Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

mackintosh posted:

Walking into Railroad HQ in a fully decked out X-01, turning on red tactical lights and proceeding to mow down everyone with a an explosive minigun has gone a long way towards salvaging this storyline for me.

That's how I cleared out The Institute. Body parts everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The minigun is a really iconic weapon but in this game you get it about the same time you are getting pipe pistols so I'm not really surprised it's a low end weapon. I think it just takes a while to get over that.

That's fine, but you need Gun Nut 3 and 4 to actually mod it, so those mods should bring it up to that level at least, and they really don't.

Buckets
Apr 10, 2009

...THE CHILD...

Speedball posted:

gently caress YEAH. Let me be a Deathclaw Rider! Or at least a Radstag Rider.

They already have a system set up that could easily be used for faster surface travel and it kind of blows my mind that they didn't use it at all. It's called power armor, it takes fuel to use and you can get in and out of it wherever you want pretty much. They could have just made some mods for the legs that add wheels that pop out or something. Like, hold down sprint while standing still to hunker down and change to heely mode.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

coyo7e posted:

Single shot chambered assault and combat rifles are really excellent, and with a two-step one you will outclass anything but a two-step or explosive guass rifle that I've found. The small drop in top damage balances out with being able to dump 20-80 rounds into something's chest as it comes at you, and when you've got 4600 5.56 rounds, it doesn't matter.

That's a really good idea- I've been ignoring combat rifles because of the ammo's scarcity compared to 38/308, but the rate of fire is a good point.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Omi no Kami posted:

That's a really good idea- I've been ignoring combat rifles because of the ammo's scarcity compared to 38/308, but the rate of fire is a good point.
I ended up using a highly-modded combat or assault rifle with high end semi auto attachments and a suppressor a TON after level 40 or 50, you can single shot most unaware enemies, and with a large quick eject mag you've got like 40 or 60 rounds. Once your ammo gets low switch receivers for a few hours until things level out again! ;)

Recently I restarted as a mostly melee character then restarted again because I was curious about loving around with idiot savant and making a character which is 4s across the board, and an intention to just pump all my stats up to 11. Idiot Savant really helps although I wouldn't bother to save scum with it much past the first couple quests, although getting 3 levels at a turn-in is pretty nice.

Apparently int 4 is the optimal amount of Int for overall EXP gain, between the idiot savant chance and the int bonus (4 is a nice round 10% bonmus iirc) FYI.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Dec 12, 2015

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Been playing some Fallout Shelter. That poo poo is addicting as hell, it's a pure skinner box but at least a well presented one. I like that you can get plenty of content without having to pay anything too.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Omi no Kami posted:

I've been using an explosive .45 combat rifle for ages and I've run into tonnes and tonnes of ammo for it (certainly never seen the counter drop below 999)

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What's a good pistol to use? Been carrying my 10mm for at least a dozen hours now.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

What's a good pistol to use? Been carrying my 10mm for at least a dozen hours now.

You'll probably just keep upgrading that 10mm with mods, honestly. Until you get a legendary, probably from one of the quests. At which point you'll swap all the mods over to that one.

That or plasma pistols.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Buckets posted:

They already have a system set up that could easily be used for faster surface travel and it kind of blows my mind that they didn't use it at all. It's called power armor, it takes fuel to use and you can get in and out of it wherever you want pretty much. They could have just made some mods for the legs that add wheels that pop out or something. Like, hold down sprint while standing still to hunker down and change to heely mode.

Holy poo poo, yeah! Heel-wheels for power armor, I love it!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Power Armor rockets skates mod when

Buckets
Apr 10, 2009

...THE CHILD...
With the way the power armor system is now I can imagine modders making all kinds of wild vehicle mods a lot more easily then they could back in the day.

This game has an insanely strong foundation to build up on game play mechanics wise. It's to bad that mods can't really fix the script.

Buckets fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Dec 12, 2015

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

FrankieGoes posted:

I just wish the assholes in sanctuary would stop hassling me about helping their loving junkie grandma OD on crack. It's what she wanted, you tits, have some respect for her wishes.
My newest character I immediately tried to kill Marcy Long but it turned everyone (even my companions who weren't actively following me) aggro, and after I dropped her to 0 and she instantly stood up again at full health three times, I just gave up and left the place as a redline zone.

Friar Zucchini posted:

Yes but why bother pickpocketing them when you can just kill them and search them later when they're dead? :colbert:

...serious question actually, that's basically free XP if you're high level and want their poo poo, just kill the fucker.
Free 100/100 fusion cores? Being able to force an enemy out of power armor before killing them? Sticking molotovs in people's pants?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Deliverer, Kellog's Pistol.

coyo7e posted:

My newest character I immediately tried to kill Marcy Long but it turned everyone (even my companions who weren't actively following me) aggro, and after I dropped her to 0 and she instantly stood up again at full health three times, I just gave up and left the place as a redline zone.

I'm trying to see what happens if Sanctuary hits the population cap before I rescue those people.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

dissss posted:

I've been using an explosive .45 combat rifle for ages and I've run into tonnes and tonnes of ammo for it (certainly never seen the counter drop below 999)

Huh, do you have high levels of scrounger or something? I've been obsessively looting every place/body I find, and I'm still broke as a joke- 30 hours in I have 300 308 rounds, 70 shotgun shells, and 917 5.56 rounds

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Omi no Kami posted:

Huh, do you have high levels of scrounger or something? I've been obsessively looting every place/body I find, and I'm still broke as a joke- 30 hours in I have 300 308 rounds, 70 shotgun shells, and 917 5.56 rounds

Do you pick up all the guns from dead enemies? You should be swimming in 38 ammo if you do, like 1000+ and 45 ammo is also very plentiful.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Lotish posted:

That's fine, but you need Gun Nut 3 and 4 to actually mod it, so those mods should bring it up to that level at least, and they really don't.

Perk points in the big gunner perk can increase the damage a lot. And that is in the high end strength tree.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

I only took the first level of scrounger and i'm pretty sure at level 40 I had 2000+ rounds of .45 before i sold them for bartering. I never really used any .45 guns though because the SMG is crap unless you get a good legendary.

Buckets
Apr 10, 2009

...THE CHILD...
Even with scrounger I think some ammo types, like shotgun shells, are bugged to not appear as often. But I would highly recommend still taking at least the first rank as fast as possible.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Omi no Kami posted:

Sell your ammo. You get lots of caps for them. I used to sell off about half my ammo stashes and all of the ammo I don't use.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Rakthar posted:

Do you pick up all the guns from dead enemies? You should be swimming in 38 ammo if you do, like 1000+ and 45 ammo is also very plentiful.

...wait, does looting the gun add additional ammo? I've been glancing at bodies, snatching up the ammo and any legendaries/stimpacks, and leaving the junk guns to rot

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Omi no Kami posted:

...wait, does looting the gun add additional ammo? I've been glancing at bodies, snatching up the ammo and any legendaries/stimpacks, and leaving the junk guns to rot

Yep if you pick up the gun you get all the ammo from it. I have a feeling that the people complaining about ammo problems don't pick up the guns and the people who do pick up the guns get confused about people reporting ammo shortages.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
So I finally just unlocked Ballistic Weave and it seems.... incredibly arbitrary what it can and can't be applied to.

A newsboy cap is suitable (and far, far, far, FAR superior to an actual infantry helmet, amusingly enough) but a sea captain's hat isn't? It's just.... so random.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Rakthar posted:

Yep if you pick up the gun you get all the ammo from it. I have a feeling that the people complaining about ammo problems don't pick up the guns and the people who do pick up the guns get confused about people reporting ammo shortages.

Gaaaah, so I am a moron. Holy crap, I wish something'd made that clear in-game.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Omi no Kami posted:

Not at all bro I think about 40% of people don't loot guns for the same reason that you do. I think about 10-20% know that there's a cover system in game.

But I bet you just about everyone knows the worthless tip about putting your weapon away so that your opponent can shoot you more easily while laughing.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Odobenidae posted:

I never really used any .45 guns though because the SMG is crap unless you get a good legendary.

After I bought Spray N' Pray, Cricket became my best friend for life. That gun is my go-to when I get tired of dicking around with my gimmicky melee weapon of the moment.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Power Armor rockets skates mod when

Jet Set Radio mod

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Omi no Kami posted:

Yeah it's a bug, but one that nobody really minds. If you pick up a gun off the floor you get that gun's full mag of ammo in your inventory. This doesn't apply if you grab the gun from a corpse's inventory window though.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Backhand posted:

So I finally just unlocked Ballistic Weave and it seems.... incredibly arbitrary what it can and can't be applied to.

A newsboy cap is suitable (and far, far, far, FAR superior to an actual infantry helmet, amusingly enough) but a sea captain's hat isn't? It's just.... so random.

Grab Armorsmith Extended, a good mod that makes like everything ballistic weave compatible, plus has the other cool bit of letting you wear gas masks with hats and stuff.

It's also one of those mods that are simple and clean to the point of not needing to worry about possible jank.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Dec 12, 2015

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

Jay Rust posted:

Kellogg's Pistol.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Anyone else having glitchy tato plants? I planted a bunch at two different settlements. When I travel back to check on them, they act like they are scenery. I can't interact with them and I can't do anything in the workshop menu. At one settlement some of the tato plants are normal but the ones next to them are broken. I had to disable them in console to make them go away.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Is there a guide on how you get the minutemen to blow up the airship ? I dont want to go to far in the railroad mainline

edit: but apparently you can do the above and get two defend the castle missions ?

Sylink fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Dec 12, 2015

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
It should be part of their endgame.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Anyone else having immense trouble finding .44 ammo? I have Scrounger rank 3 and I've almost never found any in a container or corpse. I find .50 and .308 constantly, but never .44.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
I feel like I've been getting pretty unlucky with my legendaries so far. I'll occasionally get a bit of leg armor that gives me like 15% DR against robots or something, but all the effects I've found on weapons have been rather...lackluster, or just kind of useless.

I found a 'Relentless' 10mm pistol, which fills your AP after a critical hit. I guess that's pretty useful if you just want to dump a mag of ammo into a target, crit it, then do it all again, but I haven't taken scrounger yet and I'm constantly having to buy more 10mm ammo whenever I can. Dropping like 15 bullets into an enemy doesn't sound like a decent payout for the ammo expended, especially when I can do more damage with a sawn-off shotgun crit.

I also found a 'Never Ending'....hunting rifle. I mean...I guess that's pretty alright, but given the rate of fire, not having to reload anymore doesn't really help much.

At least my Hunter's Crank Laser Musket was a good find for absolutely wrecking animals. Plus, with the 3 crank and a reflex sight, it's turned into my default sniper rifle of choice. Putting a 3-charge sneak attack onto pretty much anything deals colossal damage.

So, I've got 2 questions - to get the ammo in a gun, do you just pick it up and immediately move it back into the NPC's inventory? Or do you have to re-open your inventory and then drop it?

Also, which Perk increases shotgun damage? Gunslinger, Rifleman, or neither?

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Also on pistol chat: My favorite by far is a max modded pipe revolver. In .45 the ammo is dirt cheap, in .308 it's marginally more powerful and ammo is still decently common.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Seashell Salesman posted:

Anyone else having immense trouble finding .44 ammo? I have Scrounger rank 3 and I've almost never found any in a container or corpse. I find .50 and .308 constantly, but never .44.

I don't think I ever found any .44 ammo that was from the scrounger perk. I always had thousands of .50, .45, .38, and 5.56 but everything else I had to buy from any vendors I found.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Seashell Salesman posted:

You might need the fourth rank. I've heard that the fourth rank isn't an increase again but just adds more types of ammo.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

McKilligan posted:

Also, which Perk increases shotgun damage? Gunslinger, Rifleman, or neither?

Shotguns count as rifles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Alabaster White posted:

Shotguns count as rifles.

And autoshotties count as automatics.

• Locked thread