Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Zaphod42 posted:

Because it'd make it really easy to shoplift?

I guess you could have the cashiers just check everything but depending upon how much stuff you had it'd take just as long.

Welcome to the future of shopping, courtesy of IBM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eob532iEpqk

edit: I thought this was from the 90s, but some other site lists it as only about 10 years old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

JediTalentAgent posted:

Welcome to the future of shopping, courtesy of IBM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eob532iEpqk

edit: I thought this was from the 90s, but some other site lists it as only about 10 years old.

I'm pretty sure its paying homage to Run Lola Run which came out in '98 so it might be late 90s.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Cat Hatter posted:

I'm pretty sure its paying homage to Run Lola Run which came out in '98 so it might be late 90s.

No, I remember it about a decade ago. I was still married at that point as I remember discussing it with my ex who worked in grocery at the time.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Samizdata posted:

No, I remember it about a decade ago. I was still married at that point as I remember discussing it with my ex who worked in grocery at the time.

About a decade ago was 2005.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cat Hatter posted:

About a decade ago was 2005.

Nah, that was like 1996.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Zaphod42 posted:

Because it'd make it really easy to shoplift?

I guess you could have the cashiers just check everything but depending upon how much stuff you had it'd take just as long.

There are two self scanning systems at most supermarkets where I live - one where you bring the stuff to the checkout and scan there (good for when you only have a few items), the other where you pick up a portable scanner on the way in and scan as you go.

For the former there is one staff member keeping an eye on six to eight checkouts and your purchases get weighed as you scan them (so if something of an unexpected weight ends up in your bag the checkout flags that and stops you from going any further)

For the second type you need to sign up and bring a card with you each time and sometimes your basket will get selected to be re-scanned by an operator. The system keeps track of how accurate you were compared to the re-scan and adjusts your probability of needing a re-scan next time based off that.

I guess you could trick the system and get away with something you shouldn't, but then again most shoplifters would just stuff whatever they were stealing down their pants which would work just as well on a normal manned checkout.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
Ah self service checkouts, I love how some supermarkets I've been to make the entrance to the things as tight as possible yet people somehow still manage to fit trolleys through or use it as an entrance. :sludgepal:

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I kind of expect the showroom plus mail order model to make a comeback. Say you want a new laptop but would like to poke a bit at the keyboard or try the hinges before you buy. Would you rather go to some mediocre electronics store with a large selection of borderline-outdated trash from HP and Packard-Bell, or to an Amazon showroom that had one of everything you actually considered (but you'd have to wait for it to be delivered)?

Stores already complain that people only come in to look at the things they plan to buy cheaper online, so it's just taking that to its logical extreme.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

HairyManling posted:

You still need a ... bagger to put all of your stuff in bags. Or bag dispensers spread around the store so you can bag your stuff as you go and then get charged as you pass a sensor while leaving the store.
Why? Stores here already have several self-checkout lines where you scan your own items, bag them, then pay with cash / credit / debit. The discount grocery places don't even have bags or baggers, they just have a stack of boxes and a long table near the doors and you do it yourself.

If the cart automatically scanned everything and all you had to do was pull up to a kiosk, swipe your card, and bag your stuff it would save you time over the current self-checkout and it would let the store replace 20 cashiers and 20 baggers with like 3-5 people who respond to issues with the payment system or whatever.

HairyManling posted:

It sounds like one of those 'solutions to a problem that doesn't really exist' things. Sure sometimes you get behind the old lady that still uses checks and takes ten minutes to fill one out, but is waiting two minutes while a checker scans all your items and bags them really a major inconvenience in your life?
It is not a major inconvenience. It is a lot of overhead for the store and it is a position that is no longer necessary. The local Wal-mart has about 8 self-checkout kiosks and like 20 regular registers. If you go in at like 6 in the morning there will be one lane open with a cashier, and one other person maintaining all of the self-checkout, which includes checking ID for age-restricted items.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Creature posted:

In Sweden they have supermarkets where you can pick up a handheld scanner at the door. You scan your groceries as you go, then pay at the end. Seemed like a good system, although I didn't get a chance to try as I couldn't read the instructions. So I assume that's how it works.

Got this type of system in some larger supermarkets in Norway, too; we use it regularly. Indeed you scan the groceries and bag them [1] as you go and at all times you can see the list of scanned items and the total so far (and there are obviously buttons to delete items from the list if you scan something wrong or have second thoughts).

In the checkout area there are several self-service payment points, and several old-school manned counters for people who prefer not to use those newfangled scanners. If you run into some kind of difficulty, there's help to be had from the manned counters. Buying age-restricted stuff like alcohol requires an okay signal from the manned counters (whenever I do this they just glance over and hit the okay button since I am very obviously over 18). Occasionally one gets randomly selected for a re-scan but I'll gladly believe whoever said they keep track of your record and adjust the probability based on this because I remember getting randomly rescanned a few times when the system was new but not for a good while now (obviously I had my poo poo in order).

[1] You get as many bags as you think you're going to need by the entrance, or you bring your own reusable bags. The job position of "bagger" never really existed here in any case.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Athenry posted:

Which was a catalog retailer, not unlike Sears (when Sears still did the mail order catalogs), but instead of having retail stores, they operated "Catalog Showrooms."

So instead of going into the store, picking what you wanted, paying and then leaving; the contents of their catalog were on display and you could then place your catalog order in store to be shipped to you. They had some portion of the warehouse on site, because you could also get things that day and they'd come out on this conveyor belt. Even when I was younger it just seemed ludicrous.

Sears had something similar. My very small hometown had a Sears Catalog Store.

There were some appliances on the showroom floor and possible a few other big ticket items on display. I can't remember if Sears would ship to you, but you could order out of the catalog and pick it up there later. That's how I got a Nintendo, except that someone else had ordered one and never came by to pick it up. They had not paid and it was still sitting there and the cashier/customer service person let us purchase the unit.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The self-scan while shopping systems were a bit of a retail fad for a while in the early 2000s but they have largely been abandoned now.

The new hotness is doing the same thing with a smartphone app. This has the double benefit of not requiring the store to buy the scanners and allowing them to get an app with background location tracking onto the customer's phone to data mine the hell out of their every movement all day long.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Shifty Pony posted:

The self-scan while shopping systems were a bit of a retail fad for a while in the early 2000s but they have largely been abandoned now.

The new hotness is doing the same thing with a smartphone app. This has the double benefit of not requiring the store to buy the scanners and allowing them to get an app with background location tracking onto the customer's phone to data mine the hell out of their every movement all day long.

They're actually taking off in UK supermarkets, funnily enough.

Half because their smartphone apps are poo poo as balls, mind you. The fact they seem incredibly resistant to bringing stuff like EMV contactless in doesn't help either.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Shifty Pony posted:

They are a lot more attractive in Europe, or at least in countries where the stores have to pay their cashiers decent wages. It's cheap enough allow them to put up some self checkouts, fire most of the cashiers and still be able to eat the increased shoplifting costs.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Trabant posted:

FIL has old computer mags collecting dust on a shelf, and some of them have better-not-make-a-typo code included in the back for the readers:

I'm sure those lines are meant to make it easier for the neophyte programmer but to me they're having the opposite effect.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Maxwell Lord posted:

I'm sure those lines are meant to make it easier for the neophyte programmer but to me they're having the opposite effect.

The problem is it makes you want to read down the page at the same time so you start reading almost diagonally. If you were typing it out letter by letter youde likely be fine though.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Magnus Praeda posted:

There was also BEST, which worked kinda like that. My uncle worked for them before they went out of business and I loved going through the scratch & dent room. I got a lot of stuff that would fit this thread there, too. Like an electronic organizer (made by Sharp or Casio probably) that I thought was seriously hot poo poo back in the mid 90s (yes, storing all that information in volatile memory was a fantastic idea, really).

BEST had some architecturally ...interesting... showrooms designed by SITE.
BEST Products Company Buildings

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:

IUG posted:

It's in some Stop and Shops in the NE. My store never got it, but they put in scanners so you can do it with your cellphone, rather than one of their handheld devices.

I'm just waiting for the iOS app to add my store to the list, so I can actually try it! :argh:

My Stop and Shop has this, and it's amazing. Especially when big snow storms are coming, as there is a dedicated self-checkout line for when you use the scanners. You just bag and scan as you go.

There are no checks though on what is bought or anything and I wouldn't be surprised if people abused the system.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Zopotantor posted:

BEST had some architecturally ...interesting... showrooms designed by SITE.
BEST Products Company Buildings

That's neat. I can understand why most retailers don't go for "unsettling" in their facade design, but I really like some of those.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Computer viking posted:

I kind of expect the showroom plus mail order model to make a comeback. Say you want a new laptop but would like to poke a bit at the keyboard or try the hinges before you buy. Would you rather go to some mediocre electronics store with a large selection of borderline-outdated trash from HP and Packard-Bell, or to an Amazon showroom that had one of everything you actually considered (but you'd have to wait for it to be delivered)?

Stores already complain that people only come in to look at the things they plan to buy cheaper online, so it's just taking that to its logical extreme.

That would be pretty nice, but having a larger "on-demand" inventory in store would be the next step for growth there, then you could charge for the ability to get it NOW, then you're basically where you started.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

booshi posted:

My Stop and Shop has this, and it's amazing. Especially when big snow storms are coming, as there is a dedicated self-checkout line for when you use the scanners. You just bag and scan as you go.

There are no checks though on what is bought or anything and I wouldn't be surprised if people abused the system.

I think for higher priced items, like meats and cheeses, they use those RFIDs integrated into the price labels. The system can do a quick reconcile and if you have an item with an RFID tag that doesn't match what you scanned, it triggers an alert. Below a certain dollar threshold, I assume they just eat the costs as shrinkage since it's probably not cost effective to use those paper RFIDs.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Computer viking posted:

I'm sort of surprised Amazon hasn't started some Amazon-branded Stores that sort of specialize in being pick-up centers in place of some of the Prime shipping options with some kiosks for ordering, acting as return and shipping centers for customers/sellers, etc. You probably wouldn't need a large storefront, but just a large enough storeroom so the location could have additional services of being miniwarehouses for items the most popular/in demand items. Potentially, Amazon could have enough info on the regional market demand to keep top 100 products on hand to allow you order and pick up within minutes locally.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Maxwell Lord posted:

I could almost see it being helpful, though, if you were getting errors or wanted to visually double check code to hold a page up next to the screen and make sure every line of code at least ended where it should be in case you missed something, but each row seems to have only 39 columns. Does that match up with any older text mode standards?

edit: I guess 40 lines if you include the space before the number lines, which I'm pretty sure was a standard.)

JediTalentAgent has a new favorite as of 02:09 on Dec 6, 2015

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

JediTalentAgent posted:

I'm sort of surprised Amazon hasn't started some Amazon-branded Stores that sort of specialize in being pick-up centers in place of some of the Prime shipping options with some kiosks for ordering, acting as return and shipping centers for customers/sellers, etc. You probably wouldn't need a large storefront, but just a large enough storeroom so the location could have additional services of being miniwarehouses for items the most popular/in demand items. Potentially, Amazon could have enough info on the regional market demand to keep top 100 products on hand to allow you order and pick up within minutes locally.

Amazon Lockers exist

quote:

Amazon Locker provides you with a self-service delivery location to pick up and return your Amazon.com packages. Lockers are currently available in a variety of locations throughout the U.S.

Instead of delivering a package to your home or business address, you can select an Amazon Locker location and pick up your package at a time that's convenient for you. Once your package is delivered to the Amazon Locker, you'll receive an e-mail notification with a unique pickup code that includes the address and opening times for your selected Locker location.

When you arrive to collect your package, enter your pickup code or scan the barcode using the barcode scanner and follow the instructions on the screen.
Amazon also has same-day or even one hour delivery in select areas.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Amazon does have mall kiosks where you can check out their devices:

They seem to be toying with different models (CNN autoplay video warning).

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Has there been any mention in the thread about the time before the modern stapler?

Large staplers date back to the 1860s or so but for the most part they were heavy duty affairs made primarily for forming boxes or bookbinding. Using one on a few pages was a real waste of a time and a (rather pricey for what it was) staple. So in the early 1900s there emerged a flurry of devices which quickly mechanically joined small quantities of paper without a staple.

The Bump paper fastener was one of the first:

The mechanism is rather ingenious (click for giant):

Basically a first blade 11 would come down and cut a u-shaped flap in the papers. After that has stopped moving a second "needle" blade 14 would punch a slit in the paper near the base of the flap. As the plunger continued to go down spring 13 would slide off of support 16' and tuck the paper flap into a hole on the needle. Then when you released the plunger the spring would pull the blades up and as the needle returns to the original position it would pull the flap through the slit, forming a stitch to hold the paper in place.

Here's the result of a similar mechanism from the top:

and from the bottom:

A whole bunch of similar designs were made, all modified slightly to avoid each others' patents. The Office museum has a good list of a few of them but one design was kind of interesting because it used a completely different mechanism.

Behold the paper welder!

While the Bump Paper Fastener did that strange slit cutting the paper welder simply crimped the hell out of the paper using a pair of interlocking die and a beefy lever system to move them. My grandfather had one (and now my mother has it) and it is a shockingly strong bond. While you can rub it hard to flatten out the crimp and release it that way if you just pull the papers apart they most likely will rip. The resulting crimp looked like this:

They were actually relatively popular in the 60s, but it was downhill ever since then. The modern stapler became the go-to choice for permanent paper joining as the staples were cheap enough that the promised cost savings of a staple-less system weren't really worth the increased up-front cost due to the mechanisms involved.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Which reminds me of a non-obsolete and commercially very successful technology that is, alas, completely wrong for the job: the paper clip. The reason they're banned at my workplace is that while they do a reasonably good job of keeping together sheets of paper, they also do an exceedingly good job at catching on completely unrelated single sheets in the same slot/tray/stack and incorporating them into the fold so to speak.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

WebDog posted:

The ones I've seen have teeth marks in them from being a perfect puppy chew toy. You kinda hope that Panasonic would bring back stuff like this as an ipod speaker or something.
Okay but what is that thing?

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Zereth posted:

I think it's an AM Radio.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Zereth posted:

It was mentioned earlier, but it's the Panasonic R720 "Toot-A-Loop" portable AM radio.
The idea was that it could be worn on your wrist (this thing isn't that small or light) or you could close it around something like a rail or a bike handlebar. It could also be swung open and free-standing. The dial is for tuning in a station.

These were made around 1966 to 1970 during the age of portable electronics where things were beginning to get miniaturised and cheap. Companies began producing "space-age" or mod inspired radios aimed towards the teen market so many of these things look really pretty and groovy but didn't have much lasting power as they tended to use pretty low-cut quality on their innards.

Another Panasonic radio of the same line.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Computer viking posted:

I'd love to have this for clothing. I'm a short and thin guy in a land or rotund giants, so finding my size is nigh impossible. On the other hand, buying clothes online, without a visit to the fitting room first, is a complete gamble.

Also, why the gently caress does every country still have their own shoe size standard when the ISO 9407:1991, "Shoe sizes—Mondopoint system of sizing and marking" standard exists?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

I'd love to have this for clothing. I'm a short and thin guy in a land or rotund giants, so finding my size is nigh impossible. On the other hand, buying clothes online, without a visit to the fitting room first, is a complete gamble.

Also, why the gently caress does every country still have their own shoe size standard when the ISO 9407:1991, "Shoe sizes—Mondopoint system of sizing and marking" standard exists?

Because we know what number from what brand fits us and we can't trust Al Bundy to convert it if it changes. And don't a lot of sneaker tongue tags still have the sizing classification under 5 or 6 differing standards listed, and we just ignore the one that doesn't correspond to our prior knowledge or market? And what framework exists for the shoe companies to communicate the new standards to the public?

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Shifty Pony posted:

Has there been any mention in the thread about the time before the modern stapler?

Large staplers date back to the 1860s or so but for the most part they were heavy duty affairs made primarily for forming boxes or bookbinding. Using one on a few pages was a real waste of a time and a (rather pricey for what it was) staple. So in the early 1900s there emerged a flurry of devices which quickly mechanically joined small quantities of paper without a staple.

The Bump paper fastener was one of the first:

The mechanism is rather ingenious (click for giant):

Basically a first blade 11 would come down and cut a u-shaped flap in the papers. After that has stopped moving a second "needle" blade 14 would punch a slit in the paper near the base of the flap. As the plunger continued to go down spring 13 would slide off of support 16' and tuck the paper flap into a hole on the needle. Then when you released the plunger the spring would pull the blades up and as the needle returns to the original position it would pull the flap through the slit, forming a stitch to hold the paper in place.

Here's the result of a similar mechanism from the top:

and from the bottom:

A whole bunch of similar designs were made, all modified slightly to avoid each others' patents. The Office museum has a good list of a few of them but one design was kind of interesting because it used a completely different mechanism.

Behold the paper welder!

While the Bump Paper Fastener did that strange slit cutting the paper welder simply crimped the hell out of the paper using a pair of interlocking die and a beefy lever system to move them. My grandfather had one (and now my mother has it) and it is a shockingly strong bond. While you can rub it hard to flatten out the crimp and release it that way if you just pull the papers apart they most likely will rip. The resulting crimp looked like this:

They were actually relatively popular in the 60s, but it was downhill ever since then. The modern stapler became the go-to choice for permanent paper joining as the staples were cheap enough that the promised cost savings of a staple-less system weren't really worth the increased up-front cost due to the mechanisms involved.

This is an awesome post btw. Just wondering how many sheets of paper was the effective maximum for these kinds of devices? Staplers can pretty much handle dozens of sheets deepening on their size.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Nutsngum posted:

This is an awesome post btw. Just wondering how many sheets of paper was the effective maximum for these kinds of devices? Staplers can pretty much handle dozens of sheets deepening on their size.

A 1963 advertisement stated: "The welder will fasten together up to six sheets and requires no refills."

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

booshi posted:

Unless they turned the system off in the last six months, there is an audit system in place.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Nutsngum posted:

I have one of the punch & tuck sort. It handle four pages comfortably.

For some reason they remain popular in Japan.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Wasabi the J posted:

A 1963 advertisement stated: "The welder will fasten together up to six sheets and requires no refills."

It can handle six sheets of notebook paper with ease but more than five sheets of modern 20lb copy paper gives it trouble. I bet it could do ten sheets of that tissue thin stuff some banks used to use for carbon copies. Glorified tracing paper really.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Which reminds me of a non-obsolete and commercially very successful technology that is, alas, completely wrong for the job: the paper clip. The reason they're banned at my workplace is that while they do a reasonably good job of keeping together sheets of paper, they also do an exceedingly good job at catching on completely unrelated single sheets in the same slot/tray/stack and incorporating them into the fold so to speak.

That was actually one of the selling points of staple-less systems: there wasn't anything to snag when filing.

I see a lot of old tech in my job (Patent Examiner). Also fads which come and go or inventions which were before their time. Funny to see a selfie stick in pretty much its modern form in a 1980s patent.

Shifty Pony has a new favorite as of 19:29 on Dec 6, 2015

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Shifty Pony posted:

It can handle six sheets of notebook paper with ease but more than five sheets of modern 20lb copy paper gives it trouble. I bet it could do ten sheets of that tissue thin stuff some banks used to use for carbon copies. Glorified tracing paper really.

That was actually one of the selling points of staple-less systems: there wasn't anything to snag when filing.

I see a lot of old tech in my job (Patent Examiner). Also fads which come and go or inventions which were before their time. Funny to see a selfie stick in pretty much its modern form in a 1980s patent.

I would really dig a non-staple stapler that wasn't a total piece of poo poo, and most of the stuff we staple is only a few pages thick.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I saw some company produced a staple-less stapler thing a few years ago in the US, but I'm not sure how good it was. I saw it in a store's office supply aisle once or twice, maybe even the kids' art supplies aisle, but never again. With the current recycle/confidential waste era, it seems like a stapler that you could hype up with not even being required to remove staples before tossing in the processing bin might have caught on a bit with smaller documents in various business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
I use this stapler at work and it's worked out pretty good so far.