Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

tooterfish posted:

Can their revolutionary person maker make avatars that don't run like they've poo poo themselves?

Because 18 mocap studios and more than a year spent on "FPS" gameplay, and that's still a thing for some reason.

Your balls would swell up to the size of mason jars too if they had just finished being assaulted by a vigorous 45 minute sandalwood scrub to remove any lingering traces of undesirable foliage.

Beet Wagon posted:

They did say the Starfarer is like basically done in the last space talk show they did. And the new F-150 Freelancer is supposed to be near complete too.

Also the Herald.

Both of those ships have been "basically done" since sometime last June.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

tooterfish posted:

Can their revolutionary person maker make avatars that don't run like they've poo poo themselves?

Because 18 mocap studios and more than a year spent on "FPS" gameplay, and that's still a thing for some reason.

Whats the point of a nice avatar creator like Skyforge or Black Desert if 5 minutes after loading your strapped in a grey spacesuit with a helmet hiding 70% of your head ?

They are selling Autism Chariots. Custom Ship skins with Org nose art is there the money's at.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Hopped into BNB stream a while back. Literally only watched for like 5 min but so many highlights:

Arms and legs sticking out of hull twisting and writing. Ship explodes for no reason when he tries to QJ.

Wake up in bed, infinite death loop. Log out/log in.

Spawn ship, takes off and the wing clips into the station and it gets stuck. He climbs out and leave it there like some av avant-garde sculpture.

Floats up to another ship parked above station gets inside. Server crash despawns ship he ends up in bug space with parts of ships everywhere.

I was watching JC3 streams and I just keep coming back to SC.

Why do the bugs look even worse now? How is that possible?

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

aleksendr posted:

Whats the point of a nice avatar creator like Skyforge or Black Desert if 5 minutes after loading your strapped in a grey spacesuit with a helmet hiding 70% of your head ?

They are selling Autism Chariots. Custom Ship skins with Org nose art is there the money's at.

Once their character model is "done" and they're comfortable putting out new clothing sets the storefront is going to look like a JCrew catalog advertising to a Firefly convention.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

ZenMaster posted:

Hopped into BNB stream a while back. Literally only watched for like 5 min but so many highlights:

Arms and legs sticking out of hull twisting and writing. Ship explodes for no reason when he tries to QJ.

Wake up in bed, infinite death loop. Log out/log in.

Spawn ship, takes off and the wing clips into the station and it gets stuck. He climbs out and leave it there like some av avant-garde sculpture.

Floats up to another ship parked above station gets inside. Server crash despawns ship he ends up in bug space with parts of ships everywhere.

I was watching JC3 streams and I just keep coming back to SC.

Don't worry. It's a known issue. Everything is normal.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

aleksendr posted:

My money would be on some high-end graphics Pizzaz, like prettier explosion or more glowing pew pew.

quote:

[–] cvc75Freelancer
6 points 2 hours ago

Volumetric smoke would be incredible if it reacts to ships flying through it. Push a bow wave of smoke before your ship or leave a swirling trail of gas behind you. Try to shake a pursuer in a space cloud, only to be betrayed by the trail you leave behind.
This is the equivalent of getting excited about a chef possibly adding a sprinkling of silver dragées to the can sprayed whipped cream he's dolloped all over the steaming turd he's charging you $400 to eat...

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

G0RF posted:

This is the equivalent of getting excited about a chef possibly adding a sprinkling of silver dragées to the can sprayed whipped cream he's dolloped all over the steaming turd he's charging you $400 to eat...

For an extra $200, it's truffle oil.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Dusty Lens posted:

Once their character model is "done" and they're comfortable putting out new clothing sets the storefront is going to look like a JCrew catalog advertising to a Firefly convention.

Cant wait for the fursuits..

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

Hav posted:

For an extra $200, it's truffle oil.

For another $80 the chef will take a photo with you while you grin through mouthful after mouthful.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

ZenMaster posted:

David Cronenberg presents: Star Citizen.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3vskyc/here_is_what_i_did_with_my_extra_starter_package/

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

G0RF posted:

they're just all buying into croberts vision of "let's put every 'oh poo poo' moment ever portrayed in a sci-fi movie into a game", without thinking about how unlikely it is for those things to actually happen without the pro/antagonists having cooperative scriptwriters

has anyone talked about docking their fighter on the rear end of an idra to avoid being chased

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I'd rather receive a $1 scratch-off ticket than a Star Citizen package. At least the ticket won't crash.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014
Here's an idea that could be possible within the PTU.

I give you :

THE SC 2015 RAT RACE.

Everyone spawn his ship at the start point and then get to the starting line. Once the signal is off, you have to race to another station and you have to collect a "flag" at a 3rd station halfway in the race.

All weapons are free.

Run to the Tarmac, murder your way to a ship, swarm to the station, land, get of, get a flag, murder your way in (another ?) ship, swarm to the end point, land, run to the finish line.

All we need is some respawn mechanism that resurect you at the end of the main group of runner (in a random ship if in space) and we have a somehting.

Fun ?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

aleksendr posted:

I give you :

THE SC 2015 RAT RACE.

Everyone spawn his ship at the start point and then get to the starting line. Once the signal is off, you have to race to another station and you have to collect a "flag" at a 3rd station halfway in the race.

All weapons are free.

Run to the Tarmac, murder your way to a ship, swarm to the station, land, get of, get a flag, murder your way in (another ?) ship, swarm to the end point, land, run to the finish line.

All we need is some respawn mechanism that resurect you at the end of the main group of runner (in a random ship if in space) and we have a somehting.

Fun ?

:chloe:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Sarsapariller posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3vsav1/top_secret_new_tech_december_16_livestream_p/

Speculation? Does anyone care?

I'm going to guess that it'll involve procedural planets, because the closest competitor to Star Citizen just released a procedural planet generator and it would be just like Roberts to ditch all of the work already done on planetside to pursue yet another tech.

actually i take it back. it'll be the single greatest addition to SC:

the crosshairs in FPS mode

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

They're deep into the receiving end and they don't even know it.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Ok, need more polish. Back to the drawing board.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

aleksendr posted:

I give you :

THE SC 2015 RAT RACE.

All weapons are free.

Fun ?

That's fun!

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

The Interstellar Security Agency

quote:

I am sure Cloud Imperium is creating a robust policing system in-lore. I hope it's something like this. ...

:allears:

I'm sure CIG will get right on it.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Realtalk: my prediction for the livestream is procedural planets to include going down to the surface. I recall a month or two ago CR actually revised what they said they were going to do because surprisingly they were able to go a little bit above and beyond what was initially thought, but he didn't give a lot of details. I imagine procedural planetary/celestial bodies to include going to the surface is on the menu.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Daztek posted:

The Interstellar Security Agency

:allears:

I'm sure CIG will get right on it.

in the star citizen justice system there are 2 separate yet equally important parts: the space cops who arrest you and the space lawyers and judges INDEPENDENT ARBITER'S GUILD who decide your fate

there are their stories :doink:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

ZenMaster posted:

What reasonable for expecting most of these issues to be resolved? Three months maybe, give extra for the holidays, I wonder where things will stand at the end of March.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

G0RF posted:

Maneuvering thrusters add fidelity. Fidelity adds immersion. If you don't understand that, you can't understand game development, and no words can reach you.

Here-- allow this animated gif to explain.

I'm the fire burning in a vacuum.

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

Tippis posted:

…why is it that people so often seem to misuse the term “ambitious” when relating to this game?

Maybe I'm missing a trick here, but the only somewhat ambitious part of SC is the purported seamless transition between station, ship, and space environments, and even that one is only really ambitious due to the interlinked local physics of each zone. For everything else, there are games out right now that does what SC is supposed to do on a far larger, far more intricate and complex, and far more ambitious scale.

It's the same between visual fidelity and detail on the one hand (which is moving in this direction anyway as hardware becomes more powerful), and the claim of “realism” on the other, even though realism is so far divorced from everything related to SC, and indeed any space shooter. The “realism” is just a function of predictable computer evolution, not of some grand vision… and especially not as deadlines keep being missed and spectacular visuals become common-place simply because that's what happens over time.

Do these people simply not play space games?

The ambitious part, my dude, is developing a game with CR at the helm

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

G0RF posted:

Yeah like smoke effects don't already loving murder people's computers when you look at them.

Let's add more logic to process on top of that.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Renegret posted:

Yeah like smoke effects don't already loving murder people's computers when you look at them.

I'm sure our quantum computers can handle a little smoke by the time Star Citizen is released. :rolleyes:

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

in the star citizen justice system there are 2 separate yet equally important parts: the space cops who arrest you and the space lawyers and judges INDEPENDENT ARBITER'S GUILD who decide your fate

there are their stories :doink:

Law and Order jokes are always funny, second only to humble-bragging jokes.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Eldragon posted:

Law and Order jokes are always funny, second only to humble-bragging jokes.

CSI:Cyber fan spotted.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'm the fire burning in a vacuum.

This fire effect came free with our cryengine so you're going to learn to like it!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Renegret posted:

…also, where are the gas currents coming from that would make the smoke swirl? Is it the vacuum rushing in to replace the vacuum that is left behind by the particles as they move through vacuum?

Or are the SC ships running on Futurama-style black matter, where the exhaust particles are so dense they gravitate towards each other with enough force to create their own fluid-like orbits?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Tippis posted:

…also, where are the gas currents coming from that would make the smoke swirl? Is it the vacuum rushing in to replace the vacuum that is left behind by the particles as they move through vacuum?

Or are the SC ships running on Futurama-style black matter, where the exhaust particles are so dense they gravitate towards each other with enough force to create their own fluid-like orbits?

woah hold on there cowboy that's too much thinking you're asking for me to do in one day

yes...pretty smoke...that's what I understand.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3vrv4u/this_was_an_incredible_year_for_sc_and_i_hope_the/

Good to know 2015 was the "Hardest year" for SC.

Holy hell these people truly are delusional. The comments are depressing to read.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Justin Tyme posted:

Realtalk: my prediction for the livestream is procedural planets to include going down to the surface. I recall a month or two ago CR actually revised what they said they were going to do because surprisingly they were able to go a little bit above and beyond what was initially thought, but he didn't give a lot of details. I imagine procedural planetary/celestial bodies to include going to the surface is on the menu.
I think this is a reasonable guess, for the following reason.

Chris Roberts seems to have the frenemy dynamic with Braben. On the one hand, he encouraged backers to support the game and makes nice in joint interviews with Braben. On the other hand, there have been gauntlets thrown down ("BDSSE") and attempts at upstaging Elite which backfired and were postponed.

I honestly think it burns the hell out of Chris seeing Elite quietly continuing to make steady progress-- with regular new ship roll outs, CQC, expansion to Xbox One, in game Community Goals, etc. Elite has also been on the leading edge with VR - and is about to get a nitrous oxide boost with Vive and Oculus' commercial launches. It's consider a "MUST OWN" title for VR owners because it embraces VR's limitations perfectly and apparently truly does make people feel "they are flying in a spaceship in a huge beautiful galaxy"...

Put simply, to maximize Chris' horror, Elite in VR is "hugely immersive".

As annoying as those milestones are, and as bad as they make CIG's flounderings, their buggy releases, their ship delays and postponed shooter components look, the upcoming planetary landings expansion represents a hugely ambition expansion to the Elite universe. It's now two miles wide and an inch deep.

Nevertheless-- it's pretty drat cool and with refinement passes and looting/crafting in Horizons, it has the potential to get even more immersive. While Frontier strides from strength to strength, CIG lurches, slouches, and can't walk a straight line, let alone start running.

I personally think this really bothers Chris-- and it's made worse by the fact that he has so much more money and should be absolutely leaving Elite in the space dust by now. So I do believe there's a chance Chris- motivated by professional jealousy and pride- would've had his team fast tracking procedural generation with planetary landings. It's on their "To Do" list anyway, but I think a near term preview is possible, though not a near term rollout...

Because even though he's got Braben in his crosshairs, those crosshairs are floating around unbound to his weapon due to crappy code merges...

G0RF fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Dec 7, 2015

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3vqvvj/ganking_in_the_pu_200_and_beyond/

"ganking should be harder to get away with, just like in real life!" Should we be reporting this guy to the FBI? They way he wrote it, sounds like he has some real life experience with murder.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

actually i take it back. it'll be the single greatest addition to SC:

the crosshairs in FPS mode

Crosshairs ruin immersion. You have iron sights for aiming your future space-gun and that is all you need. Nevermind that you have an alternate reality display that literally pops up information about anyone or anything you look at in real time- another design department did that. Guns are iron-sights only.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
If it's procedural planet generation I'm going to ascend to a new level of pitty for the citizens. They spent months making GBS threads on any kind of procedural content generation like E:DS as cheap and uninspired and SC was going to be far superior because everything was handcrafted :psyduck:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Sarsapariller posted:

Crosshairs ruin immersion. You have iron sights for aiming your future space-gun and that is all you need. Nevermind that you have an alternate reality display that literally pops up information about anyone or anything you look at in real time- another design department did that. Guns are iron-sights only.

i think there is a 50/50 chance that they never get crosshairs working and just say that it ruins immersion and this was their vision all along

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

G0RF posted:

I personally think this really bothers Chris-- and it's made worse by the fact that he has so much more money and should be absolutely leaving Elite in the space dust by now. So I do believe there's a chance Chris- motivated by professional jealousy and pride- would've had his team fast tracking procedural generation with planetary landings. It's on their "To Do" list anyway, but I think a near term preview is possible, though not a near term rollout...

Braben also “cheats” by not trying to make a horribly written '90s-style interactive movie. It wouldn't surprise me if that difference in scope and vision also gets on CRobber's nerves. Not that he recognises that maybe he has made a bad call in going in that direction, but in that he feels this gives Braben an unfair advantage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Excellent summary, thank you. This is basically why I believe it as well. Though I think it'll depend on whether he can whip the programmers in the slave pits into knocking something out in time. It's not like this would be the first time Ben promised something amazing that turned out to be a used tissue he found while going through Croberts' garbage.

• Locked thread