Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
What was the update about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Update seems to have promoted the beta update to a main update. Files are identical to the last beta update.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The beta is just bug fixes, right? Not any balance changes? I might try another character if they release a major balance patch, just to see what it's like and maybe run a different combat style.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Does anyone know of a bug (post main-story completion possibly) where your companions will just start wandering west every time you ask them to come with you?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Beta update changelog is here: http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1559898-steam-beta-update-1233-1237/

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Looks like it's just bug fixes, then.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

khy posted:

Trying to pick a companion to stick with in the game. Having difficulty. Piper is fun and cheerful and always offering to carry poo poo for me but is irritating me more and more as I play. Mostly because she's always bugging me about the salvage I grab. "Wow. What's that for?" etc.

Every companion does this

mackintosh posted:

So, trotting along, scratching the surface of Act 2 and this tapestry of poo poo just keeps on unraveling. BOS are literal Nazis, stripped of any moral ambiguity as to their intentions, the Railroad are about as competent and delusional as the French Resistance and the Minutemen have about as much influence as the Home Army.

I think the commonwealth is better off with the factions at war than with any of them succeding

Azhais fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Dec 7, 2015

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

RBA Starblade posted:

It comes from that questline too I think. It's mentioned in one of the terminals or tapes there.

I love how my settlers don't care about all the corpses in their new homes.

Still waiting for the mod that lets you scrap corpses in the workshop for bone and leather.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Entropic posted:

Still waiting for the mod that lets you scrap corpses in the workshop for bone and leather.

Strong LOVED that.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
What do super mutants do with those bags if miscellaneous gristle anyways? It's one of of the few things where I'm glad the game's graphics aren't better.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Entropic posted:

What do super mutants do with those bags if miscellaneous gristle anyways? It's one of of the few things where I'm glad the game's graphics aren't better.

Those are their snack bowls, duh

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Entropic posted:

Post-apocalypse bubble-wrap.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Entropic posted:

Food. Everyone and everything that wasn't fast enough to get away, goes in the belly.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Zephyrine posted:

Food. Everyone and everything that wasn't fast enough to get away, goes in the belly.

Yeah, super mutants around here are stupid, convinced of their own superiority, and savage, so they can and do eat whatever they kill. Humans especially.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Favorite thing today: Raider screaming "No, don't you die on me!" at his buddy, whose head I just rendered into thirty-seven separate pieces with the Deliverer.

Least favorite thing today: God drat it, my settlers loving love tatos. Every time I go to expand a settlement's agriculture, I've got 90+ mutfruit, corn, melon, gourd, etc in the collective bin to plant but never any goddamn tatos. I always have to run to Abernathy Farm and steal some of their crops.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I'm disappointed that when you finish the Confidence Man quest, Travis's new on-air personality is way less fun to listen to and it feels like there's fewer lines recorded for it.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

kazmeyer posted:

Favorite thing today: Raider screaming "No, don't you die on me!" at his buddy, whose head I just rendered into thirty-seven separate pieces with the Deliverer.

Least favorite thing today: God drat it, my settlers loving love tatos. Every time I go to expand a settlement's agriculture, I've got 90+ mutfruit, corn, melon, gourd, etc in the collective bin to plant but never any goddamn tatos. I always have to run to Abernathy Farm and steal some of their crops.

I have the exact opposite problem, zero tatos but seemingly endless mutfruit. Its like the only thing they farm.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

mackintosh posted:

the Railroad are about as competent and delusional as the French Resistance

Eh? The actual French Resistance were actually both pretty competent and fully aware of what they were up against?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It's funny, on the one hand the Institute storyline makes you root for humanity.

Then settlements make a great case for people who don't eat, sleep, complain, or need shelter.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

feedmegin posted:

Eh? The actual French Resistance were actually both pretty competent and fully aware of what they were up against?
Depends whether he means colonial era or WWII era.

Because if he meant WWII era, then that's pretty :hurr:

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
i still haven't played yet but I can't imagine doing anything other than root for Institute. Slavery is bad, but so is living in dying slums with no technological advancement after 200 years. The Institute are even more advanced than pre-war society, they're just living underground for some dumb reason - even if they're literally wasteland hitler in this game I have no idea how you could justify anything else

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

dog kisser posted:

i still haven't played yet but I can't imagine doing anything other than root for Institute. Slavery is bad, but so is living in dying slums with no technological advancement after 200 years. The Institute are even more advanced than pre-war society, they're just living underground for some dumb reason - even if they're literally wasteland hitler in this game I have no idea how you could justify anything else
Excuse me, the only noble faction are the crewmen of the USS Constitution

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Started a Rifleman run, killed my first legendary.

Dogmeat knows whats up. :getin:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I just got to the USS Constitution last night and it's giving me flashbacks to Fallout 2 where there was a bunch of wacky poo poo they just re-used existing game models as a named NPC, like the talking venus fly trap.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

dog kisser posted:

Randomly murdering people and constantly breaking apart anything that arises in the Commonwealth for reasons means they're bad dumb buttholes and you should blow them up. Also they should have figured out what the "Super Mutant and kittens" experiment's outcome was going to be without trying it.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

RBA Starblade posted:

Randomly murdering people and constantly breaking apart anything that arises in the Commonwealth for reasons means they're bad dumb buttholes and you should blow them up. Also they should have figured out what the "Super Mutant and kittens" experiment's outcome was going to be without trying it.
But there are none. At least Caesar explained himself before you decorated his face with an anti-materiel rifle

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Dec 7, 2015

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
Not sure I found an easter egg here because the references are combined, but here goes. Possible Forrest Gump and Pulp Fiction easter egg in National Guard Training Yard building.

In a 2nd floor back office of some ranking official, behind the desk is a wheelchair (Lieutenant Dan). Underneath the desk where the feet would be is a golden watch (Pulp Fiction).

I know. Earth-shattering stuff and probably a stretch but the placement of each was interesting enough to stand out for me.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

dog kisser posted:

The Commonwealth cities/settlements tried to unite and form an organized government once but the Institute went in and killed all the representatives.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Entropic posted:

I'm disappointed that when you finish the Confidence Man quest, Travis's new on-air personality is way less fun to listen to and it feels like there's fewer lines recorded for it.

I felt this way too, but still think Travis and that quest are one of the highlights of the game for me (so far). I didn't know whether he was flagged as essential when I did his quest so I was really worried he would die! I really like what the voice actor did with poor scared Travis. :)

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

dog kisser posted:

The institute has zero interest in helping the people not underground. The commonwealth is just one giant test lab. They're worse than Vault-Tek. Hell, they're worse than the Brotherhood which is the actual wasteland hitler in this game.

Then you've got the railroad who is the living embodiment of #SynthLivesMatter

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

dog kisser posted:

It's also really weird slavery where a bunch of the slaves actually are actual automatons and some of them that aren't are brain download things where the questions of morality around brain copies seems to be way more complex than anyone alive today could really answer. It seems like it's only a few individuals that are actually unique sentient people that are enslaved and that seems like a recent thing that mostly is to do with them having upgraded their automatons too much accidently rather than a plan to make slaves.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Delsaber posted:

That was exactly what I expected too, before going inside and... nope, just a town with an in-joke at the gate. So that's another missed opportunity for sure.

I hate to parrot the usual "Obsidian would've done that differently" routine but yeah, something like a fortified town built on top of a Vault by former dwellers who are a tad paranoid and vaguely cult-y about everything is probably something they would've written, even if it maybe projects too much of a Vault City vibe. But at least it would've been a nice change from three of the five Vaults in Fallout 4 being little more than raider dens.

So a second vaguely paranoid but otherwise functioning Vault? I don't see how that would have been any more clever than what we got. At least the whole "synth trap" thing was a surprise that left me guessing what the hell was up with the place til the end.

Also pulling an idea out of your rear end and saying "this is something that narrative powerhouse Obsidian would have done" is kind of self-fellating, isn't it?

frajaq posted:

The Commonwealth cities/settlements tried to unite and form an organized government once but the Institute went in and killed all the representatives.

When confronted the Institute says the whole thing was their idea and that it fell to petty in-fighting, which is why they abandoned the idea of working with the Commonwealth. Could be an outright lie, but I haven't found any evidence confirming or denying it.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Azhais posted:

I think the commonwealth is better off with the factions at war than with any of them succeding

The game desperately needs a Yes Man ending.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

homullus posted:

I felt this way too, but still think Travis and that quest are one of the highlights of the game for me (so far). I didn't know whether he was flagged as essential when I did his quest so I was really worried he would die! I really like what the voice actor did with poor scared Travis. :)

When I did that quest the last part of the mission I had to rescue vadim from literally himself. For I had killed all the raiders in the place where he had (somehow) tied himself up. Also more hilarity insued after I rescue him and Travis miraculously becomes as smooth as a baby seal melting in butter on the air. Maybe he finally found out that he could manipulate the people around him to do what he wanted based on being strictly awkward.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!

Zodium posted:

Started a Rifleman run

Sounds cool, but quite apropos, I really dislike the +dmg perks. They're so BORING! I know they're probably supposed to incite you to run through the game multiple times, but being able to switch between weapons as my ADD dictates is so much more appealing to me than is going through ANOTHER 70 hours, but this time with guns!

I guess what I'm saying is, with drugs and Science! perks, but nothing weapon type specific, would you think it'd be realistic to switch over from knives to plasma as preferred method of super mutant deliverance?

Hm, it's probably gonna be less effective than the power armored blitz ninja, but that's a tough act to follow in any case.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

dog kisser posted:

That's how I've thought for my first run through the game. Let's compare faction introductions.

Minutemen: "Hey we're too incompetent to take care of ourselves, can you do it? Please let this junkie, two whiny cunts, and me - a man too stupid and cowardly to resurrect or lead my faction by myself - live in your old neighborhood!"

Railroad: "Who are you?! Why are you here?! You killed a Courser? Bullshit! Hey, you're gonna give us that poo poo you got off him, got it?! Okay we'll help but give it to us right now or we don't help you! RIGHT NOW!"

Brotherhood: "Stand down civilian what are you doing here? My cronies are too dumb to help me clear this building of robots, you do it. Also you're gonna get ordered around by an airhead and a giant oval office of a man until I decide to take you to our tiny, stupid blimp where you'll be bossed around by an even bigger pompous rear end, got it?!"

Institute: "Hello, mother/father. Listen, I'm really sorry about all this poo poo that's been happening. My mind's been on other things what with me working on borrowed time these days. Wanna walk around our super-clean facility and meet our staff members - a dude super hype about gorillas, Dr. Li for some inane reason, a few tightly wound people, and Professor Snape?"

I actually railroaded the Railroad with a missile launcher the first time I got there, they were so intolerable. After being bossed around by Danse and his douchebag underlings immediately prior, I was like 'yup gently caress all of these assholes I'm hanging with my old kid because even though the Institute is also full of assholes, at least they're mostly polite assholes.'

Besides, I figured my lady was one to talk. She's killed a couple thousand people on her rampaging search for her kid. Might as well keep the hell train on its tracks to whatever end the Institute will bring.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Deified Data posted:

I don't see how that would have been any more clever than what we got.

It would have contextualized why they had access to Fallout 3's GOAT. The mandatory first thing they do before you enter the town is also a major part of FO3's start - it's a weird distraction and a pointless reference.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

moths posted:

It would have contextualized why they had access to Fallout 3's GOAT. The mandatory first thing they do before you enter the town is also a major part of FO3's start - it's a weird distraction and a pointless reference.

It's not supposed to literally be the GOAT, it's just a cute nod. They apparently came up with the questions from scratch.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Layers upon layers, everything needs to be explained, like what do Brahmin eat?

It's important otherwise my immersion is lost and I cannot roleplay no more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired

ChibiSoma posted:

Minutemen: "Hey we're too incompetent to take care of ourselves, can you do it? Please let this junkie, two whiny cunts, and me - a man too stupid and cowardly to resurrect or lead my faction by myself - live in your old neighborhood!"

Railroad: "Who are you?! Why are you here?! You killed a Courser? Bullshit! Hey, you're gonna give us that poo poo you got off him, got it?! Okay we'll help but give it to us right now or we don't help you! RIGHT NOW!"

Brotherhood: "Stand down civilian what are you doing here? My cronies are too dumb to help me clear this building of robots, you do it. Also you're gonna get ordered around by an airhead and a giant oval office of a man until I decide to take you to our tiny, stupid blimp where you'll be bossed around by an even bigger pompous rear end, got it?!"

These were pretty much my problems with all the starting factions, but I have a huge beef against The Institute too. Hell, the Legion from New Vegas at least had some bearing on the world around it alongside a clear vision for humanity. These guys never leave their secret underground clubhouse while making robot gorrilas so we can experience Terminator and Planet of the Apes in one convenient bundle. I'm sure they won't escape because synths don't escape.

The railroad is insane and pompous.
The brotherhood is the brotherhood.
The minutemen cant build a well in Sanctuary and require me to do literally everything for them.

Everyone is an idiot. I need a Yes Man equivalent path.

• Locked thread