Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

packetmantis posted:

I tried Towerclimb and the tutorial was like 30 minutes of complex keyboard interactions so I gave up.

Try the manual http://store.steampowered.com/manual/396640

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I don't think I've seen anyone give Teleglitch a blurb, so here goes:

Teleglitch: More or less what you'd get if you tried to make DoomRL into a realtime game without actually turning it back into Doom: a top-down survival-horror shooter with some light crafting elements. A ton of fun once you learn how it works, but has something of a cliff-like learning curve before that, due to a non-customizable difficulty and a stupid checkpoint system that only unlocks checkpoints after you don't need them any more. Watch a video or two to learn how to play -- there's a Let's Play which also includes a subtitled run by yours truly. Best death: in video form.

And on the subject of Teleglitch, I finally managed a run in which I remembered not to kill the final boss as quickly as possible, and instead completely humiliated it. I also discovered that the max stack size for the "armor" item is 4 -- you can only get that item into your inventory by crafting armor when already at 100% armor. I had six of the things at one point.

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Dec 4, 2015

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

General Emergency posted:

Has anyone played NecroDancer with a dance pad? That sounds like the most fun and frustrating thing ever.
Thinking about, I think it'd be pretty unpleasant. Roguelikes often involve walking long distances in straight lines, which is one of the more tiring things to do on a dancepad because you can't alternate feet and have to keep tapping the same one.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Thinking about, I think it'd be pretty unpleasant. Roguelikes often involve walking long distances in straight lines, which is one of the more tiring things to do on a dancepad because you can't alternate feet and have to keep tapping the same one.

You can alternate feet on the same arrow, just march in place. The key is to completely shift your weight on each step so only one foot is down at a time.

Knightsoul
Dec 19, 2008
It amuse me that in this thread no one throw some love to "Sword of the Stars: The Pit" : I find it really great, varied and challenging for a roguelike.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Knightsoul posted:

It amuse me that in this thread no one throw some love to "Sword of the Stars: The Pit" : I find it really great, varied and challenging for a roguelike.

It kinda got a bad rap around here, there are a few people who enjoyed but more who felt like it didn't pass muster.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I don't think I've seen anyone give Teleglitch a blurb, so here goes:

Teleglitch: More or less what you'd get if you tried to make DoomRL into a realtime game without actually turning it back into Doom: a top-down survival-horror shooter with some light crafting elements. A ton of fun once you learn how it works, but has something of a cliff-like learning curve before that, due to a non-customizable difficulty and a stupid checkpoint system that only unlocks checkpoints after you don't need them any more. Watch a video or two to learn how to play -- there's a Let's Play which also includes a subtitled run by yours truly. Best death: in video form.

It is also like DoomRL in that sound is very important, although unlike DoomRL not having sound on means you will routinely get one-shotted from full health by enemies with hitscan weapons.

That and the fact that you can't save and you need to get halfway through the game to make any sort of persistent progress at all completely killed it for me.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

ToxicFrog posted:

It is also like DoomRL in that sound is very important, although unlike DoomRL not having sound on means you will routinely get one-shotted from full health by enemies with hitscan weapons.

That and the fact that you can't save and you need to get halfway through the game to make any sort of persistent progress at all completely killed it for me.

It's not quite that dire, but yes, the armed guards will wreck your poo poo if you don't know they're coming, and I had a number of ragequits before I watched a video and figured out how to recognize enemies before they could beat me up. I won't claim that Teleglitch is perfectly designed, but I find it to be a lot of fun once you've learned its systems.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

Knightsoul posted:

It isn't terrible, but at the same time when I was trying to write something for it, I kept coming up with reasons why some of its mechanics weren't well thought out and/or terrible.

Pumpkinreaper fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Dec 4, 2015

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost
A lot of The Pit's systems encourage degenerate strategies, and I'd rather play a game than have to play around it.

e: I recommend Sublevel Zero as a Descent roguelikelike. It's good.

A HUNGRY MOUTH fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Dec 5, 2015

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Pumpkinreaper posted:

It isn't terrible, but at the same time when I was trying to write something for it, I kept coming up with reasons why some of its mechanics weren't well thought out and/or terrible.

I would argue that it is, in fact, entirely terrible. I think I've posted to that effect in this very thread?

e: I have.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

PleasingFungus posted:

I would argue that it is, in fact, entirely terrible. I think I've posted to that effect in this very thread?

e: I have.

I'll take a piece of that action too.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
All I remember is that it was Crafting: The Roguelike. I hate crafting so it didn't get a long stay with me.

Plus the general DCSS philosophy around trad roguelike design is good imo, and SoTS: The Pit is pretty much totally contrary to it in a lot of respects.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

All I remember is that it was Crafting: The Roguelike. I hate crafting so it didn't get a long stay with me.

Plus the general DCSS philosophy around trad roguelike design is good imo, and SoTS: The Pit is pretty much totally contrary to it in a lot of respects.

Except the crafting system sucks. I have a stove. I have meat. I need a recipe to roast meat? How did humanity even survive to reach space in the first place if you can't simply roast meat with a heat source?

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

Samizdata posted:

Except the crafting system sucks. I have a stove. I have meat. I need a recipe to roast meat? How did humanity even survive to reach space in the first place if you can't simply roast meat with a heat source?

You can craft it without knowing the recipe, but it still blows since there's a fairly good chance of it failing. (not because you don't know it, because the game sucks and makes you dump points to cook better).

Though the method you get crafting recipes is loving bullshit and will take a long rear end time to even learn a good amount of them.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You guys realize when you fail you're burning the ever loving poo poo out of it yeah?

The problem with Cataclysm is that no-one takes any flaws / starter skills, they all go for mutations because people freak out about "optimum points."

Having a 1 in something means you and an invalid are about par for that given task. That's why level 1 cooking is "Boil water" "Cook meat on stick" "Goddammit you burnt the meat again you idiot." The thing is, you could get to the meat of the game a lot quicker by plugging some points in skills, so that you don't spend the first 20 minutes of the game grinding.

It's less "optimal" though, because mutations are semi-random, and skill can decay.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
So your character can one day just forget the complex process of cooking food over a heat source then? haha

Actually that reminds me a bit of Ultima Online, where you could cook an entire stack of 1000 meat over a fire, and if you failed, then oops! the entire 1000 meats were deleted forever. I think later they came up with the sensible idea of not being able to fail at cooking basic food items.

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Dec 5, 2015

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.

Mercury_Storm posted:

So your character can one day just forget the complex process of cooking food over a heat source then? haha

Actually that reminds me a bit of Ultima Online, where you could cook an entire stack of 1000 meat over a fire, and if you failed the entire 1000 meats were deleted forever. I think later they came up with the sensible idea of not being able to fail at cooking meat.

I think it'd be more, 'Wait how long did I have to cook this bit for again? Ah poo poo wait I burned it...'

That said it's still kind of kludgy and obnoxious to have it entirely vanish.

Deargodalion
Jun 27, 2011

Something clever.
Lipstick Apathy

Turtlicious posted:

You guys realize when you fail you're burning the ever loving poo poo out of it yeah?

The problem with Cataclysm is that no-one takes any flaws / starter skills, they all go for mutations because people freak out about "optimum points."

Having a 1 in something means you and an invalid are about par for that given task. That's why level 1 cooking is "Boil water" "Cook meat on stick" "Goddammit you burnt the meat again you idiot." The thing is, you could get to the meat of the game a lot quicker by plugging some points in skills, so that you don't spend the first 20 minutes of the game grinding.

It's less "optimal" though, because mutations are semi-random, and skill can decay.

They aren't talking about cataclysm, though

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Also if you're not taking flaws in Cataclysm you aren't playing anywhere close to optimally, since many of the flaws have minimal or easily countered effects which you can trade in for stats or the (very small) number of mutations that are actually better than stats.

Of course, really playing optimally involves taking flaws that will be overridden and erased by positive mutations, and leaving all but one of your stats at the default value because you're going to spend the first year or two of game time gathering ingredients for a mutagen that will kick them all through the roof anyways. :v:

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Dec 5, 2015

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
does the word 'optimal' even mean anything

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

does the word 'optimal' even mean anything

In terms of Crawl development, it means "the reason why we are removing something fun" :colbert:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Floodkiller posted:

In terms of Crawl development, it means "the reason why we are removing something fun" :colbert:

:drat:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
The best "optimal" way to play Cataclysm is to turn on stats through skills, take drawbacks you don't care about, take the best positive traits you can, and raid a library as soon as possible. Read books about swords until you're as swole as Hercules! :pseudo:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Ah, the Conan the Librarian build.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

This just got revealed in the PS4 Experience 2015 presentation. No clue how much of a roguelike it will actually be past the stylistic choice, but I'm at least interested.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Floodkiller posted:

This just got revealed in the PS4 Experience 2015 presentation. No clue how much of a roguelike it will actually be past the stylistic choice, but I'm at least interested.

It looks like Gauntlet or Diablo crossed with Tron. I'm disappointed that the dragon didn't (as far as I can tell) have a "d" or "D" or it, but the aesthetics are interesting anyway. Also I'm mentally pronouncing the name "Brutatl".

EDIT: vvvvv okay, I'm blind, nevermind!

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Dec 5, 2015

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It looks like Gauntlet or Diablo crossed with Tron. I'm disappointed that the dragon didn't (as far as I can tell) have a "d" or "D" or it, but the aesthetics are interesting anyway. Also I'm mentally pronouncing the name "Brutatl".

It has a big "D" right on its chest :confused:

E: In fact, rewatching the trailer, every single enemy has a letter on their chest, which is a pretty cool touch.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Turtlicious posted:

They were talking about SotS:TP. I think it has some kind of dumb metagame crafting system where you start out without any recipes but learned ones persist between characters.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Also if you're not taking flaws in Cataclysm you aren't playing anywhere close to optimally, since many of the flaws have minimal or easily countered effects which you can trade in for stats or the (very small) number of mutations that are actually better than stats.

Of course, really playing optimally involves taking flaws that will be overridden and erased by positive mutations, and leaving all but one of your stats at the default value because you're going to spend the first year or two of game time gathering ingredients for a mutagen that will kick them all through the roof anyways. :v:

it's a single player game

Ah Map
Oct 9, 2012
The first thing the majority of the PS4 userbase cry out when playing their new console for the first time is "WHERE IS THE ASCII?"

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Ah Map posted:

The first thing the majority of the PS4 userbase cry out when playing their new console for the first time is "WHERE IS THE ASCII?"

I am crying that out just generally throughout the day

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

packetmantis posted:

So what?

I think the objection you're looking for is "it doesn't have a win condition." But even then, character creation values things on a point basis, and figuring out how maximize your effective point value vs. actual point value is a fun exercise in itself.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

So what?

I think the objection you're looking for is "it doesn't have a win condition." But even then, character creation values things on a point basis, and figuring out how maximize your effective point value vs. actual point value is a fun exercise in itself.

:smuggo:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Yes, you took a jackhammer to a Rubik's Cube, good job.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

packetmantis posted:

If there are tedious-but-optimal ways to play your game, you are going to have a great many players going "your game sucks there's all this tedious bullshit I have to do" while you're sitting there screaming "oh my god guys you can just not do that."

And you know, they're not wrong.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

It should never be the player's responsibility to police themselves into having fun, especially if it means being more likely to lose as a result. You're right that doing it anyways is irrational, but the rational thing to do in that situation is to play a well-designed game instead.

This doesn't really relate to Cataclysm though because breaking Cataclysm over your knee is actually entertaining and engaging in its own right. :shobon:

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Yes, you took a jackhammer to a Rubik's Cube, good job.

Yeah, you do seem like the kind of insufferable nerd that thinks solving a colorful toy makes him smarter than the other people in anime club.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

packetmantis posted:

Yeah, you do seem like the kind of insufferable nerd that thinks solving a colorful toy makes him smarter than the other people in anime club.

You're taking this awfully personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

You're taking this awfully personally.

ah yes the 'no u' defense