Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

starkebn posted:

what is going to be there for the people who want to spend the rest of their lives playing their 'game'?

Debt, disappointment and broken dreams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

Obviously whatever you can dream up you can do

this is what those idiots sadly believe

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Retribution
Part One

When I think back to that day, I'm reminded that it was the day that I let the darkness of the Galaxy take root in my soul in it's entirety. It's tendrils strangling what little hope I had to lead a normal life. I was certain that I had left my past behind me, that it would not interfere in my wishes for a regular life of working in a nine-to-five with a beautiful family. How wrong I was.

It was supposed to be a pleasant family vacation to Terra, a planet which I had been to countless times in the past when I worked for the UEE. My family didn't know of that past, however. In their version of my history, I had never left Earth just as they hadn't. I had been UEE Guard, a branch that never left orbit of Earth and protected its interests on the ground. However, I was much much more than a simple guardsman. I was what the UEE called a "Cleaner". Someone who took care of high priority targets when diplomatic avenues broke down. I wiped them from existence and made them disappear. It was a dirty job, but someone had to do it. Much better me than someone else who might make a mistake.

I'll start from the beginning of the story, so as not to confuse anyone who might read my memoirs. Judge me if you must, but remember...you weren't there.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
what happened to the goon with the kermit avatar who "dealt in information" or whatever

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/302498/uee-navy-killbots

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
How on earth do they look at the product thus far delivered and then derive that what the game needs is navy automated killbots

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

I honestly, truly find this way more offensive than dick pics.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Here's a game idea: Stability? The ships you paid for? A release date?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Sarsapariller posted:

I honestly, truly find this way more offensive than dick pics.

I see these things as light-speed bolts right to hilarity. Just think, these people walk around, talk, drive their cars around, vote, take care of pets and children, laugh, etc. They do all the things you and I do but are so hilariously dumb lmao
This dude could be your A/C repair guy and you wouldn't even know it.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

this post reads like someone who is terrified of pvp and is scared shitless of actually getting out there to hunt pirates in his own ship

"ill just do it from the safety of no pvp space while piloting a disposal drone" - :downs:

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

what happened to the goon with the kermit avatar who "dealt in information" or whatever

Speaking.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

SirPhoebos posted:

I remembered that the Wing Commander movie was reviewed by none other than Roger Ebert: http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/wing-commander-1999

While it doesn't have a "Your Movie Sucks" gem, I did giggle when he said that as soon as he saw the black female pilot he knew she was going to get Space-Bulldozered.

Roger Ebert posted:

These actors, alas, are at the service of a submoronic script and special effects that look like a video game writ large. "Wing Commander'' arrives at the end of a week that began with the death of the creator of "2001: A Space Odyssey.'' Close the pod bay door, Hal. And turn off the lights.

:drat:

e:

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

He missed the obvious one though.

"In a world more just than ours, we would be treated to a new movie based on Clarke's work, while Roberts would be the one slowly rotting away in a wooden casket."
:gary: harsh but fair

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Dec 10, 2015

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Star Citizen is a case study in communal delusion.

Sometime "They" sound like junior project managers who somehow beleive than if it take one woman 9 months to have a baby, 9 women can do it in one month.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
lol @ the first comment on that page

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

so you're a fake spy in a fake game, correct?

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

so you're a fake spy in a fake game, correct?

I run a fake private military company in a fake game now! I still spy now and then. Subcontracting is where it is at man

Anyway what can I do ya fed

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://forums.robertsspaceindustri...houghts-on-that

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Literally Kermit posted:

I run a fake private military company in a fake game now! I still spy now and then. Subcontracting is where it is at man

Anyway what can I do ya fed

nothin' just having a good time. My previous post of some guys fanfic reminded me of you is all

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Thoughts, thoughts, thoughts…

Hmmm…

“I assume the quality is better than CIG's?”

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

nothin' just having a good time. My previous post of some guys fanfic reminded me of you is all

I am having a good time too, this place is like a rocking never ending party while a house burns in the background.

Also a correction - I was a fake spy in a very real game that you can play irl

Btw Peter, Eowen, six days til space go-kart shootymans

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

peter gabriel posted:

At least it's on Steam now

:perfect: :five:

e:

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Regarding number 2, I actually asked Sandi that very question a few years ago with respect to TNGS. She said it didn't. My guess is that in reality all of the money goes into a major fund and they don't keep track because they don't give a poo poo.

Oh no question about that, they're doing Sack accounting for sure. It all goes in the sack and you just take money and distribute it were needed, and the messier the better.

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Dec 10, 2015

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Loiosh, I need a sitrep. What's happening in the wild world of Star Citizen?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Literally Kermit posted:

Btw Peter, Eowen, six days til space go-kart shootymans

Ooooh!

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

MeLKoR posted:

Oh no question about that, they're doing Sack accounting for sure. It all goes in the sack and you just take money and distribute it were needed, and the messier the better.

Are those UK accounts still unfilled ? Nice use of backers money, paying HMRC fines.

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Star Citizen 28 Success Secrets - 28 Most Asked Questions On Star Citizen - What You Need To Know!

28 Star Citizen success secrets for £15.95?? What a bargain!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

quote:

Most Helpful Customer Reviews

Star Citizen 28
By Lawrence Walker on 3 Jun. 2015 Verified Purchase

Just scanned it for a preview . I feel it looks very promising.
Short of images otherwise I would have given it 5 star.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

dyzzy posted:

lol @ the first comment on that page

It's the most subtle of self-owns.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

"It contains 28 answers, much more than you can imagine; "

that is actually more than I can imagine with regards to Star Citizen

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

who the gently caress thinks chris has written a single line for this

Beats me. It's part of the bullshit.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/277762/let-the-backers-fans-make-funny-silly-commercials-for-the-pu

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

On a lark I decided to be a little less charitable towards CIG and try something different. I assumed that CIG's growth in dedicated staff was linear between each data point, leading to a total predicted expenditure of $44 million. Again that's based on Frontier's monthly expenditure of $9320 per person. I then decided to see if I could estimate the contractor burden. We have three available data points from CIG about "developers" as opposed to dedicated staff. In October 2012 there were only 5 developers so likely no contracts. In October 2013 there were 90 developers and 52 dedicated staff for a difference of 38 people. In October 2014 there were 240 developers and an estimated 172 dedicated staff (assuming linear growth) for a difference of 68 people. We know that Behavior started working with CIG in December of 2012, and CIG also has contracts with Turbulent and CGBot as well as a now defunct over with IllFonic. So for shits and giggles I decided to estimate a "contractor burden" of 40 people, and estimate that load from December 2012 to the present. That translated to around $13 million. So if you assume that CIG's staff growth is linear between their data points, and that CIG's development contractor expenses are the equivalent of 40 people per month, then you're looking at $57 million spent. Obviously the numbers surrounding the contracts are ridiculously soft but it's a fun mental exercise.

There's also the expenses associated with all of the motion capture equipment, which is $230K. Of more interest is the cost of Imaginarium, which CR used for 11 weeks for Squadron 42. Now according to Chris's own words motion capture costs between $25K and $50K per day. I'm assuming that Imaginarium is at the high end of that, so we're talking about 55 days at $50K per day or $2.75 million. So for just the motion capture rig and 55 days of performance capture alone you're looking at $3 million. It should also be noted that motion capture and performance capture technically aren't the same thing, so it's entirely possible that Imaginarium is even more than $50K per day. We don't know and CIG won't say.

I don't think it's unreasonable to estimate that CIG has spent at least $60 million and has a monthly burn rate of $2.8 million. The major issue is what their net difference is between amount earned and amount spent; if we use Frontier's numbers and assume an equivalent of 300 people then any day that they earn less than $93,200 is considered a loss. Their average income for the last 365 days has been around $91.5K so not a big difference yet, but if their expenses are significantly higher than estimated or sales start to falter then things could get really bad.

They've got about $11.35m left. Don't ask me how I know any of that.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

This. Retard.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Loiosh, I need a sitrep. What's happening in the wild world of Star Citizen?

All the things, everything you can literally imagine

E:

D_Smart posted:

I really hope this is true. Im only here for the inevitable meltdown, so the sooner the better

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Star Citizen is a case study in communal delusion.

Don't joke. You have no clue how right you are.

And that Stew360 guy? OMG!! We had him on The Salt Mine stream one time. I don't even...

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

D_Smart posted:

:eyepop:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

peter gabriel posted:

At least it's on Steam now

I died. I am dead. Completely.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Bait and Swatch posted:

All the things, everything you can literally imagine

Can you buy bagels and cream cheese in the 'verse?

Actually, are there any eating/bathroom requirements in Star Citizen? I cannot have my immersion broken by the fact that I never eat, poop, or sleep!

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/302401/finally-an-alpha-that-isn-t-an-alpha

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Hav posted:

Huh? Motion sickness mostly comes from movements not matching visual input. You don't cure motion sickness with code.

I don't know about VR, but in general there are things that make it better or worse. Third person is usually better than first person. If first person is required putting a fixed point like a crosshair in the center of the screen helps some people (putting a little sticker in the center of the monitor helps some people in games that don't have a fixed point). Field of view makes a difference. Head bobbing makes it much, much worse why would you even do that??? Stupid gimmicks like camera shake and motion blur can make it worse.

Code can't solve the problem of people having broken brains, but there are features under control of the game makers that can definitely influence the severity of the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

D_Smart posted:

So you're saying there's still hope, right?

• Locked thread