Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Nuebot posted:

Yeah but games like Clash of Clans are different, the game is more focused on the PVP aspect. In games like the one I've been playing for the past few hours you spend like 50 gems for a character, sometimes it's a level 1 character that's worthless and sometimes it's a level 6 character that's objectively better then everything else in every way. You can get that guy on your first go through and just destroy everyone in the lower ranks, and anyone who runs up against you has no way to win unless they were equally lucky. In Clash of Clans at least your strategy matters to some degree.

Actually marketing studies point that the most successful F2P games are the ones where buying stuff just makes progression easier or less time-consuming, where free player can get everything similarly as the paying players do, or misses out only on some decorative/non-mandatory stuff. You need the free players to stay in game, so that there is enough player base for games to stay competitive.

That's one of the reasons why Supercell and King with their Clash of Clans and Candy Crush are basically privately owned money presses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Sic Semper Goon posted:

This! I have to keep setting Steam to run offline, as otherwise the game constantly takes a minute to reconnect with the internet, constantly loses the connection over gameplay, and takes another minute to reconnect whenever I bring up the menu screen. Just so I can learn that some clown has beaten my record in headshots.

Square Enix just keeps making the shittiest decisions:

-you have to register for and sign in to their community site to even be able to play the PC version of FF7
-Deus Ex's "augment your preorder" thing that blew up so spectacularly that they cancelled the whole thing
-Tomb Raider 2 being Xbox exclusive for a year, meaning nobody cared about it release and the game was pared down because it had to run on the Xbox 360
-Just Cause 3 tanking the performance in the name of constantly pinging their servers
-Final Fantasy 7 remake being episodic

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Xenoblade X's menu text. It's eyebleed-small and in a worse resolution than the rest of the game, and since it's an MMO-lite, those itty-bitty words are everywhere. I wear glasses and have a modestly-sized TV and my vision was still swimming after the first couple of hours.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Sleeveless posted:

Square Enix just keeps making the shittiest decisions:

-you have to register for and sign in to their community site to even be able to play the PC version of FF7
-Deus Ex's "augment your preorder" thing that blew up so spectacularly that they cancelled the whole thing
-Tomb Raider 2 being Xbox exclusive for a year, meaning nobody cared about it release and the game was pared down because it had to run on the Xbox 360
-Just Cause 3 tanking the performance in the name of constantly pinging their servers
-Final Fantasy 7 remake being episodic

Don't forget that Tomb Raider 2 released on the same day as Fallout 4!

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Final Fantasy 7 remake is episodic? What? :laffo:

You had one chance, Squenix.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

RyokoTK posted:

They explained in detail why this is the case years ago back when they were adamant they'd never make it. They didn't say episodic exactly, but the gist was that the original game brought up to modern standards would be more expensive and gargantuan than actual modern games due to the amount of poo poo they'd have to expand on. The original only got away with it's scale because the script was entirely text and the graphics were flat polygons and rendered backdrops. That was the entire reason they used to say they were never going to remake it. So them going the episodic route is a sound business decision for a game of this scale.

But even disregarding that everyone could, you know, be happy we're getting it at all. Just wait until it's done and buy the episodes in a pack if it harms your delicate sensibilities so much.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
how can you write a post like that and accuse someone else of being delicate lmao

In all seriousness, I don't know why they feel the need to expand on anything. FF7 is an immensely huge game with a lot of ridiculous cruft.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Tardcore posted:

Don't forget that Tomb Raider 2 released on the same day as Fallout 4!

And 4 days after CoD.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

RyokoTK posted:

how can you write a post like that and accuse someone else of being delicate lmao

It's not you specifically. Since the game got announced it's been nothing but bitching from the gaming community. About a game that until recently we were assured would never exist. It's just annoying to see everyone be so drat ungrateful when Square is going out of their way to make this game just for them.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
You say that like SE doesn't want to make a game that would sell a bazillion copies and make all the money.

I don't know if I'm the only one, but I am so much less likely to buy games that are episodic. I don't want to play the first half of a game now, and the next half in two years. That's why I never get into the Telltale stuff.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Esroc posted:

It's not you specifically. Since the game got announced it's been nothing but bitching from the gaming community. About a game that until recently we were assured would never exist. It's just annoying to see everyone be so drat ungrateful when Square is going out of their way to make this game just for them.

People were clamoring for it before it became clear how deep SE's organizational and communication issues ran. Now the prevailing emotion among a lot of people is totally justified dread, especially when the project manager is someone who was able to go nearly a whole loving decade without actually doing any substantive game design for what was supposed to be his magnum opus.

Everyone's going to be watching this mainly to see how it'll gently caress up, and rightfully so.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Esroc posted:

Square is going out of their way to make this game just for them.

haha no SE is just trying to make money after a bunch of disappointing games

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

kazil posted:

haha no SE is just trying to make money after a bunch of disappointing games

SE is currently so flush with cash that they need a snorkel. FFXIV and their mobile department gave them a real shot in the arm.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Oxxidation posted:

SE is currently so flush with cash that they need a snorkel. FFXIV and their mobile department gave them a real shot in the arm.

Saying that SE doesn't want to remake FF7, it's just a favor for the fans, is pretty ridiculous.

e: Or maybe it's not in the most pedantic way possible. Like, yeah, SE doesn't want to remake FF7 because it's a lot of work to turn one game into three open-world games for what I'm sure is a very good reason (:rolleyes:), but they're doing a favor for what they predict is a large amount of fans plunking down $180 each for three games.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

RyokoTK posted:

Saying that SE doesn't want to remake FF7, it's just a favor for the fans, is pretty ridiculous.

Oh yeah, no, saying that is totally dumb and that guy is a dummy for saying it. But it's definitely not an attempt to recoup cash, either.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Esroc posted:

The original only got away with it's scale because the script was entirely text and the graphics were flat polygons and rendered backdrops.

:lol:, yeah right. The massive scale of that one JRPG that was as long as any other JRPG. :rolleyes:

EDIT: I guess Xenoblade Chronicles was made using arcane magic.

MiddleOne has a new favorite as of 20:09 on Dec 7, 2015

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Oxxidation posted:

For reals? I haven't followed them in a while I guess, last I heard all their poo poo bombed.

Was the FFXIV re-launch really that successful?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Xoidanor posted:

:lol:, yeah right. The massive scale of that one JRPG that was as long as any other JRPG. :rolleyes:

I like Xenoblade and all, but most of the world was big empty spaces and super bland dungeons with cool music.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

kazil posted:

For reals? I haven't followed them in a while I guess, last I heard all their poo poo bombed.

Was the FFXIV re-launch really that successful?

It was, but their mobile department was even moreso. I think Record Keeper alone is basically a slot machine perched over their coffers with the reels stuck on 777. Their western divisions apparently aren't doing too shabby either.

A lot of the weirdly ambitious or off-beat projects that have come from them lately like Nier 2 or FF7R are a direct result of SE taking all that cash flow and diverting into stuff they apparently think would be baller to do. The main issue, again, is that Tetsuya loving Nomura is in charge of FF7R, and that man's allergic to making any sort of progress on his work unless it's at gunpoint. He's one of the few old guard designers left at SE, and that means all the problems that plagued them from FFXII on are still going strong under his leadership. Meanwhile you've got Hajime Tabata on FFXV, who's relatively fresh and apparently pulling out all the stops to provide constant status updates and circumvent SE's usual work-flow issues.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Friend of mine summed the whole FF7R situation up quite well:

quote:

Final Fantasy VII Remake will be like the Rocky Horror Picture Show attending its own midnight screening.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I don't get it. Comparing FF7 to Rocky Horror isn't really fair, FF7 is a good and widely renowned game and people loved it, although it hasn't aged well.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

According to chatter in the FF7 LP thread, Tetsuya Nomura literally did not know that he was the director of FF7R until his name appeared in a trailer. I'm sure everything will be fine.

Sudsygoat
Jul 19, 2013

RyokoTK posted:

I don't get it. Comparing FF7 to Rocky Horror isn't really fair, FF7 is a good and widely renowned game and people loved it, although it hasn't aged well.

So was Rocky Horror Picture show, except for the being a game part,and same with the not aging well. So, really, a perfect comparison. And both have led to a lot of people wearing weird outfits. The comparison just gets better with more thought.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

I like FF7 and all, but most of the world was big empty spaces and super bland dungeons with cool music.

FTFY.

But seriously, FFX showed it can be done and was done in the exact same pre-rendered+3D style as FF7. SE is like the only company that will openly flaunt how ridiculously incompetent they've become at making games. They're Bethesda without the charm.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

RyokoTK posted:

Please insert disc episode 2

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

AlphaKretin posted:

According to chatter in the FF7 LP thread, Tetsuya Nomura literally did not know that he was the director of FF7R until his name appeared in a trailer. I'm sure everything will be fine.

And one of the first things he said in an interview is that he doesn't think they should be jumping to remaking FFVII, because they haven't remade FFV yet. So not only did the director not know he was directing the game, he thinks they should be making an entirely different game.

I totally agree with him, though. FFV is kind of a huge deal as far as the history of Final Fantasy goes, since it introduces Gilgamesh, is the origin for a whole host of special abilities, is the first FF game a lot of S-E's big players worked on (including Nomura himself), and is the mechanical inspiration for a number of pretty big games the company have made in recent years. Add to that the fact the 3D remakes of III and IV were pretty well-received, and that the portable remakes of the sprite-based Final Fantasy games seem to be sort of a gold standard for remakes, and S-E's approach to the FFVII remake is... weird, and troubling.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

AlphaKretin posted:

My uncle who works at Square Enix said

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Phone posting sucks! gently caress you Awful app!! There was a different post here, it's gone now.

Xoidanor posted:

FTFY.

But seriously, FFX showed it can be done and was done in the exact same pre-rendered+3D style as FF7. SE is like the only company that will openly flaunt how ridiculously incompetent they've become at making games. They're Bethesda without the charm.

I mean, it's been a very long time since I played FF7, so I'm sure you're right. I do remember the pre rendered stuff being pretty lush and detailed (for the PS1, anyway), but not unlike FFX I suppose.

Comparing the length of pretty much any JRPG to Xenoblade is folly though; that game is filled with an unbelievable amount of completely banal side quests that net you approximately nothing for your time. If you just play the game it's not unreasonably long.

RyokoTK has a new favorite as of 05:59 on Dec 8, 2015

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Xoidanor posted:

Yeah my old ps1 save is 69 hours, and that's including getting KOTR to level 2, and all the lv4 limit breaks and ultimate weapons (except Aeris cause SHES DEAD). So no that game isn't huge.

I wonder if it'll be in 7 episodes, because that would be a great troll. FFVII-I, FVII-II...FFVII-VII.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Cleretic posted:

and that the portable remakes of the sprite-based Final Fantasy games seem to be sort of a gold standard for remakes

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. The mobile/Steam rereleases of FFV and VI look like loving GARBAGE.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Inco posted:

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. The mobile/Steam rereleases of FFV and VI look like loving GARBAGE.

And even the Advance versions, while more than serviceable ports, have completely phoned-in new content.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Xoidanor posted:

FTFY.

FFX was pretty much just a graphics update, though. They left the gameplay, pacing and voice acting alone (for better or worse). FF7R already has ham-fisted exposition in the trailer, for things that everyone who wants a FF7 remake knows by heart, and I'm sure there will be plenty of additions and changes. There's no way they're not bringing Aeris back, for one.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Inco posted:

The mobile graphics are pretty poo poo, but that's not entirely their fault; I think they underestimated how much the pixelated nature of the original graphics added to their appeal, since the entire aesthetic of the mobile ports are 'sharpened up versions of the original graphics, oh crap now we look like an RPG Maker game'.

I'll stand up to bat for the Advance and DS remakes, though. I think they did everything you'd want from a remake, with an approach that if Square didn't invent, they certainly did very well at very early:
-Either upgrade the presentation to a (then) modern standard while retaining the art style, or just keeping it the same.
-Give the writing a touch up to remove any of the painful mistakes. Retranslate, or translate in the first place, to fix any issues there.
-Fix as many of the major bugs and balance issues as possible. RPGs of a certain age have a lot bubbling under the surface, some more than others.
-Then if possible, throw in some bonus content somewhere out of the way for a bit of extra challenge. Sometimes this can be nods to other games (FFI), content that was previously cut (FFVI), or something entirely new (FFV).

Those first three points ensure everybody that what you're getting is just a more polished version of the same old game; good news for both people who want to go back for nostalgia reasons, and people who want to experience a classic they missed the first time around. That fourth point, meanwhile, targets the sort of people who would otherwise stick with the original, to provide them with a bit more content, some extra challenge for a game they might know very well. It's ideally out of the way, so as not to disturb people who just want to play the original, but it's there if you want it.

It's a method for remakes that works really well, since it respects the integrity of the original game and its fans while still providing a reason to upgrade, and it's an angle other developers use too. I'll agree that sometimes that bonus content isn't the best it could be, but a good example of that approach will always sideline it anyway.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 08:20 on Dec 8, 2015

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

My Lovely Horse posted:

There's no way they're not bringing Aeris back, for one.

Good thing the remake will come out on PC so I can make a mod to bring Aeris back alive, along with hymen breaking romance scene. It'll be the first mod on FF7 Nexus.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Leal posted:

Good thing the remake will come out on PC so I can make a mod to bring Aeris back alive, along with hymen breaking romance scene. It'll be the first mod on FF7 Nexus.

The first of so, so many.

I want a mod for FF7R where all character models are replaced by their PS1 non-battle originals.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So there's three issues I have with transformers devastation. The first being the camera, it's awful and so close up all the time that flying enemies just hover out of view shooting you, and when you're in a fight with something huge like Devastator it's really easy to get stuck on objects you can't see because there's zero indication there's a currently invisible object against the camera. Second is the scoring. It's mostly determined by damage and even if you're good at the game, the bonus for perfect health and such things is so pitiful that it's not going to get you a good score so getting high ranks on low diffficulty missions is incredibly difficult because unless you want to just stand there spamming your dodge move for an eternity, you're going to wind up with a low score for killing everything in one hit. Finally, I'm just kind of bummed out you can't play as decepticons. Not as an alternate story or anything, but just as reskins or something.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

My Lovely Horse posted:

There's no way they're not bringing Aeris back, for one.

Patch 0.1.22 Notes
- Bring Aeris back by defeating Ruby Weapon seven times

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Action Tortoise posted:

Patch 0.1.22 Notes
- Bring Aeris back by defeating Ruby Weapon seven times

Ruby WEAPON in any other battle system would be interesting, because in the game proper you could literally win the fight by casting KotR once and going off to make lunch.

Oxxidation has a new favorite as of 23:09 on Dec 8, 2015

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

KOTOR is only one disc, I doubt a licensed Bioware game is going to do much to a three disc Square game like FFVII.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ryoshi posted:

KOTOR is only one disc, I doubt a licensed Bioware game is going to do much to a three disc Square game like FFVII.

Ooh, you wily devil.