Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I wish there was a sequel where the plot point was that there were no good guys.

Mind blown :aaaaa:

The newer world order is taking over!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Samurai jack is coming back. It'll be released before star citizen!!!

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

SirTagz posted:

You are all a bunch of hypocrites.

You have no problem with owning cheap poo poo produced in 3rd world countries, produced by child labor. No problem stuffing your face with 5000+ calories per day when much of the world starves. If you have any illusion about how many people are worse off than you, please take a tour here: http://www.globalrichlist.com/

Life is good right. I am not hating on anyone for being fortunate enough to be born into a country with a stable internet connection or making good on the stock-market. But get the gently caress off your moral high-ground. So Octopode doesn't care about the working conditions of some poo poo company you are following too closely on twitter. You all act like that is a mortal sin only because ignoring it would force you to admit that you are just a piece of non-caring poo poo yourself as well. You are afraid it would stain your sense of self worth and the image of your own 'goodness'. After all this wasn't in some distant country you can imagine away while shopping. This wasn't some stranger starving under the bridge out of sight. This was right in front of you! In your news feed! You must do something!!! I know! Lets post angrily on internet.

Honesty:

Most of us here have been flipped off by CIG in one way or another. Of-course Octopode saying that he doesn't give a poo poo and just wants to see a game released kind of tickles the outrage-bone. But at least he is honest about his true egotistical nature which is common to us all.

Hey, I'm not a hypocrite.

All of my clothes are made by my cousins in India who I pay higher wages than they typically get to make my poo poo. The shirt I'm wearing? Hand-woven by the delicate fingers of a poverished 13 year old salaryman, poverished because he's making bank. It's the corporations that choose to pay so little money to third world countries, so I vote with my money. That's why I don't buy smartphones from dumb companies like Apple or Samsung. In fact, my smartphone is actually a raspberry pi with a recycled gorilla glass touchscreen glued on top. And my carrier is Starbucks coffee shops, from which I don't buy coffee because they abuse Portuguese farmers. Instead I make my own coffee (grown from coffee beans I purchased in guatamala) and use their bathroom until they kick me out for "loitering". Doesn't matter, I'm just back the next day. I don't own any pre-made furniture, because I know it's all made in china and then sold to IKEA and then sold to walmart and Bed, Bath, and Beyond. Instead I sleep on a hammock I crotcheted myself from yarn I purchased from Etsy for 200 bucks, so I know it's legit. Also, I don't celebrate fourth of july because I know that kids in rural china and india are forced to work in factories to produce these fireworks.

You see how easy it is to avoid exploiting people?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

grimcreaper posted:

The newer world order is taking over!

"The Bad Boys from Boston are back, and we're here to restore hard rock to its rightful place!"

*Guitar riffs*

And the goal of the game is to help/harm other rock bands, while destroying pop and dubstep.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

So virtually bobbing for REAL apples. This is definitely something Star Citizen should add in one of their next stretch goals.
They definitely should for whales' sake, if the definition of "bobbing for apples" here is anything to go by.
http://messybeast.com/dragonqueen/medical-acronyms.htm

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPNCgX2FYnM&feature=youtu.be&t=7m47s

This was posted on reddit, drat, that actually looks like fun.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

The end result is this: I don't care what anyone says, the way they've done it will continue to cause problems for the entire game. The physics anomalies, the positioning anomalies, how ships react to damage (localized and remote) etc, are all tied into this because world space positioning is the core and backbone of any world system.

Tokamak posted:

In short yes.

Thank you both, it appears CIG are attempting what I thought they were, I'm in no position to judge how feasible that is apart from it sounds really complicated. It seems they've used the 32 bit GPU limitation and their zone system (which is their way of handling the physics issues and bundling the associated data together) to drop the graphics data early that they don't need to display. It's a pity that the word zone is being used in two different ways here as it's adding to the confusion I think.

Tokamak posted:

You are right that there are uses for it, but that is not how it has been sold to the citizens. The idea is that its all 64-bit and not hacked together for a handful of use cases. It can't be a ground breaking innovation if other people are doing it. For an openly transparent game, they don't like to go into a lot of detail and leave a lot of it up to the citizen's imagination.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0r6aOasFEQ

This is from back in March and goes into a lot of detail on the intention and plans behind the new zone system which impacts (physics, AI, networking, background streaming & ship/player instance caps). On the low end a zone can be as small as a room contained within a multicrew ship zone but he doesn't really touch on the high end. So I think the points made about the problems with the 32 bit Arena Commander map edges Beer mentioned are possibly still valid. He also talks about the system and universe servers above the game/instance servers.

I like to get an idea of exactly what they are attempting to do, that's different to having an opinion to if it'll all work or not. I think this leads back to the DX 12 conversation as it's a further complication to the massive task they have of modifying the way cryengine works for the zone system and if you're at all interested in what he says they are attempting, the above video is worth a watch.

Tokamak posted:

I'm sorry that you won't be able to use a telescope to view someone else's spaceship being boarded tens of kilometres away. I'm sorry that a ship in the distance will not explode with kinematics being accurately calculated for each part. I'm sorry that you are not going to be able to fire a torpedo at a space station thousands of kilometres away and have it it hit. I'm sorry that your spaceship has a top speed of under 2 km/s. I'm sorry that you are playing with aeroplanes in space, and not with hard sci-fi spaceships. The dream of the Best drat Space Sim Ever is full of glaring holes and it will ruin your immersion.

This is nice too, once you have a handle on what they are attempting you can now get an idea of what they won't be able to do.

AP fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Dec 3, 2015

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Iron Tusk posted:

Public speaker extraordinaire will be present at The Game Awards and showing off a new trailer for his human/grouper hybrid simulator.

https://twitter.com/SandiGardiner/status/672218506511912960

They were working on a trailer for 2.0, all the crashes will have delayed it.

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.

Iglocska posted:

What makes this look like fun? It's exactly the same thing people have been doing since 2.0 was released onto the PTU: travel to location, shoot ship(s), travel somewhere else. If there wasn't any voice chat there would be no way of knowing it's a 'squad' because you can't see poo poo, the other players might as well be NPCs.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

8 Ball posted:

What makes this look like fun? It's exactly the same thing people have been doing since 2.0 was released onto the PTU: travel to location, shoot ship(s), travel somewhere else. If there wasn't any voice chat there would be no way of knowing it's a 'squad' because you can't see poo poo, the other players might as well be NPCs.

Yeah, I think this is a better video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HxZ0lamZnU

It's funny that going EVA with a big gun appeals to me more than flying around in an expensive ship and it would be pretty hilarious in the end if it was effective too.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
this guy spawned into the middle of a salvia trip.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Hey Reddit, archive this:

Go Karl yourself, gently caress!

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Truga posted:

Hahahahaha holy poo poo.

Here's how it really works: Everyone that cares about what Octopode allegedly works on (russia, china, et al.) already has everything that can possibly known about <project>, and everyone else doesn't actually give a poo poo what military does with their budgets as long as they're retaining or raising their living standards, much like with iphones and foxconn employees.

I'm happy you people live in a dream world where it's possible to have a secret stay a secret more than 13 milliseconds. In the real world, that doesn't happen any more. Yeah, wider public not having access to "classified" info still happens fairly often, but lol if you think anything actually interesting a govt employee worked on hasn't been read by someone non-authorized at least once.

Quoting from the way back machine, but Truga knows guys. He's going to A school for this stuff!

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

8 Ball posted:

No, until now whenever I tuned into a twitch chat it was people trying to glitch into their ships and crashing, so it's definitely not what people have been doing. Seriously, seeing several people do something together and not immediately crash is a massive improvement.

I guess this is how low the bar is these days... :)

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Iglocska posted:

I guess this is how low the bar is these days... :)

25th November

One whole hour!

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

peter gabriel posted:

Why doesn't Chris just send a memo sometimes?

"Hey everyone, just to let you know, the Spergmaster 3000 is now the biggest ship in game, thanks"

Or he could stop being a bitch, I dunno

That would be easier to do if he hadn't already sold a bunch of jpegs to the whales on the understanding that they were the biggest baddest autism chariots a player could ride

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Jobbo_Fett posted:

25th November

One whole hour!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyub0UXViEI

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Holy poo poo, he actually did it. I admit that I thought all the talk about "we can't do anything before December because that's when the original TOS delivery date runs out" was so much bollocks and that he'd quietly let the issue die but Derek Smart actually filled the lawsuit.
This is one of those moments in history like the Moon landing or V-E day, in the future people will ask you "where were you when Derek Smart filled the lawsuit?". Can't wait to see Sandi frogmarched into court to reveal if she was actually Karl all along.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

A Neurotic Jew posted:

I literally wouldn't trust Ben Lesnick to tell me what he had for lunch.

that's easy, he had everything

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Berious posted:

that's easy, he had everything

You are all wrong. Ben never makes it past breakfast.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoRcRN14nAo&t=47s

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Loiosh posted:

I mean at Ubisoft, they have a dev purgatory they send people off to:
"It is one of the most depressing things that can happen," said a different person who has worked there. "Many people that do end up in interproject for any length of time just end up quitting. You go from working your rear end off and giving a poo poo to just basically being set aside and forgotten."

One particularly strange wrinkle is the way in which interproject employees get new jobs. In order to get on another project, according to the people who worked there, interproject staff have to apply for new openings within the company. They already work for Ubisoft Montreal, but in order to find actual work, they often need to go through applications and interviews as if they're coming in from elsewhere.
- http://kotaku.com/ubisofts-game-developer-limbo-1644500222

My dream job. If Ubi needs someone to permanently sit in purgatory, I'm there.

Iglocska posted:

The HUD is a goddamn mess. There's poo poo all over the screen. Rather than tweaking the design of a uniform 8 times why can't Croberts apply his spergy perfectionism to that so it actually becomes useful and fun rather than a huge distraction.

it dont matter fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Dec 3, 2015

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HB56HuOTdGY&t=539s

Later mission.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

I expected Peter Capaldi to be more emotional.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Also, have we found all those missing bits? Where were they? In Ben's folds?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Because we had a couple people asking yesterday and I have some time now, here's my simple float point explanation, and why 32 bits is generally not enough when map sizes go beyond sizes you can easily scale on foot.

A 32bit floating point number in a computer is composed of 3 parts:
1 bit for sign (+ or -)
8 bits for exponent
23 bits for the fraction

The exponent is the "floating point", basically. It moves the decimal point around. A number is represented as fraction*2exponent. This gives a gigantic range of numbers possible, because the exponent can be anywhere from -126 to 127. Additionally, 23 bits of fraction gives a bit less than 7 digits of precision. However, due to the exponent thing, there's no way of representing small fractions of large numbers. This brings about "unit in last place" (ULP).

Say our game map system is 1000km in each direction. If you're somewhere around the centre of the map (say, 5km away from it), ULP is still a fairly small 0.6mm. Not large enough to cause big problems, but still enough to cause janky poo poo if not worked around.

However, near the edge at 1000km, the smallest difference between two coordinates you can represent with a 32 bit float is 12cm. Which means ships only move in steps of 12cm.

Double, on the other hand, uses 53 bits for the fraction, which is slightly less than 16 digits of precision, and at 1 billion km, the ULP is 0.111mm.

Truga fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Dec 3, 2015

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

gently caress it engineering debt is the fad today!

EminusSleepus fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Dec 3, 2015

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

I wonder why they didn't opt to hand out Retaliators to any of the multi-crew ships... :)

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Iglocska posted:

I wonder why they didn't opt to hand out Retaliators to any of the multi-crew ships... :)

Because it's a poorly designed, super specialized ship that has no purpose in the babbypoo?

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

People have been talking about how to handle griefing on here, but recently I have seen it show up more and more. So I figured I would take a moment to describe how this kind of problem is solved in real-world applications with something called Data Science. This is a field of study I have decided to dedicate my career to, and I have been formally trained on it. This field is so new there doesn't exist a degree for it yet (expect it to show up next year or so). This is how Google identifies spam, how military identifies targets, how insurance companies identify fraud, how the ISS determines where on its frame a leak is occurring, how banks flag odd spending behavior, how Amazon determines if your complaint is worth looking at, how Uber determines if it's "boost hour", how Comcast determines if you are likely to Churn or not and keep you on hold longer - you name it - it's everywhere now.

So this is how it works:

We start with something called Analytics. Gathering incidents as they are reported. These incidents will have associated features such as vehicle velocity, user, type of gun, location, time/date, language/terms used in report, ship type, etc. There are many topics here like dimensionality reduction, feature extraction, feature engineering, etc. but I won't get into that.

Now at first you need a human. The human tackles each griefing incident one at a time and determines fault. This database of labeled incidents (labeled meaning fault is determined) form a "training set".

Next, you build a "classifier model". If you know some python, check out http://scikit-learn.org/stable/ and click on Classification. What you find is a myriad of different models we can use with fancy words but they all essentially do the same thing - establish a relationship between inputs and outputs. The inputs will be our features, and there will be two outputs

Out1: {Grief, not Grief}.

Out2: {Fault Player1, Fault Player2}

Now with our chosen model (chosen with methods I will not describe here but you can read on the link provided), we need to train it. Each model has a different training method but suffice it to say the model adjusts its parameters until it is good at making educated guesses about Grief and who is the griefer.

Next, we set a threshold. Perhaps 99%. This means If the model is 99% sure of how to classify some particular incident, it will label it as such. If however it is <99% sure, it will forward the case to a human who can make a determination, and add this incident to the training set to improve the model.

Got it? This is only the tip of the iceberg so if you have questions I will do my best to respond.

If you think about it long enough, you will come to the understanding that this is the only real way to truly handle griefing / insurance scams / etc. and preserve the sandbox world. This is the only method that is as creative and as adaptive as the scammers who attempt to game it.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Iglocska posted:

Because people will realize how much poo poo of a ship the Retaliator is because they made it using form over function

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

MeLKoR posted:

Holy poo poo, he actually did it. I admit that I thought all the talk about "we can't do anything before December because that's when the original TOS delivery date runs out" was so much bollocks and that he'd quietly let the issue die but Derek Smart actually filled the lawsuit.
This is one of those moments in history like the Moon landing or V-E day, in the future people will ask you "where were you when Derek Smart filled the lawsuit?". Can't wait to see Sandi frogmarched into court to reveal if she was actually Karl all along.

Link?

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

alphabettitouretti posted:

People have been talking about how to handle griefing on here, but recently I have seen it show up more and more. So I figured I would take a moment to describe how this kind of problem is solved in real-world applications with something called Data Science. This is a field of study I have decided to dedicate my career to, and I have been formally trained on it. This field is so new there doesn't exist a degree for it yet (expect it to show up next year or so). This is how Google identifies spam, how military identifies targets, how insurance companies identify fraud, how the ISS determines where on its frame a leak is occurring, how banks flag odd spending behavior, how Amazon determines if your complaint is worth looking at, how Uber determines if it's "boost hour", how Comcast determines if you are likely to Churn or not and keep you on hold longer - you name it - it's everywhere now.

So this is how it works:

We start with something called Analytics. Gathering incidents as they are reported. These incidents will have associated features such as vehicle velocity, user, type of gun, location, time/date, language/terms used in report, ship type, etc. There are many topics here like dimensionality reduction, feature extraction, feature engineering, etc. but I won't get into that.

Now at first you need a human. The human tackles each griefing incident one at a time and determines fault. This database of labeled incidents (labeled meaning fault is determined) form a "training set".

Next, you build a "classifier model". If you know some python, check out http://scikit-learn.org/stable/ and click on Classification. What you find is a myriad of different models we can use with fancy words but they all essentially do the same thing - establish a relationship between inputs and outputs. The inputs will be our features, and there will be two outputs

Out1: {Grief, not Grief}.

Out2: {Fault Player1, Fault Player2}

Now with our chosen model (chosen with methods I will not describe here but you can read on the link provided), we need to train it. Each model has a different training method but suffice it to say the model adjusts its parameters until it is good at making educated guesses about Grief and who is the griefer.

Next, we set a threshold. Perhaps 99%. This means If the model is 99% sure of how to classify some particular incident, it will label it as such. If however it is <99% sure, it will forward the case to a human who can make a determination, and add this incident to the training set to improve the model.

Got it? This is only the tip of the iceberg so if you have questions I will do my best to respond.

If you think about it long enough, you will come to the understanding that this is the only real way to truly handle griefing / insurance scams / etc. and preserve the sandbox world. This is the only method that is as creative and as adaptive as the scammers who attempt to game it.

We start with something called Anal.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

MeLKoR posted:

:gary::wtchris::yarg:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

here

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Loiosh posted:

I don't think I've said anything in his or Sandi's defense beyond that Chris is a perfectionist and a gamer, and Sandi did manage to sell a lot of JPEGs.

In fact, I've said he's not that talented of a writer/filmmaker: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748466&pagenumber=342&perpage=40#post452651864
That I'm not that interested in all the movie crap because it's not the thing I'm looking for: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748466&pagenumber=431&perpage=40#post452922419

The most complementary thing I've said is that he's thoughtful and: For all his flaws, he's a gamer and that's cool.

The sad news here is that most of the large game companies are pretty lovely to work for. I mean at Ubisoft, they have a dev purgatory they send people off to:
"It is one of the most depressing things that can happen," said a different person who has worked there. "Many people that do end up in interproject for any length of time just end up quitting. You go from working your rear end off and giving a poo poo to just basically being set aside and forgotten."

One particularly strange wrinkle is the way in which interproject employees get new jobs. In order to get on another project, according to the people who worked there, interproject staff have to apply for new openings within the company. They already work for Ubisoft Montreal, but in order to find actual work, they often need to go through applications and interviews as if they're coming in from elsewhere.
- http://kotaku.com/ubisofts-game-developer-limbo-1644500222

Not that that defends anything, just pointing out that pretty much ever major developer has tales of horror. Nintendo fired a dude because he dared to speak about the fact that some games don't get translated because they don't sell well: http://kotaku.com/nintendo-fires-employee-for-speaking-on-podcast-1723906717 Valve's bonus structure has caused devs to leave because it discourages game development. Hell, it's kinda become a joke in the industry how bad things are at every developer: http://kotaku.com/5940672/pissed-off-employees-bash-pretty-much-every-major-video-game-company

I'm not here to defend game companies, Chris or Sandi. I just share my opinion and try to cite any sources for points I bring up.

Even if you defend Chris, Sandi, heck, even Ben (!), that's perfectly OK; as long as such defense has merit. Everyone is free to have an opinion (most here aren't even reasonable, let alone sensible. I mean, you're in SA fer crissakes!) here. Sure, you'd probably get yelled or laughed at, because, well LOLs; but that's par for the course.

At the end of the day, unless you're Karl or Octopode, or any of those wankers (who declared a war they're couldn't possibly win, complete with an hilarious fatwah proclaimed by Head Wanker, The Wulge) you're fine. I think.

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

Ravane posted:

Hey, I'm not a hypocrite.

All of my clothes are made by my cousins in India who I pay higher wages than they typically get to make my poo poo. The shirt I'm wearing? Hand-woven by the delicate fingers of a poverished 13 year old salaryman, poverished because he's making bank. It's the corporations that choose to pay so little money to third world countries, so I vote with my money. That's why I don't buy smartphones from dumb companies like Apple or Samsung. In fact, my smartphone is actually a raspberry pi with a recycled gorilla glass touchscreen glued on top. And my carrier is Starbucks coffee shops, from which I don't buy coffee because they abuse Portuguese farmers. Instead I make my own coffee (grown from coffee beans I purchased in guatamala) and use their bathroom until they kick me out for "loitering". Doesn't matter, I'm just back the next day. I don't own any pre-made furniture, because I know it's all made in china and then sold to IKEA and then sold to walmart and Bed, Bath, and Beyond. Instead I sleep on a hammock I crotcheted myself from yarn I purchased from Etsy for 200 bucks, so I know it's legit. Also, I don't celebrate fourth of july because I know that kids in rural china and india are forced to work in factories to produce these fireworks.

You see how easy it is to avoid exploiting people?

Sir, you are a saint. I am happy someone in this thread Cares. Jesus be with you, brother

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Truga posted:

I'm playing around a bit now, and unfortunately the shortest distance between two stations I found is 60Mm and some change. I don't have the faith that this game will not crash while trying to go there without warp so I'm not bothering until it's a bit more stable.

What is impressive though, is that this ship is moving at 700m/s and I'm walking around it with zero issues. Unfortunately, the flight chair is bugged and I can't get back into it :v:

e: It's probably worth noting that the distance to my destination is counting down at the correct pace for my speed, so I am apparently making good progress even after >1000km. I think a system actually is one contiguous space.

That's actually interesting, as opposed to all the arguing about bits. Sucks about that chair though!

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

EminusSleepus posted:

Because people will realize how much poo poo of a ship the Retaliator is because they made it using form over function

That's exactly what I was hinting at ;)

I tried it ingame (thanks to the offline PTU) and I don't get wtf you can use it for right now. I mean it's cool that they put it in there, but until there are massive targets around it's basically a big floating target.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Loiosh posted:

According to the video on the previous page, anything not inside of a station or a ship (called the local zone/grid) is represented in 64-bit space. Ship positions, the positions of stations, NPCs, players.

Anything inside of a ship or station (I don't know how this is represented in game, maybe a rect?) has 32-bit precision for its location and the positional information is sent relative to the local grid (interior of that ship or station).

Guessing here: This happens to explain one of the issues people have been seeing where they drift into a local zone (like inside of a ship without properly entering it) and then suddenly appear to be thousands of kilometers away (as their 64-bit local is incorrectly moved from global-relative to local-relative). It also explained why earlier versions, when you saw that bug, the client would crash after a few seconds. It looks like that was this bug.

Not quite.

OK, at this point, it looks like I'm going to have to write yet another article now that there is a lot more information on what they're doing.

Needless to say, anyone who has been following my commentary on this, pretty much now realizes some of the problems I've been going on about. In fact, many pages ago when 2.0 first appeared and when I said that it looked like most of their crashed, jittering etc were related to this hack/kludge, some either didn't understand it, or thought I was just making poo poo up.

But seeing as this is CIG, eventually, they prove me right at some point. No guesswork needed.

Again, to be clear, I don't believe that their solution to this "large world problem" is elegant in any regard. And that's only because their baseline engine, CE3, has it's own limitations and you can only go so far with a custom framework, before realizing that you're writing more of the engine than the baseline itself. Which goes back to what I said back in July: they should've built a custom engine from the ground up for this type of "vision 2.0" game. Problem is, back when it was "vision 1.0", CE3, with some custom code, was just fine. Once it became "vision 2.0" and they reached the point of no return, they were hosed.

These issues they are fixing, are just the beginning of a very - very - long process; and I said few pages back, at the end of the day, the 2.0x kernel is going to be stuck with a slew of problems that need on-going fixing, tweaking etc. Just like the 1.0x kernel (which AC currently runs on) they're about to dump.

My guidance proclaimed back in July, remains as was previously stated: This game, as has been pitched, will never see the light of day. And it won't be from lack of effort on the part of engineers. It would be because of what they have on hand to work with the seemingly impossible game that croberts wants them to build. They will fail.

• Locked thread