Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

OWLS! posted:

I'd honestly still switch it to "Press ESC to Quit" since I tend to associate "close" with "close window" and "quit" with "Quit this loving app/game" but that may be just me. Especially since in the next menu, you ask "Is it ok to quit?" NO IT'S NOT OK TO QUIT, I WANTED TO CLOSE {THE MENU}!

Sorry for the UI sperg

UI sperg is totally ok. A good user interface is crucial for a good user experience.

ESC is usually used to close the active dialog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

Mirificus posted:

Deep Karled?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
This is your 11 minute warning for REVERSE THE VERSE.

I do hope Peter can get his Parp on in chat. It almost makes the hour long discussions about whatever inconsequential Wing Commander anniversary just passed worth enduring...

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Can I make a gofundme for CIG's legal defense fund to stop the attacks from Internet Warlord Dr Smart Phd?

If so, how much of that legal defense fund do I have to spend on lawyers and how much of it can I spend on coke?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

AP posted:

It's early days, we're only seen a rough outline of the courtroom so far and Derek is busy securing the book/movie rights.

Lawsuit 2.0 playable now

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
Hey nerds, lawsuits take time. Long-rear end amounts of time. Delays of a month or more are not uncommon. I'm not sure why there was an expectation that the clock would tick over to December 1st and there would be a headline news across gaming websites about a lawsuit. Assuming there is a lawsuit and it is something that goes forward, I wouldn't expect to hear anything about it for the next month or two. Anything significant coming out of it in the first half of 2016 would shock me. The American legal system is slow as gently caress.

And remember, lawsuit or not, this is really funny free entertainment. A lawsuit would just be icing on this disaster cake.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

AlmightyPants posted:

Hey nerds, games take time. Long-rear end amounts of time. Delays of a month or more are not uncommon. I'm not sure why there was an expectation that the clock would tick over to December 1st and there would be a headline news across gaming websites about a game. Assuming there is a game and it is something that goes forward, I wouldn't expect to hear anything about it for the next month or two. Anything significant coming out of it in the first half of 2016 would shock me. The American entertainment system is slow as gently caress.

And remember, game or not, this is really funny free entertainment. A game would just be icing on this disaster cake.

Made your post even more relevant. Vapor is vapor.

Simply stating what the lawsuit would be about rather than 'THE LIES ALL THE LIES!' isn't going to prejudice it, especially given the Escapist's opening volley.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

AlmightyPants posted:

This is really funny free entertainment. A lawsuit would just be icing on this disaster cake.

I think people find that a lawsuit based on a delayed game launch that is itself delayed a funny situation.

I'd call it ironic but I don't actually know what irony is.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
This is just what lawsuit preparation is like. Your average person just doesn't see it usually. It doesn't matter if we are talking about spectators or participators - people will demand timelines which are often impossible to estimate more than a few weeks out.
Derek sort of alluded to this, but I think some of it is that he still has this mentality that he is primarily dealing with an engaged, enthusiastic public with a very high level of juridical knowledge, like he would be in a more traditional lawsuit setting. He has not shifted the marketing paradigm to target a broader audience, so little things like this don't necessarily raise the red flags like they should.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

AlmightyPants posted:

Hey nerds, lawsuits take time. Long-rear end amounts of time. Delays of a month or more are not uncommon. I'm not sure why there was an expectation that the clock would tick over to December 1st and there would be a headline news across gaming websites about a lawsuit. Assuming there is a lawsuit and it is something that goes forward, I wouldn't expect to hear anything about it for the next month or two. Anything significant coming out of it in the first half of 2016 would shock me. The American legal system is slow as gently caress.

And remember, lawsuit or not, this is really funny free entertainment. A lawsuit would just be icing on this disaster cake.

I mean just compare it to the top 5 AAA lawsuits of all time. Every one of them took at least 5 years to prosecute, look at all Derek's managed to accomplish in just half a year. Keep at it Derek! Don't let the naysayers get you down. #IAmASuitCitizen

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Man I am sick of these guys...

They reflect the demographic perfectly, but I just don't think that's a good thing.

They once had far more charismatic faces on RtV, and having recently rewatched several of the older ones, I was surprised to often find myself smiling. James and Chelsea were a far cry more enjoyable to listen to than Lando, Lando, Lando and Ben. JenVar and Lisa were good additions when participating.

But now it's just the Chris and Sandi Buttkissers society.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

G0RF posted:

Man I am sick of these guys...

They reflect the demographic perfectly, but I just don't think that's a good thing.

They once had far more charismatic faces on RtV, and having recently rewatched several of the older ones, I was surprised to often find myself smiling. James and Chelsea were a far cry more enjoyable to listen to than Lando, Lando, Lando and Ben. JenVar and Lisa were good additions when participating.

But now it's just the Chris and Sandi Buttkissers society.

I can't hear you over the mic cracking

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I'm ben's mic

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Dammit Ben's talking Wing Commander in the first five minutes...

Ben, you care more about that game than ANY PERSON ON THE PLANET. Accept that it will never be as interesting for others to hear about as it is for you to talk about and move on.

Now it's a Whataburger commercial. Which is an improvement.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

G0RF posted:

Dammit Ben's talking Wing Commander in the first five minutes...

Ben, you care more about that game than ANY PERSON ON THE PLANET. Accept that it will never be as interesting for others to hear about as it is for you to talk about and move on.

Now it's a Whataburger commercial. Which is an improvement.

"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."

Winston Churchill

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."

Winston Churchill
"Why, speaking of Churchill, did you know Admiral Bishop's speech was based on a Churchill speech? It really was!

It's that kind of historical depth that is going to make sure that Star Citizen is the Best drat Space Sim Ever.

And speaking of historical depth in Star Citizen, did you know that Chris Roberts is fascinated with Roman history? Star Citizen will reflect that..."

:bang:

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
This suit is vaporwear.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

So I was looking at the jump point magazines for this year and noticed a semi-interesting thing. Specifically- the jump points are consistently tied to the concept release schedule, except lately with the PU release.They haven't mentioned it at all. Until September they were still talking about FPS like it was a separate thing. In fact, the most recent one from two weeks ago was by far the smallest they've ever done, and was mostly about their stupid megawhale clubhouse.

1- Pages: 66 - Feature: Mustang variants, Interview: QA Team
2- Pages: 75 - Feature: Social Module map, Interview: Social Module design team
3- Pages: 75 - Feature: Retaliator, Interview: UI designers
4- Pages: 56 - Feature: Vanguard, interview: IT team
5- Pages: 69 - Feature: Hull Series, interview: Economy boardgame
6- Pages: 57 - Feature: Misc Reliant, interview: Website revamp
7- Pages: 53 - Feature: P-52 Merlin, interview: Ship/Component classifications
8- Pages: 87 - Feature: FPS Armor, interview: Producers
9- Pages: 76 - Feature: FPS Weapons, interview: PU team
10- Pages: 64 - Feature: Endeavor, interview: Frankfurt Office

11- Pages: 40 - Feature: Mile High Club, Interview: UI stuff

Normally they seem pretty on the ball with tying the magazine releases to the schedule- it's almost like the PU coming out took them completely by surprise, or a bunch of stuff was cut from the most recent magazine. Hmm.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

G0RF posted:

"Why, speaking of Churchill, did you know Admiral Bishop's speech was based on a Churchill speech? It really was!

It's that kind of historical depth that is going to make sure that Star Citizen is the Best drat Space Sim Ever.

And speaking of historical depth in Star Citizen, did you know that Chris Roberts is fascinated with Roman history? Star Citizen will reflect that..."

:bang:

Winston Churchill was truly the best Roman.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Salaries are a non-zero percentage of the cost of game development

Salaries and benefits (if any) are the overwhelming majority of the cost of any software project, with office rental costs usually coming in at #2. The cost of computers, office equipment, free snacks, etc, are negligible once you compare them to developer/designer/artist/etc salaries, especially once you amortize the up-front costs over a couple of years.

This is also why an employer in the software industry cutting fringe benefits to save money or pulling poo poo like "we can't upgrade your machines because it's too expensive" is a huge warning flag to jump ship, since buying top of the line stuff for everybody is still cheaper than hiring one new moderately experienced software dev in any major city.

I say this as someone who once worked MMO support for an outsourcing company so cheap they didn't even supply machines with graphics cards that were officially supported by the game. :confused:

Rabelais D posted:

Isn't the money in crowdfunding supposed to go into the product and not into your own pocket as salary?

Uhh... Rabelais D, where do you think software comes from? This is not an industry that uses literal money-to-product conversion machines like in an RTS.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Dec 4, 2015

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Sarsapariller posted:

Winston Churchill was truly the best Roman.

Chris Roberts is following a Fabian approach to games development, run around in circles until the enemy has no more resources.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Hi I'm your friendly pal Spaced God and in the time it took for SC to reach $100M I graduated, moved 1,600 miles, and (if all goes well at 5:33PM EST) put a satellite into space. Star Citizen has done none of these things, so I think I am better than Croberts.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

But did you save PC gaming? Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

spacetoaster posted:

How did you do this? I played Eve almost 10 years ago, didn't really understand what was going on. I still get the emails from them.

illectro is Scott Manley and his videos on the youtubes are popular. He posted some about Eve with a referral code

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

G0RF posted:

did you know that Chris Roberts is fascinated with Roman history?

?

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

MeLKoR posted:

They haven't delivered the fully functioning game they sold to kickstarters or anywhere remotely near it, telling the KS backers "ah yes but what we are building now is much more than you pledged for" isn't going to fly in any court of law. If I pay you to build me a house and you promise to deliver in 2 years you don't get to keep my money indefinitely with the argument that "well you see after you paid me a bunch of other people gave me more money so I'd build a fully functioning Fallout Vault under your home and this will take several years more, you'll just have to be patient".

Well I don't know how it works in the US, but here in Europe you have to at least prove damages. Just saying:"Look at these people getting ripped off while funding something they wanna play", would not be enough. And broken promises and delays in the video game industry ? If that was a criminal offense then Peter Molyneux would have been roasted on the electric chair years ago.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
From that refund thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3ve5ji/couldnt_take_it_anymore_got_a_refund/?limit=500

Nazi sympathizer Kurt_M helpfully chimes in:

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Hav posted:

Made your post even more relevant. Vapor is vapor.

Simply stating what the lawsuit would be about rather than 'THE LIES ALL THE LIES!' isn't going to prejudice it, especially given the Escapist's opening volley.

He has multiple times. Look through the discrepancy between what's been promised and what's been delivered. Go through it item by item (if you haven't looked yet, go ahead, the gap is truly insane). Than add first hand accounts of money being spent on items completely unrelated to the game. Go through the books to get an account of where the money goes. The case is about whether this ultimately constitutes fraud (amongst other things).

A Neurotic Jew fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Dec 4, 2015

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

i submitted my refund request on nov 5. On nov. 17 and 18 I finally got some responses but not an actual we have started the refund or anything. Just are you sure you want to, blah blah. On Nov 20, Mike Meaden sent out to everyone that he had ~110 tickets left in queue so be patient. I still have not received any follow-up since the 18th. So these guys aren't even getting through 10 tickets a day.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Spaced God posted:

Hi I'm your friendly pal Spaced God and in the time it took for SC to reach $100M I graduated, moved 1,600 miles, and (if all goes well at 5:33PM EST) put a satellite into space.

Your arms must be tired. Grats on the (future) launch.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
I never thought I would encounter someone who would actually buy an AMD FX-9590 with its 220W TDP. I can't say that I'm surprised though that it would turn out to be in the hands of a Star Citizen.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3vf73e/ptu_gameplay_on_a_lower_spec_amd_fx_processor/cxn2uzl

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
that video game awards star citizen thing was hilarious

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

phosdex posted:

i submitted my refund request on nov 5. On nov. 17 and 18 I finally got some responses but not an actual we have started the refund or anything. Just are you sure you want to, blah blah. On Nov 20, Mike Meaden sent out to everyone that he had ~110 tickets left in queue so be patient. I still have not received any follow-up since the 18th. So these guys aren't even getting through 10 tickets a day.

file a chargeback, citizen

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
or at least threaten a chargeback

they will push your ticket up because they absolutely do not want chargebacks

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Holy poo poo WHAAAAAAT :supaburn:

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

This is a pro-click.

It's funny that CIG is held completely unaccountable when they deceive from within their own community, but a community backlash instantly forms once they try to deceive the mainstream.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

A Neurotic Jew posted:

He has multiple times. Look through the discrepancy between what's been promised and what's been delivered. Go through it item by item (if you haven't looked yet, go ahead, the gap is truly insane). Than add first hand accounts of money being spent on items completely unrelated to the game. Go through the books to get an account of where the money goes. The case is about whether this ultimately constitutes fraud.

Fraud against who? Assume that there *is* a lawsuit, what would it say? Is it going to be Derek Smart Vs Cloud Imperium? Where would the fraud be? Serious talk. A tort of deceit requires proof of _intention_ to defraud, which means it's fairly easy to get out of unless you have a letter stating that the person intended to defraud.

I'm not saying that this project hasn't been a bag of poo poo, or that they've mis-allocated funds and failed to project manage, but seriously, YOU CANNOT engage in a fishing expedition based off of loving suspicions. Go read up on the Federal Rules for Civil Procedure with special attention to section b and c.

None of that actually happens until, y'know, there's a suit. And y'all are gettng refunds rather than sticking around for a class action.

Hammerstein posted:

Well I don't know how it works in the US, but here in Europe you have to at least prove damages. Just saying:"Look at these people getting ripped off while funding something they wanna play", would not be enough. And broken promises and delays in the video game industry ? If that was a criminal offense then Peter Molyneux would have been roasted on the electric chair years ago.

You have to prove injury in the US as well, but there's also a huge amount of Caveat Emptor compared with the regulation-heavy EU framework. Settling is a lot more common here, to the extent where most people will simply get rid of a lawsuit by offering a token amount close to the point of initiating defense.

Westboro Baptists have the business model of rolling into a town and being shits, then prosecuting anyone that gets close to denying civil liberties.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

phosdex posted:

Send an e-mail saying that a month is more than a reasonable amount of time to wait for a response from any company, let alone a $100 million one, and that you will be filing a chargeback tomorrow. Then do so.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Hav posted:

Fraud against who?

It's a class action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Hav posted:

Fraud against who? Assume that there *is* a lawsuit, what would it say? Is it going to be Derek Smart Vs Cloud Imperium? Where would the fraud be? Serious talk. A tort of deceit requires proof of _intention_ to defraud, which means it's fairly easy to get out of unless you have a letter stating that the person intended to defraud.

I'm not saying that this project hasn't been a bag of poo poo, or that they've mis-allocated funds and failed to project manage, but seriously, YOU CANNOT engage in a fishing expedition based off of loving suspicions. Go read up on the Federal Rules for Civil Procedure with special attention to section b and c.

None of that actually happens until, y'know, there's a suit. And y'all are gettng refunds rather than sticking around for a class action.

You have to prove injury in the US as well, but there's also a huge amount of Caveat Emptor compared with the regulation-heavy EU framework. Settling is a lot more common here, to the extent where most people will simply get rid of a lawsuit by offering a token amount close to the point of initiating defense.

Westboro Baptists have the business model of rolling into a town and being shits, then prosecuting anyone that gets close to denying civil liberties.

It's hard to take anything you're saying seriously when there's so much FUD in your post. A lot of criticism against Derek is very valid, but a lot of yours is merely subjective (and I say that as someone who will see the lawsuit through because I believe in it no matter what, even if I too have concerns of my own).

And no, your knowledge of the Federal Rules for Civil Procedure doesn't make your opinion ano more or less valid, but it doesn't make any of your 'Derek has not been able to admit to himself.....couldn't handle it...blah blah' nonsense truthful in the least bit, either. When you're spewing things like, "Where would the fraud be..." (what is this, Internet Lawyer circlejerk?) it's entirely clear that you never understood the basic fundamentals of civil law, nor were you ever really in it to see the lawsuit succeed, no matter the time frame. You wanted instant gratification and didn't get it.
Nothing of value was lost here.

• Locked thread