accuser. If you allowed police to say "YOU HAVE ALL DONE WRONG AND WILL BE PUNISHED FOR IT UNTIL YOU PROVE OTHERWISE" would basically make it so everyone in America was black

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Phanatic posted:

Stupid presumption of innocence and the requirement for the state to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt! Stupid 5th Amendment!

Unless there's an injury or some other aggravating factor, texting while driving is a non-criminal civil infraction in most states. That means criminal rules like beyond a reasonable doubt doesn't apply, the standard is preponderance of the evidence - whether it's more likely than not that you committed the infraction.

Of course, the burden is still on the state to prove that it is more likely than not that you were texting. This isn't a hard standard though, given that phones keep time stamps of texts.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Strudel Man posted:

How would you go about proving that unicorns don't exist?

How do you prove that I exist? Likewise I cannot prove that you exist. I could be a brain in a jar being fed sensory information.

There are a lot of things, most "things" in fact, that you cannot prove beyond all possible alternative explanations. "Negatives" aren't special and don't exist as a set of things.

Even ignoring those kinds of things, it's possible to prove that physical unicorns don't exist in this universe. It's just not practical, as it would involve somehow confirming that no unicorn is present anywhere in the universe at once, but that's not "impossible", just impractical. It's very easy to change it (unicorns only exist sometimes, unicorns are not observable, etc) so that it's impossible to disprove but it's just as easy to make things that are impossible to prove.

As a simple proof, let's assume I can't prove "negatives."

So for every X I cannot prove "not X." Therefore I also can't prove "not not X" either, and since "not not X" is just "X" I can't prove anything, at all.

Desuwa has a new favorite as of 20:35 on Dec 2, 2015

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
This is a really good tangent

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Not My Leg posted:

Unless there's an injury or some other aggravating factor, texting while driving is a non-criminal civil infraction in most states. That means criminal rules like beyond a reasonable doubt doesn't apply, the standard is preponderance of the evidence - whether it's more likely than not that you committed the infraction.

Of course, the burden is still on the state to prove that it is more likely than not that you were texting. This isn't a hard standard though, given that phones keep time stamps of texts.

Then subpoena the carrier? I don't get why it's ok for police to dig through a phone they have no right to.

wayfinder posted:

The whole thread is pretty great. It goes from that to people arguing over which OS is more secure to Linux preaching to literal paper btc wallets. Meanwhile the OP just wants to know how it was done.

https://m.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/3v1qv5/488_btc_was_stolen_from_me_but_how/

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

jesus loving christ

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

HP Artsandcrafts posted:

Extreme Barbie Jeep Racing, the ultimate "hold my beer" motorsport.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQP0xA-lRxU

And now another edition of More Money Than Talent!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbr_aAu4uuM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67R8L5vVbCE

An intoxicated 19-year-old woman stole an Angry Orchard truck in Portland and crashed it into a barn on Rt. 160 in Limerick, according the York County Sheriff's Office.

From a friends facebook:

A lady did want her some cider
But the store just would not supply her
So she took the whole truck
And got herself stuck
When she drove through a barn's broadsider.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008

Desuwa posted:

How do you prove that I exist? Likewise I cannot prove that you exist. I could be a brain in a jar being fed sensory information.

There are a lot of things, most "things" in fact, that you cannot prove beyond all possible alternative explanations. "Negatives" aren't special and don't exist as a set of things.

Even ignoring those kinds of things, it's possible to prove that physical unicorns don't exist in this universe. It's just not practical, as it would involve somehow confirming that no unicorn is present anywhere in the universe at once, but that's not "impossible", just impractical. It's very easy to change it (unicorns only exist sometimes, unicorns are not observable, etc) so that it's impossible to disprove but it's just as easy to make things that are impossible to prove.

So for every X I cannot prove "not X." Therefore I also can't prove "not not X" either, and since "not not X" is just "X" I can't prove anything, at all.

This is how sovereign citizen poo poo starts.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Desuwa posted:

Whoa...heavy dude.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Gorilla Salad posted:

US Republicans have spent the last few decades not-quite-openly cultivating poverty stricken hate filled racists as their voter base.

Trump is the wet dream of poverty stricken hate filled racists and is gleefully courting their vote by being openly hate filled and racist.

The Republicans are now embarrassed that their "legitimate" politicians will be tarnished and get their arses handed to them in the next election because while people will tolerate dog whistle racism, open racism is enough to get everyone out and voting against them.

To add onto this, Republicans have been struggling recently with their poor image to anyone who's not a hate-filled white racist and desperately trying to court minorities and women (which is hard to do while openly campaigning to restrict their rights). If Trump wins the nomination, all the people who might vote for the Republican party but aren't a bizarre caricature of a crazed bigot will go away or even vote for a Democrat just to keep the nutter out.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Desuwa posted:

How do you prove that I exist?
I find you and point at you.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Desuwa posted:

Smoke weed every day

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Desuwa posted:

It's like Plato's cave except I'm on fire and screaming.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Strudel Man posted:

I find you and point at you.
The schadenfreude is on you for engaging idealist argument.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

wayfinder posted:

Once again bitcoin proves its superiority to all real forms of currency. :v:

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

I remember Philosophy 301 too

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

ElGroucho posted:

I remember Philosophy 301 too

It's not even 101.

Schadenfreude is me trying to clear up a common myth in the schadenfreude thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

The Golden Man posted:

its really funny when dumbshit americans are presented with the reality that a lot of other countries don't particularly want them moving there

Other countries don't want us to move there but we are not allowed to not want other people to move to our country really makes u thing