Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Friendly reminder that FF7 is just Akira

Akira is Jenova, Tetsuo is Sephiroth, Kaneda is Cloud/Zack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Zaphod42 posted:

Do you have any examples? I haven't played FF7 all the way through in forever. I don't remember having any confusion about multiple sephiroths but what with Cloud/Zack I could see the dialogue being confusing.

The "clones" thing presumably causes confusion because the party keeps running into black-cloaked dudes moaning about a reunion and sephiroth. Those sad sacks are referred to as "Sephiroth clones", just like Cloud is by Hojo. So presumably people are wondering, when they run into "Sephiroth", whether it was really Sephiroth or just a more successful 'clone.' Or if they've all got Jenova cells, whether the Jenova cells are transforming the hunched over "clones" into a much more accurate Sephiroth "clone." Except none of them are actually "clones" as most people think of them, so it wouldn't make sense for them to look exactly like Sephiroth.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Since they are fighting in the Lifestream by that point, I'm pretty sure the Cloud vs Sephiroth "final battle" the one after Safer Sephiroth, actually did happen, and it wasn't just a metaphor for Cloud finally overcoming his demons (which Advent Children poo poo on), because reality does some funky poo poo once it gets to the Lifestream part.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Schwartzcough posted:

The "clones" thing presumably causes confusion because the party keeps running into black-cloaked dudes moaning about a reunion and sephiroth. Those sad sacks are referred to as "Sephiroth clones", just like Cloud is by Hojo. So presumably people are wondering, when they run into "Sephiroth", whether it was really Sephiroth or just a more successful 'clone.' Or if they've all got Jenova cells, whether the Jenova cells are transforming the hunched over "clones" into a much more accurate Sephiroth "clone." Except none of them are actually "clones" as most people think of them, so it wouldn't make sense for them to look exactly like Sephiroth.

Yeah a better term would be Remakes, as they're failed attempts to redo/recapture the magic that made Sephiroth what he was in the first place.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Kingtheninja posted:

I'm sorry wait when did this happen? I definitely don't remember this in the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afuKSfF1rHg

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah a better term would be Remakes, as they're failed attempts to redo/recapture the magic that made Sephiroth what he was in the first place.

"Gene therapy experiments" is a mouthful so yeah remakes works well enough.

Recreations? Same difference.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Zaphod42 posted:

"Gene therapy experiments" is a mouthful so yeah remakes works well enough.

Recreations? Same difference.

HD Re-releases

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

mycot posted:

But PS4 let's you go all Bravely Default and turn off encounters/multiply XP etc.

You can do that with Steam too, it just requires you to take a few minutes to download them separately.

Madmarker posted:

I mean, you are coming close to your last chance to REALLY relive what the game was like before Square ruins it with the remake.

My concern is that Cloud, Sephiroth, etc. are all icons now, not characters. Square is gonna go through the old script and Cloud's thing is being cool and moody, so they'll say "Oh, we can't have Cloud wearing a dress, oh we can't have Cloud emoting, we need to cut that out because that isn't the Cloud that sells action figures, we can't have that." I just can't see Square leaving the story mostly untouched and not changing it for the worse.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The recent translation use "Copies" instead of "Clones" which is also what the Japanese version uses.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Platypus Farm posted:

The problem with making everything crystal clear is that it completely removes the need for discussion and debate on the plot. People are STILL talking about the finer points of Souls games plots because they're interesting and obtuse. If you took everything in FF7 that people talk about, which is most of the confusing and/or mistranslated poo poo, then you have a very straightforward storyline that isn't very unique at all.

Stuff in Souls game is deliberately obfuscated though. FF7's story is obfuscated to English-speaking players due to a shoddy translation.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QY1Vetd7OCs

This is the best battle theme in any FF and I will vehemently disagree with you if you think otherwise.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
They literally mentioned cloud cross dressing as still in, like you're hoping it fails at this point.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Fister Roboto posted:

Stuff in Souls game is deliberately obfuscated though. FF7's story is obfuscated to English-speaking players due to a shoddy translation.

Right, which is sort of my point. If it all becomes crystal clear, I have the feeling the storyline will lose a lot of the weird interesting bits that people yammer about. Not saying that's good or bad, but just my take.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Fister Roboto posted:

They really should have redone the translation. Like, FF6 and Chrono Trigger get entirely new ones on GBA/DS when they didn't need it at all but this doesn't on PS4? Humbug.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Gologle posted:

This is the best battle theme in any FF and I will vehemently disagree with you if you think otherwise.

I like the FFVIII battle/boss themes better

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
It's probably for the best that young me didn't really get how hosed up and horrifying Jenova is.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wendell posted:

They really should have redone the translation. Like, FF6 and Chrono Trigger get entirely new ones on GBA/DS when they didn't need it at all but this doesn't on PS4? Humbug.

The PS4 port is just a straight port of the PC version as opposed to a genuine re-release. Which is dumb but welp.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
So what are the chances that the LR PC port is gonna be decent when it comes out on Thursday?

I'm that guy who loved the other FF13 games for how affably stupid they are and deliberately put off getting LR when the PC port was announced.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Even if FF7 had a good translation there still would have been years of "how to bring back Aeris" rumors, just saying.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mycot posted:

Even if FF7 had a good translation there still would have been years of "how to bring back Aeris" rumors, just saying.

Well, yeah. Right alongside General Leo and Nei.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Tae posted:

They literally mentioned cloud cross dressing as still in,

When was that mentioned? I didn't see it.

quote:

like you're hoping it fails at this point.

No I'm not, I'm just really cautious about getting hyped for this game because SE has a mixed history to say the least. Of course I want the game to be good,it would be stupid not to want the game to be good. Good games make me happy and I like playing them and I like saying that they are good, and I would love to be able to say "I was worried they would gently caress it up but drat they actually pulled it off"
You shouldn't be so eager to jump down someone's throat just because they are worried the game won't turn out right, it's a bad habit.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

mycot posted:

Actually, if it did have a good translation, the rumors would have been about "how to bring back Aerith".

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Gologle posted:

Help Im Alive posted:

I like the FFVIII battle/boss themes better

They're both amazing soundtracks (especially for MIDI) and we can all agree Uematsu is a genius.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Madmarker posted:

It is somewhat implied at the end before they go into the crater.

I distinctly remember it was stated in Ultimania or something, that they originally wanted to have Tifa and Cloud coming out of the chocobo stables on the highwind and they thought that was just too obvious

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Augus posted:

When was that mentioned? I didn't see it.

quote:

Next, they ask if that means we’ll get to see Cloud in his cross-dressing appearance. Nomura responds with a laugh saying yes, the cross-dressing scene is in the game, but they haven’t done the design for it yet.

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/12/0...FCkccg3YoUd6.99

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Motto posted:

Next, they ask if that means we’ll get to see Cloud in his cross-dressing appearance. Nomura responds with a laugh saying yes, the cross-dressing scene is in the game, but they haven’t done the design for it yet.

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/12/0...FCkccg3YoUd6.99

Well that's good at least.
I'm feeling better about this game already!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A lot of my concerns about FFVIIR not being goofy enough were put to rest when fuckin' Wedge showed up in the trailer because seriously.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Really curious how they'll tackle the whole "AVALANCHE is a terrorist organization trying to destroy the affluent world's way of life"-angle. That stuff wasn't a huge deal back in the nineties but I could see it causing some controversy these days.

Oh, that and the whole Hojo trying to get Red to rape Aeris thing and all that.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
There is a Biggs and Wedge in basically everything FF.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Friendly reminder that FF7 is just Akira

Akira is Jenova, Tetsuo is Sephiroth, Kaneda is Cloud/Zack
Good, Akira kicks rear end.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

8 year old me had it pretty figured out just from playing the game so I don't think it's as confusing as you found it to be? You spend the climax of the Temple of the Ancients, which you've spent the whole disc chasing a super scary extra magical version of Sephiroth from Shinra HQ to there, learning that Jenova's a shapeshifting lady Lavos that disguises herself as things to infiltrate societies to eventually eat them up. It might be ambiguous during the first part of the game but they solve that mystery right there. All the clues like him dropping pieces of Jenova behind him and the fact that he's nowhere near as strong in the flash back (Seriously, he phases through walls and poo poo during the game) fall together there.

We could argue for days with no way to prove what you did or didn't get as an 8 year old but the translation is actively bad and the story in that game is fairly muddled so if you figured out the whole jenova back story just from playing the game and not reading websites you are pretty much alone since it literally does not contain much of the text that explains that stuff.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Good, Akira kicks rear end.

Agreed

If I was an RPG developer in the early 90s I'd probably be inspired by it too.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

We could argue for days with no way to prove what you did or didn't get as an 8 year old but the translation is actively bad and the story in that game is fairly muddled so if you figured out the whole jenova back story just from playing the game and not reading websites you are pretty much alone since it literally does not contain much of the text that explains that stuff.

Ummmm, your going to have to cite your sources for your argument that the translation is actively bad from no less than four peer reviewed academic journals and go into much more detail to support your thesis. I expect your report on my desk no later than Thursday.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Does the title of the FF7 LP thread count as a proper citation source?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Gologle posted:

Ummmm, your going to have to cite your sources for your argument that the translation is actively bad from no less than four peer reviewed academic journals and go into much more detail to support your thesis. I expect your report on my desk no later than Thursday.

Jenova gets one line in the entire game and it's:

"Beacause, you are... a puppet."

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Excels posted:

I distinctly remember it was stated in Ultimania or something, that they originally wanted to have Tifa and Cloud coming out of the chocobo stables on the highwind and they thought that was just too obvious

If this was a thing, it was so poorly communicated that I am not surprised no one remembers it. Why not just have them wake up in bed together like tv shows, movies, and even other games at the time by the same developer did?

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I feel like in the 20 years between the original and the remake should be enough time for discussion. Now we can get a final and unambiguous time line of who and what sephiroth was at various points.

See, it's all in the execution. We could learn more about the murkier plot points with competent storytelling (well-written conversations, properly directed scenes, etc.) or it'll be a 25-minute anime monologue. Both would fill in the blanks that have been left halfway out-of-text, but clearly not in the same way.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I can't wait to see Cloud and Tifa actually have sex in the final fantasy vii remake on the ps4, pc, and xbox one

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Kainser posted:

Really curious how they'll tackle the whole "AVALANCHE is a terrorist organization trying to destroy the affluent world's way of life"-angle. That stuff wasn't a huge deal back in the nineties but I could see it causing some controversy these days.

I doubt there will be problems with that, pretty much all gaming controversies have been about superficial stuff like blood and sex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Nobody cares about video game terrorists unless it's specifically referencing Not-ISIS and other recent terrorist groups.