Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aleksendr
May 14, 2014

G0RF posted:

I personally think this really bothers Chris-- and it's made worse by the fact that he has so much more money and should be absolutely leaving Elite in the space dust by now. So I do believe there's a chance Chris- motivated by professional jealousy and pride- would've had his team fast tracking procedural generation with planetary landings. It's on their "To Do" list anyway, but I think a near term preview is possible, though not a near term rollout...

Because even though he's got Braben in his crosshairs, those crosshairs are floating around unbound to his weapon due to crappy code merges...

By that account, every new space game that get released push SC further back ? This is getting into "Achilles and the tortoise" kind of delay now..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

G0RF posted:

Because even though he's got Braben in his crosshairs, those crosshairs are floating around unbound to his weapon due to crappy code merges...

Then we remember that lack of crosshairs was a Star Marine blocker.

Never stop believing or the whole deck of cards may come crumbling down.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

G0RF posted:

I think this is a reasonable guess, for the following reason.

Chris Roberts seems to have the frenemy dynamic with Braben. On the one hand, he encouraged backers to support the game and makes nice in joint interviews with Braben. On the other hand, there have been gauntlets thrown down ("BDSSE") and attempts at upstaging Elite which backfired and were postponed.

I honestly think it burns the hell out of Chris seeing Elite quietly continuing to make steady progress-- with regular new ship roll outs, CQC, expansion to Xbox One, in game Community Goals, etc. Elite has also been on the leading edge with VR - and is about to get a nitrous oxide boost with Vive and Oculus' commercial launches. It's consider a "MUST OWN" title for VR owners because it embraces VR's limitations perfectly and apparently truly does make people feel "they are flying in a spaceship in a huge beautiful galaxy"...

Put simply, to maximize Chris' horror, Elite in VR is "hugely immersive".

As annoying as those milestones are, and as bad as they make CIG's flounderings, their buggy releases, their ship delays and postponed shooter components look, the upcoming planetary landings expansion represents a hugely ambition expansion to the Elite universe. It's now two miles wide and an inch deep.

Nevertheless-- it's pretty drat cool and with refinement passes and looting/crafting in Horizons, it has the potential to get even more immersive. While Frontier strides from strength to strength, CIG lurches, slouches, and can't walk a straight line, let alone start running.

I personally think this really bothers Chris-- and it's made worse by the fact that he has so much more money and should be absolutely leaving Elite in the space dust by now. So I do believe there's a chance Chris- motivated by professional jealousy and pride- would've had his team fast tracking procedural generation with planetary landings. It's on their "To Do" list anyway, but I think a near term preview is possible, though not a near term rollout...

Ah c'mon, it's at least a foot deep by now.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Sarsapariller posted:

Crosshairs ruin immersion. You have iron sights for aiming your future space-gun and that is all you need. Nevermind that you have an alternate reality display that literally pops up information about anyone or anything you look at in real time- another design department did that. Guns are iron-sights only.

Maybe Star Citizen wouldn't suffer from it's grey-generic-FPS appearance if it just actively embraced some future technology poo poo. I mean you're right, if everybody is walking around with a VR display, there should be digital crosshairs connected to your gun sights, enemies should be outlined in red and given real-time threat assessment levels, ammo and grenade counts should be in your periphery, and all kinds of customizable UI clutter should be available for you to turn on and off at your preference.

Instead, the FPS elements of Star Citizen are really plain, really boring, and exactly the same as any other B-grade forgettable FPS game. It doesn't even look cool enough for merit, it's just nothing but grey textures and badly animated men running around.

imperialparadox fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Dec 7, 2015

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mirificus posted:

Let's see what Kurt_M has been up to lately:

Hmm...

Oh no, another publication added to Kurt_M's blacklist:

Kurt can be our new Karl

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Sarsapariller posted:

Crosshairs ruin immersion. You have iron sights for aiming your future space-gun and that is all you need. Nevermind that you have an alternate reality display that literally pops up information about anyone or anything you look at in real time- another design department did that. Guns are iron-sights only.

I remember playing some game about 15 years ago without crosshairs, so I taped one on my screen. :v:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

imperialparadox posted:

Maybe Star Citizen wouldn't suffer from it's grey-generic-FPS appearance if it just actively embraced some future technology poo poo. I mean you're right, if everybody is walking around with a VR display, their should be digital crosshairs connected to your gun sights, enemies should be outlined in red and given real-time threat assessment levels, ammo and grenade counts should be in your periphery, and all kinds of customizable UI clutter should be available for you to turn on and off at your preference.

Instead, the FPS elements of Star Citizen are really plain, really boring, and exactly the same as any other B-grade forgettable FPS game. It doesn't even look cool enough for merit, it's just nothing but grey textures and badly animated men running around.

Is there an ingame reason as to why they still use bullets and poo poo vs cool laser guns or plasma whatever?

also why do their guns work in space? :iiam:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Dusty Lens posted:

Keep clapping or tinkerbell dies.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Is there an ingame reason as to why they still use bullets and poo poo vs cool laser guns or plasma whatever?

Guns work in space duder. http://www.livescience.com/18588-shoot-gun-space.html

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

CashEnsign posted:

Real gameplay!

Soooo boooooring

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Its honestly too bad star citizen decided to do whatever it is they did, because they have some top notch artists tho, for reals

I'm actually looking at EVE Valkyrie, im pretty interested in that game

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
crossing my fingers that the new announcement is sataball

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
also they probably have some pretty talented programmers to be able to even make tiny portions of Chris Robert's impossible fever dream appear on on the screen period

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

neato.

but why no cool guns

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

G0RF posted:

I think this is a reasonable guess, for the following reason.

Chris Roberts seems to have the frenemy dynamic with Braben. On the one hand, he encouraged backers to support the game and makes nice in joint interviews with Braben. On the other hand, there have been gauntlets thrown down ("BDSSE") and attempts at upstaging Elite which backfired and were postponed.

I honestly think it burns the hell out of Chris seeing Elite quietly continuing to make steady progress-- with regular new ship roll outs, CQC, expansion to Xbox One, in game Community Goals, etc. Elite has also been on the leading edge with VR - and is about to get a nitrous oxide boost with Vive and Oculus' commercial launches. It's consider a "MUST OWN" title for VR owners because it embraces VR's limitations perfectly and apparently truly does make people feel "they are flying in a spaceship in a huge beautiful galaxy"...

Put simply, to maximize Chris' horror, Elite in VR is "hugely immersive".

As annoying as those milestones are, and as bad as they make CIG's flounderings, their buggy releases, their ship delays and postponed shooter components look, the upcoming planetary landings expansion represents a hugely ambition expansion to the Elite universe. It's now two miles wide and an inch deep.

Nevertheless-- it's pretty drat cool and with refinement passes and looting/crafting in Horizons, it has the potential to get even more immersive. While Frontier strides from strength to strength, CIG lurches, slouches, and can't walk a straight line, let alone start running.

Honestly I think this is accurate. It was weird when ED had buggies and all of a sudden they were in SC as well (that may have been promised but I can't keep track of everything this poo poo pile has promised). It's like 'ED has buggies? gently caress YOU WE HAVE BUGGIES TOO'

The real laugh of it is that ED has to do nothing. All they have to do is keep on doing what they are doing since the depth will get there eventually. They are so far ahead of SC it is crazy. Though I would like to see them promise ridiculous poo poo just to see if Roberts tries it. But then again, starting procedural generation when you have barely any of the games systems implimented is just lol. This is going to be a cobbled together mess of half finished systems with less depth than ED and a ten hour garbage movie that no one wants to watch.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
WTF
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3vtwaj/the_interstellar_security_agency/

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Eonwe posted:

Its honestly too bad star citizen decided to do whatever it is they did, because they have some top notch artists tho, for reals

I'm actually looking at EVE Valkyrie, im pretty interested in that game

EVE Valkyrie, Elite Dangerous and Subnautica are 3 of the required 5-6 active titles that will prompt me to seriously consider getting a VR device.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I have to defend SC on that one (Oh how it hurt) Gun dont need air to launch a projectile, the oxidizer you need is already in the propellant. As for cool laser gun and plasma, regular guns are a pretty dam efficient tech already. Small, easy to use, low cost, easy to manufacture (look at the guy making a cheap AK from a shovel and some spring)

Unless you face serious advances in armor tech or want to go for a specific sci-fi feel, no need to improve on guns (and the code needed for them was probably already built-in with the cry engine).

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

without even hardly thinking about it its easy to break this system in pieces

lets use his ramming example

if you ram too many people, it becomes obvious that you are a griefer

the response of a griefer: have lots of players fly around the target and attempt to get the target to fly into you

boom, now the person being griefed is marked as a griefer by the system

also gently caress you reddit

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
ahahahah he literally wants to make it so that if you are friends with a griefer you may be arrested

quote:

ISA Navy may dispatch customs agents for scanning & evaluation as you approach, further out of the green zone than normal if you're a specifically shady target, or mark you as arrest-on-sight (criminal), not simply because of what you do, but who your connections are, and how deep.

this has got to be a loving joke ahahahah

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Eonwe posted:

ahahahah he literally wants to make it so that if you are friends with a griefer you may be arrested

If they did get their dream game of North Korea prison camps for people who like PVP then they'd be bored of grinding on dumb NPCs in a month

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Berious posted:

If they did get their dream game of North Korea prison camps for people who like PVP then they'd be bored of grinding on dumb NPCs in a month

I think you underestimate the kind of people asking for no pvp.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
A lot of people called this. You don't pay massive amounts of cash for a load of autism chariots and happily go along with being hosed with.

Of course they want to be left alone to be super awesome. Getting griefed contradicts the fantasy they have crafted for themselves. Not to mention they somehow have to justify to themselves that the stupid amounts of money they spent would equal fun.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Eonwe posted:

literal fascists

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
They want it to be a lawless space area with dangerous aliens and pirate rape but at the same time want the law to be so oppressive that they mercilessly deal with people who pvp. Ok then.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

neato.

but why no cool guns
the same reason no cool ships.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

1stGear posted:

literal fascists

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
How will they ensure that you are the certified owner of each ship that you fly? My thinking is that you wait in line in order to show your official Citizens Certificate and a piloting license before taking off in any docked ship. If you do not have both your license and certificate, you need to fill out the appropriate paperwork and snail-mail it to CIG. When CIG finally uploads your certificate into the game world, you can go back to waiting in the docking line. This is the best way to ensure Star Citizen matches the quantifiable fun matrix I've graphed in excel.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Ghostlight posted:

the same reason no cool ships.

The racer series, Aliens and the Reclaimer looks nice to me. Its the military type who are very "Bleh".

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler
Rape dungeons are fine.

As long as they are CONSENSUAL rape dungeons.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Dapper Dan posted:

They want it to be a lawless space area with dangerous aliens and pirate rape but at the same time want the law to be so oppressive that they mercilessly deal with people who pvp. Ok then.

So they can live out their Malcolm Reynolds fantasies without people ruining their immersion, I would guess.

Their sense of entitlement can be measured by the amount of money they put into this ridiculous experience in the first place

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Ah, time for a good night playing "Star Citizen"

*checks "consents to being raped" box on startup*

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
If you can hi-jack a ship and steal it, you either gently caress over someone with LTI by preventing them from using their LTI ship while it remains intact OR people with LTI can just distribute ships as they please if they can recover stolen ships, etc, etc.

This probably is addressed already I hope.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jason Sextro posted:

So they can live out their Malcolm Reynolds fantasies without people ruining their immersion, I would guess.

But Rebel Galaxy is single player...

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Snazzy Frocks posted:

If you can hi-jack a ship and steal it, you either gently caress over someone with LTI by preventing them from using their LTI ship while it remains intact OR people with LTI can just distribute ships as they please if they can recover stolen ships, etc, etc.

This probably is addressed already I hope.

If ships are permanent in universe and you cant claim LTI as long as they are still "in the world" i say we start the biggest, best guarded "lost junkyard" in the game.

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

So having played the Alpha 2.0 for a couple hours now, it's already better than boring pile of poo poo Elite: Dangerous which I wasted 15 bucks on.

Yup, I said it.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

blueberrysmith posted:

Why even try guys.

:smug: Hey maybe you shouldn't be spending rent and food money on a loving jpeg

:reddit: Why are you goons so mean to me with your hilarious sarcastic posting?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Dusty Lens posted:

So Star Citizen is Tinkerbell now?

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

So having played the Alpha 2.0 for a couple hours now, it's already better than boring pile of poo poo Elite: Dangerous which I wasted 15 bucks on.

Yup, I said it.

Nobody is saying this wont be worth a 40$ pop (or maybe even 80$ for a nice ship) once its released.

The problem is that there is no way on earth its worth 300,000$ (estimated Goon total mentionned somewhere earlier, not accounting for Bootcha) while its still in the hands of very questionably competent Devs with an undefinite release date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
So apparently someone has figured out how to use both ship and hand weapons in the armistice zone or whatever it is and has been gunning down folks and blowing up their ships as soon a they take off, and an ArmA sperg I know straight up accused the person of being a goon.

And then bitched to me about it. :allears:

• Locked thread