Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
Anyone have the Prana Brion pants? I'm mostly wondering, how do the real waist measurements compare to the labeled sizes, and how big are the leg openings? I'm looking for something with a 5 pocket or chino type upper block, that won't fit like a trashbag in the legs, but also isn't overly slim like outlier stuff. Seems to be my best bet but I keep finding conflicting info on the measurements and I can't find any fit pictures.

Anything else anyone would recommend for "decently slim nylon hiking pants without cargo pockets or zipoffs?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

Anyone have the Prana Brion pants? I'm mostly wondering, how do the real waist measurements compare to the labeled sizes, and how big are the leg openings? I'm looking for something with a 5 pocket or chino type upper block, that won't fit like a trashbag in the legs, but also isn't overly slim like outlier stuff. Seems to be my best bet but I keep finding conflicting info on the measurements and I can't find any fit pictures.

Anything else anyone would recommend for "decently slim nylon hiking pants without cargo pockets or zipoffs?"

If you can deal with a thigh zip pocket, Outdoor Research has some interesting looking options. I have a pair of their softshell pants, from a discontinued line, and I love them. They are basic jean cut and pocket placement. They were not crazy slim, but not too baggy either. I did take mine in as I feel that they get snagged less and are warmer this way. I wish I had bought two pairs though, I have not found an other line just like them.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

Arcteryx psiphon are slim cut - thigh pocket though not sure if that's a deal breaker

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Eddie Bauer first ascent guide pants are slim and non zip off with pockets that don't protrude from the pants. Well priced if you catch them on sale. They've become some of my favorite pants as they're really comfortable.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
What's the point of pants if you can't zip them off at random times and startle your acquaintances? I'd also pay good money for more zippers on pants, like a 3/4 length capri and 1/4 length short shorts, on top of the cargo short length

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Looking for my first set of real poles and I see that Massdrop has 2 on there. The Fizan Compact poles for 49.99 and the Black Diamond Alpine Carbon Cork poles. There is only a single day left on the Fizans, while the Black Diamonds have oddly not reached their lowest price left. Thinking of waiting to see if the Black Diamonds reach the lowest 104.99 price, as that seems both really low and they are apparently very highly recommended. Thoughts? FWIW, I'm 6'2" 230 and there seem to be complaints that Fizan's are not strong enough to take serious weight.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Here are the poles once sold by costco which are often reviewed as one of the best deals in poles.

http://www.amazon.com/Cascade-Mountain-Tech-Carbon-Trekking/dp/B007E0ZBZI

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I have 2 pairs of the LEKI Makalu Retro poles (which are going for $79 (tax free and free shipping) on Backcountry.com), and I have used them up and down the Smoky Mountains since the spring. My wife and I have had zero issue with them, and LEKI has a lifetime warranty.

http://www.backcountry.com/leki-makalu-retro-trekking-poles?s=a

To add a couple of pictures of our favorite hikes of 2015 which all took place in the GSMNP (sorry for quality, but these were all taken with an iPhone). We are trying to hike every mile of the GSMNP.

My 2 kids and a friend leading they way down from Mt. LeConte via Alum Cave trail. If you only do one serious day hike in the GSMNP, this is the hike. Perfect.

My son at the Jump Off which is just off the Boulevard trail which connects with the AT.

View from Charles Bunion on the AT.

View of Mt LeConte from the Bunion

On top of the Chimney Tops.

Andrews Bald overlooking NC.

talktapes
Apr 14, 2007

You ever hear of the neutron bomb?

EPICAC posted:

Congrats! I'm currently working on finishing the winter 48. I'd like to finish this winter, but I don't thin it's likely since we have a one year old at home. I'm not able to get out most weekends like I was in the past. Plus I've left myself with some difficult peaks for the finish. I should be able to get Moosilauke and the Osceolas this winter, but completely time and weather dependent are Zealand and the Bonds, and Monroe, Washington, and Jefferson. We took our baby up to Lonesome Lake Hut on Friday, and I'm getting the itch.

Thanks and that's pretty terrific, it sounds like you have most of them done, which is already a huge accomplishment. Honestly what's keeping me from doing the winter list are the exact hikes you've saved for last, particularly the Bonds. Plus I really enjoy solo hiking and am pretty uncomfortable being above treeline alone in the winter. In any case good luck and update us if it gets done this year (I have a feeling there aren't a lot of northeast hikers that post in this thread, but there are definitely some other lurkers).

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

hiked into the Grand Canyon over Thanksgiving. it was Hermit Trail or something on the southern side. it was freezing and a bit terrifying but totally worth it.

Goddamn the park is a zoo though. I was hoping for an escape from crowds (Californian here) and knew the park was popular but assumed not this time of year. . Also - $30.00 entrance fee was a shock. I bet Grand Canyon makes at least twenty times the amount the average national park does.

Saguaro National Park has dozens of interconnecting trails. Great spot to ride a mountain bike. The Sonoran desert is unbelievably dense with vegetation - THAT I did not expect.

Oh, and I highly don't recommend the San Francisco Peaks in Flagstaff. Maybe I'm spoiled by the Sierra but those mountains were lame in comparison.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Yosemite is $30 too I think

And yeah the GC is crazy but really cool

A Horse Named Mandy
Feb 9, 2007
Planning to spend 7 days/6 nights in the Grand Canyon between Christmas and New Years, so hopefully it empties out by then. Prepping by reading Over the Edge: Death in the Grand Canyon, about all the deaths and near misses in the Canyon's history. Much better than Death in Yellowstone as it actually gives a wealth of advice and includes more gripping accounts of survival instead of an endless listing of burns and drownings.

It also puts the $30 in perspective when you realize how much they spend on SAR when people attempt a Rim to Rim hike in July with a nothing but a 20oz of Gatorade. But then, I have the Annual Pass to all the parks, which pays for itself pretty quickly on the west coast.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

A Horse Named Mandy posted:

Planning to spend 7 days/6 nights in the Grand Canyon between Christmas and New Years, so hopefully it empties out by then. Prepping by reading Over the Edge: Death in the Grand Canyon, about all the deaths and near misses in the Canyon's history. Much better than Death in Yellowstone as it actually gives a wealth of advice and includes more gripping accounts of survival instead of an endless listing of burns and drownings.

It also puts the $30 in perspective when you realize how much they spend on SAR when people attempt a Rim to Rim hike in July with a nothing but a 20oz of Gatorade. But then, I have the Annual Pass to all the parks, which pays for itself pretty quickly on the west coast.

Yeah I think I'm going to get one of those this year. 3 trips to Yosemite and it'd be paid for.

The rim of the Grand Canyon is a lot more busy and crazy than the actual backpacking areas. I only remember one campsite being crowded of the two times I've backpacked in there. Then again that was in May, not sure what the winter months are like...I'd assume fewer people but who knows?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Reading death in Yellowstone while bored and winter camping there was a really bad idea (basically everyone died from wandering out into the cold) , hopefully death in gc isn't as foreboding

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

it's usually falling off of cliffs or getting lost with no water

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
A map with all the deaths from the book plus extras. :rip:

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

But then, I have the Annual Pass to all the parks, which pays for itself pretty quickly on the west coast.

Bingo. The annual pass is a killer deal in the west. I had one all last year and hit up most of the national parks in California (except for Pinnacles which I would like to see soon), some more than once. This year has been more of a designated wilderness year for me. Still, I should've just bought another annual pass at the Grand Canyon entrance.

Levitate posted:

The rim of the Grand Canyon is a lot more busy and crazy than the actual backpacking areas. I only remember one campsite being crowded of the two times I've backpacked in there. Then again that was in May, not sure what the winter months are like...I'd assume fewer people but who knows?

Definitely. When I was there last week it was chaos at the rim (felt more like an amusement park) but mostly empty along Hermit's Rest, which I assume is a very well-known trail. Most of the people at Grand Canyon I saw were families from overseas who wanted to get pictures of each other with a cool background and drink coffee on the bus. Not a bad idea in the winter.

It's cold. Don't underestimate the amount of layers needed... like I did.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

bunnielab posted:

If you can deal with a thigh zip pocket, Outdoor Research has some interesting looking options. I have a pair of their softshell pants, from a discontinued line, and I love them. They are basic jean cut and pocket placement. They were not crazy slim, but not too baggy either.

I second this recommendation. I just bought the new Outdoor Research Prusik soft shell pants and they're fantastic. Not too slim, but not even close to baggy. They'd be great for anything not in hot weather.

Also--do any of you use mountaineering boots as your backpacking boots. I'd like to have crampon (with heel clip) compatible boots that could do both since I don't do either often enough right now to justify the expense of buying separate pairs. I'm thinking the La Sportiva Trango Cubes would be a good candidate for this.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
You can get strap on style crampons that work with anything. You can also get microspikes that work amazingly well for certain applications. I think you'd be unhappy with hiking in a full on mountaineering boot. What sort of stuff would you be needing them for?

edit:
http://kahtoola.com/product/microspikes/

I have friends that will carry these when they are ski touring and use them for boot packing. They are pretty amazing for their size/weight, and far easier to pack than full on crampons.

n8r fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Dec 6, 2015

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

n8r posted:

You can get strap on style crampons that work with anything. You can also get microspikes that work amazingly well for certain applications. I think you'd be unhappy with hiking in a full on mountaineering boot. What sort of stuff would you be needing them for?

edit:
http://kahtoola.com/product/microspikes/

I have friends that will carry these when they are ski touring and use them for boot packing. They are pretty amazing for their size/weight, and far easier to pack than full on crampons.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I'd be using them on fairly steep snow in the Pacific Northwest and Sierra Nevada. Mt. Shasta, Mt. Hood, etc. So I'd really like the security of a hybrid style crampon over a strap-on. It sounds like you're saying even a lightweight mountaineering boot with a heel welt is going to be a lot less comfortable for backpacking though?

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Microspikes will do everything short of full on mountaineering. They are worth the 50 bucks to have in the closet.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
So I got real drunk on cyber Monday and ordered two lightweight packrafts from Massdrop. I'm so excited for the summer and never having to backtrack again, just hike all day, then crack a beer and float back to the car.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

I assume a "Death in Yosemite" book would be lots of stories about people drowning in the Merced River, slipping off the Half Dome cables and being swept over Vernal/Nevada Falls?

A Horse Named Mandy
Feb 9, 2007

cheese posted:

I assume a "Death in Yosemite" book would be lots of stories about people drowning in the Merced River, slipping off the Half Dome cables and being swept over Vernal/Nevada Falls?

Haven't read it, but it's called Off the Wall, so I'm guessing there's a lot of climbing deaths. From some descriptions of the atmosphere at Camp 4, I'm surprised the place isn't one big memorial by now.

Just got an email from the Grand Canyon about rodents being really aggressive lately. Apparently there used to be ammo boxes at all the backcountry campsites back in the day, but people kept using them as trash cans, so they've all been removed and now we're left to our own devices. I don't want to take my two pound bear canister, so does anybody have advice on protecting my food without the aid of trees?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Tacier posted:

It sounds like you're saying even a lightweight mountaineering boot with a heel welt is going to be a lot less comfortable for backpacking though?
mountaineering boots have very, very little flex in general. Some have a kinda-decent walking mode, but that's generally just the ankle joint.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Just got an email from the Grand Canyon about rodents being really aggressive lately. Apparently there used to be ammo boxes at all the backcountry campsites back in the day, but people kept using them as trash cans, so they've all been removed and now we're left to our own devices. I don't want to take my two pound bear canister, so does anybody have advice on protecting my food without the aid of trees?

I've had pretty good luck with those ursack bags: http://www.ursack.com/product/ursack-s29-allwhite/ . Basically buy one of those odor free bags to use for your trash, and one for your food and throw them both in the ursack. I used that all through Zion and there were little critters everywhere way to aggressive and used to people.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

You can also buy something like a ratsack, which is basically a mesh metal sack to put your food in.

http://www.rei.com/product/846495/armored-outdoor-gear-ratsack-cache-food-storage-bag

I might favor something like that vs an Ursack, not really sure how well those would hold up to a rodent determined to get your food, I think they're supposed to be more tearing resistant so that bears can't get in, not to protect against a rodent chewing the fibers.

fake edit: actually, Ursack makes a rodent proof bag: http://www.ursack.com/product/ursack-minor/

I'd get one that's designed for rodents. Depending on where you camp there's often some small trees you can hang stuff in a bit just to make it harder on rodents to sit there and chew as long as they want

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Tacier posted:

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I'd be using them on fairly steep snow in the Pacific Northwest and Sierra Nevada. Mt. Shasta, Mt. Hood, etc. So I'd really like the security of a hybrid style crampon over a strap-on. It sounds like you're saying even a lightweight mountaineering boot with a heel welt is going to be a lot less comfortable for backpacking though?

I've done a bunch of hiking in la sportiva trangos and they are pretty drat light but still seriously overkill if your primary use case isn't technical mountaineering. The sole is almost completely stiff and the footbed is hard as rock. They certainly work but if you'll mostly be backpacking or dayhiking and not technical climbing you'll probably be happier dialing back to even a heavy leather boot without the hardcore shank and heel welt.

That said, if you are planning to spend a lot of time in actual crampons mid-trip and want to rock hybrid step-ins, the trangos are certainly serviceable as backpacking boots. The rocker makes their stride reasonably comfortable.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

Tacier posted:

Microspikes are plenty good for all of those hikes, I don't think I saw a single person with crampons last year.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

nate fisher posted:

I have 2 pairs of the LEKI Makalu Retro poles (which are going for $79 (tax free and free shipping) on Backcountry.com), and I have used them up and down the Smoky Mountains since the spring. My wife and I have had zero issue with them, and LEKI has a lifetime warranty.

http://www.backcountry.com/leki-makalu-retro-trekking-poles?s=a

To add a couple of pictures of our favorite hikes of 2015 which all took place in the GSMNP (sorry for quality, but these were all taken with an iPhone). We are trying to hike every mile of the GSMNP.

My 2 kids and a friend leading they way down from Mt. LeConte via Alum Cave trail. If you only do one serious day hike in the GSMNP, this is the hike. Perfect.

My son at the Jump Off which is just off the Boulevard trail which connects with the AT.

View from Charles Bunion on the AT.

View of Mt LeConte from the Bunion

On top of the Chimney Tops.

Andrews Bald overlooking NC.

What do you recommend for a good 1 or 2 night hike in the Smokies? I'm trying to decide between SMNP and Mammoth Cave NP. If I can make it happen, it will be in March, April or early May. We are having twins at the end of May/early June.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Spime Wrangler posted:

I've done a bunch of hiking in la sportiva trangos and they are pretty drat light but still seriously overkill if your primary use case isn't technical mountaineering. The sole is almost completely stiff and the footbed is hard as rock. They certainly work but if you'll mostly be backpacking or dayhiking and not technical climbing you'll probably be happier dialing back to even a heavy leather boot without the hardcore shank and heel welt.

That said, if you are planning to spend a lot of time in actual crampons mid-trip and want to rock hybrid step-ins, the trangos are certainly serviceable as backpacking boots. The rocker makes their stride reasonably comfortable.

Pretty much exactly what I needed to hear. I'll go with two separate boots.

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

Microspikes are plenty good for all of those hikes, I don't think I saw a single person with crampons last year.

I'm know it's possible to summit Shasta in microspikes (particularly on the Clear Creek route), but there's no way in hell I'm going up the Red Banks at 6am in the Spring, when everything is frozen solid, wearing anything less than 12 point crampons. That's just me.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

wrong threddddd

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
My experience with microspikes was that they were good for mixed trails with rough patches of ice, as well as packed snow. But if the terrain is too steep, crampons are far better especially since you get spikes at the toes. The silicone strap for microspikes is pretty durable but I did snap one while putting them on my hiking boots. Glad Kahtoola has a good warranty though.

Anyone have good recommendations for a winter boot? I don't want something heavy like Sorels, but I'm not in mountaineering territory so I'm looking for extremely rigid boots either.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
I don't know about Shasta but you need crampons if you're going to climb Mt Hood, not just microspikes.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Look Sir Droids posted:

What do you recommend for a good 1 or 2 night hike in the Smokies? I'm trying to decide between SMNP and Mammoth Cave NP. If I can make it happen, it will be in March, April or early May. We are having twins at the end of May/early June.

For easy overnighter I would recommend: Newfound Gap parking lot -> AT North for 4 miles to Charles Bunion (check view out and turn around) -> AT South go back 1.3 miles until you are back at the Boulevard Trail sign (it is near the Icewater Spring Shelter which you will pass on the way in) - > take Boulevard Trail for 5.3 miles until you hit Mt Leconte Shelter (spend the night) - > take Alum Cave trail to the Alum Cave parking lot which is 5.5 miles down the mountain (there are a total of 5 trails to Mt LeConte, but Alum is best for views). Must sees are Myrtle Point (not far from shelter, and great for sun rises), High Top (it is the highest point on Mt Content which is the tallest freestanding mountain on the east coast), Cliff Top (not far from shelter also, and great for sun sets), Mt LeConte Lodge (you can buy lunch there, but to stay you need to get in on the lottery a year in advance), Alum Cave Bluffs, and Alum Arch. To be honest for a lot of the hike you are walking on ridges which offer awesome views.

To shorten hike by 2.6 miles skip the Bunion of course, but it is worth the extra mileage.

Also in the GSMNP you must reserve shelter spots (I think you can do it 2 weeks in advance).

To reserve shelter spots https://smokiespermits.nps.gov/

Descriptions of the each section:
Newfound Gap to Charles Bunion http://www.hikinginthesmokys.com/charliesbunion.htm
Newfound Gap to Mt LeConte http://www.hikinginthesmokys.com/leconte_boulevard.htm
Alum Cave to Mt LeConte http://www.hikinginthesmokys.com/lecontealum.htm

Only negative is these can be popular sections for day hikers. If you want something more secluded you might want to try the Cades Cove area, and Rocky Top/Thunderhead hike.

http://www.hikinginthesmokys.com/thunderhead.htm

Edit: If you only have one car, and have to make it a roundtrip, take Alum Cave up and back, but at 11 miles round trip it is really just a day hike. Actually hit me up, and I will pick you up at the Alum Cave parking lot, and drive you to your car back at Newfound Gap.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Dec 8, 2015

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Anyone use just a lightweight tarp setup for shelter? I keep thinking I want to give it a try...would have to learn how to pitch it in different weather conditions but a one pound shelter solution seems appealing at times...

I looked at Gossamer Gear's tarp offering and Mountain Laurel Designs, GG seems to be bigger but MLD is cheaper and a tad lighter. Any other thoughts?

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Levitate posted:

Anyone use just a lightweight tarp setup for shelter? I keep thinking I want to give it a try...would have to learn how to pitch it in different weather conditions but a one pound shelter solution seems appealing at times...

I looked at Gossamer Gear's tarp offering and Mountain Laurel Designs, GG seems to be bigger but MLD is cheaper and a tad lighter. Any other thoughts?

I do but I also live in a place where it's not needed 4 out of 5 trips and things like snow, or for that matter rain, are almost unheard of. It's fantastic to have as backup shelter if the need arises. If you're somewhere that waiting out weather or protection from bugs is likely to be on the cards then maybe less so.

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Levitate posted:

I'm going to be upgrading to a MLD Duomid soon. For the past couple of years I've used a Warbonnet Superfly, and it's been alright, but I'd like something that's a bit more stable in high winds. Plus the Superfly is unnecessarily large since its really made for hammock users.

For me it was a contest between the zpacks duplex tarp-only version, the mld duomid, the mld trailstar and the ymg cirriform tarp-only version. I decided on the duomid because it's going to be the easiest/quickest to setup and tear down, even if I'm a little leery of the zipper.

For my duomid I'll be adding this printed piece to make an A-frame with two hiking poles as opposed to the one-pole method the duomid is designed for. Bam, wham thank you ma'am.

Also, cuben fiber is the way to go. No more sprinkles from large rain drops. No more getting out of the tent to tighten the lines during a storm.

Comatoast fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 9, 2015

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Looking at just a straight up tarp no fancy stuff. I'll be mostly hiking in the Sierra in the summer so weather isn't a huge concern, just need a shelter for unexpected storms. Bugs might be a problem but careful site selection and a headnet probably would mitigate that...

And I'd happily go cuben if it didn't cost like $200 more than a comparable sil nylon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
MLD Patrol Tarp or MLD Grace tarp?

Add a bivy for splash and bug protection. Or no bivy to keep it light and cheap.

Comatoast fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Dec 9, 2015