Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
My favorite thing about i4h was when they'd do stories and stuff in the room and joke around and you'd get a real sense of everyone between scenes but I mean he has mostly the same 20 people on so it makes sense that they're all tired of talking about the story that the word disgusted makes them think of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Work Friend Keven posted:

My favorite thing about i4h was when they'd do stories and stuff in the room and joke around and you'd get a real sense of everyone between scenes but I mean he has mostly the same 20 people on so it makes sense that they're all tired of talking about the story that the word disgusted makes them think of.

Ya, agreed, I very much enjoyed that setup for scenes. They don't really do the word-suggestion, monologue thing anymore.

ManoliIsFat fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Dec 4, 2015

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I'm only a sometimes listener to Spont but didn't everyone frown on it when it first came out? I feel like that's what I was reading here (maybe it was just the logo) but every episode I listen to is firing on all cylinders.

People were saying the same about With Special Guest, I only listen to the names on it I know, is that consistently good now?

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

WSG is still super hit or miss. As it should be since the guest doesn't tell Lapkus what they're doing until they hit record and she has to make up a character on the spot.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah it's still pretty hit or miss. I haven't listened to the last couple yet but The Wishing Well one a few weeks back was real good though

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
I think spont had a rough spot that I was afraid they'd never get out of but these days it's averaging at pretty good

a lot of the interview segments are super cringe tho. unless you always wanted to hear what LA comedians really think about GMO and whether social media is really bringing us closer together, or if it's just like a screen that, like is really keeping us separated

wsg is okay. it's never obnoxious so I'll put it in if I just want some affable background noise I can tune in and it of

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
The improv part of Spont tends to get kinda messy and the interview part can be hit or miss depending on the guest but I'm just glad I get to hear PFT's stream-of-consciousness rants scored by Eban's piano again, those were always my favorite parts of the Tompkast.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

feedmyleg posted:

Same, when it comes to singer/songwriter tastes. It's not even an issue of taste, though - I just don't want to listen to a 3 minute song while I'm in a mood to be more engaged and laugh. I actually like a couple of other improv podcasts better because they just do rapidfire scenes. At least get storytellers on and do it Asssscat style.
What other improv podcasts do you listen to? I'd like to listen to more myself. You Tell It is great but hasn't updated in a month.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I suspect You Tell It didn't get picked up by the new UCB podcast owner because it wasn't mentioned in the press release. I almost asked Michael Kaine after a show tonight but didn't want to be rude.

But really it's just that and Make Yourself Comfy. I wish there were more. The ASSSSCAT podcast was great but disappeared off the internet with their newest site update.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Illinois Smith posted:

The improv part of Spont tends to get kinda messy and the interview part can be hit or miss depending on the guest but I'm just glad I get to hear PFT's stream-of-consciousness rants scored by Eban's piano again, those were always my favorite parts of the Tompkast.

Replace the interview with a Jen Kirkman phone conversation and Spont becomes perfect.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
WSG is really hard to listen to because there is rarely anyone playing as the straight man and it turns into just constant one-upmanship of being wacky. But when it hits, it's really good.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Old Swerdlow posted:

But when Wild Horses are on an episode, it's really good.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
I never saw these or heard of the podcast before seeing it in another thread, but there are these extremely long interviews of Hayes and Sean, separately, if you're interested in those. Here are two clips from them that are just about the show:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeW5nHGtJdw https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8b2cDzEjEM

I think it's cute that Hayes has formed his current sense of humor based largely on Sean's

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Tarranon posted:

I think spont had a rough spot that I was afraid they'd never get out of but these days it's averaging at pretty good

a lot of the interview segments are super cringe tho. unless you always wanted to hear what LA comedians really think about GMO and whether social media is really bringing us closer together, or if it's just like a screen that, like is really keeping us separated

wsg is okay. it's never obnoxious so I'll put it in if I just want some affable background noise I can tune in and it of

A lot of the quality of the show depends on what kind of story the special guest tells, so getting someone talking about their ideas on conspiracy theories doesn't lead to much. But sometimes you get someone who's super-willing to make fun of themselves, like Jason Ritter, or someone who's just a delight to have on and hear speak, like Kristen Schaal. It definitely helps if the person is someone PFT refers to as a friend, because the conversation tends to be a lot looser, and thus funnier.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Wait, you actually met Harry Belafonte, but you're singing about pineapples?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

UP AND ADAM posted:

I never saw these or heard of the podcast before seeing it in another thread, but there are these extremely long interviews of Hayes and Sean, separately, if you're interested in those. Here are two clips from them that are just about the show:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeW5nHGtJdw https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8b2cDzEjEM

I think it's cute that Hayes has formed his current sense of humor based largely on Sean's

Their two Trends with Benefits epis are good too. Sean had a story about having to throw away a backpack because Hayes bought the exact same one a week later.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Sean was on an episode of "Don't get me started" that was really interesting. It was very serious and personal about Sean's life and his past. Very weird hearing them when they're not playing their bizarro characters.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

piratepilates posted:

Sean was on an episode of "Don't get me started" that was really interesting. It was very serious and personal about Sean's life and his past. Very weird hearing them when they're not playing their bizarro characters.

what was even better was hearing him incorporate his sincere opinions on sentimental music into his comedy and make fun of it the next week

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Every time Sean and Hayes are sincere they come off as really genuine decent guys.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
Agreed. They are cool and nice and also smart.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

i think that's why rss stands so far above HH (and every other podcast) for me. The mix of sincere and character stuff on that show was pretty much perfect imo.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

i think that's why rss stands so far above HH (and every other podcast) for me. The mix of sincere and character stuff on that show was pretty much perfect imo.

...but it was sincerely about dumb reality tv bullshit...

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

WoG posted:

...but it was sincerely about dumb reality tv bullshit...
RSS was funny because reality tv is loving dumb and weird. If you hate reality tv RSS was the best podcast.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I HAVE A BMW, A PORSCHE, A MONSTER TRUCK AND 30 COMPANIES. SUCK MY DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICK

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

UP AND ADAM posted:

It's amazing how something as great as Sean and Hayes could come from something as terrible as Allen Gregory.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

UP AND ADAM posted:

This host doesn't know poo poo about George Harrison :colbert:

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Andy Daly on a live Spont, this is gonna be good.

Flaskraven
Nov 20, 2012

I hope you get crushed to death by a fat guy trying to commit suicide by falling out of a window and when the paramedics answer the local bystander asking if you'll live, he just says "fat chance" and laughs.

Illinois Smith posted:

Andy Daly on a live Spont, this is gonna be good.

I saw that when the LA podfest didn't lock down their videos for a while. It's a great episode, one of the best sponts. Janet Varney is a goddamn treasure.

Also, the first ad in this episode is literally four and a half minutes long. Paul's ads are the worst.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Zsinjeh posted:

RSS was funny because reality tv is loving dumb and weird. If you hate reality tv RSS was the best podcast.

but i love reality tv and i think its the best podcast

i think... maybe its just best podcast

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

mr.capps posted:

but i love reality tv and i think its the best podcast

i think... maybe its just best podcast
taken from us too soon :smith:

we should each pony up :10bux: to have an ad read on HH and ask them to do a quick review on whatever reality tv is going on now

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
I've been going thru some box Angeles eps with all the people that I like and wow it's a special treat to listen to Scott aukerman politely follow along while the host rants about how he might be the only person in the world who buys groceries based on the price per ounce

dat's good ranting

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

The Matt Walsh lecture on today's I4H is great. Could've been shorter though by just playing a 15 minute clip from Spontaneation.

e: Ha. Only after finishing it did I notice it was Ian Roberts. They have the exact same voice.

WerthersWay fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Dec 9, 2015

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Last 2 Hollywood handbooks saved my commute. Real good

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

The Matt Walsh lecture on today's I4H is great. Could've been shorter though by just playing a 15 minute clip from Spontaneation.

e: Ha. Only after finishing it did I notice it was Ian Roberts. They have the exact same voice.

I thought it was pretty interesting but man the guy from that nerdist improv school thing did a really bad job defending himself

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Last 2 Hollywood handbooks saved my commute. Real good

uhhh, scotty don't.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

This stuff drives me crazy because people act like ucb process is bad because they need to differentiate themselves but they'd be better off just saying like hey unlike ucb you don't have to refresh a page every seven seconds to sign up for a class at 9 am on tuesdays so that in a year and a half you can compete against 800 people to actually go on stage once and a while.

Shunkymonky
Sep 10, 2006
'sup
I can't find it mentioned, but AVclub gave Hollywood Handbook a double dose of love in their Year end Podmass: http://www.avclub.com/article/podmass-2015-superlatives-including-awards-obama-a-229359

Cutest couple: Sean Clements and Hayes Davenport,
Hollywood Handbook: Nip/Tuck Commentary

Class clown: Earwolf Engineer Cody “Grease Nose” Skully
Hollywood Handbook: The Grease Knows Eggs Show With Jesse Thorn

Engineer Cody Boy's appearances have been pretty great this year. From the whole Tom Shcharpling bit to the impromptu I Love Lucy impression, but I think my favourite is walking into the Paul F Tompkin episode and shouting a barely audible "Bababooey".

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

I thought it was pretty interesting but man the guy from that nerdist improv school thing did a really bad job defending himself

Yeah in the interview Roberts was referring to this guy sounds like he's trying to say that his school is significantly different, but after hearing him try to explain himself I came away with the impression that he's teaching in basically the same way as UCB but uses words like 'method' and 'pillars' instead of 'rules'.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Shunkymonky posted:

I can't find it mentioned, but AVclub gave Hollywood Handbook a double dose of love in their Year end Podmass: http://www.avclub.com/article/podmass-2015-superlatives-including-awards-obama-a-229359

"high school DJ Tom Scharpling"

perfect

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Shunkymonky posted:

Engineer Cody Boy's appearances have been pretty great this year. From the whole Tom Shcharpling bit to the impromptu I Love Lucy impression, but I think my favourite is walking into the Paul F Tompkin episode and shouting a barely audible "Bababooey".

I really enjoyed Cody asking Hayes if he wanted him to bleep the swear in the Teaser Freezer theme, then inserting a bleep while Sean was talking about 30 seconds later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Who called in as "Andrew" the second time?