Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aleksendr
May 14, 2014

EightAce posted:

Pretty much the only way anyone will find out is if and when someone files a lawsuit. Mr Smart promised this on several occasions and seems to have lost his appetite. Judging by the pointed questions being asked by CIG in their refund mails it seems as if they themselves are planning some sort of legal attack on various parties, possibly citing how the accusations have impacted upon their ability to operate.
They have no where near enough money to survive another year I do know that much and to be honest i think if they were simply up front about the finances many of the cultists would simply increase their pledge to help them through the next '10' expected years of development.

From all accounts (and theories) the legal process is in the "You made your point, shut up now. Anything more you say can and/or will hurt your case." phase. We just have to see how it will play out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

[url=http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-12-13-star-citizen-well-compete-with-any-aaa-game-out-there]

I'm Chris Roberts (2012) ama

Well see? He wasn't wrong after all, he definitely can't do it in 5.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Measuring game development time when they reused the engine is wildly inaccurate. So you might be able to say "Fallout 3 only took 3 years!" But since it was just the engine Oblivion ran on, and Morrowind before that, it's not like they started from scratch.

And with what SC is trying to be, they are effectively writing a new engine from scratch. It might be based on cryengine, but its going to look nothing like that engine now. (CryEngine was still a stupid choice).

What's really sad is that CR did not recognize this at the outset and foolishly thought the game would get done in 2-3 years, and when he did realize it, rather than scale back his ambitions, he expanded scope.

Eldragon fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Dec 10, 2015

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Eldragon posted:

Measuring game development time when they reused the engine is wildly inaccurate. So you might be able to say "Fallout 3 only took 3 years!" But since it was just the engine Oblivion ran on, and Morrowind before that, it's not like they started from scratch.

And with what SC is trying to be, they are effectively writing a new engine from scratch. It might be based on cryengine, but its going to look nothing like that engine now. (CryEngine was still a stupid choice).

What's really sad is that CR did not recognize this at the outset and foolishly thought the game would get done in 2-3 years, and when he did realize it, rather than scale back his ambitions, he expanded scope.

I dunno. A lot of games use UE4 and Unity5, and I've never seen much debate about their development times being all that inaccurate, regardless of whether they have to construct their own development tools or change the engine source. Wouldn't that make a lot of talk about development times irrelevant or completely subjective?

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011

Eldragon posted:

source your quotes

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Eldragon posted:

That's like hiring a carpenter who takes twice as long as he said he would. Then he presents you with a massive bill for labor and says "Yeah it took ages but I used a rock instead of a hammer for reasons so it's OK"

Why did you use a rock Chris?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Ship with literal swords built into it for ramming decides to ram- is described as "rear end in a top hat." News at 11.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3w85ak/glaive_being_an_asshole_ptu_20k_113/

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Berious posted:

Why did you use a rock Chris?

Because there's nothing better suited on the market now, and there certainly wasn't in 2011.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.

McGiggins posted:

If two AI crewed ships do not equal a player crewed ship, then the mini games powering everything are giving bonuses that are massively disproportional to the value of the ship itself.

A gun going BLAM from a human input is just as effective (or near enough) as an AI doing it, or why ever bother with a fleet?

If 3 players in three ships do less damage and damage tanking than one alone is capable, then obvious the most effective tactic will be a player crewed ship, and a player-flown AI-crewed ramming ship.

E: Which brings up back to EvE style balancing. I have one more friend then you, so his suicide into your shields while I fight means I will win every fight.

That's why you balance it so human crew get enough of a bonus that it's possible to win but not so crazy certain. You don't just blindly give a huge bonus you tweak the numbers until you find a sweet spot.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

I dunno. A lot of games use UE4 and Unity5, and I've never seen much debate about their development times being all that inaccurate, regardless of whether they have to construct their own development tools or change the engine source. Wouldn't that make a lot of talk about development times irrelevant or completely subjective?

I think it's more like:

Bethesda spends 4 years making Oblivion, then uses the same engine as a basis to make Fallout 3. How much time do you add to your theoretical Development Time for Fallout 3 to take into account work that was done while developing oblivion?

The answer is 0, imho, but I can see where he's coming from.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sarsapariller posted:

Ship with literal swords built into it for ramming decides to ram- is described as "rear end in a top hat." News at 11.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3w85ak/glaive_being_an_asshole_ptu_20k_113/

Turns out the Vanduul are the smartest race in the game.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

While yes a lot of games are written in UE4 or Unity5, few to none of them are trying to be the ultimate Space MMO with physics, which is a wildly different beast. Most games are following really well established design patterns (FPS, Flight Sim, RTS, etc) where most of the common problems have already been solved.

No one really debates the dev timeline on other games because they are generally released on time and not trying to reinvent the wheel.

So yeah SC is going to take a really long time to develop. There quite simply is no game engine that comes close to what CIG wants to do.

Unfortunately CR is really bad at product management and is unable to scale his ambition into something manageable. CIG claims to be doing agile vertical slice development, but if they were doing it properly, each release of AC/PU/Whatever would be a stable game with minimal features and iterating on it on a regular basis. Not a buggy mess with more ambition and promises than content and major releases 1-2 times a year.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Well honestly, if you've got an expendable group of fliers who can pretty much instantly kill enemies if they veer too close, why wouldn't you?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Eldragon posted:

Unfortunately CR is really bad at product management and is unable to scale his ambition into something manageable. CIG claims to be doing agile vertical slice development, but if they were doing it properly, each release of AC/PU/Whatever would be a stable game with minimal features and iterating on it on a regular basis. Not a buggy mess with more ambition and promises than content and major releases 1-2 times a year.

This. If you want to see agile development done right, look at space engineers. They release a patch *every* thursday. Sure, they break poo poo often, but they fix poo poo quick and oftener.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Sarsapariller posted:

Poor Rommel88mm, he is just a well adjusted player wanting to have some fun.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The vanduul are a merchant race, that's how they were designed since the beginning, and the glaives were on there by accident. In our next release all of them will be converted into short range cargo freighters, used to carry goods to and from their kingships, just like we promised during the kickstarter. Their threat to the UEE is of stolen jobs and cheap goods. Oh, alright, if it'll shut you whiners up, we were thinking of designing a new fighter to sell for them anyway.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Sarsapariller posted:

Some good pubbie tears in that video

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Eldragon posted:

While yes a lot of games are written in UE4 or Unity5, few to none of them are trying to be the ultimate Space MMO with physics, which is a wildly different beast. Most games are following really well established design patterns (FPS, Flight Sim, RTS, etc) where most of the common problems have already been solved.

So yeah SC is going to take a really long time to develop. There quite simply is no game engine that comes close to what CIG wants to do.

In other words they should have done what Elite is already doing, only with maybe five times the funding so they could readily iterate on their own product and not piss off original backers by charging for the equivalent of a new game every year? I'll be very curious to see what kind of a game Elite is by the time Star Citizen is actually out.

I wouldn't be surprised if, in a year, Arena Commander is sufficiently ironed out enough that it would make for a solid single player experience and we get Squadron 42. Beyond that however I have no faith in CIG to deliver a product that's anywhere near the MMO experience people are anticipating. The servers can't handle it, the clients can't handle it, and frankly SC is such an amorphous concept that CR will be able to say that whatever they produced is what they were promising. The folks who are really going to get hosed over are the people who bought Javelins expecting something they could build an entire organization around. I think in the long run what we're really going to be getting is Freelancer 2015.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
Shitizens looking forward to some new feature creep: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3w75o8/new_game_system_being_revealed_during_the/

They think it's going to be planetary landings because Chris definitely is not insanely jealous of David Braben and his actual working game

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I think in the long run what we're really going to be getting is Freelancer 2915.

Ahem

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

...I think in the long run what we're really going to be getting is Freelancer 2015.

That's all I ever wanted in the first place.

It would be achievable too if CR had not tacked on so much "realism" and next-gen graphics bullshit.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Berious posted:

Shitizens looking forward to some new feature creep: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3w75o8/new_game_system_being_revealed_during_the/

They think it's going to be planetary landings because Chris definitely is not insanely jealous of David Braben and his actual working game

Arggghh another E:D feature that was derided by SC fans as poo poo because Croberts didn't think to include it in VISION 1.0 and now it's coming it is an amazing genre redefining moment. How do these people do this :psyduck:

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

TTerrible posted:

Arggghh another E:D feature that was derided by SC fans as poo poo because Croberts didn't think to include it in VISION 1.0 and now it's coming it is an amazing genre redefining moment. How do these people do this :psyduck:

Whatever it ends up being you can bet there will be a new set of jpegs that are awesome at doing it available with LTI for a limited time only

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Sarsapariller posted:

Some top-tier AAA starship dofighting right there.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The glass is always half full with you, isn't it?

Eldragon posted:

That's all I ever wanted in the first place.

It would be achievable too if CR had not tacked on so much "realism" and next-gen graphics bullshit.

I firmly believe it was achievable a year ago. The vast majority of problems we've seen have stemmed from the networking bullshit. Had they made it a single player game with limited co-op we'd be playing it right now.

TTerrible posted:

Well Horizons is being released on December 15th, so naturally CIG has to do something to one up the game they're totally not competing against.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
That video really shows the ships moving like players in noclip mode. It is weird as gently caress.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
So my Toejam and Earl kickstarter rewards came in, and compared to star citizen, its actually a thing compared to the ships they process in the 3d modeling app

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Hi everyone! I've been looking into this game for awhile now. I must admit that at first I was skeptical that a game of this magnitude (and caliber) could actually be delivered. However, after seeing the funding status and some actual gameplay from people I'm convinced that this is do-able. CIG really has some spectacular developers on hand.

So, I went out and purchased the Constellation Andromeda Game Package. Got everything downloaded and went to check out the ship in the hangar. Wow! Was really impressed by the level of detail and interact-able objects in the ship! I even got a little futuristic golf cart to play around in!

My biggest question right now is what all can I do? I've seen the Arena Commander options and whatnot, but I'm a little confused. Can I fly my new ship around? (or is it even 'ready'?) As a new user what all can I do to interact with the world? And how does one get into this PTU?

Thanks guys! Really looking forward to being a member of the community!

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Daztek posted:

Hi everyone! I've been looking into this game for awhile now. I must admit that at first I was skeptical that a game of this magnitude (and caliber) could actually be delivered. However, after seeing the funding status and some actual gameplay from people I'm convinced that this is do-able. CIG really has some spectacular developers on hand.

So, I went out and purchased the Constellation Andromeda Game Package. Got everything downloaded and went to check out the ship in the hangar. Wow! Was really impressed by the level of detail and interact-able objects in the ship! I even got a little futuristic golf cart to play around in!

My biggest question right now is what all can I do? I've seen the Arena Commander options and whatnot, but I'm a little confused. Can I fly my new ship around? (or is it even 'ready'?) As a new user what all can I do to interact with the world? And how does one get into this PTU?

Source your quotes.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Daztek posted:

Sign here, here, here and here.

Thank you, you may now fly your ship. What do you mean? Oh this? Nah, it's nothing, just a waiver giving us all your earthly possessions you won't need while plugged into the game for the rest of your life.

Biscuit Hider
Apr 12, 2005

Biscuit Hider

Daztek posted:

This is a legit post, for sure

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.

Daztek posted:

Welcome !!

Well you can :
- Hang pirates
- Form racist space gangs
- Raid ships and have 'surprise sex' with the occupants
- Mix drinks in space
- Drive the gently caress out of that cool golf buggy in hilarious ways

And this is just the tip of the iceberg .

Just a small caveat, the above mentioned really cool and fun features are not actually implemented yet

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I firmly believe it was achievable a year ago. The vast majority of problems we've seen have stemmed from the networking bullshit. Had they made it a single player game with limited co-op we'd be playing it right now.

Probably true. At minimum CIG should have started out with the goal of limited coop and slowly expanded instancing/mmo as their tech caught up.

However, the game as it stands right now still crashes a lot, and my top end rig can't run it at more than 20-25 fps. Not to mention they are years behind on ship development from chasing perfectionism. So I think they have some bottlenecks in the "Fidelity" department as well.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

TTerrible posted:

That video really shows the ships moving like players in noclip mode. It is weird as gently caress.

As a person that does not play space sims nor know anything about space travel beyond star wars, is that in some way realistic? it's really weird and looks like goat simulator or something.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
It's fairly realistic.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

hanales posted:

As a person that does not play space sims nor know anything about space travel beyond star wars, is that in some way realistic? it's really weird and looks like goat simulator or something.

It's okay so long as they only accelerate and turn with massive impulses instead of prolonged burns.

The only problem is that if you go for realism in a space combat game the natural result is programming your computer to fight for you because a lot of decisions will be made too fast for you to think and all the targeting and so on will be done by machines anyways.

blueberrysmith
May 4, 2006

Dirty Sanchez

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Some top-tier AAA starship dofighting right there.

That's some janky poo poo. They should just release it as is. Game is primed for endless trolling.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

theultimo posted:

So my Toejam and Earl kickstarter rewards came in, and compared to star citizen, its actually a thing compared to the ships they process in the 3d modeling app

woah you got a car with that

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

hanales posted:

It looks this way because the ships in this high fidelity ultra realistic space game don't appear to have any mass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

TTerrible posted:

no you see we all know that it's been done

it just hasn't been done right

• Locked thread