Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Dallaglio has a snowplough for a chin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
The BBC Sports Personality Of The Year is Dan Biggar!

He celebrated by signing a new 4 year contract with The Ospreys :neckbeard:

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Wait, I thought that wasn't for another two weeks...???

Also I think Kevin Sinfield deserves it more.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He won the BBC Cymru one

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
AAAAAAAH I see.

Well, good on him then. Did he win Cymru's Got Talent for his dancing, too?

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
http://www.espn.co.uk/rugby/story/_/id/14326169/schedule-americas-six-nations-called-amercas-rugby-championship-unveiled

Looks like we're going to get more Test matches for the Americas! During the same time the 6 nations is going there will be a competition over here too, with Argentina. Uruguay, Brazil, Chile, USA, and Canada. Can't wait for this to elevate Argentina from the increased time they'll have playing together as a team, because it's pointless hoping for the USA to win this lol

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

How will playing 5 poo poo teams help Argentina when they already play the best 3 teams in the world annually?

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008
It probably wont, but in terms of growing the game its a long term benefit to have an Americas tournament which Argentina are a part of.

Its up to them how the manage their inclusion in that, they can use it almost as a B fixture to develop future players, or they can play their full side and give the other teams a lesson in both; a) standing under the posts each match and b) measuring themselves against a top side each tournament.

It also has the benefit of providing more exposure of the game at a national (North & South american) level.

Its a win win surely.

I would also like to see a European version of this as well so the lesser European nations like Romania, Georgia or England get a chance to properly compete in a tournament that matches their ability.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
I think they already have the European Nations Cup, right?

But, yeah, American rugby test series is a great idea and I hope there are matches near enough to me that I can go see them. Also I hope the USA Eagles who play professionally in Europe will be able to get a release from their clubs, though I am not holding my breath.

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008
I genuinely had never heard of the European nations cup.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Apollodorus posted:

I think they already have the European Nations Cup, right?

But, yeah, American rugby test series is a great idea and I hope there are matches near enough to me that I can go see them. Also I hope the USA Eagles who play professionally in Europe will be able to get a release from their clubs, though I am not holding my breath.

European Nations Cup is a joke though 7 of the last 8 competitions have been won by Georgia and they've lost 1 in their last 26 matches in that competition. But there's no progression for them. They will always be 2nd tier because they're not allowed to play 1st tier Rugby outside of a world cup.

If the IRB are serious about broadening the appeal of the game they have to shake things up and bit and not let the top countries have ivory towers where only they get to play. People said Italy joining the 5 Nations would be awful and it's not been so bad, the same for Argentina. Both countries have gained massively from the increase in quality of opposition.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Don't worry you aren't the only one. The last I read they were exploring ways to expose Romania and Georgia at least to more top level Test rugby to close the gap between them and the likes of Italy and England.

I can't ever see it getting to the stage of a promotion/relegation into the 6N from the 2nd tier competition but it would be nice to see more competitive fixtures between the Tier 1 nations and the rest. If the last world cup showed us anything it was that the talent gap isn't as big as many would've guessed but the lack of opportunities for tier 2 nations to measure themselves against the elite remains an issue.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Mister Chief posted:

How will playing 5 poo poo teams help Argentina when they already play the best 3 teams in the world annually?

The top tier Argentinians will be playing in the Rugby Championship, so it'll more than likely be the Pumas B or C team playing. But, to properly answer your question,

1. It would give the local Argentine players proper exposure, fostering the talent depth in that country. The Argie Super Rugby team will be able to look at expanding their player pool, while overseas teams like the NZ Super Rugby sides could consider them for their "2 foreign players allowed" spots and European and Japanese clubs and provinces can come calling.
2. It helps grow and promote the game in the Americas, so that the Argentinians will eventually have decent-quality opposition to play against without having to travel to the other side of the planet on a regular basis.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
^Yes, most definitely.

Also, Georgia could probably beat Italy first time out if they had a good game, and I say this as a fan of Italian rugby.

The lack of opportunities for international matchups outside the 6N and RC probably has a lot to do with a) larger squad sizes compared to soccer (football), and b) being a much tougher sport that you can't just half-rear end for the 89 minutes where you don't get lucky and score a goal amidst pretending to be hurt.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Parisse has carried Italy for too long. They are not a good team right now.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
They've got some good players, Parisse obviouslt the best they've ever had but even their traditional strength in the scrum is pretty crap these days.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Vaders Jester posted:

They've got some good players, Parisse obviouslt the best they've ever had but even their traditional strength in the scrum is pretty crap these days.

They had some good players. They're a bad team now, not that they were any good to begin with, other than occasionally beating other poo poo Euro teams.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Vagabundo posted:

They had some good players. They're a bad team now, not that they were any good to begin with, other than occasionally beating Scotland.

Fixed that for you.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
Apart from Tommy Allan, who went to school with a few people I know, who is a jolly nice guy. He's about the only professional player I am connected to in any way, so I always watch out for his little goofy face.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think you mean Tommaso Allan.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
I know what I said.

(His old friends from school think that's the weirdest poo poo so I'm inclined to agree)

Edit: but Tommaso is a much better name for a member of the Italian team. He's basically Scottish without it.

fallingdownjoe fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Dec 10, 2015

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It was a joke based around the commentators correcting themselves all the time.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
I mean he sure looks Italian. So does Luke McLean. That's the imporant part, right?

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
Anyone else planning on watching the Varsity game this afternoon to watch Desperate Dan crush some poshos? It's on BBC2.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

fallingdownjoe posted:

Anyone else planning on watching the Varsity game this afternoon to watch Desperate Dan crush some poshos? It's on BBC2.

Just watched *our girls* dominate Oxford due to having a decent #12 and a great #15.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Vagabundo posted:

They had some good players. They're a bad team now, not that they were any good to begin with, other than occasionally beating other poo poo Euro teams.

Campagnaro and Venditti and both pretty good but yeah, they're still a bad team that had good players.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They've never had a squad competent enough to link together their good players. Individual genius can't make a bad team work.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
First time ol' Lantern Jaw gets the ball and he kills the Oxford captain. Straight to the ground and not back up yet.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Such disgust over the passing.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

goatface posted:

They've never had a squad competent enough to link together their good players. Individual genius can't make a bad team work.

Yeah, I always wonder how Parisse would be viewed if he played for say, NZ or Australia. Hell even if he played for Wales or Ireland he'd be spoken about so much more. Sadly, he got lumbered with Italy.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Not a very powerful boot on that Oxford kicker.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

fallingdownjoe posted:

First time ol' Lantern Jaw gets the ball and he kills the Oxford captain. Straight to the ground and not back up yet.

It's come to the point that we're sitting in the thread watching an amateur game being 10 times more exciting than the majority of the Pro 12.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
There's definitely a point where you recognise that it's a disease.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Tyma posted:

It's come to the point that we're sitting in the thread watching an amateur game being 10 times more exciting than the majority of the Pro 12.

Don't paint the rest of the Pro12 with the Welsh brush.

Edinburgh are still bad

I'm just glad to hear commentators that aren't utter poo poo.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Power, but very direct and blunt power. No flair, lots of sloppy handling.

It's very NH.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
The Cambridge 7 was a couple of years below me at school so I was going to have a nosey to see how he's getting on. That's my excuse to watch it anyway.

I do love weekends with the European matches on though, Ulster match on Friday night then a weekend full of rugby after that, Carter's debut included!

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

How furious are 'Quins and Wales going to be if Roberts gets injured?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Good desperation tackles there.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
Yeah, that was sharp at the end there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
LIneouts are a bit of a shambles. Hooker is a dead art.