Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Dammit I thought I checked every thread down to the October chat thread on page 3.

Blind it is!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Uthor posted:

I, too, have one as a rental! There's two levers on the floor, driver's side, to the left of the seat, next to the door sill. One's for the trunk, the other is for the fuel.

Turns out it's an Elantra GT. Looks like the door is just tied to the central locking mechanism. Awaiting confirmation now.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
2009 BMW Z4 (E89) sdrive30. Sucked in a lot of dust at the track, want to replace air filters.

Cabin air filter is part 64 31 9 195 194. Is there any reason not to just get the also-fit brands for around half as much as the OEM/superior-german-adhesives filter? Planning on getting the charcoal ones regardless.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/SuperCat/4803/BMW_4803_VENTAC_pg1.htm
http://smile.amazon.com/Mann-Filter-CUK-2339-Filter-Activated/dp/B001DRHMN2/

And funny story, the engine air filter shows two very different shapes as "valid" for my car, same question, but I will pop out my filter to know which shape I should buy.

http://smile.amazon.com/MAHLE-Original-LX-1250-Filter/dp/B0080E52L0
http://smile.amazon.com/Mann-Filter-W0133-1846450-MAN-Mann-Filter-Air/dp/B005BFL1L6/r
http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/SuperCat/4803/BMW_4803_BASFLT_pg1.htm

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

2000 Honda Accord LX, 5spd. Recently replaced rear brake lines, drums, shoes, hardware, and drums leading to major sunken cost fallacy. Fuel line is leaking vapor but not liquid causing a strong smell of gas, clutch is slipping (Exedy "sport" clutch and lightweight flywheel with 60k miles, most of which was bumper to bumper stop and go traffic , steering rack is leaking a quart of of PS fluid a week, SRS light has been on for 4 years at this point and the airbag probably never would have worked. Front and rear sway bar end links are all blown out and I have all 4 replacements plus the Acura RS stiff rear sway bar with bushings.

I have a driveway but not a garage. My credit rating is mediocre after several years of being the only one in my family with a job. I need to bite the bullet and buy a new [used/certified pre-owned] car, don't I?

GWBBQ fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Dec 11, 2015

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

H110Hawk posted:

2009 BMW Z4 (E89) sdrive30. Sucked in a lot of dust at the track, want to replace air filters.

Cabin air filter is part 64 31 9 195 194. Is there any reason not to just get the also-fit brands for around half as much as the OEM/superior-german-adhesives filter? Planning on getting the charcoal ones regardless.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/SuperCat/4803/BMW_4803_VENTAC_pg1.htm
http://smile.amazon.com/Mann-Filter-CUK-2339-Filter-Activated/dp/B001DRHMN2/

And funny story, the engine air filter shows two very different shapes as "valid" for my car, same question, but I will pop out my filter to know which shape I should buy.

http://smile.amazon.com/MAHLE-Original-LX-1250-Filter/dp/B0080E52L0
http://smile.amazon.com/Mann-Filter-W0133-1846450-MAN-Mann-Filter-Air/dp/B005BFL1L6/r
http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/SuperCat/4803/BMW_4803_BASFLT_pg1.htm

Some brands are better than others. I usually just get Bosch as it's OEM but doesn't have the VAG logos and part numbers but is the exact same part otherwise. I don't know what BMW uses tbh.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

GWBBQ posted:

2000 Honda Accord LX, 5spd. Recently replaced rear brake lines, drums, shoes, hardware, and drums leading to major sunken cost fallacy. Fuel line is leaking vapor but not liquid causing a strong smell of gas, clutch is slipping (Exedy "sport" clutch and lightweight flywheel with 60k miles, most of which was bumper to bumper stop and go traffic , steering rack is leaking a quart of of PS fluid a week, SRS light has been on for 4 years at this point and the airbag probably never would have worked. Front and rear sway bar end links are all blown out and I have all 4 replacements plus the Acura RS stiff rear sway bar with bushings.

I have a driveway but not a garage. My credit rating is mediocre after several years of being the only one in my family with a job. I need to bite the bullet and buy a new [used/certified pre-owned] car, don't I?

Would you rather make 60 payments, or the equivalent of 1-2 by fixing it?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

spankmeister posted:

Some brands are better than others. I usually just get Bosch as it's OEM but doesn't have the VAG logos and part numbers but is the exact same part otherwise.

On my Jetta Mk4 2.slow I was throwing parts at the coil pack and the sparkplug wires from Autozone had the VAG logos half heartedly ground off such that you could still see ~50% of the VW/Audi on it. Should I just pop out my current filters and buy whichever manufacturer it says on them then? Seems reasonable to me.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

spankmeister posted:

Some brands are better than others. I usually just get Bosch as it's OEM but doesn't have the VAG logos and part numbers but is the exact same part otherwise. I don't know what BMW uses tbh.

I'm fairly certain BMW uses MANN filters. You could probably also go with something decent but aftermarket like a wix (part no. 24518) which has activated carbon filters at a cheaper ($16 v $21) price and still has the exact same specs/filtering. And I think all 4 major chain parts stores anymore have a line that is pretty much OEM replacement parts with their branding. Ex: O'Reilly's has Import Direct and Advance Auto bought Carquest with sole intention of getting their access to the worldpac line.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Dec 11, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

GWBBQ posted:

As long as you stay up with timing belts, that car will run forever. Of course, being a 98-02 Accord, the paint will be falling off long before the engine even hiccups; my 01 LX had peeling clearcoat by 2007.

I've seen F series engines (the 4 banger used in 90-02 Accords) with over half a million miles on them without anything beyond basic maintenance, and seen a couple with over a million miles on the original engine. You'll go through a distributor here and there, and probably a gearbox by then (since the synchros usually wear out by then), but those engines are hilariously durable as long as you feed them a timing belt now and then. A friend of mine has a 98 that's been run dry on oil multiple times now, has over 250k, and still runs decent (it's a bit rattly since, well, driven with the oil light lit solid for several days in a row multiple times, but it runs, and it's been rattling away for a year now without getting worse).

Did you not replace the rear main seal when you did the clutch? 60k, even in traffic, shouldn't have killed it. Yeah, a clutch job is expensive, so is a steering rack, but you have to put serious effort into it if you want to make that car even think about hiccuping. As long as it's not dumping rust every time you hit a bump, it's worth keeping it on the road.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Dec 11, 2015

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

GWBBQ posted:

Your accord should be covered under the Takata airbag recall. Check that out.

Swaybar links you can do yourself in your driveway easily. The steering? Try and find where the leak is coming from - if it's just a hose - replace it yourself!

Fuel vapor - is your check engine light on with an EVAP code?

Clutch - I'm also saying rear main seal on that one.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Ozmiander posted:

Would you rather make 60 payments, or the equivalent of 1-2 by fixing it?
I'm mostly concerned about more stuff breaking as soon as this is fixed, but the responses are reassuring. I paid around $6000 for it about 6 years ago, I'm pretty sure I'm looking at around $2000 in repairs if the whole rack and pinion plus the clutch and flywheel need to be replaced.

The clutch was replaced when the engine blew and had to be replaced a few weeks after I bought it (and two days after the dealer I bought it from was shut down for tax evasion and the owner fled the country :toot:) I assume the guy who replaced the engine would have checked or replaced the seals, but I did have some issues and had to take it back a couple of times so maybe he didn't do the greatest job. Alternately, this was the first car I owned with a manual transmission, I thought I was decent at driving stick when I got it but maybe I wasn't? I also checked back and it wasn't a sport clutch, it was this OEM replacement with lightweight flywheel.

Yes I do have an EVAP code. I was planning to do the swaybar and links myself, I just need to find my missing jack stand. I'll put it up on ramps and check the power steering hoses this weekend.

NHTSA site says the airbag recall is only 2001 onward, but I'll double check.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
2009 Corolla LE Automatic transmission
82k miles, mostly suburb streets driving

My rear brakes make a soft grinding (grinding is almost too harsh a term) when braking but only after I've started up my car after its been sitting for an hour or more. The sound only lasts a block or three and then doesn't return until I repeat that cycle of parking, returning to the car after a while, and starting it back up again.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

GWBBQ posted:

I'm mostly concerned about more stuff breaking as soon as this is fixed, but the responses are reassuring. I paid around $6000 for it about 6 years ago, I'm pretty sure I'm looking at around $2000 in repairs if the whole rack and pinion plus the clutch and flywheel need to be replaced.

The clutch was replaced when the engine blew and had to be replaced a few weeks after I bought it (and two days after the dealer I bought it from was shut down for tax evasion and the owner fled the country :toot:) I assume the guy who replaced the engine would have checked or replaced the seals, but I did have some issues and had to take it back a couple of times so maybe he didn't do the greatest job. Alternately, this was the first car I owned with a manual transmission, I thought I was decent at driving stick when I got it but maybe I wasn't? I also checked back and it wasn't a sport clutch, it was this OEM replacement with lightweight flywheel.

Yes I do have an EVAP code. I was planning to do the swaybar and links myself, I just need to find my missing jack stand. I'll put it up on ramps and check the power steering hoses this weekend.

NHTSA site says the airbag recall is only 2001 onward, but I'll double check.

As long as you haven't been driving it with the clutch worn completely out (as in metal on metal contact), you should be able to reuse the flywheel with nothing more than resurfacing it. And even then, given the miles on it, as long as it wasn't starting to chatter, you could probably get away with just sanding the flywheel a bit.

What the hell killed the original engine? Those things are built pretty tough; overheating or a broken timing belt are usually the only things that gets them (and even then you're normally only looking at head work). That or, say, downshifting into 2nd instead of 4th at high speeds (did that to one Accord I owned, but had someone just slap new bearings in it afterwards for cheap, and drove it for another year or so).

mungtor
May 3, 2005

Yeah, I hate me too.
Nap Ghost
Does anybody know how to make the clutch in a Toyota Tacoma *not* suck? My dad has a 2014 Tacoma, 4-cyl 5-speed and the clutch is easily the worst I've ever driven (with the exception of another early 90s Tacoma).

It engages at the very top of the pedal, and the the engagement zone feels like it's about 1/4". He's tried bleeding it a couple times and complaining to the dealer, but that is met with a "they're all like that". In my limited sample that is kinda true, but internet research does no necessarily confirm. And, even if they arr "all like that" from the factory, are there any aftermarket options which are better?

Thanks!

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

mungtor posted:

Does anybody know how to make the clutch in a Toyota Tacoma *not* suck? My dad has a 2014 Tacoma, 4-cyl 5-speed and the clutch is easily the worst I've ever driven (with the exception of another early 90s Tacoma).

It engages at the very top of the pedal, and the the engagement zone feels like it's about 1/4". He's tried bleeding it a couple times and complaining to the dealer, but that is met with a "they're all like that". In my limited sample that is kinda true, but internet research does no necessarily confirm. And, even if they arr "all like that" from the factory, are there any aftermarket options which are better?

Thanks!

It is hard to tell from vernacular usage, but does the clutch engage almost immediately as you start releasing the pedal, or almost all the way off of the pedal?

mungtor
May 3, 2005

Yeah, I hate me too.
Nap Ghost

EightBit posted:

It is hard to tell from vernacular usage, but does the clutch engage almost immediately as you start releasing the pedal, or almost all the way off of the pedal?

Sorry about that. Almost all the way off the pedal. It's disengaged from the floor all the way up through 90% of the travel, and then it engages very sharply.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

mungtor posted:

Sorry about that. Almost all the way off the pedal. It's disengaged from the floor all the way up through 90% of the travel, and then it engages very sharply.

Depending on the pedal/cmc assembly, you may be able to alter the amount that the cmc rod screws into the pedal, changing the bite point of the clutch a bit. It is something to try in very small increments to make sure you don't gently caress something up.

Some pedal assemblies also have an adjustable upper stop, that can be messed with a bit too.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Is there a definitive best-bang-for-the-buck when it comes to coilovers for street and occasional track days?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
How can you possibly expect an answer without telling us what color your car is?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Is there a definitive best-bang-for-the-buck when it comes to coilovers for street and occasional track days?
Good standard dampers and springs, spend the money saved on tyres, practice.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

InitialDave posted:

Good standard dampers and springs, spend the money saved on tyres, practice.

The answer is almost always this. Don't forget decent brake pads too.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Godholio posted:

How can you possibly expect an answer without telling us what color your car is?

On green cars, a nice and cheap upgrade is to just take the stock suspension off a blue car.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Don't use red car suspension kits, though. Way too aggressive.

Nabisco
Feb 26, 2006

mungtor posted:

Thanks!

mungtor posted:

I have a 2006 and I actually learned how to drive stick on it the day I bought it. I thought the high catching clutch was normal until years later when I drove my friends mustang... and found that his clutch engages very low to the floor. It's normal and I can see it being very annoying if your used to other manuals. He will get used to it though.

At least he has a 2014 where they fixed the squeaking throw-out bearing.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Geirskogul posted:

Don't use red car suspension kits, though. Way too aggressive.
Good info, thanks

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Good info, thanks

In all seriousness the answer does depend on what car you're driving. Some models have choices out the rear end for anything you could possibly want to do, some have fuckall, and there's a lot of garbage out there.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Blinkman987 posted:

2009 Corolla LE Automatic transmission
82k miles, mostly suburb streets driving

My rear brakes make a soft grinding (grinding is almost too harsh a term) when braking but only after I've started up my car after its been sitting for an hour or more. The sound only lasts a block or three and then doesn't return until I repeat that cycle of parking, returning to the car after a while, and starting it back up again.

Is it raining a lot lately? If so it's probably just surface rust grinding off.

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!
BMW E46, 325i wagon.

My power steering went a few weeks back, finally got around to replacing the pump on Friday and it's working great. The only issue is that I now have that same groaning sound the old pump was making when I turn at low speeds. I did the whole priming, filling, refilling thing with the new pump and the fluid isn't leaking out anywhere - could it be air in the system, do I need to bleed it or do another flush/refill? Or could this be something in the rack itself that's killing my power steering pumps?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
1998 Honda Civic

I think my air mode motor went out on me this morning, and I have no idea what the sequence of diagnosing/replacing should be.

For the last few weeks I was hearing a noticeable whirring noise when toggling between any air mode, before it finally stopped working this morning. Judging from what I was hearing, I'm expecting some manner of mechanical failure, but I honestly don't know enough about cars to feel confidant in that call.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Enourmo posted:

In all seriousness the answer does depend on what car you're driving. Some models have choices out the rear end for anything you could possibly want to do, some have fuckall, and there's a lot of garbage out there.
I'm contemplating an FC RX7 with an LS swap.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
What ls?

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

LS2 :shrug: It will be a while before I have time and space to actually build anything

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Cthulhuite posted:

BMW E46, 325i wagon.

My power steering went a few weeks back, finally got around to replacing the pump on Friday and it's working great. The only issue is that I now have that same groaning sound the old pump was making when I turn at low speeds. I did the whole priming, filling, refilling thing with the new pump and the fluid isn't leaking out anywhere - could it be air in the system, do I need to bleed it or do another flush/refill? Or could this be something in the rack itself that's killing my power steering pumps?

Either there's still air in the system or the replacement pump is also faulty. This isn't particularly farfetched because BMW power steering pumps are terrible poo poo.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
2004 Honda Accord

It's been starting up a bit slower than I'd like a few weeks ago, but today it will turn a few times and not start up, eventually barely turning once and not starting up. The car is stuck at my apartment and I have no friends/family that could give me a ride to an autoparts store, I'm not sure if it's a sparkplug or battery issue. Is there any way I can figure out what the issue is to give you guys more information or any advice on how the hell I can get my car fixed when it's immobile would be appreciated. I can probably take a taxi or uber to an autoparts store, if I know what to pick up.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Do you have a multimeter?

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

InitialDave posted:

Do you have a multimeter?

No unfortunately.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Ok, at a bare minimum, I think you need to get the car's battery on charge, and have a multimeter and some basic hand tools in order to make any kind of progress.

My first instinct is that you have an issue with the battery itself, the charging system, or the wiring for the charging and starting systems.

When you crank it, was it showing any other symptoms other than being slower than it was before? Dash lights dimming etc? Is there anything noticeably wrong with the battery or main cabling? Corrosion on contacts, signs of overheating like buckled battery casing or melted cable insulation?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
How old is the battery? After a while they do just straight up die, and since it sounds like it's been going downhill for a while I'd bet that's what you have here. I'd get a jump start from someone and get to the nearest auto parts place, all of them do free battery/charging systems tests and if it's the battery you can just buy a new one and swap it on the spot.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Got AAA coming by to check out the battery and/or replace it if need be. Hoping just that is the issue, don't mind buying a battery from them. They said they'll check the starter and some other stuff as well. Hopefully it goes well, thanks for the info guys. I'll definitely be more prepared to diagnose/charge/etc after today, first time I've ever had a battery die on me like this in that my lights and stuff still go on but it doesn't seem like its getting enough juice to turn it over more than it needs to. Hopefully it's a simple fix, I can't really afford anything over 1000 bucks or so repair-wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

Ive got a Nissan Titan with the 5.5ft bed. Who/where is a good spot to shop for tonneau covers? Whats something to look for so I dont buy total poo poo?