Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

CharlestheHammer posted:

My favorite Beast moment is him turning on Cyclops for X-force. He turns to Logan, who led X-force.

then proceeds to build planet destroying bombs and poo poo in self defence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Wheat Loaf posted:

One area where it suffers is that the story is really, really compressed. I am fairly sure it begins after the Emperor has already come back and convinced Luke to join him, which is all info-dumped in the "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away" opening crawl.

Not the case, doing a little poking around. You get to see the capture and talk, after Luke looking cool and no-selling an AT-AT shot, then bringing the thing down.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Dec 4, 2015

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Fair enough. Dark Empire sort of blurs together with Tales of the Jedi in my mind, and it definitely had that problem.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

which is all info-dumped in the "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away" opening crawl.

Bloodly posted:

Not the case, doing a little poking around.

Yeah, it's actually pretty much the opposite.
(stolen from Amazon's "Look Inside" the current(?) version of the trade)

redbackground fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Dec 4, 2015

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

jsoh posted:

then proceeds to build planet destroying bombs and poo poo in self defence

He also confronts Logan about his independent X-force, which Logan says he needs to run. Beast is like well if you need too go ahead I guess. Dude is just an rear end in a top hat.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
There was also that time Beast decided to interrupt Nightcrawler's funeral to throw a fit at Scott some more. Like I get that he blamed Scott for Nightcrawler's death, but it was still pretty dickish.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Ah yes the time night crawler died protecting a little girl. Obviously something he should have just let happen.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

CharlestheHammer posted:

Ah yes the time night crawler died protecting a little girl. Obviously something he should have just let happen.

In Claremont's time Nightcrawler would have failed, the girl would have died, and he would have spent the next thirty issues across two titles brooding about it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I will give them a pass for the first incarnation of X-force because Logan tasked them to hunt and kill Purifiers, who are really the worst. They make Sons of the Serpent and the Hatemonger look tolerant.

"A Mutant baby was born in this town. Lets set EVERYONE on fire!" what how they were introduced. I fully support Scott telling Logan "assemble the most killiest X-men you can find and kill all the Purifiers. All of them".

It's the later incarnation where Phantomex executes a kid Apocalypse that is unforgivable.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

I will give them a pass for the first incarnation of X-force because Logan tasked them to hunt and kill Purifiers, who are really the worst. They make Sons of the Serpent and the Hatemonger look tolerant.

"A Mutant baby was born in this town. Lets set EVERYONE on fire!" what how they were introduced. I fully support Scott telling Logan "assemble the most killiest X-men you can find and kill all the Purifiers. All of them".

It's the later incarnation where Phantomex executes a kid Apocalypse that is unforgivable.

Basically, if Deadpool has to be the one reading you the riot act, you done hosed up.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I found out today that Garth Ennis is writing a god drat romantic comedy book from Dynamite, A Train Called Love.

The book is :what:.txt.

Howard Beale posted:

In Claremont's time Nightcrawler would have failed, the girl would have died, and he would have spent the next thirty issues across two titles brooding about it.

That's Wolverine's schtick. Nightcrawler would've succeeded in high swashbuckling style, and the girl would have occasionally shown up in crowd scenes for the next ten years as an Easter egg for long-time readers, still carrying a torch for Kurt. There's an issue of Uncanny volume 1 around the 200-ish zone where Nightcrawler meets and ends up saving a woman in Manhattan from Arcade, who has no idea why an assassin would be trying to kill her, and they find out at the end of the issue that she was unknowingly the last surviving member of a small European royal family.

Edit: I went to reread the issue. It's not as good as I remember it and it does start with some cask-strength brooding, but Kurt does succeed and nobody dies. Meta-textually, it's probably a direct reaction to the burgeoning post-Frank Miller darkness of mid-'80s cape books. Also, the European royal family in question is literally Ruritania, which is funny in a deep-cut literary sort of way.

There's a reason why one of the first things that happened in the "grim and gritty" era of Uncanny was writing out Kurt and Kitty, the two characters who fit least comfortably into that mood.

(Something people have lost track of about Arcade, I think, as much as the fans like to mock his relatively low success rate, is that the character was pretty much always intended as an excuse to let artists draw massive psychedelic fantasy scenes that varied widely even within a single issue.)

Wanderer fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Dec 4, 2015

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

twistedmentat posted:

Uncanny X-Force is way too compelling for basically being a comic just about people who do bad things, and then feel bad about them, but there you have it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Wanderer posted:

I
(Something people have lost track of about Arcade, I think, as much as the fans like to mock his relatively low success rate, is that the character was pretty much always intended as an excuse to let artists draw massive psychedelic fantasy scenes that varied widely even within a single issue.)

Also turn Colossus into The Proletarian. The soviet superhero!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

bobkatt013 posted:

I can't believe the Proletarian was never a member of Exiles.

UntilYouAreSoNude
Apr 21, 2008

Ghostlight posted:

Oh my god, the cover for that Doom Force comic is :perfect:

My brother found me a mint condition copy of this a few years ago, and it's one of my most prized possessions.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bobkatt013 posted:

After meeting a holographic projection of Vladimir Lenin.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Arcade is a fun villian because he's not actually that evil - he just likes to bulid really elaborate traps and see if superheroes can beat them. He's more a wierd amoral guy with an odd hobby than evil. Then comes along that dreadful comic where Arcade is GRIMDARK and bulids a Battle Royale rip-off island (if you don't want people to draw paralells with the movie, don't base the cover of the first issue on the movie's poster - at least save it for a variant cover or something) where a bunch of cult favourite characters kill each other in really mean spirited ways for no real reason?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Pretty much every villain in the big two escalates to psychopathic child murderer at some point.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Has Colossus ever met Russia's other metal-muscled man of might, the no-bullshit literal reanimated Stalin? That entire Lethal Legion looks like a STAH candidate, tbh. "The most sensitive portrayal of one of the architects of the Shoah is obviously a supervillain with poison gas powers. Let's call him Zyklon." —a Marvel editor, probably

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Wanderer posted:

I found out today that Garth Ennis is writing a god drat romantic comedy book from Dynamite, A Train Called Love.

The book is :what:.txt.

For whatever reason, this description reminded me of Mark Millar's Nemesis. I find it a little difficult to think of a more :what:.txt book than that.

For those that have had the pleasure of never hearing about it, reading the Wikipedia plot synopsis is a loving baffling litany of wondering just what the gently caress. It's four issues of Mark Millar writing a villain who's just so smart and amazing and clever and wildly murderous and who knows how every little thing is going to go and it's really wretched for a multitude of reasons. But really, the highlight is this little bit:

quote:

He kidnaps Morrow's children, forcing Morrow to reveal secrets: his wife had an affair; his son is gay; and his daughter had a secret abortion. All of these secrets were kept from him as Morrow is a devoted Catholic. Nemesis releases the children but he has artificially inseminated Morrow's daughter with the son's sperm, with her womb rigged to collapse if an abortion is attempted.

This is, somehow, a real thing. This was printed. There's something wrong with Mark Millar.

Or maybe it's this little bit right here:

quote:

On August 10, 2015, it was announced that Warner Bros will adapt the film.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

catlord posted:

For those that have had the pleasure of never hearing about it, reading the Wikipedia plot synopsis is a loving baffling litany of wondering just what the gently caress. It's four issues of Mark Millar writing a villain who's just so smart and amazing and clever and wildly murderous and who knows how every little thing is going to go and it's really wretched for a multitude of reasons. But really, the highlight is this little bit:

The idea was "what if Batman were a bad guy". He even dressed like Batman, except in all white.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Squizzle posted:

Has Colossus ever met Russia's other metal-muscled man of might, the no-bullshit literal reanimated Stalin? That entire Lethal Legion looks like a STAH candidate, tbh. "The most sensitive portrayal of one of the architects of the Shoah is obviously a supervillain with poison gas powers. Let's call him Zyklon." —a Marvel editor, probably

"the demon known as Satannish", this is pretty amazing poo poo right here.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Light Gun Man posted:

"the demon known as Satannish", this is pretty amazing poo poo right here.

Just kinda sorta Satanic, I guess. Like 40% devilry.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

OldMemes posted:

Arcade is a fun villian because he's not actually that evil - he just likes to bulid really elaborate traps and see if superheroes can beat them.

I wouldn't say that he's not evil. Bear in mind he starts luring heroes into his deathtraps because he's bored with normal people just flat-out dying in them. While a lot of his elements are goofy and silly, and he's stuck with the curse of being an assassin trying to kill people whose name is on the comic's cover, it's not like he didn't want to kill people. While Avengers Arena was definitely a new low, at the same time he's always been somebody that makes people suffer and die - or at least tries - because he's a rich, bored psychopath.

That's not to say he's not covered in light elements, from his goofball fashion sense to his surreal deathtraps, but they also make it easy to forget that he was portrayed as a creepy murderer right from the start.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I wouldn't say that he's not evil. Bear in mind he starts luring heroes into his deathtraps because he's bored with normal people just flat-out dying in them. While a lot of his elements are goofy and silly, and he's stuck with the curse of being an assassin trying to kill people whose name is on the comic's cover, it's not like he didn't want to kill people. While Avengers Arena was definitely a new low, at the same time he's always been somebody that makes people suffer and die - or at least tries - because he's a rich, bored psychopath.

That's not to say he's not covered in light elements, from his goofball fashion sense to his surreal deathtraps, but they also make it easy to forget that he was portrayed as a creepy murderer right from the start.

I mean, I've said it before and I'll say it again, he doesn't call it Murderworld because it isn't a world for murdering. Like, the Riddler is a character who actually is often written as somebody more interested in testing people than in killing them. That's why he's called the Riddler and not the Murderer. And Arcade's schtick, alas, isn't a place called Riddleworld.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Dec 5, 2015

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

What about Candy Apple Island?

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Arctic Baldwin posted:

What about Candy Apple Island?

Candy Apple Island? What do they have there?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

plainswalker75 posted:

Candy Apple Island? What do they have there?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

twistedmentat posted:

The main issue with X-Force the third, morally speaking, was probably the fact they tapped X-23 & Elixir to be members despite both being minors.

Wanderer posted:

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Archyduke posted:

I mean, I've said it before and I'll say it again, he doesn't call it Murderworld because it isn't a world for murdering. Like, the Riddler is a character who actually is often written as somebody more interested in testing people than in killing them. That's why he's called the Riddler and not the Murderer. And Arcade's schtick, alas, isn't a place called Riddleworld.
Warning: :words: about Avengers Arena ahead.

All of those points are true, which is why Arena sucked. Because it was literally 'kids on an island, now watch them fight'. Considering that apparently it was an elaborate holodeck type situation, you'd have thought Arcade would have broken out some much more interesting ways to try and kill them than pedestrian natural disasters. He usually has his victims at his mercy when he captures them since they're usually unconscious. He could just slit their throats if he wanted them dead, but instead he stuffs them into Murderworld. Now yes, he is trying to kill them while they're there, but it's about the game to him. If they make it through to the end, he'll cheerfully let them leave. Hell, he started targeted superheroes because the ordinary saps kept dying - he'd rather have a fun game where he loses than an easy win. Which is what Arena was, where he just got his hands on (not invented, it all came from Miss Coriander, who we never saw again) basically 'I win' powers, but did virtually nothing with them other than blast Mettle to pieces (which doesn't fit his MO) and...that's roughly it? Honestly if he got his hands on the stuff he used in Arena I could frankly see him thinking 'now I can really have some fun!' rather than 'now I can really rack up my bodycount!'

He's always trying to kill people, but he wants to do it in an entertaining way. Which is really how the Joker should work, too.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Yvonmukluk posted:

The main issue with X-Force the third, morally speaking, was probably the fact they tapped X-23 & Elixir to be members despite both being minors.

Considering Laura had already been killing people long before it, it makes sense. Also, it enabled Logan and Laura to work together more. Plus, gave Hope an actual Friend. Elixir though, there are no healing mutants in their majority?

Actually i kinda hope that Hope comes back in All New Wolverine. She's basically been shelved for a while now, but then we don't know what is going on with her since SW. She was in a coma before that though, I think.

I love that, lets introduce a new character thats super important and build years of plotlines about her, then when its over, she just gets regulated to the background and then put in a coma. Which is sad because I really liked Hope and there was groundwork for her to be the one to seal the breach between Avengers and X-men, but nope. Even if she did pop Wanda in the face in front of Cap and Tony.

BTW, that reminds me of one of my favorite short lived series, A+X. It was a series of short stories, generally 2 per issue that had an X-men and an Avenger team up for some reason. Maybe its Cap in ww2 alongside time traveling Cable. Maybe its Kitty and Spider-Woman dealing with a perpetually shirtless Absorbing Man. Or Beast and Wonderman rekindling their friendship and going to Karaoke with Creel. The weird thing about the book was it couldn't decide if it was going to be a comedy book or a serious book for serious people. It was at its best when it was fun and light and Deadpool had Hulk Hands arrows to help Hawkeye rescue their favorite Mexican Chef and not when its super serious about Thor accidental being in Limbo and Magik being a giant bitch to him for it. Seriously, any story involving Thor and someone else that does not end with them sharing a drink its a failure. It's not really surprising that it lasted only like a dozen issues.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

twistedmentat posted:

Considering Laura had already been killing people long before it, it makes sense. Also, it enabled Logan and Laura to work together more. Plus, gave Hope an actual Friend. Elixir though, there are no healing mutants in their majority?

I think the main issue was that they were kind of supposed to be getting Laura out of the killing people business. I know at least in the Liu run Emma called out Scott on that & Gambit gave Logan a 'what the gently caress were you thinking' over that exact point. As for Elixir, they had Angel, but of course he'd had his wings ripped out and was the one that needed healing. He was only meant to be there for that but he kinda got sucked in.

twistedmentat posted:

Actually i kinda hope that Hope comes back in All New Wolverine. She's basically been shelved for a while now, but then we don't know what is going on with her since SW. She was in a coma before that though, I think.

I love that, lets introduce a new character thats super important and build years of plotlines about her, then when its over, she just gets regulated to the background and then put in a coma. Which is sad because I really liked Hope and there was groundwork for her to be the one to seal the breach between Avengers and X-men, but nope. Even if she did pop Wanda in the face in front of Cap and Tony.

BTW, that reminds me of one of my favorite short lived series, A+X. It was a series of short stories, generally 2 per issue that had an X-men and an Avenger team up for some reason. Maybe its Cap in ww2 alongside time traveling Cable. Maybe its Kitty and Spider-Woman dealing with a perpetually shirtless Absorbing Man. Or Beast and Wonderman rekindling their friendship and going to Karaoke with Creel. The weird thing about the book was it couldn't decide if it was going to be a comedy book or a serious book for serious people. It was at its best when it was fun and light and Deadpool had Hulk Hands arrows to help Hawkeye rescue their favorite Mexican Chef and not when its super serious about Thor accidental being in Limbo and Magik being a giant bitch to him for it. Seriously, any story involving Thor and someone else that does not end with them sharing a drink its a failure. It's not really surprising that it lasted only like a dozen issues.
That's kind of the problem with comics, it seems like barring occasional breakout characters, most new young characters get pushed to the wayside/killed off in favour of newer young characters that are totally going to be sticking around this time we swear! I find it hilarious that the current pick for that role in the X-Universe are...the literal original X-Men, plus not one but two clones of two of the most popular X-Men characters (and Idie). Outta the way Hope Summers (hinted-at reincarnation of Jean Grey until they changed their minds), actual teenager Jean Grey is the new Most Important Mutant Ever (TM). It's so hilariously cynical. 'We can't invent new mutants that stick, so we'll literally recycle the ones people already like, only making them younger.' I'm pretty sure that's the rationale Mojo used when he made the X-Babies.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Dec 5, 2015

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

A friend is poking around in comics and is aghast at stuff. :v:

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Let's not forget Rage!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I'm dying to know what happens on the next page.

Dredd refused to give up on the creep and ordered remote drone surveillance on the guy and discovered the guy was working two jobs.

In Megacity 1, unemployment sits around 99%, so having more than one job is a serious crime. During the day, the guy worked as a store window mannequin and, at night, was a mattress tester.

The prog ends with Dredd saying, "Now the only thing I don't understand is how this guy who worked 24 hours a day managed to spend all that money in the first place."

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Dec 6, 2015

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Kellsterik posted:

Let's not forget Rage!

In this vein, DC had a mixed race character named Mongrel whose power was fuelled by rage and resentment.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

catlord posted:

It's four issues of Mark Millar writing a villain who's just so smart and amazing and clever and wildly murderous and who knows how every little thing is going to go and it's really wretched for a multitude of reasons.

It did get revealed that the bad guy was just a bored rich bro who paid a global evil organization to be the supervillian Nemesis for a year like all the Nemesis before him. So he was neither smart, amazing, or clever in the end.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

catlord posted:

This is, somehow, a real thing. This was printed. There's something wrong with Mark Millar.

Or maybe it's this little bit right here:

Shit_that_actually_happened.txt: Mark Millar sold his soul to some sort of demon to have every piece of poo poo he puts on paper made into a movie.

I mean that has to have actually happened right? No one writer can write so much banal poo poo and somehow come out on top without influence from some sort of dark magic.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

my fav mark millar trivia is he started his career writing Streets of Rage comics for some british Sega magazine

E: http://soronline.net/misc_stc.htm

The Saddest Rhino fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Dec 7, 2015

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
He also did some of the Sonic strips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

His Superman Adventures work is v. readable.

• Locked thread