Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Iglocska posted:

Except for Elite.

Jump into a Strong Signal Source.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Star citizen is more disappointing than sandis acting career.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

no_recall posted:

Or a high intensity site.

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.

Iglocska posted:

Exactly, just take whatever number you said a month ago, add about $3 mil on top (which is realistic based on what they were doing) and it will sound legit. I am sure that almost nobody except higher management know the exact figures. Once they got the crowdfunding ball rolling they also had access to some decent loans, there are also income sources outside of the crowd funding (such as the AMD deal), etc.

tl;dr: nobody knows, everyone is just trying to guess how much they have. Also, I am sure that they'll keep doing successful sales as they have before to keep raising money until they can develop the perfect head-bob simulator.

Pretty much the only way anyone will find out is if and when someone files a lawsuit. Mr Smart promised this on several occasions and seems to have lost his appetite. Judging by the pointed questions being asked by CIG in their refund mails it seems as if they themselves are planning some sort of legal attack on various parties, possibly citing how the accusations have impacted upon their ability to operate.
They have no where near enough money to survive another year I do know that much and to be honest i think if they were simply up front about the finances many of the cultists would simply increase their pledge to help them through the next '10' expected years of development.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Romes128 posted:

Offline in Elite just means no PvP, which it seems is what shitizens want. The universe and community goals and such still need a connection. If cig can't pull off what elite already has then lol

Actually lol cause they can't even get cross hairs right.

Lol at star citizen.

Sandi hates hair. Better not let them get into the game.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

EightAce posted:

Pretty much the only way anyone will find out is if and when someone files a lawsuit. Mr Smart promised this on several occasions and seems to have lost his appetite. Judging by the pointed questions being asked by CIG in their refund mails it seems as if they themselves are planning some sort of legal attack on various parties, possibly citing how the accusations have impacted upon their ability to operate.
They have no where near enough money to survive another year I do know that much and to be honest i think if they were simply up front about the finances many of the cultists would simply increase their pledge to help them through the next '10' expected years of development.

Yeah just like cig sued the Escapist whem they threatened to lol

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.
Cant stop laughing at this ........

RSI WEBSITE

Patch 2.0k - WOW !

Patches
Patchateeka
Posted: 5:37AM
I read CR had a hand in this one. His golden hands are the reason for this stability, I bet.

..........His Golden hands ................

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm catching up on the thread and did octopede really say he doesn't care about workers conditions and if sandi and Chris stole money from the development as long as he gets his space game

Lol what a fuckin dildo

I hope someone knocks the fuckin mop from his hands when he's cleaning the dod offices and just says "working conditions bitch"

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

EightAce posted:

Cant stop laughing at this ........

RSI WEBSITE

Patch 2.0k - WOW !

Patches
Patchateeka
Posted: 5:37AM
I read CR had a hand in this one. His golden hands are the reason for this stability, I bet.

..........His Golden hands ................

K for karet

e: its early and i'm a silly goon. I still lol'ed to myself, so keeping it. Carat, lol.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

no_recall posted:

And then my endless supply of SCBs will keep me alive for ages in my Python at which point I can still decide to Friendship drive out. (unless something drastically changed in the past ~6 months since I stopped truckin')

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

no_recall posted:

K for karet

e: its early and i'm a silly goon. I still lol'ed to myself, so keeping it. Carat, lol.

Lol at sandi thinking she can get good acting work lookin like a raggedy ole rear end mummy.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

EightAce posted:

I'm not sure about them having enough money to last a long time or not, my guess is they do. Also the eagerness to spend still seems to be there so I am not too worried about the funding running out, I am much more worried about what exactly is being funded.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Iglocska posted:

Exactly, just take whatever number you said a month ago, add about $3 mil on top (which is realistic based on what they were doing) and it will sound legit. I am sure that almost nobody except higher management know the exact figures. Once they got the crowdfunding ball rolling they also had access to some decent loans, there are also income sources outside of the crowd funding (such as the AMD deal), etc.

tl;dr: nobody knows, everyone is just trying to guess how much they have. Also, I am sure that they'll keep doing successful sales as they have before to keep raising money until they can develop the perfect head-bob simulator.

Yeah, that's my guess. People will keep pouring money into this. The next thing is costs for cosmetic upgrades, and you can bet people will spend hundreds to decorate their autism chariots. Which of course will create more tech debt and then money for redesigns, etc.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Iglocska posted:

I'm not sure about them having enough money to last a long time or not, my guess is they do. Also the eagerness to spend still seems to be there so I am not too worried about the funding running out, I am much more worried about what exactly is being funded.

a new treatment for aspergers and credit limits

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Iglocska posted:

Problem with a lot of companies is, they don't stop spending just because funds look a bit low. A lot of companies that go insolvent still actually trade and operate well after they've no longer become solvent. In most jurisdictions, it's illegal but it still happens more often than not.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Dapper Dan posted:

Yeah, that's my guess. People will keep pouring money into this. The next thing is costs for cosmetic upgrades, and you can bet people will spend hundreds to decorate their autism chariots. Which of course will create more tech debt and then money for redesigns, etc.

If they were smart, they'd take one of their teams and just make them crank out easy-win cosmetic items while funding the rest of the development. If people want to spend on custom skins, bobble-heads or different material pilot seats (...) let them! Implementing something like that should be trivial and can still raise a lot of money for the real development (the head-bob simulator won't write itself).

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Iglocska posted:

If they were smart, they'd take one of their teams and just make them crank out easy-win cosmetic items while funding the rest of the development. If people want to spend on custom skins, bobble-heads or different material pilot seats (...) let them! Implementing something like that should be trivial and can still raise a lot of money for the real development (the head-bob simulator won't write itself).

That's what I predict they will do, they do that and then they can theoretically keep this in development in perpetuity because everyone will want theirs to look different.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Dapper Dan posted:

That's what I predict they will do, they do that and then they can theoretically keep this in development in perpetuity because everyone will want theirs to look different.

There is nothing wrong with that, lots of games use that as their financial model and imho it's the best option. You don't gently caress with the ingame balance, yet please the players whilst allowing them to spend money on poo poo. Win-win. Much better than selling ships that have powerful equipment from the moment you first log into the game...

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Iglocska posted:

There is nothing wrong with that, lots of games use that as their financial model and imho it's the best option. You don't gently caress with the ingame balance, yet please the players whilst allowing them to spend money on poo poo. Win-win. Much better than selling ships that have powerful equipment from the moment you first log into the game...

I'd be ok with them selling frames or bare bones ships and the players still having to progress to buy upgrades

But it's dumb as poo poo to say this game is pay to win when people are buying fleets lol.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Iglocska posted:

I wouldn't take them spending as a sign that they're OK.

Rich people hire other people to deal with details, they just tell the people they employ what they want and leave it to them to work it out.

I'm not saying Chris Roberts is rich, more that every action he takes is along the stereotypical lines that a rich person who has a lot yes men around him would take. Like outsourcing your motion capture work when you already own a motion capture studio yourself.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

MeLKoR posted:

Calling dibs on space pimp.

If any of that poo poo makes it in I'll eat my space fedora

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Rudager posted:

Rich people hire other people to deal with details, they just tell the people they employ what they want and leave it to them to work it out.

I'm not saying Chris Roberts is rich, more that every action he takes is along the stereotypical lines that a rich person who has a lot yes men around him would take. Like outsourcing your motion capture work when you already own a motion capture studio yourself.

By spending I meant people actually spending money on spesh ships.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Romes128 posted:

Offline in Elite just means no PvP, which it seems is what shitizens want.

Yeah, I know. You mean solo play, and it's actually exactly the thing shitizens don't want, except maybe a tiny part of the entire community. Plus, there will be places for groups to occupy, and it's kinda hard to own a place if someone can set to solo play and take over without any resistance.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rudager posted:

Or opening multiple studios in different countries.

You do that when you're an already established company, not as a startup. Raise money > make product > make money > expand.

Cig is just like whelp we got a bunch of money let's open studios, build mocap stages, and buy generally expensive furniture for no reason.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

EightAce posted:

I don't know why the thread is so active, as there's not much happening. CIG bought themselves some time with 2.0, if they bring back unmelts in December funding figures will be ok, even if they don't have unmelts this month, they've shown enough to generate some interest and will have a sale anyway, I'd expect this during the livestream. Assuming 2.0 makes live release this month or next it's going to be March/April or so before most will be less accepting of bugs and crashes and that's when we'll get a better idea of how much money they'll get per month and how much progress they've made in fixing poo poo.

You're going to have to wait for the legal stuff, then wait some more, at this stage it's not going to be spoken about from what I understand.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Romes128 posted:

I'd be ok with them selling frames or bare bones ships and the players still having to progress to buy upgrades

But it's dumb as poo poo to say this game is pay to win when people are buying fleets lol.

If they did what they originally said (that they ships you can buy are undergeared and the real progression is equipping them) it would work perfectly fine. I mean you can have a massive $2500 destroyer or a $150 super hornet - the two will most likely be the best at their given roles when the game is out, it's just a different role that you fulfill.

Sadly this doesn't seem to be the case anymore and they keep adding better / worse ships for each price range within the same role which will indeed make it P2W...

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Truga posted:

Yeah, I know. You mean solo play, and it's actually exactly the thing shitizens don't want, except maybe a tiny part of the entire community. Plus, there will be places for groups to occupy, and it's kinda hard to own a place if someone can set to solo play and take over without any resistance.

It's not hard. People do it in Elite all the time. Goons are literally doing this to keep their neighbors from expanding. All their work is being done in solo.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Elite does things differently. In elite, your faction occupies things by you doing poo poo for the faction and then numbers flip and that's that. In SC, much like in EVE, the players are supposed to be the faction. You take over poo poo by shooting people holding it in the face and moving your poo poo in.

I like a lot what elite is doing, it's what was missing from freelancer (and really any multiplayer space game with NPC factions), but there's the option of never even meeting your opponent while "fighting" them, and that's not my thing at all.

I'd much prefer the SC way than the elite way, but unfortunately this game is never getting made. :(

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Romes128 posted:

In crobbits previous games (privateer and freelancer at least, I haven't played others), the ship was really just a bare bones frame. Yes, it comes with all the bells and whistles, but they are poo poo tier modules, and you need to upgrade your shield and weapons to not get your poo poo kicked in by even medium difficulty NPCs.

I don't see why SC would work differently. But then again, I also don't consider my cash spent in this game anything more than a kickstarter pledge to get the game made. I never bought ships.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

The fact that "SOURCES: WIKIPEDIA: is listed makes it rather funny.

Using wikipedia myself, I get sent to a waybackmachine page archived in 2004 stating that Bethesday is starting work on development for Fallout 3.

http://web.archive.org/web/20061004195839/http://www.bethsoft.com/news/pressrelease_071204.htm

Also, nobody has pointed out HALF-LIFE. A game released... in 1998!

Shenmue: 1994-2006 (which is apparently 6 years?)

Shenmue came out in 1999. Shenmue 2 came out in 2001. Development for Shenmue 3 STARTED in 2015. Nothing Shenmue related happened in 2006. I literally have no idea where the person who made the chart got their numbers from other than their own arse, but why make them SO wrong that a second and a half with google can completely blow things up?

In any case, how long other games took to develop is entirely besides the point. Blizzard wasn't taking preorders for diablo 3 in 2002 with the promise of a 2004 release date. Maxis wasn't selling SPORE DLC for £8000 in 2003. Even the most delayed of these games were started, then announced, then spent a greater or lesser period in development, then got finished, released and sold. Barring a few store-pushed preorders, customer money only exchanged hands after they were released. It's a much lesser issue for a game to end up in development hell when it's just the publishers money being squandered, customers might get annoyed but they're not being ripped off by a game they have no financial stake in taking ten years to develop.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

no_recall posted:

"Wow, theres literally GOLD floating around in space, free for the taking! My lucky day!"
-" Cant believe that actually worked, get him boys!"
*LOADING SCREEN*

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
The free floating gold owns tbh. Is it still the best way to start making cash?

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Yes, if you are one of the 5 pirates on silent running laying in wait...

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fatkraken posted:

Shenmue: 1994-2006 (which is apparently 6 years?)

Shenmue came out in 1999. Shenmue 2 came out in 2001. Development for Shenmue 3 STARTED in 2015. Nothing Shenmue related happened in 2006. I literally have no idea where the person who made the chart got their numbers from other than their own arse, but why make them SO wrong that a second and a half with google can completely blow things up?

In any case, how long other games took to develop is entirely besides the point. Blizzard wasn't taking preorders for diablo 3 in 2002 with the promise of a 2004 release date. Maxis wasn't selling SPORE DLC for £8000 in 2003. Even the most delayed of these games were started, then announced, then spent a greater or lesser period in development, then got finished, released and sold. Barring a few store-pushed preorders, customer money only exchanged hands after they were released. It's a much lesser issue for a game to end up in development hell when it's just the publishers money being squandered, customers might get annoyed but they're not being ripped off by a game they have no financial stake in taking ten years to develop.

Lol fallout 3 isn't correct either. I'd Google all of them but I already know whoever made that graphic is fuckin retarded

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Romes128 posted:

Lol fallout 3 isn't correct either. I'd Google all of them but I already know whoever made that graphic is fuckin retarded

I'm guessing Suenmue is a typo and they meant 2000, but the game came out in 1999 anyway, 2000 was the US release.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Romes128 posted:

StarCraft II could be right, there are videos from as far back as 2005. Actually nvm, rewatched the vid from 2005, no way they've been at it for 2 years at that point.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Difference is that the Train sim game is an actual, working game. Hobby traims also take up a fuckload of space, so im not all that surprised to hear about people sinking money into a product that exists.

SC just has overpriced ship because... it cuts out the grindy nature of the game? SC is an MMO right? What the hell do you do aside from collecting unobtanium and slaughtering millions of pirates? Whats the end-game

Well, assuming the game ever comes out, you could think of it as flying your space train around a space train track. But yeah, currently one of these things exists beyond jpeg format.

I was going to make a joke about RSI releasing a new ship pack of space trains, but hell, that's basically what any kind of cargo hauling is, isn't it? So yeah, train simulator in space, except some of the trains might have a gun turret or two.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

As much as I hate reddit, the screenshots and usernames of the most deluded there are likely to be of more long term use. If CIG does run out of money, the RSI site will go offline pretty quickly.

I'm sure I'm not the only one keeping a list of the Space Marshalls and it's handy they made their own subhate reddit for Derek to make finding them easier. I think quoting that development image back to them in a couple of years is going to keep me amused for a while.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Crazy Achmed posted:

I don't know if anyone's already drawn the parallel, but I wonder if there's much overlap between the compulsive JPEG buyers and the people who spend hundreds of dollars on that train simulator game.

To be honest, most people who do train simming spend $20 on their fav section of rail, $20 on their fav livery and $20 on their fav locomotive and then play with that for years.

Still dumb that a digital train costs more than some real world models but who the gently caress knows if it's even worth making them for less. I can't imagine the market being exactly large.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

AP posted:

As much as I hate reddit, the screenshots and usernames of the most deluded there are likely to be of more long term use. If CIG does run out of money, the RSI site will go offline pretty quickly.

I'm sure I'm not the only one keeping a list of the Space Marshalls and it's handy they made their own subhate reddit for Derek to make finding them easier. I think quoting that development image back to them in a couple of years is going to keep me amused for a while.

They should actually thank derek cause it's cigs reaction to poo poo he says is what makes them release content.

• Locked thread