Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Tortolia posted:

Reading all the spergs projecting their hopes and dreams into Star Citizen really takes me back. It's like the great vaporware MMORPG days of Dawn and Horizons and the like, where communities grew and projected unrealistic game design goals upon pending MMOs and in many cases were strung along by developers taking advantage of a naive fan base. If the games ever did come out they sure as hell were nowhere near what was promised and often were buggy, boring messes like Anarchy Online or Star Wars Galaxies.

Between all of this, the hilarious forums drama, massive quantity of Derek Smart posts, etc..it feels like the early 2000s all over again. Makes me nostalgic for the glory days of Lum the Mad / Slow News Day / Corpnews and all the fun and drama that came from those communities and games.

When this goes belly up, the cult is going to explode in the largest self congratulatory circle jerk before fading back to insignificance. You're going to have a bunch of threads with people consoling each other about how brave they were to burn through their life savings on a bunch of jpegs to take a risk on a life changing project.

Sure I've lost $5,000 I could have spent on my kids education but I learnt valuable life lessons and took a chance. The people who didn't spend any money on this are the real losers for being unsupportive and not daring to dream big.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpunkyRedKnight
Oct 12, 2000

Star Citizen: where nothing is ever a serious issue.

Do you believe this is a serious issue?

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

This thread is an opsec disaster. Who's in charge here.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Dusty Lens posted:

Check the secret thread, we just updated the OP

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

SpunkyRedKnight posted:

Star Citizen: where nothing is ever a serious issue.

Do you believe this is a serious issue?

Everything is fine!
:shepicide:

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler

Tippis posted:

Suddenly v ≠ ∫a dt, nor is J = ∫F dt . It's like a whole new paradigm of physics. :stonk:

Also, apparently, everyone is flying acoustic modems rather than spaceships, so that might have something to do with the sudden disappearance of impulse and momentum.

Need to nitpick this.

J = ∫F dx

Joules are newton meters, not newton seconds.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Dusty Lens posted:

Octopode, duh!

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Octopode, duh!

He's been playing his part way to eagerly if you ask me. I think he's about to go natives.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

aleksendr posted:

He's been playing his part way to eagerly if you ask me. I think he's about to go natives.

Considering his list of credentials, I wouldn't be surprised if he turned out to be a mailroom clerk.

Crash74
May 11, 2009
I know this was from like ten pages back but i had to do this to the gif AP posted:
https://gifsound.com/?gif=www.ultraimg.com/images/g8PjLW.gif&v=saalGKY7ifU&s=56

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Considering his list of credentials, I wouldn't be surprised if he turned out to be a mailroom clerk.

Octopode is the Star Citizen of people.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

xanif posted:

Need to nitpick this.

J = ∫F dx

Joules are newton meters, not newton seconds.

J as in the quantity impulse, which is kgm/s or Ns, not the unit Joule.

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

He's actually Croberts which explains why he knows so much about so many things and is also so wrong about all of it.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Crash74 posted:

I know this was from like ten pages back but i had to do this to the gif AP posted:
https://gifsound.com/?gif=www.ultraimg.com/images/g8PjLW.gif&v=saalGKY7ifU&s=56

Ghost ride the space-whip, the newest SC feature

Also:

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

comatose posted:

He's actually Croberts which explains why he knows so much about so many things and is also so wrong about all of it.

I'd he is Chris Roberts he should change his name from Octopode to Octopedo

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

aleksendr posted:

I know war is hell and the depravity of humanity know no bounds, but i think most soldiers would recoil at the idea of using those agaist infantry, kind of like white phosphorous today,

what if I'm roleplaying as space Israel? then I demand to use my space white phosphorous laser weapons

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Sarsapariller posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3vsav1/top_secret_new_tech_december_16_livestream_p/

Speculation? Does anyone care?

I'm going to guess that it'll involve procedural planets, because the closest competitor to Star Citizen just released a procedural planet generator and it would be just like Roberts to ditch all of the work already done on planetside to pursue yet another tech.

I know what it is. It's bollocks. And Ben was just talking it up.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

This is an excellent post

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

So having played the Alpha 2.0 for a couple hours now, it's already better than boring pile of poo poo Elite: Dangerous which I wasted 15 bucks on.

Yup, I said it.

Of course! SC is designed for spergs with the attention span of a gold fish

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

D_Smart posted:

I know what it is.

Well.. Don't leave us hanging, ruin it!

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

MilesK posted:

Well.. Don't leave us hanging, ruin it!

He cant. Other peoples living wage are at risk.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Derek thank you for that special insight.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

what if I'm roleplaying as space Israel? then I demand to use my space white phosphorous laser weapons
Playing space Israel in a game dominated by space Rome is probably not a good move.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

tooterfish posted:

This is clearly pre-alpha, it's perfectly normal and you just don't understand how procurement works.

Well, it's made in China, and Sandi says they're of better quality than US made goods.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread
I put $35 towards this two years ago. How do I get in on crashing ships into other ships? I probably have whatever the cheapest ship is, if that makes a difference.

Also, sorry for never adding you on steam eonwe, my wife and I became hermits for awhile.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
Just gonna leave this right here: http://vmashup.com/zr5fBdTj

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

New alpha patch just dropped. I updated and my client crashed within the first 2 minutes...

time to mothball this thing until the next patch

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

D_Smart posted:

Well, it's made in China, and Sandi says they're of better quality than US made goods.

For the same amount of money? Of course!

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler

Tippis posted:

J as in the quantity impulse, which is kgm/s or Ns, not the unit Joule.

Well then I'm just an idiot :D

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Dusty Lens posted:

Truth be told there's not a lot of OP to SEC, just a couple of us lads enjoying a bit of the good old ultra violence. We're "organizing" - mostly just having a laugh really - on IRC if you want to drop by. But I'm afraid you'll be disappointed if you go in expecting some secret planing going on, it's just random trolling nothing that would ruin anything even if we talk about it here.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Correct me if I'm wrong here.

Seems like (correctly or not) multicrew is what everyone makes the biggest deal about in terms of technical difficulty and just overall awesomeness. Being able to have one sperglord and half a dozen of his sperghive cram themselves into one ship and then go tootling about the universe, walking around inside it while it's doing 300 RPM barrel rolls, manning the turrets, getting up in the middle of a battle to use the spaceshitter, etc.

But by doing so it seems like you're indisputably gimping your effectiveness to actually do content. Maybe not in an Idris or a Javelin, but in any other ship, at the very least. Can anyone put forth an argument that, if you've got five guys, scenario A is going to be better at rolling content than scenario B or C:

Connie scenario A:
PC Pilot, PC copilot/engineering/shields dipshit/whatever, two PC turret gunners, one PC in the P52

Connie scenario B:
Pilot, 3 or 4 hired NPCs in the Connie, 4 PCs each piloting Hornets (or even Auroras, for that matter).

Connie scenario C:
Five PCs, each in their own Connie, each with 3 or 4 hired NPCs.

It seems like the gameplay that everyone is making GBS threads their pants over will be completely inefficient at doing anything, and after a month or two will be reserved almost solely for people that are RPing, or just goofing off and not really trying to do anything, or people that have kids they can force to man their turrets under threats of beatings.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Take discussions of the Ramming Insurgency to the off-site forums, please.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Imagine if you will, an adult in the future, laying on the therapists counch,

"Well, I guess I really started feeling this way when dad found Star Citizen...."

Spent a childhood currying for favor and love from a fat whale star citizen, who only showed you appreciation when you were able to shoot down an AI space ship.

Lol

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

:golfclap:

FrankieGoes posted:

...people that have kids they can force to man their turrets under threats of beatings.

Keep in mind someone already posted a picture of someone dedicating their young toddler as their gunner.

I'm sure there are less stable people out there who would use their influence over the young and weak to maximize their sperg-per-second.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

1stGear posted:

Take discussions of the Ramming Insurgency to the off-site forums, please.

Are you in the ramming insurgency?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

FrankieGoes posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong here.

Seems like (correctly or not) multicrew is what everyone makes the biggest deal about in terms of technical difficulty and just overall awesomeness. Being able to have one sperglord and half a dozen of his sperghive cram themselves into one ship and then go tootling about the universe, walking around inside it while it's doing 300 RPM barrel rolls, manning the turrets, getting up in the middle of a battle to use the spaceshitter, etc.

But by doing so it seems like you're indisputably gimping your effectiveness to actually do content. Maybe not in an Idris or a Javelin, but in any other ship, at the very least. Can anyone put forth an argument that, if you've got five guys, scenario A is going to be better at rolling content than scenario B or C:

Connie scenario A:
PC Pilot, PC copilot/engineering/shields dipshit/whatever, two PC turret gunners, one PC in the P52

Connie scenario B:
Pilot, 3 or 4 hired NPCs in the Connie, 4 PCs each piloting Hornets (or even Auroras, for that matter).

Connie scenario C:
Five PCs, each in their own Connie, each with 3 or 4 hired NPCs.

It seems like the gameplay that everyone is making GBS threads their pants over will be completely inefficient at doing anything, and after a month or two will be reserved almost solely for people that are RPing, or just goofing off and not really trying to do anything, or people that have kids they can force to man their turrets under threats of beatings.

Supposedly players will be more effective than NPCs at certain tasks. The problem is that there is no way of knowing (nor is there any way it's feasible) that a PC manning a turret will be more effective than a PC manning a separate starship. Unless there are aspects that prevent multiple ships from being an option (perhaps range or endurance) then having more ships will always be the better choice.

Now imagine how lovely boarding will be if your job is to wait for an assault to happen.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3vurls/10_for_the_chairman_episode_71/cxqvude

Apparently I scared myself off.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

many people in the thread posted:

Guns totally work in a vacuum

Point thoroughly made.

aleksendr posted:

If portable laser where possible (And i mean actual laser gun you can give grunts with 2 weeks training and have them care for it without blowing themselves or damaging it) it would brobably be outlawed by some convention as "inhumane". From my rough understanding (and i'm no expert, feel free to clarify or expand) any laser powerfull enough to be deadly (as in 1-2 hit kill) for a human would not cause a clean, cauterized hole like we see in movies but more like a microsteam explosion from the water in your cells instanly vaporizing, killing you by exploding your tissue from inward. People survinvg laser hit would have hugle chunky holes in the muscle tissue and any grazing hit would have you look as if you had a clause encounter with a flammenwerfer.

I know war is hell and the depravity of humanity know no bounds, but i think most soldiers would recoil at the idea of using those agaist infantry, kind of like white phosphorous today,

That's where the secondary issues come in - for one, the concept of "1-2 hit" doesn't really apply when you're talking about directed energy. Unlike a ballistic weapon, which fires a distinct projectile that packs (and delivers) its energy in a single flying chunk (aka, the bullet), a laser weapon delivers energy over a period of time. Whether that period of time is 1/10th of a second or two seconds or 1/100th of a second, a certain amount of energy is delivered over time and can be expressed as energy over time - typically, you'll see lasers classified by their wattage because of this (one watt being one joule over one second). Technically, you could describe a ballistic weapon's effects in the same way, but 1.) it would be very odd and not make a whole lot of sense except in an abstract way, and 2.) ballistic weapons deliver energy in discrete packages, unlike a laser (or similar directed energy weapon).

If it helps, you can think of it as the difference between a BB or pellet gun versus a water pistol vs a hose. If you pull the trigger while sweeping the muzzle across a target, the BB gun will always fire a discrete BB. Whether you sweep faster or slower, the BB will deliver its energy all at once to a single point of impact, the size of which varies based on the BB. The water pistol will spray a discrete amount of water, sure, but the area and density of what gets wet will vary depending on the speed of rotation of the muzzle. The same is true of the hose - while the hose is a continuous stream, the density of water it sprays in any one particular spot will still be less as you sweep it faster across the area, even though the total amount coming out of the hose is the same no matter how fast you turn it.

This is why, fundamentally, there isn't a real difference between a continuous laser versus one which "pulses", though there may be some advantages to be had from doing the latter.

For amusement and a possible additional enlightenment for why thermal energy alone is inefficient, see a red hot nickel ball placed on top of a steak .

Watched it? That's what a steak looks like after about a minute and a half in contact with a very hot (starting somewhere in the order of 1000 degrees C) ball of nickel. The thermodynamics involved are a bit beyond the scope here, and you're probably want a real physicist to ballpark some actual numbers, but there's some definite damage and injury to be had there from the transfer of thermal energy. You wouldn't need a ball of nickel; a sufficiently powerful laser pointed at that spot would do approximately the same thing, although it wouldn't dig itself a crater quite so neatly. For all practical purposes, to be effective the laser would have to be powerful enough to transfer energy to the target orders of magnitude more quickly than a thousand degree ball of metal in contact with the target would.

As aleksandr point out, if the laser is hot enough it would essentially cause the water in the tissue to boil and rupture in very short order while the tissue itself blackens and crisps. This is actually a problem from the standpoint of being an efficient weapon, and this is where we get to the ablative issue - skin cells, water, fat, whatever, that ends up superheated to the point of boiling and evaporating doesn't go away right away. Do you remember the smoke coming out from under the nickel ball in the video? That smoke, against a laser, would serve as a kind of ablative shield, interdicting the beam of the laser where it passes through the smoke and absorbing some of the energy and preventing it from hitting the target. Eventually, as the smoke thickens enough, most of the laser energy is absorbed by the smoke which, while still very hot, no longer transfers heat efficiently to the underlying flesh (which has, in this process, been neatly and thoroughly cauterized).

This means that the efficiency of the laser drops off pretty much instantly; much of the energy intended for the target ends up being wasted to ablation rather than transferring further in (it has poor "penetration") and even efficiency-saving measures, like "pulsing" a laser beam (transferring the same amount of energy over time, but using a repeating shorter duration, higher-intensity beam rather than a continuous lower-intensity one) don't fix the underlying problems, only mitigate them to some degree.

Such a weapon would be exceedingly painful to be struck by, leave difficult to treat, disgusting, and slow-healing wounds, and be grossly inefficient in terms of transferring energy to your target. Also pointless - if you've got the kind of power source to power (and cool) a hand-held laser of that magnitude, you've got the power source necessary to operate a rail gun or similar weapon that doesn't have all the nasty little war crime flavoured drawbacks.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

D_Smart posted:

I know what it is. It's bollocks. And Ben was just talking it up.

Was my prediction close at least?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Poor Zuri595.

• Locked thread