Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Munin posted:

Seems to have sold much less than FC; which is not surprising considering you really should finish FC before playing it. The SC launch does seem to have given FC sales another shot in the arm in part due to that.

What buzz I have seen has been good and I have seen more and morre word of mouth mention of it on various sites since SC came around. Man I seriously do hope that with long tail sales etc porting it ends up making them a good chunk of change.

[edit] I also have to admit to being one of the people who raves on about TitS in comment threads...

But to add a touch more detail. The regular "What are you playing this weekend" feature on RPS had one other person playing TitS last week and this week three plus one of the RPS contributors considering it. That's after Kotaku having a article calling Trails the best JRPG of the decade so far recently. So there is definitely some increasing awareness.

I don't think that a thread on a forum is a good gauge for how many people are currently playing a game on Steam, or ownership. That Kotaku article went under a lot of people's radars as well. Steamspy, as inaccurate as it is, shows that Trails SC is the lowest selling Falcom game on Steam to date.

I love this franchise, but it seems highly unlikely that we're going to see more titles in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Slur posted:

I don't think that a thread on a forum is a good gauge for how many people are currently playing a game on Steam, or ownership. That Kotaku article went under a lot of people's radars as well. Steamspy, as inaccurate as it is, shows that Trails SC is the lowest selling Falcom game on Steam to date.

I love this franchise, but it seems highly unlikely that we're going to see more titles in it.

The only depressing thing about the SteamSpy numbers is the relative success of Akiba Strip over more worthwhile games...

SC has been selling pretty steadily and the Ys games have been out for a long time and also heavily discounted on several occasions already. As I said as well earlier the release of SC has also given a bump to FC sales which was well short of 2nd place of the chart previously. As Supremezero has said it's too soon to write off that entire endeavour as a loss at this point as you seem to do.

I obviously don't expect it to match the sales of FC, which is probably part of the reason why they decided to release it at a higher price point, and I would be curious what XSEED's/Falcom's sales targets for both games were at launch and are now.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

speculating about sales numbers is kind of worthless, because we don't know nearly enough about how these games are actually selling and how much they need to sell. especially when you factor in more complicated things like SC coming out giving FC a sales boost.

i'm going to play zero and azure in english and no one is going to stop me!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

speculating about sales numbers is kind of worthless, because we don't know nearly enough about how these games are actually selling and how much they need to sell. especially when you factor in more complicated things like SC coming out giving FC a sales boost.
but if i cant pretend to be a financial expert on the internet, what purpose does life have for me?

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

The question of life is not,
"Are you a catgirl?"
but rather, it is in fact,
"Are you a catgirl yet?"
I want to point out again that SteamSpy numbers are woefully inaccurate in many cases, and this is one case where I would keep buckets of salt handy while interpreting them. Not to mention there's been a surprising amount of Steam->GOG converts for SC, if no one had noticed, and Steam is after all just one front on which the game is being sold. That said, even SteamSpy itself mentions how inaccurate it is below a certain number, and yet people keep treating it like the gospel it absolutely isn't. As a rule of thumb, SteamSpy should only be trusted with any game to any real extent if/when it displays at least 30K owners, but more realistically it only shows any real sense of accuracy/scale once it displays over 100K owners for a game. For some games these milestones are never reached for some reason even if they sell beyond that point. I'm not sure why, considering the way it gathers its data.

Saralene fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Dec 6, 2015

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Endorph posted:

but if i cant pretend to be a financial expert on the internet, what purpose does life have for me?

dream big, friend

there are all sorts of experts you can pretend to be on the internet

the possibilities are limitless

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Saralene posted:

For some games these milestones are never reached for some reason even if they sell beyond that point. I'm not sure why, considering the way it gathers its data.

SteamSpy can only extrapolate from visible profiles, so if the game is more/less popular among users who hide their profiles, the stats are wrong?

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Saralene posted:

I want to point out again that SteamSpy numbers are woefully inaccurate in many cases, and this is one case where I would keep buckets of salt handy while interpreting them. Not to mention there's been a surprising amount of Steam->GOG converts for SC, if no one had noticed, and Steam is after all just one front on which the game is being sold. That said, even SteamSpy itself mentions how inaccurate it is below a certain number, and yet people keep treating it like the gospel it absolutely isn't. As a rule of thumb, SteamSpy should only be trusted with any game to any real extent if/when it displays at least 30K owners, but more realistically it only shows any real sense of accuracy/scale once it displays over 100K owners for a game. For some games these milestones are never reached for some reason even if they sell beyond that point. I'm not sure why, considering the way it gathers its data.

None of us are saying that SteamSpy is an accurate way of converting over the sales of a product on Steam or not here, nor are any of us pretending to be financial experts due to it. However, as you implied there, the game has sold less than 100k copies. That's kind of unfortunate considering the 2-3 year localization cycle this was in, don't you think? And didn't FC sell 100k in 2 weeks?

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Slur posted:

None of us are saying that SteamSpy is an accurate way of converting over the sales of a product on Steam or not here, nor are any of us pretending to be financial experts due to it. However, as you implied there, the game has sold less than 100k copies. That's kind of unfortunate considering the 2-3 year localization cycle this was in, don't you think? And didn't FC sell 100k in 2 weeks?

Heh, the article that mentioned FC sold 100K since its release was actually from March this year, 8 months after the game hit Steam/GOG. I think some number-double-checking is in order before jumping to conclusions about the game's failure and demise of the series.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I don't know why you'r immediately jumping to believing we'll never get another entry in this series and that the game has sold terribly, when I don't think anyone outside of Xseed actually has any idea what's going to constitute good or bad sales for SC yet.

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004
Just finished SC.

I LOVED it !

I consider FC to be an average game at best, but SC more than makes up for it. I'm going to bug everyone I know to get them to try it. The dialogue was great all-around, fantastic localization. It's even made me like characters I wasn't fond of in the first game.

One thing that did annoy me was the final boss having 3 forms. None of them are especially dangerous and it's not like you can't beat him if you got past Loewe anyway, so it was just a waste of time. Watching the rear end in a top hat die was satisfying though.

I guess it's time to start praying to Aidios for the third game now.

Also, I encountered a somewhat annoying bug in chapter 9 where it was impossible to navigate the menus with a gamepad, had to use the mouse to click the various choices. Just pointing that out to help anyone who may run into this issue.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Death Priest posted:

I guess it's time to start praying to Aidios for the third game now.

If you'd like your prayer to have the highest chance of being answered, pray with your dollars and buy Trails of Cold Steel in a couple of weeks.

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004

Some Numbers posted:

If you'd like your prayer to have the highest chance of being answered, pray with your dollars and buy Trails of Cold Steel in a couple of weeks.

You say that like I had the choice not to buy it in the first place.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Death Priest posted:

One thing that did annoy me was the final boss having 3 forms. None of them are especially dangerous and it's not like you can't beat him if you got past Loewe anyway, so it was just a waste of time. Watching the rear end in a top hat die was satisfying though.

It's worth noting that Loewe was apparently way easier in the original release of the game. Apparently they patched him to make him the evil incarnate we all know and love?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Supremezero posted:

It's worth noting that Loewe was apparently way easier in the original release of the game. Apparently they patched him to make him the evil incarnate we all know and love?

To clarify, you're saying that the fight was easier in the Japanese release and XSeed patched him?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Some Numbers posted:

To clarify, you're saying that the fight was easier in the Japanese release and XSeed patched him?

No, apparently the Japanese patched him in the original PC release.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Yeah, when the players of the original Japanese PC release finally fought him after the tricky battle against him on the balcony in FC and several acts of badassitude and hype in SC and realized he was actually kind of easy, they complained and Falcom released a patch that buffed his stats, making him faster, tougher and hit harder. That patch was incorporated into the PSP port and XSeed's version afterwards.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

I'm super bummed I won't be able to use Cheat Engine on ToCS to play battles at 5x speed. I saved 30 hours of my life by doing that with SC (comparing time played in-game vs. time played as reported by Steam).

Still going to buy it, I willingly give my life to Falcom.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I look forward to empty quoting every single one of Slur's posts in a few years when we have all the Trails games in English.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zaggitz posted:

I look forward to empty quoting every single one of Slur's posts in a few years when we have all the Trails games in English.
i mean, with localization of cold steel sc locked down, all we need are ao, zero, and 3rd. heck, ao and zero even have PC versions.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

oh wait, we'll never get dragon slayer 2, gg.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!

Death Priest posted:

Also, I encountered a somewhat annoying bug in chapter 9 where it was impossible to navigate the menus with a gamepad, had to use the mouse to click the various choices. Just pointing that out to help anyone who may run into this issue.

Yeah I remember that place. Luckily it was just that one part, but you do need a mouse for it.

hamburgers in pockets
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, that's blood. It'll get better before the show.
Similarly, when I was on the (ch6/9 spoilers) Glorious my controls would always freeze up when I got too close to the red electric gates. Thankfully that's also when I realized SC was really, really generous with autosaving.

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

The question of life is not,
"Are you a catgirl?"
but rather, it is in fact,
"Are you a catgirl yet?"

Slur posted:

Not what I am implying. Merely stating that SteamSpy itself hasn't gotten that data, regardless of how much or little the game has actually sold. I can't divulge numbers, so even if it had or has sold more than 100k, I wouldn't be able to actually say it, mind you.

I even outright said that sometimes SteamSpy doesn't end up getting those numbers regardless of the actual sales.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
So I've noticed I own pretty much all the Ys games that are on Steam. Is there a reason why I should start with Oath or Origins rather than I and II? Is there a story order to these?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Broose posted:

So I've noticed I own pretty much all the Ys games that are on Steam. Is there a reason why I should start with Oath or Origins rather than I and II? Is there a story order to these?

Ys and Oath have more modern gameplay where you'll be hacking, dashing, and jumping, while I&II retains the "bump" system.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

ys origins is a prequel to I/II but made later. some people are adamant you should play I/II first but i think the references work fine either way. the technical story order is Origins > I/II > Oath but Oath really doesn't have much to do with the other two

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
All right then, I'll play them in that order then. Where does Ark fall?

Also, is there anything I should know before I play?

Motto posted:

Ys and Oath have more modern gameplay where you'll be hacking, dashing, and jumping, while I&II retains the "bump" system.

Yeah, I've known the first ones are super old and use the bump combat, but I am more concerned about the story.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

ark is Ys VI, meaning it takes place after Oath, as well as Ys IV (Memories of Celceta) and Ys V.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Barely anything of worth happens in Ys5 though other than the introduction of Terra.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Being a bad game happened in Ys V

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

Sakurazuka posted:

Being a bad game happened in Ys V

Is there a wikipedia-length summary (like a couple of paragraphs, if that) of what happened in Ys V? Ernst in Ark mentions Xandria when he meets Adol, was what went on in Xandria related to the Eldeen too, or was it unrelated like Ys Seven is?

Honestly toddy did a pretty good LP of 1&2, you could just watch that and skip those games if you don't like the bump combat instead of the action hack and slash. Just be aware that even though Ark is 'later' in the series than Oath and Origin, it was the precursor engine for both of those games and it has some flaws they fixed in the latter games. If you like continuity and call forward/backs though, save Ark for last.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I've played Ys V and I'm pretty sure Zaggitz is right; the only thing of note to happen in that game is the introduction of Terra. It's otherwise skippable.

Ys I & II are still perfectly fun games (especially II) and I would say give them a shot at least before skipping them outright.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Falcom claimed they remade Ys III because it was the "black sheep of the franchise". This was in 2004. Ys V apparently doesn't exist.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

The only thing of worth other than Terra that I can think of in V is that Xandria is the birth place of Alchemy, which is what the Darklings used to create their familiars.

A pretty sizeable patch went up for Oath on steam earlier today, anyone know what for?

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

Zaggitz posted:

The only thing of worth other than Terra that I can think of in V is that Xandria is the birth place of Alchemy, which is what the Darklings used to create their familiars.

A pretty sizeable patch went up for Oath on steam earlier today, anyone know what for?

How does that explain Nina then...I'd have thought she'd have been made when Ernst and/or Geis and/or Freida made Jue, Sera, and Xisa ....

Then again, Celceta has a ton of things out of place story wise...

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Just finished SC. Man, what a satisfying set of games. I just hope Cold Steel gets a PC port/3rd chapter gets a port at all

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Red Red Blue posted:

Just finished SC. Man, what a satisfying set of games. I just hope Cold Steel gets a PC port/3rd chapter gets a port at all

Vita TVs are $40.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

And then I have to buy that ridiculously priced memory, and then a controller, and then the game. Maybe if that wasn't the only thing I'd likely end up using it for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

That's why I'm just going to buy a PS3. They're not particularly expensive anymore.