Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
REDDIT: "Positive response needed for my mental health"

quote:

"So like most of you, I started out with a simple game package (Arbiter) and figured I was good. I now have a Gladiator, SH, Retaliator, and Cutlass Red. I melted my recent Vanguard purchases (Harbinger & BUKs) to purchase an Endeavor Hope (No Regrets). Now I hear there is an unmelt system in the works and my addictive side has already set aside my Holiday bonus money to repurchase the Vanguard and Retaliator Mods I previously melted for credit. Why I have such a war inside my head over going from five to six ships is unknown at this time, but looking at all the large fleet owners out there does make me fool (sic) much better for some reason. Yes, I am an addict looking for enablement and support. So please tell me this is totally reasonable."

I genuinely feel bad for this dude. But one man's suicide risk is another's man's next Million Mile High Club member... And Chris and Sandi are like Senator Clay David when it comes to fundraising...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

G0RF posted:

I genuinely feel bad for this dude. But one man's suicide risk is another's man's next Million Mile High Club member... And Chris and Sandi are like Senator Clay David when it comes to fundraising...

for christ's sake they are all enablers in the comments

"yeah bro! welcome to the club! spend away!"

For that much money one could go on a vacation overseas and have memories for a lifetime, or you could buy a hospital spaceship that doesn't exist that could be bought for free in the future.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

what if I'm roleplaying as space Israel? then I demand to use my space white phosphorous laser weapons
Croberts hasn't expressly stated space Israel's right to exist, so that's not a feature yet.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Justin Tyme posted:

For that much money one could go on a vacation overseas and have memories for a lifetime, or you could buy a hospital spaceship that doesn't exist that could be bought for free in the future.

When Star Citizen comes out you won't need vacations.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

They'll take vacations to Terra with their VR headsets and nutritional IV drip

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIzFuycHn_0&t=20s

Actually watching this scene again, how close a parallel it is to Derek Smart backing Star Citizen. They even refund his money and try to cover it up.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Dec 8, 2015

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

D_Smart posted:

Well, it's made in China, and Sandi says they're of better quality than US made goods.

Why does Sandi hate America and Americans so much? Oh yeah, she's Australian.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Supposedly players will be more effective than NPCs at certain tasks.

Sure, but there's absolutely no possible way a PC connie gunner (with the limited visibility, firing arc, and weapons) could possibly be more effective than an NPC connie gunner PLUS a PC Hornet pilot (with multiple guns, missiles, presenting an extra target, etc). Maybe if the NPC gunner spends 3/4 of his time shooting your own hull, I guess.

quote:

Unless there are aspects that prevent multiple ships from being an option (perhaps range or endurance)

Which I would say is basically impossible. People that only have Hornets or Auroras (or whatever single seater) want to go places and do stuff too. You can't lock them out of any significant portions of the game to try and force them to spend their time sitting in the bottom turret of a connie, staring at their own dick for hours.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Supposedly players will be more effective than NPCs at certain tasks. The problem is that there is no way of knowing (nor is there any way it's feasible) that a PC manning a turret will be more effective than a PC manning a separate starship. Unless there are aspects that prevent multiple ships from being an option (perhaps range or endurance) then having more ships will always be the better choice.

Now imagine how lovely boarding will be if your job is to wait for an assault to happen.

A good designer might be able to balance a class of ships along a duo (Pilot/Gun-engineer) model being equal to a pair of single seater and maybe superior for some specific tasks. Some activity in the game (mining, salvaging, research ?) could be designed as doable alone, but better in pair, one person flying and the other playing the console minigame. Even a Trio ship might be doable, One main vessel with 2 parasite fighters/Turrets (Like in I-WAR 2) having better acceleration/shields/weapon payload than regular single seaters in exchange of no Quantum/cruise Drive

As for PVP ship boarding, unless there is a way to disable ships without killing them (i have not seen any so far) the point is moot right now, since except for ships with a ramp, any boarder would be shot to bits while performing the long animation of entering the ship.

Defending agaist a boarding party seem also pointless as assuming you win, your still stuck at the mercy of the other boarding ship guns in a disabled ship so your best bet is to conter-board and hope your more lucky.

Best tactic i see is running a "short bus" full of boarder (dont seem to be a limit on how many players you can stack on a ship) and simply enter single file and die untill the defender run out of ammo.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

FrankieGoes posted:

Why does Sandi hate America and Americans so much? Oh yeah, she's Australian.
How dare you- she's of Native American ancestry (mother's side)!

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Omi-Polari posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIzFuycHn_0&t=20s

Actually watching this scene again, how close a parallel it is to Derek Smart backing Star Citizen. They even refund his money and try to cover it up.
Who does that make Richter?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1FS_vKJl8U

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

G0RF posted:

How dare you- she's of Native American ancestry (mother's side)!

now Sandi is going to wear a ceremonial headdress and conveniently find a CERTIFICATE OF LIVE NATIVE AMERICAN BIRTH written in crayon under the desk on the next stream

thanks

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

One possible way to make turret gunners more effective is the ability to put a missile pod/locking pod on one of the gun slots so you can fire missiles behind you at multiple targets and stuff. Seems fitting for a missile boat especially considering the turrets are laggy pieces of poo poo.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Well, they are nothing if not consistent in their lack of quality. This Star Citizen patch is missing the inner ring and has similarly awful lettering.

My patches arrived today!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
There are full grown men with jobs who have sewed star citizen patches to jackets and watched wing commander

What a time we live in

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

G0RF posted:

:smith:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I jack it to wing commander and I edge all the way till they push burning wreckage off the flight desk then I brick all over the monitor onto the face of that guy who was also on Scooby doo and without a paddle

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

If someone put a gun to my head and told me to make a spaceship vidya game with multicrew that was fun and engaging on a budget I'd probably opt for something like Planetside 2 tbh.

Just put a bunch of crew slots on the ship, add in some better animations/so on for entering and exiting a modeled cockpit, gently caress the rest of the ship and give the dude who's using a second seat a big gun/utility slot to use and not much else. 99% of the time the fun will be had by the dude in the seat and the job of the guy flying the ship will be to make sure that all of his guys have optimal angles to do their thing. These absurd tin cans with turret stations stapled on like afterthoughts to accent how cool the hallways and benches in the kitchen look in screenshots have proven themselves to be absurd.

Best case scenario you can get out of your Constellation's seat long enough to bunny hop for a few seconds before you have something more useful to do/get clipped out of the ship.

Even if they brought in more money from promising the ability to walk from your pilot's seat to the space shitter at launch I can't say that I'm convinced the juice is worth the squeeze. Spending that money trying to catch up on the insane engineering workload presented just so the guy who, honestly, is going to just keep his rear end in the turret a hallway to walk through to get to the turret at the cost of making the game doesn't really seem like a good deal.

But what do I know.

Edit: I'm sorry hold on I'll make a joke about pubes give me a second chance.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Will the next citcon be at Jonestown?

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

jaegerx posted:

next citcon

Ok that's a pretty good joke I'll go with that instead of pubes. Though the original post was better tbh.

Eonwe posted:

I jack it to wing commander and I edge all the way till they push burning wreckage off the flight desk then I brick all over the monitor onto the face of that guy who was also on Scooby doo and without a paddle

Dusty Lens fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Dec 8, 2015

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Justin Tyme posted:

One possible way to make turret gunners more effective is the ability to put a missile pod/locking pod on one of the gun slots so you can fire missiles behind you at multiple targets and stuff. Seems fitting for a missile boat especially considering the turrets are laggy pieces of poo poo.

It really is a fine line of balance. If NPC are semi-good, then Beer position than "Another player is always better in a single seater" will hold true, but if NPC are poo poo, then the multi-sperg chariots are a trap option, since unless you crew them they are just fat and happy targets. You can also be sure than in a 3 single seater VS a full turret Connie battle, the single seaters are all going to attack on the same vector, be it above or below, thus making one turret always useless.

How long untill they sell NPC with various stats in 5 pack cards, one rare, one uncommon minimum, 4.99$ a piece ? The whales would go nuts over rare "waifu" material NPC cards

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

Eonwe posted:

cant wait to shoot some glue from my wick with you in space

see you in the 'verse friend

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Dusty Lens posted:

If someone put a gun to my head and told me to make a spaceship vidya game with multicrew that was fun and engaging on a budget I'd probably opt for something like Planetside 2 tbh.

Yea being the bomber in the Liberator was pretty fun. Even being the tail gunner was OK because you could still bomb stuff on the ground depending on the loadout.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Justin Tyme posted:

I love this one:

"The money spent on ships goes directly into game development, so it's ok"

They have completely bought in to this like it's different than buying DLC, like, that for other games all the money bought DOESN'T go into making games.

I just don't get the logic.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Mirificus posted:

Well, they are nothing if not consistent in their lack of quality. This Star Citizen patch is missing the inner ring and has similarly awful lettering.

We had better looking unofficial patches made for summer camp staff during my time with the Royal Canadian Air Cadets with 4 colors at around 5$ each.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Yea being the bomber in the Liberator was pretty fun. Even being the tail gunner was OK because you could still bomb stuff on the ground depending on the loadout.

Yeah then just add in some poo poo like ECM options and find someway, against all odds, to come up with good vehicle weapons that aren't boring and terrible and you can bang out multicrew ships that provide a unique battlefield role without needing to spend 4 years trying to get the Freelancer out the door.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Dusty Lens posted:

Yeah then just add in some poo poo like ECM options and find someway, against all odds, to come up with good vehicle weapons that aren't boring and terrible and you can bang out multicrew ships that provide a unique battlefield role without needing to spend 4 years trying to get the Freelancer out the door.

Yea, let the tail gunner have more countermeasures options / shield control and you are basically set for a 3 person ship. Anyone else can just be a passenger and shut up. Or shoot their guns out of a space porthole lol

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Yea, let the tail gunner have more countermeasures options / shield control and you are basically set for a 3 person ship. Anyone else can just be a passenger and shut up. Or shoot their guns out of a space porthole lol

literally Tribes lol

they're doing something that's never been done before guys!!

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Right. Then make the whole thing in Unreal, throw in some nice high visibility cockpits, build the whole thing for VR support with stabilized turrets that don't make you want to puke and go the economic route towards Freelancer 2.0 whilst entertaining yourself with death threats from Star Citizen backers.

You get it all. You can just hop out of your cockpit in space if there's a need for EVA. Eject the cockpits if you need to abandon ship. Share a ship inventory without needing to spend 20 million dollars on figuring out how to get someone to walk from a chair to a container in order to pick up a pistol instead of just hitting I.

Then when you hit 100 million brought in you can allot 40 million to building yet more content for your existing and functional game rather than hoping that you can get the whole thing out the door before your treasury collapses and most of your promised vehicles, let alone the game itself, is still sitting in the far, far, far dusty corner of the backburner.

But I'm one of those suckers who pretended Chris Roberts was saying that we should expect Freelancer 2.0 back when he was saying nothing at all.

cl_gibcount 9999 posted:

literally Tribes lol

Yeah these ideas are all old as dirt. Unreal Tournament/Tribes era. The modern take it making it so you can walk between the shitter and the turret rather than just hopping into the turret.

In a game promising the galaxy the holdup in development is the ten feet between the front door and the pilot's seat.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

OhDearGodNo posted:

I love this one:

"The money spent on ships goes directly into game development, so it's ok"

They have completely bought in to this like it's different than buying DLC, like, that for other games all the money bought DOESN'T go into making games.

I just don't get the logic.

You see, publishers steal 50% of the money that enters the project and advertisers get another 40% or so.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

cl_gibcount 9999 posted:

literally Tribes lol

Ww2 online did this all 15 years ago. It didn't include cross hairs too.

Well I guess they don't have :lesnick: cargo commander

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

FrankieGoes posted:

Why does Sandi hate America and Americans everyone so much? Oh yeah, she's Australian.

FTFY

Seriously though, most Australians think America and Americans are fine, but don't get them started about those evil Chinese foreign investment firms.

Still, hating on Sandi/CIG for sourcing merch from China is kinda dumb. Pretty much every consumer electronic good is made in China, at least in part. My microphone is "designed in Australia, assembled in China" and it's of very decent quality and highly reviewed. The issue here is that Sandi likely sourced it out to the company who had the cheapest possible price and didn't give a flying gently caress about quality.

I guess the point I'm making is Sandi hates SC backers and is happy to take their bucks in return for horrible >$1 junk.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
Games like Battlefield have been doing balanced multi crew vehicle for years where players not driving can still contribute but what CIG is totally innovative because paaaaaarp.

You don't even need to balance it, just let the second or third player control say a lovely drone that can hack communications or repair shields or shoot dudes for minimal damage so that everybody feels like they're contributing.

aleksendr posted:

How long untill they sell NPC with various stats in 5 pack cards, one rare, one uncommon minimum, 4.99$ a piece ? The whales would go nuts over rare "waifu" material NPC cards

I am legitimately surprised that they haven't taken and implemented the worst of mobile F2P gatcha games.

Use real money for a lottery ticket that gets you anything from a paaaaaarp emote to a capital ship!
Use real money to fund a 'bank or magic tech' that allows them access to higher interest or production rates etc!
Use real money and ensure that your gun reloads quicker or do more damage!

It's not a pay to win game, honest. You're just supporting game development.

CIG come hire me to monopolise your game beyond your current model of selling jpegs and dreams to losers.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

Mirificus posted:

SOUADRDN 42

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

CrazyTolradi posted:

FTFY

Seriously though, most Australians think America and Americans are fine, but don't get them started about those evil Chinese foreign investment firms.

Seconding this.

It's sort of a cultural problem at this point, though in many cases it does bear out, suspicion wise.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

D_Smart posted:

I know what it is. It's bollocks. And Ben was just talking it up.

Well that was pretty much guaranteed to be the case, yes.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

CrazyTolradi posted:

FTFY

Still, hating on Sandi/CIG for sourcing merch from China is kinda dumb. Pretty much every consumer electronic good is made in China, at least in part. My microphone is "designed in Australia, assembled in China" and it's of very decent quality and highly reviewed. The issue here is that Sandi likely sourced it out to the company who had the cheapest possible price and didn't give a flying gently caress about quality.

I guess the point I'm making is Sandi hates SC backers and is happy to take their bucks in return for horrible >$1 junk.
The stupidity isn't really sourcing the trinket & trash production to China, mate-- it's making it the hub of their shipping/distribution. The majority of backers are in North America & Europe, not Asia... So it takes 3-6 weeks for spergs to get their shipments-- with lousy order tracking much of the way (prompting frequent complaints in the Brown Sea and on Reddit...)

Keep in mind, on top of all this, that their China shop repeatedly loses their inventory behind boxes only to discover it a year or two later... Ben and Alexis (and formerly Chelsea and James and Will) openly joke about what a mess the operation is on Reverse the Verse and have for a couple of years.

Meanwhile, CiG tells fans who don't like all this that they chose China because the quality simply can't be matched elsewhere. So a lot of fans just get their merch made locally and spare themselves the hassle. (And some of it looks far better than China's...)

So that's why crap-looking logo patch prompts a piss take-- because, like all things CIG does, it makes absolutely no business sense, is incredibly convoluted and inefficient, and it produces additional grief for their employees and customers. When even Ben is openly making fun of it on fan-funded weekly shows, you know it must suck.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Nicholas posted:

SOUADRDN 42
This is just so amateur, it's not surprising that even their patches have pre-alpha bugs. Who the hell even stencils an O the same way as a D?

Even the Q is like that. SDUADRDN 42

Acquilae fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Dec 8, 2015

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

D_Smart posted:

Well, it's made in China, and Sandi says they're of better quality than US made goods.

OOO!!! Is it the.. Concierge PLATINUM card? Made out of common credit card plastic? But these ones actually have your name on them AND ONLY REQUIRE YOU TO SPEND $45,999?! (+$35 for the card itself, because almost $46k isnt enough to warrent sending you a card for free)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Holy crap is that bad.

Eonwe posted:

There are full grown men with jobs who have sewed star citizen patches to jackets and watched wing commander

What a time we live in

I *know*. Many of them are single too, who would have thought.

Hav fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Dec 8, 2015

• Locked thread