Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

zedprime posted:

The fake identity wasn't purposeful, its implied he lightning rodded Zack's lifeforce before it could return to the lifestream and until he gets his consciousness sorted back out he's operating in a strange state of being where Cloud, Zack, and Jenova are all but arguing in his head over what to do at certain points.

The real Cloud ends up learning from some of that allowing him to be confident among his new friends, vis a vis let's mosey.

Cloud took some credit for the fake identity.

quote:

Red XIII: Don't say anything, Cloud. All you've been doing is apologizing.

Cloud: I never was in SOLDIER. I made up the stories about what happened to me five years ago, about being in SOLDIER. I left my village looking for glory, but never made it in to SOLDIER...... I was so ashamed of being so weak; then I heard this story from my friend Zack... And I created an illusion of myself made up of what I had seen in my life...... And I continued to play the charade as if it were true.

It's implied that Cloud becoming Zack in his mind was due to a large part because he wanted to be Zack and didn't want to be himself. That's why Tifa brought him out of it by showing that his real self wasn't so bad. It was important for them to see in the dream that when they were kids, he thought she didn't pay any attention to him. He was lonely because they didn't invite him to be a part of their group. (She helps him through that memory by telling him that she thought about him a lot after he left town) It was also important for them to see and talk about Cloud feeling guilty for not stopping her from falling off of a cliff and going into a coma. He said he felt she blamed him. Then because he thought he was too weak, he tried to join Soldier to get tougher and couldn't even get in. That's all important for why he believed he was Zack.

I would classify him as a bit sad brains, yeah. I love that Cloud is insecure and he's not a perfect action hero. If it was shown to me that he was always a confident guy with no emotional baggage, that would really lessen my opinion on the game. But based on the above dialogue, the whole dream sequence, and later with TIfa where he's still having trouble telling her how he feels, I don't see how that could be the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I found a guy in LR who I swear is playing the theme from Daguerro from FF9 on a guitar.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Fister Roboto posted:

I found a guy in LR who I swear is playing the theme from Daguerro from FF9 on a guitar.

I wouldn't be surprised. There are quite a few musical homages hidden (or not so hidden in some cases) in the game.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Lightning Returns is great because from the very beginning of the game Lightning just straight out proclaims that if god fucks her on their deal, she'll gently caress him back.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

Yep. There's a dude playing Battle on the Big Bridge too.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Yep. There's a dude playing Battle on the Big Bridge too.

And you can find people playing Terra's Theme also.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
I really liked Cloud because he was just an everyday sort of guy. He saw himself as a bit of a loser, but he rose up to the challenge of being put into a crazy situation and came out of it a better person.

It reminds me of the Middle-Earth books where it's been said that Tolkien considered Sam to be the one of most heroic characters, because he was just a really humble little guy who did great things.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The revelation Cloud was just a little dork who wanted to impress a girl does go a long way to making him endearing. I like him more because of the whole psychological aspect and identity crisis but the Lifestream flashbacks are really good. When Cloud removes his Shinra helmet, that was one of my fondest memories from my first time playing FFVII. The music lined up perfectly for it and everything.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

I'm playing LR with an Xbox controller and both triggers are mapped to LT so I can't use libra, it does overclock instead. Anyone else having this problem?

Edit: I figured it out, I had to install an old driver to make it work with 13-2 and now LR wants the up to date version instead. PC gaming!

Tempo 119 fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Dec 11, 2015

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Egh, I think I might have gotten myself into a near-unwinnable state in the Dunes. I found some thing underground and now the only way out is to fight two enemies, but I'm at 900 health with no items. Hopefully I can find some configuration of DLC stuff that lets me survive, cause I've been trying over and over to no avail.

Are enemies considered Staggered for only a single hit? I noticed the Slayer option for the Cloud costume went away if I didn't use it immediately.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Momomo posted:

Egh, I think I might have gotten myself into a near-unwinnable state in the Dunes. I found some thing underground and now the only way out is to fight two enemies, but I'm at 900 health with no items. Hopefully I can find some configuration of DLC stuff that lets me survive, cause I've been trying over and over to no avail.

Are enemies considered Staggered for only a single hit? I noticed the Slayer option for the Cloud costume went away if I didn't use it immediately.

Do you have any EP? You can heal yourself with Curaga. You can also wait until Hope calls you back to the Ark.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

I don't remember- do you still have to fight them even if you flee the battle?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I only have one EP, and don't really want to waste the entire day (it's like noon) even if it doesn't matter in the long run. Fleeing the battle doesn't let you skip past them either, unfortunately.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
All this CC talk makes me want to finally play it. Can it be purchased on a Vita/PSTV?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

im pretty sure it's umd only because square is weird sometimes

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
Well poo poo.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
Completely unrelated question, are there any reliable PSP emulators?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

yeah ppsspp it's called

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
ppsspp is amazing

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Cake Attack posted:

im pretty sure it's umd only because square is weird sometimes

Gackt License, I heard.

Is there a general progression path in LR, because I'm pretty sure every enemy encounter is not supposed to be a boss fight to the point that I have to constantly replenish resources every fight.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Tae posted:

Gackt License, I heard.

Is there a general progression path in LR, because I'm pretty sure every enemy encounter is not supposed to be a boss fight to the point that I have to constantly replenish resources every fight.

the fights get harder each day, so you're supposed to be able to do it in whatever order you want, but there are fewer enemies in two city storylines, so you may want to start there. the quest rewards will help you better deal with the combat-focused wildlands and desert areas.

try to learn how to stagger stuff effectively -- usually enemies have a special condition that gives a bunch of stagger, but magic also always works well (especially if you hit what they're weak to). countering attacks and spell-casting is always effective. and debuffs are crazy effective, just like in 13 -- when i played i had a dedicated debuffing schemata, but you can mix them up if you like.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Well, that was my main problem then. I'm in Wetlands fighting the mecha bugs (those lovely thing have like a billion hp) and behemoths.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
ok, yeah, behemoths are bad news and really are equivalent to most early boss fights. you are supposed to avoid those until later, because they will wreck you. the insects however are just really physical resistant iirc -- if you use elemental stuff on them they'll go down faster, but they're still worth avoiding until later.

it seems weird at first but remember that all you get from fights is magic and EP, not stats, so if there's an enemy giving you trouble then you can just avoid fighting it and suffer no penalties. you can always come back later and grab whatever skills it drops.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Yeah, those bugs only appear for like an hour a day, but they're huge slogs when you first start.

corn in the bible posted:

the fights get harder each day, so you're supposed to be able to do it in whatever order you want, but there are fewer enemies in two city storylines, so you may want to start there. the quest rewards will help you better deal with the combat-focused wildlands and desert areas.

To be precise, I don't think the enemies get stronger every day, just at certain points. Like, after 7 days, and again after 10 or something. I don't recall the specifics.

I recommend people play their first run on easy. There's really no serious downsides, you regenerate health between fights so healing isn't such a pain, and you get more EP, meaning it's easier to freeze time and there's less time pressure to get everything done. Plus, I think a lot of people will be surprised how challenging the game can be until you really get the hang of it.

Other recommendations-
  • Specialize your schemata. A magical one, a physical one, and a defensive/debuffing one is a pretty standard setup. This lets you min-max your stats to be most effective.
  • Keep your schemata consistent. For example, always start on your debuffing one, with your magic on L1 and your physical on R1 or whatever. Keep your button mapping consistent: always keep your defensive move on the same button, and your best stagger-building ability mapped to the same button (you can even change the buttons for abilities that are locked to a garb). This will all help you learn to change roles and use abilities without thinking about it so much- it'll become second nature.
  • Abilities with multi-hits tend to work the best for staggering. Namely, Thundara and Aerora are basically the best staggering abilities, typically beating out even higher-tiered spells. Also, building stagger is not tied to damage. You can still stagger things with magic even if you're not really doing any damage.
  • Different monsters have different stagger conditions. Libra them all up to try and figure things out. Also, staggering does different things to different monsters- it won't necessarily make them take more damage; it might give them other debuffs, or make them vulnerable to statuses instead.
  • Avoid fighting monsters if your EP is full. You can hunt monsters to extinction, and in some areas it's surprisingly easy. If you kill most of the monsters off in the first couple of days, you won't have anything to fuel your EP on later days.
  • Always check the ground after defeating a boss or one of the "Last Ones" (the last mini-boss tougher version of a monster type before they go extinct). They drop items, and I don't remember if it ended up patched later on PS3, but you could end up permanently missing nice items if you didn't notice the sparkly on the ground.

I dunno, there's probably other stuff. I haven't played it in a long time.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

zedprime posted:

The fake identity wasn't purposeful, its implied he lightning rodded Zack's lifeforce before it could return to the lifestream and until he gets his consciousness sorted back out he's operating in a strange state of being where Cloud, Zack, and Jenova are all but arguing in his head over what to do at certain points.

The real Cloud ends up learning from some of that allowing him to be confident among his new friends, vis a vis let's mosey.

I'm gonna take this as literal and assume the Barrett date option is due to Jenova having a thing for him.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Tae posted:

Gackt License, I heard.

Gackt continues to be the worst thing that ever happened to the Final Fantasy VII universe. Crisis Core is a great game if I do everything I can to ignore anything involving Genesis. What a poo poo character.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Tempo 119 posted:

I'm playing LR with an Xbox controller and both triggers are mapped to LT so I can't use libra, it does overclock instead. Anyone else having this problem?

Edit: I figured it out, I had to install an old driver to make it work with 13-2 and now LR wants the up to date version instead. PC gaming!

What driver? You just plug the controller in and it works.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Tae posted:

Gackt License, I heard.

It's Ayaka, not Gackt. The dude just provided his voice for the game, he has little to do with the game otherwise. Ayaka has the same kind of thing that Hikaru Utada does with the KH games that because of their music it prevents the game's from digital distribution.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Schwartzcough posted:

Yeah, those bugs only appear for like an hour a day, but they're huge slogs when you first start.

To be precise, I don't think the enemies get stronger every day, just at certain points. Like, after 7 days, and again after 10 or something. I don't recall the specifics.

I recommend people play their first run on easy. There's really no serious downsides, you regenerate health between fights so healing isn't such a pain, and you get more EP, meaning it's easier to freeze time and there's less time pressure to get everything done. Plus, I think a lot of people will be surprised how challenging the game can be until you really get the hang of it.

I too recommend easy on the first go. Normal is pretty unforgiving. It should've been Hard mode. As the days go on different enemies start appearing in areas, but it's relatively minor. The big thing is that after day 7 or so, every level's final boss basically gets an upgraded form and new attacks. I'm pretty sure it's to punish you from grinding in the beginning of the game just to finish them all off towards the end. Why Square felt that was needed is anyone's guess.

If you play normal you'll have quite a few days buffer. I don't think there's a good ending, just succeed/fail. But a lot of the best gear and a secret dungeon opens up if you've completed all the main levels by, I forget which day.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Normal seems like a perfectly fair challenge. And for my second playthrough I'm going to try and beat all the Day 7 bosses this time, because you get cooler loot.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Here's a screenshot from the PC release of Lightning Returns

See if you can spot something that doesn't belong

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Can't say I notice anything other than Lightning Returns Final Fantasy XIII automatically saves your progress

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I love not turning off my ps3 when playing on pc so it doesn't bother me

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
What times we live in where the game is automatically saved. Now you no longer have to worry about losing progress if the power goes out. Unless the power goes out while saving then you're hosed.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Tae posted:

Every enemy requires some strategy fighting anything head on is always really hard. There is always some weakness or trick for like 90% of the enemies, the number that you just stand there and hit attack, attack, attack like a regular final fantaay game is extremely small.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

The Grimace posted:

Gackt continues to be the worst thing that ever happened to the Final Fantasy VII universe. Crisis Core is a great game if I do everything I can to ignore anything involving Genesis. What a poo poo character.

He's not that bad. Thinking back on it now, part of why he turns into such a weirdo and gets so obsessed with the poem is probably because he's literally dying, and as he goes crazier and crazier his mind latches onto something to obsess over and to take hope from. I know a lot of people wish there would have been some other main villain for Crisis Core, but the only things canonically going on from what FF7 tells us of that time was the Wutai War and the original AVALANCHE, which the Before Crisis cell phone game already was dealing with at the same time as Zack was doing stuff. They had to invent some kind of villain and plot for the game other than "war, then the actual core of the crisis with sephiroth going butt crazy, then zack and cloud busting out, then zack dying and cloud limping to midgar", because otherwise I think it'd resemble a call of duty game.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Baal posted:

What times we live in where the game is automatically saved. Now you no longer have to worry about losing progress if the power goes out. Unless the power goes out while saving then you're hosed.

imo you should check out the last paragraph in that screenshot

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Instant Grat posted:

I did and I'm still confused. Seems a pretty clear message about autosaving on your Lightning Waifu videogame?

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Instant Grat posted:

when you see it, you'll poo poo bricks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Instant Grat posted:

What driver? You just plug the controller in and it works.

Normally yes but for some reason FF13-2 + Xbox One controller + Windows 10 ("the bad decision combo") didn't work and I ended up having to install an old Windows 8 driver.