Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

oldpainless posted:

How did sting get a title shot when he has literally zero wins on his record? Seems pretty fishy to me.

he was rightfully murdered for this transgression

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

it's about what's best for business not what's fair, like many other sports

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
Who created the iconic Cactus Jack shirt? I ask because I bought mine from an ECW show in 2000. I thought it was odd then and now.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Gavok posted:

Part of Ryder's downfall seemed to be that he came up with a gimmick that worked, but he never really figured out the character. He knew what he was, but when it came time to say who he was, he just went blank and fell back on his catchphrases.

That never stopped The Rock. The man could cut a 15 minute promo that was nothing but catchphrases.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the rock is not an instructive comparison for anyone

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Yeah the Rock is just ultra gifted at that poo poo. New Day does similar stuff but it literally requires 3 of them to cut one Rock caliber catchphrase promo.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
I'm just a softie for Ryder. He's pretty solid in the ring even if his character's a joke.

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

Jokes aside, what was the holographic image supposed to be that ruined the Ambrose/Rollins Cell match? I could never make out much detail.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Xerzes posted:

Jokes aside, what was the holographic image supposed to be that ruined the Ambrose/Rollins Cell match? I could never make out much detail.

I'm pretty sure it was supposed to be Wyatt.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Under the vegetable posted:

I'm just a softie for Ryder. He's pretty solid in the ring even if his character's a joke.
The WWE roster can only feature so many wrestlers, and plenty have come and gone who were probably not outstanding enough, both in the ring and on the mic, to be enduring stars even if the WWE was really a meritocracy. But that doesn't mean it's alright to actively sabotage talent. I don't know why, but whenever this comes up it seems someone always says "It's okay because he wasn't Daniel Bryan caliber."

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Halloween Jack posted:

The WWE roster can only feature so many wrestlers, and plenty have come and gone who were probably not outstanding enough, both in the ring and on the mic, to be enduring stars even if the WWE was really a meritocracy. But that doesn't mean it's alright to actively sabotage talent. I don't know why, but whenever this comes up it seems someone always says "It's okay because he wasn't Daniel Bryan caliber."

I don't think it was "ok" but since WWE either actively or ignorantly sabotages pretty much all of their talent (many of whom are better than Ryder) and have for years he's not one I'd consider particularly high on my list to feel regretful about

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Aesop Poprock posted:

I don't think it was "ok" but since WWE either actively or ignorantly sabotages pretty much all of their talent (many of whom are better than Ryder) and have for years he's not one I'd consider particularly high on my list to feel regretful about

It's just more noticeable because he was one of the first cases of explicit hypocrisy on their part. You gotta get over on your own, gotta connect with the people, grab the brass ring... as long as we got you over and decided you connect, otherwise get in the fuckin' hole while we back up the truck full of dirt.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
The funniest thing about Ryder was that they stuck him in the Kane storyline and then immediately put Santino in a bunch of storylines that felt mapped out for Ryder (winning the US Title again, being Teddy Long's assistant, almost beating Daniel Bryan at Elimination Chamber). It was like they find-replaced Ryder's name with Santino's.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Gaz-L posted:

grab the brass ring
If I never hear this phrase again in my life, it'll be too soon.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Aesop Poprock posted:

Ryder's case was notable because of how absolutely blatant it was.
In the curious case of Zach Ryder, you just saw that this wasn't bad booking or lazy booking or apathethic booking. That was outright malevolent booking. A dude was punished for having the nerve to endear himself to the fans, which said a lot about how the WWE really sees its 'universe'.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Under the vegetable posted:

That never stopped The Rock. The man could cut a 15 minute promo that was nothing but catchphrases.

Yeah, but he didn't have to. He was capable of cutting a good promo that could sell you on whatever when he wanted to. He'd begin with a "FINALLY!", end with an "IF YA SMELL" and have a "GUARAN-drat-TEE" and "MILLIONS" sprinkled somewhere in there, but he still usually had something to say.

Ryder, not so much.

Jericho: NO! THIS IS NOT A JOKE! I AM NOT A JOKE! I AM SERIOUS! And you will not look past me, you stupid son of a bitch!

Ryder: Whoa, are you serious, bro? Woo, woo, woo, you know it!

*"Oh Radio" plays and they go to a commercial*

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

ChrisBTY posted:

Ryder's case was notable because of how absolutely blatant it was.
In the curious case of Zach Ryder, you just saw that this wasn't bad booking or lazy booking or apathethic booking. That was outright malevolent booking.
Indeed. It's nothing new for a guy to be stuck with a gimmick that fails to get over and becomes an anchor that sinks his career. It's also understandable when angles have to be aborted because they're not working, or there just isn't room, or that guy is better used as an asset to help a bigger star get over. Mistakes happen and that's business. It's another thing to deliberately program lousy content to carry out a backstage grudge. (And yes, I know this pettiness isn't confined to the wrestling business, but it sure does seem to be at home there, so to speak.)

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Alright, since we're already in this line of conversation.
What were some other notable blatant attempts at sabotaging a wrestler's career/image over the years? I know this is a hard subject because in wrestling a lot of really stupid things are just that; stupid, not malicious.

The only ones that jump out at me are "Adorable" Adrian Adonis and Polka-dotted Dusty Rhodes.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
The utter fascination with Zack Ryder will never fail to amaze me.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ChrisBTY posted:

What were some other notable blatant attempts at sabotaging a wrestler's career/image over the years? I know this is a hard subject because in wrestling a lot of really stupid things are just that; stupid, not malicious.

The only ones that jump out at me are "Adorable" Adrian Adonis and Polka-dotted Dusty Rhodes.

Dusty was more a case of revenge than actual sabotoge to be honest.

Petty, but a year or two at the very tail end of a 3 decade long career isn't exactly chopping someone's career short.

There was that APA match with Public Enemy.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ChrisBTY posted:

They tried several times with Daniel Bryan, notably sticking him with the bellas early on to make him look like a huge dork, having Cole mock him specifically on commentary, having him lose matches in embarassing quick ways, trying to get the word "turd" associated with him, etc. It was by far the biggest backlash towards that style of booking from the fans probably in wrestling history because of how blatantly they were trying to make fans uninterested in him. Unlike Ryder it just seemed to make DB try harder though.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

ChrisBTY posted:

Dave was just talking last week about how Daniel Bryan and Low Ki were both undermined and sabotaged right from the start of their NXT runs

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

St Evan Echoes posted:

Dave was just talking last week about how Daniel Bryan and Low Ki were both undermined and sabotaged right from the start of their NXT runs

They even did the same "pair the guy up with tall attractive women because hahaha short rear end ugly dorks" thing with low Ki right after doing it with Bryan

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

6EQUJ5 6 7 posted:

Who created the iconic Cactus Jack shirt? I ask because I bought mine from an ECW show in 2000. I thought it was odd then and now.

Mick discussed it in his first book, he had it made during his ECW run and it caught on with that crowd. He brought it with him when he started doing Cactus Jack in the WWF.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

ChrisBTY posted:

I'm pretty sure Terry Taylor got the Red Rooster gimmick as a deliberate rib. What I'm not so sure about is the rumour that he got a bird gimmick because he was a "stool pigeon" to management.

This didn't really hurt his career because he was an absolute nothing, but Mike Jones getting gimmicks as "Virgil" and "Vincent" is amusing.

Probably the worst case of someone's career getting deliberately hosed with is everything Flair had to endure in WCW in the late 90s. Like Dusty, Flair had of course had a long career at that point and went on to do other things. But it was almost as if the booking committee was deliberately trying to answer the question "How badly do we have to gently caress with Flair before no one will pay to see a WCW show in Charlotte?"

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Dec 8, 2015

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Have the Bella Twins ever done anything good and cool in pro wrestling? I can't remember any times they were enjoyable, just bad matches and awful segments with worse acting.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

rotinaj posted:

Have the Bella Twins ever done anything good and cool in pro wrestling? I can't remember any times they were enjoyable, just bad matches and awful segments with worse acting.

Nikki carried two decent matches with Charlotte that would have been good if not for the finish throwing out all the psychology up to that point

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Nikki carried two decent matches with Charlotte that would have been good if not for the finish throwing out all the psychology up to that point

Which matches, specifically? I want to watch them.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

rotinaj posted:

I think Nikki is a decent wrestler now. Brie pulling out tissue from her bra to show she's not Nikki was cool.

Their little dance when they come out was good.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Can't find them at work but they were fairly recent. The ppv matches where Charlotte won the title and then defended for the rematch.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Funny, that. I bring this up because I just watched the recent Botchamania episode with their Hell in the Cell match on it.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Bam Bam Bigelow got buried in 1995. He did the job to Lawrence Taylor at Wrestlemania 11 and was supposed to be rewarded for doing so. Instead, they turned him face. Now while this may not seem like a big deal, his face gimmick was Diesel's lackey. Plus, he was about 9th or 10th on the face depth charts. This meant that he was mainly used to put over heels, and his WWF tenure quietly came to an end at the end of 1995 after jobbing to Goldust.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

ChrisBTY posted:

Who better than Kanyon?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Bam Bam Bigelow got buried in 1995. He did the job to Lawrence Taylor at Wrestlemania 11 and was supposed to be rewarded for doing so. Instead, they turned him face. Now while this may not seem like a big deal, his face gimmick was Diesel's lackey. Plus, he was about 9th or 10th on the face depth charts. This meant that he was mainly used to put over heels, and his WWF tenure quietly came to an end at the end of 1995 after jobbing to Goldust.
But was that a deliberate sabotage because of backstage issues?

Goldust also eventually got screwed over by management, but I believe that was because of external pressure over having a gay gimmick heeling it up. Austin said on his podcast that when you're getting your gimmick over, but management asks you to turn it down, that 's the kiss of death. And it was 100% a company gimmick to start.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Ricky "the Dragon" Steamboat was made an actual dragon for a while, because Vince can't leave well enough alone.

Sheamus got the "King Sheamus" gimmick, and Finlay got the midget, which were both attempts by Kevin Dunn to destroy them as I understand.

The Nexus angle had one really hot night and then was slowly buried from that point onward. As an aside, apparently either Vince or Stephanie were surprised and annoyed that Bryan didn't care that he was fired, since even at that point he was making more money on the indies.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

Goldust also eventually got screwed over by management, but I believe that was because of external pressure over having a gay gimmick heeling it up. Austin said on his podcast that when you're getting your gimmick over, but management asks you to turn it down, that 's the kiss of death. And it was 100% a company gimmick to start.

IIRC The Clique told Vince "Man, you can't push a guy who lost to a football player!"

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

ChrisBTY posted:

But Adonis & Dusty were able to take those bad gimmicks and make it work. Red Rooster was a poo poo gimmick that didn't work, but they continued to push for like 6 months. Did you know that the Red Rooster was on Hogan's team at the Survivor Series that year?

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Halloween Jack posted:

I'd say it was likely deliberate. The clique involvement has already been mentioned, and they had quite a bit of influence at the time.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

ChrisBTY posted:

Most everyone in The Alliance

EDIT: And having Stone Cold come out with a pillow and blanket and calling Lance Storm boring during his matches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

reality_groove posted:

And having Stone Cold come out with a pillow and blanket and calling Lance Storm boring during his matches.

Actually that was good because Lance Storm shouldn't have success or be loved.