Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

DocCynical posted:

http://makitatools.com/en-us/Modules/Tools/ToolDetails.aspx?Name=LXDG01
This thing is boss for cleaning up strut with a burr. And making holes slightly larger because the piece of poo poo work hole saw wandered 1/8" off.

OSU_Matthew posted:

I actually really like the lithium ion cordless dremel I bought six-seven years ago. Never had a problem with the battery or the unit itself, though it's admittedly only seen light to medium duty work. I see they don't sell that particular model anymore, so I guess it's largely a moot point anyways.

If I were to buy it over again, I'd definitely get the makita die grinder linked earlier since I'm so heavily invested in their ecosystem, and have yet to be disappointed in anything in the cordless line. Heck, most of their cordless is better than my older corded stuff.

Yeah, I'm in Club Makita too - that grinder looks nice but is out of my budget since this is the only time I can see myself using it, unless it has a gentle enough setting for cutting dogs nails like the Dremel. Maybe I'll pick up a cheap corded on Amazon or at HF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Preoptopus posted:

Fact that cart is decent especially considering the price but I wish you woulda consulted us on the sockets so I could've told you to get Grey Pneumatic. Hf impact sockets are straight up dangerous. Look at yourr 21 mm half inch deep as an example. One side will be thicker than the other.

SouthsideSaint posted:

The non pro deep well impacts are garbage. The short pro ones are grey pneumatic level of good. They are also the same impact socket orielly sells. I've had multiple sockets explode. But only the deepwell non pro kind.

Yeah, they're all the pro version. I've exploded a few of the non-pro's at work with my 2135 IR.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Hypnolobster posted:

Yeah, they're all the pro version. I've exploded a few of the non-pro's at work with my 2135 IR.

Does HF carry a pro version of the deepwell now? It's been been a while since I've looked at sockets but thanks to hungry engine bays my 1/2 and 3/8 look very mix matched. Definitely thinking of doing grey pneumatic for both but if HF HAS a pro set of deepwell 1/2 I might change my mind. And truthfully the 3/8 impact set from there has never broken on me. They just fall and never hit the floor.:smithicide:

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

Do they literally explode in the sense of shrapnel flying everywhere? :stare: I've only seen sockets crack, and they weren't impact rated.

Personally I like Tekton or Craftsman Professional/Armstrong, the former is cheap but quality and the latter are some of the beefiest sockets I've seen, like twice the weight of other similar sized sockets.

Xy Hapu fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Dec 5, 2015

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Xy Hapu posted:

Do they literally explode in the sense of shrapnel flying everywhere? :stare: I've only seen sockets crack, and they weren't impact rated.

Personally I like Tekton or Craftsman Professional/Armstrong, the former is cheap but quality and the latter are some of the beefiest sockets I've seen, like twice the weight of other similar sized sockets.

Yeah I once broke my socket busting a Honda crankbolt loose. It SHATTERED EVERYWHERE. As in I found a piece stuck in the splashguard plastic. the other time I only snapped the edge off and it landed in the magnet tray in my toolbox over my shoulder. Just recently my 24mm that I had used for three years shattered into large pieces.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

SouthsideSaint posted:

Does HF carry a pro version of the deepwell now? It's been been a while since I've looked at sockets but thanks to hungry engine bays my 1/2 and 3/8 look very mix matched. Definitely thinking of doing grey pneumatic for both but if HF HAS a pro set of deepwell 1/2 I might change my mind. And truthfully the 3/8 impact set from there has never broken on me. They just fall and never hit the floor.:smithicide:

Yep!
http://www.harborfreight.com/10-pc-12-in-drive-metric-impact-deep-wall-socket-set-67915.html
http://www.harborfreight.com/10-pc-12-in-drive-sae-impact-deep-wall-socket-set-69263.html

Xy Hapu posted:

Yeah. It's a spectrum of cracked/chipped to shattered into lots of little pieces at high velocity.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Does this shattering HF socket issue apply to older ones too? I have a deep well set from circa-2010 (came in an injection molded plastic case) and they're still going strong...am I sitting on a ticking time bomb or did they cheap out on them recently?

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

No telling, all HF manufacturing gets passed around to whichever factory is cheapest. Wear goggles.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

wallaka posted:

No telling, all HF manufacturing gets passed around to whichever factory is cheapest. Wear goggles.

Bingo--read Poorly Made In China. Finding new and exciting ways to cheap out half a cent per unit and pass it off to the unsuspecting rube importing that crap isn't just a game, it's a god damned cultural institution over there.

Even if it means substituting tool steel for welded together mild steel scraps to save three hundred bucks on a fifty thousand dollar order of a customer they've been supplying for years, it's not a question of if but when. Importers themselves have zero clue what's going on, and even the most reputable seeming factories do it.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Since I just got a toolbox to clean up my random tools in the garage, I realized I need a real ratchet set. Sears has this on sale this week for half off:

http://www.sears.com/230-piece-silver-finish-standard-and-metric-mechanic-s-tool/p-00950230000P?QParsing=1&s_tnt=62651:1:0

It looks like it has almost everything I need for the ratchets, but I don't need the screwdriver heads really. Anyone have any input on the Craftsman sets? This seems like a pretty good deal

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
I have pretty much a 15 year old version of that. The ratchets are ok but not great. Extensions will need to add a longer one and a swivel or swivel ratchet. Sockets are fine though. A stubby ratchet is nice to have too.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Petite Dinklage posted:

Since I just got a toolbox to clean up my random tools in the garage, I realized I need a real ratchet set. Sears has this on sale this week for half off:

http://www.sears.com/230-piece-silver-finish-standard-and-metric-mechanic-s-tool/p-00950230000P?QParsing=1&s_tnt=62651:1:0

It looks like it has almost everything I need for the ratchets, but I don't need the screwdriver heads really. Anyone have any input on the Craftsman sets? This seems like a pretty good deal

You would probably be better off spending about $200 to get a good 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" ratchet and a set of good SAE/Metric sockets, deep well sockets, and extensions for them. Plus a set of socket rails for each. Being able to just grab a rail or two and bring it with you to your work is extremely useful.

That set is the cheapest stuff Sears sells and while it works it's not very fun to use and cheaper sockets tend to want to round off bolts especially if you live in the rust belt. That set is good for a once in a while project but if it's seeing regular use you're better off getting something higher quality.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Dec 6, 2015

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If you want a single box set for $100, go to Costco and get a set of their Crescent tools. Put them in a real toolchest eventually because the plastic case sucks.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Extra posted:

You would probably be better off spending about $200 to get a good 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" ratchet and a set of good SAE/Metric sockets, deep well sockets, and extensions for them. Plus a set of socket rails for each. Being able to just grab a rail or two and bring it with you to your work is extremely useful.

That set is the cheapest stuff Sears sells and while it works it's not very fun to use and cheaper sockets tend to want to round off bolts especially if you live in the rust belt. That set is good for a once in a while project but if it's seeing regular use you're better off getting something higher quality.

Do you have any suggestions off the top of your head? I don't know if I need Snap On quality, but something one step lower than that is what I am shooting for.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Gear Wrench has tools that fit into that mid range, in general the stuff made in Taiwan is better quality. The higher quality HF stuff can be decent too.

Bulk Vanderhuge fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Dec 6, 2015

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Petite Dinklage posted:

Do you have any suggestions off the top of your head? I don't know if I need Snap On quality, but something one step lower than that is what I am shooting for.

These are just some of my picks from my limited experience. There are posters on this board with far more automotive knowledge than I will ever have so they would be able to provide better suggestions than I can.

Ratchets
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-1-4-in-dr-universal-ratchet/p-00933068000P
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-3-8-inch-drive-universal-ratchet/p-00924967000P
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-19pc-universal-sws-set-1-2-inch-drive/p-00903770000P

Unfortunately they only sell the 1/2" ratchet with some 1/2" sockets. I'm super biased against polished ratchets because I think they tend to slip way too easily especially when fluids are involved and make it more difficult to apply additional force in confined spaces. The sears "universal" sockets have helped me remove rust pitted fasteners and provide enough grip that I can actually kick or hammer the ratchet to remove a stubborn bolt without rounding it. That said they have thick walls so they're useless for removing super confined fasteners so I can't recommend them. Love the ratchets though.

Sockets
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-176-pc-easy-read-socket-set-6/p-00934032000P (The set you linked has 116 sockets)

Extensions
http://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-1601-8-Inch-Extension-3-Piece/dp/B00943KFTA/
(~$10 for each 3-set, see the boxes for each size)

Rails
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NIAK7M/ (The socket set I linked has 54 1/4", 84 3/8", and 38 1/2" so 3 sets of these rails should do you fine for your "main" set of sockets. You can get some cheapo $1 HF rails for the stuff you're less likely to use or keep it in the box)

I'm biased against cases or chests. I want to be able to grab a few rails and bring them to the work. Plus you can fit a ton of rails in a small portable toolbox and easily access them.

Also think about a set of flare-nut wrenches (crow foot wrenches are also nice) if you're doing automotive work. Especially if you're doing any sort of work on lines.

Okay so maybe more like $300 all in that's still nothing compared to Matco/Snap-On/MAC

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Gear Wrench has tools that fit into that mid range, in general the stuff made in Taiwan is better quality. The higher quality HF stuff can be decent too.

Their socket rails are rather affordable if you buy them in sets and are quite good. I throw them around all over the place and haven't had them break or lose a socket. Work great for crow-foot wrenches as well if you alternate sides.

+1 for anything Gear Wrench. The mechanic at work buys mainly Snap-On/Matco stuff but fills out his collection with Gear Wrench. All of his GW stuff is USA made though.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Dec 6, 2015

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

I'm pretty sure my Gear Wrench combo wrench sets were made in China. The chrome finish on them is pretty lovely.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

IOwnCalculus posted:

If you want a single box set for $100, go to Costco and get a set of their Crescent tools. Put them in a real toolchest eventually because the plastic case sucks.

I was just about to suggest this. $20 off right now, too.

Long Costco link that looks better this way.

Petite Dinklage posted:

I just bought this Gearwrench set: pretty nice set with a long handle and stubby 3/8 and it comes with the 1/4 set, both are at least 72 teeth and I think the 1/4 are even 120s. I've really enjoyed the set so far on the cars and motorcycles. Feel solid and I like the GW ratchets way more than the lovely matco 3/8 ratchets I was given by the school tool room guy.

For a little more you could get a much nicer case if you don't have a box to put them in. I don't know if they are that comparable, though. Search around on Amazon for the gearwrench sets, there are a few.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Petite Dinklage posted:

Just buy a BluePoint or SilverEagle set. There pro qualityish at a large discount.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Dec 6, 2015

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Preoptopus posted:

Just buy a BluePoint or SilverEagle set. There pro qualityish at a large discount.

Silver eagle is over priced poo poo. Blue point is hands down better in every way. Truthfully gear wrench or grey pneumatic are a great deal for sockets.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

SouthsideSaint posted:

Silver eagle is over priced poo poo.

True for the most part as all Matco products are.

Fact

SouthsideSaint posted:

Gear wrench or grey pneumatic are a great deal for sockets.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Preoptopus posted:

True for the most part as all Matco products are.

I've sadly found this out as well. Like my matco impact driver that won't even drive out set screws and bends and break tips. Then I pull out my HF and go to town

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Apart from cost has anyone got anything bad to say about wera? I'm thinking of changing out a few of my knackered or most used tools for nice new versions

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The rubber they use for grips tends to break down over a period of years, but I think they changed the rubber formulation to avoid it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzObaO5WF_I

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Dec 6, 2015

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Cakefool posted:

Apart from cost has anyone got anything bad to say about wera? I'm thinking of changing out a few of my knackered or most used tools for nice new versions

I prefer Teng Tools if you can find a dealer.

EDIT: huh, they're actually much more available online since last I looked a few years ago. I think my local trade dealer was one of the earliest British agents.

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Dec 6, 2015

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

ReelBigLizard posted:

I prefer Teng Tools if you can find a dealer.

EDIT: huh, they're actually much more available online since last I looked a few years ago. I think my local trade dealer was one of the earliest British agents.

Why do you prefer them?

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Everything I've had from them has just been really solid for the price. When I was an apprentice working on our local buses as a nipper I collected a bit of stuff from Snap-On and Britool before I gave it up for IT. The Teng stuff is in the same league quality wise but much better on price. I think Snap-On might have given up locally now, everyone I know still in the trade rates Teng.

I have a pocket set for the bikes that I have beat the poo poo out of for 7 years now including a cam chain swap on the KTM 690.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Cakefool posted:

I like my Wera stuff. KC Tool usually has some pretty decent deals on Wera and other German made tools. Free pickup if you live in KC too!

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

Frank Dillinger posted:

can anyone help me figure out who makes this angled socket? it's fixed at 45 degrees, but does it very well. the guy who showed it to me said this one was some kind of pre-production prototype, and that it was intended for aircraft maintenance work. same guys apparently also designed a 90 degree system as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1koMdJdg60

edit: there are no identifying markings and the part would have been designed/made in north america

Checked a few of these out in a life test at work. Don't remember the brand but I was very unimpressed. They don't do very well with torque at all.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Is there any better ratchets than sk tools? My dad had an old jc penneys one that is probably 30 years old and still the best ratchet i've ever used. Only problem is they are $45 now and i want some.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Christobevii3 posted:

Is there any better ratchets than sk tools? My dad had an old jc penneys one that is probably 30 years old and still the best ratchet i've ever used. Only problem is they are $45 now and i want some.
They're right up there as a favorite of mine with Matco 88, Snapon 80, etc. SK makes good poo poo, though they had some rough times at one point.
The Gearwrench 120 tooth ratchets are also spectacular, but a little more inexpensive.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Dec 7, 2015

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
What gloves does everyone use? I've been using Microflex Midknight black nitrile gloves. They tear way too easily. I go though 3-4 sets during any given day.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

0toShifty posted:

What gloves does everyone use? I've been using Microflex Midknight black nitrile gloves. They tear way too easily. I go though 3-4 sets during any given day.

I guess it depends on what I'm doing. General car work I try to stick with the $20 Costco pack of 400 nitrile gloves but I have some decent leather work gloves for anything more strenuous where feel and dexterity aren't important. I go through the Costco gloves really fast, told, but since they are so cheap I don't mind.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
I tried everything I could get and Diamond Grip white latex (the blue-ish box) is what I stuck with. They don't do well with snagging on sharp corners and UV will make them fragile so don't leave an open box upright on the back seat for days (put it away? Nah just flip it upside down :haw:). I fumble a lot more with thicker ones.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
How do you measure a hook spanner, if you have one unmarked and want to know the size?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The diameter of the curve it fits around would likely be a good start.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

InitialDave posted:

The diameter of the curve it fits around would likely be a good start.

I don't have the thing it fits. The right one is 68-75, left is for some reason unmarked, probably because it was OEM on a specific machine.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
If it fit in the first place, don't you still have a measurable curve?

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Splizwarf posted:

I tried everything I could get and Diamond Grip white latex (the blue-ish box) is what I stuck with. They don't do well with snagging on sharp corners and UV will make them fragile so don't leave an open box upright on the back seat for days (put it away? Nah just flip it upside down :haw:). I fumble a lot more with thicker ones.

I prefer these ten times over the midnight black ones. They hold their shape better and don't tear as easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

0toShifty posted:

I'm going full cancer and on my hands???