Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

And I definitely never used Selphie like at all.

I was playing VIII again recently and I had Selphie using magic instead of physical attacks and it was actually pretty cool. With double/triple + whatever magic she was doing a ton of damage and it was really neat. I only got to like half way through disc 2 though so maybe the damage falls off by the end

It's an easy game to break but it's a lot more fun when you play it at least semi-legit. (Refine cards/items for magic at least) Like yeah you can get the Lionheart on disc one but...why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I was always a "early party" fan. Cloud/Barrett/Tifa, Squall/Zell/Rinoa, Zidane/Steiner/Dagger/Vivi, Tidus/Wakka/Auron.

FF8 was easy because Quistis, Irvine and Selphie would be at the bottom of my list across all the games. Toss Cait Sith, Quina and Eiko down there too.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Electromax posted:

I was always a "early party" fan. Cloud/Barrett/Tifa, Squall/Zell/Rinoa, Zidane/Steiner/Dagger/Vivi, Tidus/Wakka/Auron.

FF8 was easy because Quistis, Irvine and Selphie would be at the bottom of my list across all the games. Toss Cait Sith, Quina and Eiko down there too.

I do this mainly because characters not in your party don't get any XP in those games (apart from FFX if you swap them in for a hit) and I can't be bothered grinding anyone else up. Of course that always comes back to bite you in inevitable 'split your party into two groups' bit.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Irvine is an example of how a super homogonus system is bad because attack animations heavily determine your usability and he had one of the slowest attacks in the game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Help Im Alive posted:

It's an easy game to break but it's a lot more fun when you play it at least semi-legit. (Refine cards/items for magic at least) Like yeah you can get the Lionheart on disc one but...why?

But then you have to play Tetra Master. No thanks. :haw:

E: Er triple triad, you know what I mean

Sakurazuka posted:

I do this mainly because characters not in your party don't get any XP in those games (apart from FFX if you swap them in for a hit) and I can't be bothered grinding anyone else up. Of course that always comes back to bite you in inevitable 'split your party into two groups' bit.

Yeah that definitely becomes an issue, so I tend to center in on a team and stick to them.

But then yeah, the game will do the "party split" and you're in trouble.

I know some RPGs make it so that your party continued to gain XP even if you weren't using them. Were none of the FFs like that? I know most weren't but I can't remember what game I'm thinking of that did that.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Dec 11, 2015

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

^ He's pretty fine overall, I'm not sure what you mean. He gets pretty amazing damage with fast ammo.

Electromax posted:

I was the opposite, usually. Late party members usually got into my team. Cloud/Cid/Yuffie(or Vincent), Tidus/Rikku/Auron (still counts, you don't get him back until late), Irvine in FFVIII, Fang in XIII, etc.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Electric Phantasm posted:

Kimahri is how blue mages should operate imo.
Kimahri and Quistis are exactly the opposite of how Blue Mages should operate, imo. "I have this really cool unique skillset, but I can only use it as a super special attack!" The problem is that there's a lot of lovely blue magic (even in FF8, who the gently caress thought basic stuff like Acid or that fat bug's attack would make a good limit break?) or utility spells. If you're restricted to using one once every dozen encounters, or only against bosses, you don't want to waste your time on 1000 Needles or Vanish, and considering status accuracy and immunity, you barely even want to use Stone Breath or Bad Breath.

The idea behind blue magic is that it's cool spells you've seen monsters use and you'll probably find some situational uses for it yourself in the future. Of course, at-will blue magic has its own troubles, but those tend to be more system design problems (after you learn a spell that teaches you slow-petrify, almost every monster in the rest of the game is immune to it; FF9's was that positive status effects are tied to the caster's Spirit stat, and Quina's was abysmal) than any problem inherent to being able to cast things at will (Big Guard and its various different translations excepted).

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

The White Dragon posted:

Kimahri and Quistis are exactly the opposite of how Blue Mages should operate, imo. "I have this really cool unique skillset, but I can only use it as a super special attack!"

I can't quote this enough.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

Kimahri and Quistis are exactly the opposite of how Blue Mages should operate, imo. "I have this really cool unique skillset, but I can only use it as a super special attack!" The problem is that there's a lot of lovely blue magic (even in FF8, who the gently caress thought basic stuff like Acid or that fat bug's attack would make a good limit break?) or utility spells. If you're restricted to using one once every dozen encounters, or only against bosses, you don't want to waste your time on 1000 Needles or Vanish, and considering status accuracy and immunity, you barely even want to use Stone Breath or Bad Breath.

The idea behind blue magic is that it's cool spells you've seen monsters use and you'll probably find some situational uses for it yourself in the future. Of course, at-will blue magic has its own troubles, but those tend to be more system design problems (after you learn a spell that teaches you slow-petrify, almost every monster in the rest of the game is immune to it; FF9's was that positive status effects are tied to the caster's Spirit stat, and Quina's was abysmal) than any problem inherent to being able to cast things at will (Big Guard and its various different translations excepted).

Quistis was fine because you could spam limits in FF8.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Sakurazuka posted:

Tifa's limit break is the best though because you get to use all of them in one go.

Yeah but I have bad luck and I always miss with like half of them, and the AI has a really annoying habit of hitting the same enemy 2 or 3 times and ignoring other enemies completely, even when the first hit is enough to kill them. It's pretty satisfying when they all go off though, I'll give you that.

Zell is basically the top-tier FF punchman for me because it's basically just mashing Tifa and Sabin together in a way that really works, and it also opens the door for totally broken poo poo when you've memorized the good attacks. If I recall correctly, you can actually kill Omega Weapon in one hit if you are fast enough with Zell's limit inputs.

Zaphod42 posted:

But then you have to play Tetra Master. No thanks. :haw:

E: Er triple triad, you know what I mean

Triple Triad was a lot of fun until you get to the part where all the bullshit impossible rule sets start mixing in and you have to do all sorts of obnoxious, obtuse things to make the game playable again. Way, way better than the steaming pile of poo poo that was Tetra Master.

But I'll always have a soft spot for VIII just because of how badly you can break the game within an hour or so of starting it.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Dec 11, 2015

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The biggest problem with the PS4 F7 port is that the menus now run at the same famerate as the 3D stuff and it messes up my timing on Tifa's limit breaks. :mad:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The White Dragon posted:

Should have been more clear I was talking about using a special skill to learn blue magic instead of waiting for the monster to attack you.

And yeah making blue magic a limt/overdrive only ability was really stupid.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Kimhari is kind of weird in that he's not actually that bad, but he doesn't appear overly useful until late in the game where characters like Lulu become really useless and Kimhari can do what she does much more efficiently. But then come post-game stuff or you're doing the International content, Kimarhi is kind of useless again since you should really be using Tidus, Wakka and Rikku because they're statistically the best or have the best overdrives.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Sakurazuka posted:

The biggest problem with the PS4 F7 port is that the menus now run at the same famerate as the 3D stuff and it messes up my timing on Tifa's limit breaks. :mad:

If you really want a challenge try doing Tifa's limit while on 3x speedup

Big money, big money, no whammies, STOP!

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Sakurazuka posted:

A ton of PS1 games were super tied to the refresh rate of a CRT screen. Playing on an LCD generally makes timing things feel really wrong. It's the reason games like parapa are super hard to play now. Back in the CRT days virtually every screen had the exact same refresh speed and amount of delay so everything is hard coded to that. LCD screens might have more or less delay (though usually more) and it fucks up timed button presses.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
I don't want to claim this is representative at all, but my wife and I babysit our neighbor's kid when she works late, and he's become completely obsessed with playing FFIX when he comes over. He's 12 and has otherwise played nothing but shooters, sports games, and action poo poo.

edit: All I'm saying is turn-based could still make it in mainstream console gaming.

edit 2: maybe

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That kid's gonna grow up a nerd now.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Tae posted:

Irvine is an example of how a super homogonus system is bad because attack animations heavily determine your usability and he had one of the slowest attacks in the game.

But on the flip side, he has the fastest limit break (either him or Zell) that makes him the best character.

Never used him though. Selphie was my homegirl and I think I used Quistis. Not sure why. The more I saw of VIII the more I hate her.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

you broke your neighbors kid

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Should I play VII or XIV

I can't make up my mind, maybe I'll try to do both... set FF7 to wait mode and then issue commands while I'm running from point to point in XIV?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

I always thought a hybrid Blue Magic system would be neat, where certain enemy skills would be "basic" and could be used at will during any encounter as stand-ins for regular attacks / spells, and other skills would "advanced" or something, where you could only use them as a limit break / overdrive / whatever the hell.

It would give a blue mage more utility and variety instead of making them incredibly situational, and it would cut down on the whole "save up for boss fights" thing.

FFVII's enemy skill was weird because it was a mostly-good system with a lot of unique attacks, but for the first 3/4s of the game there is always one or two totally overpowered attacks that wipe entire enemy formations instantly, and by the end of the game there's really no reason to use anything but Big Guard, and you really don't even need that.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
FF5 did Blue Mage right, other than the need for a Lancet-style manual draw ability. People talk about how overpowered it is every year during the fiesta, but there are really only like two problematic abilities that you could handle pretty easily by messing with things like boss status immunity toggles (like not allowing Level 5 Death to work on bosses ever). Outside of that stuff it's a versatile class with an answer for everything or way to deal damage in every situation, but rarely as much damage as a specialized warrior or offensive caster can muster. It rewards an advanced understanding of things like monster vulnerabilities and levels to use to its potential, which perfectly suits the theme of the class as a monster expert.

Like, Big Guard and White Wind are great, but so are Golem and Curaga.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
V

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Kimarhi's use is running around unlocking sphere grids and stealing high level skills so everyone else can grab them later. Or, in my last International run through, taking Yuna's job as White Mage while Yuna ran through Auron's path, making Yuna swole as gently caress and giving Bahamut something around 100 attack when I got him. He has 255 now.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Zombies' Downfall posted:

FF5 did Blue Mage right, other than the need for a Lancet-style manual draw ability. People talk about how overpowered it is every year during the fiesta, but there are really only like two problematic abilities that you could handle pretty easily by messing with things like boss status immunity toggles (like not allowing Level 5 Death to work on bosses ever). Outside of that stuff it's a versatile class with an answer for everything or way to deal damage in every situation, but rarely as much damage as a specialized warrior or offensive caster can muster. It rewards an advanced understanding of things like monster vulnerabilities and levels to use to its potential, which perfectly suits the theme of the class as a monster expert.

Like, Big Guard and White Wind are great, but so are Golem and Curaga.

The reason blue magic is so good in FF5 is because the game gives you multiple ways to manipulate levels, both your own and the enemies'. No other game in the series lets you do that to such an extent.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I used Kinahri as a ghetto Auron so that I could apply debuffs twice as fast

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Fister Roboto posted:

The reason blue magic is so good in FF5 is because the game gives you multiple ways to manipulate levels, both your own and the enemies'. No other game in the series lets you do that to such an extent.

Yeah, that's what I was getting at. The abilities I was thinking of were Dark Shock and Lv 5 Death. Lv 2 Old for the same reason I guess.

Other than that I think FF5 Blue Mage is very well designed. Versatile and weird with the ability to exploit weaknesses and inflict statuses that MAINSTREAM MAGIC can't or is poor at exploiting for most of the game, that pays dividends for a player who delves into the bestiary. Lategame it transitions into more of a powerful support set, but Bard, White Mage, Time Mage, and Chemist are incredibly powerful competition for that support role.

Baku fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Dec 12, 2015

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Lets talk about FF characters you never use

I pretty much never used Kimahri, for some reason his weird mix of lancer/bluemage/ronso just didn't jive with me. Not when I could have dudes like Auron and Wakka in my party.

And I definitely never used Selphie like at all.

I did use Yuffie but sparingly.

Has anyone ever seriously played through FFVII with Cait Sith as a mainstay in their party? I never have and I'm curious.

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

Has anyone ever seriously played through FFVII with Cait Sith as a mainstay in their party? I never have and I'm curious.

Cait Sith was always my mage character. I think I used Cloud/Cait Sith/Cid

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

There's very little reason to. His stats are kind of crap. Literally the only reason to use him is if you want a magic user who isn't Vincent.

Cait Sith and Vincent are very similar stat-wise honestly. They're the game's designated mages who are not Cloud or Aerith.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Dec 12, 2015

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Good to know I wasn't missing anything. I tend to use a party of Cloud/Yincent/Yuffie and in my last modded run I used Cloud/Aerith/Yuffie so I guess it works out.

Vinny-Mac and Aerith are definitely more interesting than Cait Sith so if there's no stat difference, might as well use them always and never use Cait Sith. It helps Vincent was a vampire.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Schwartzcough posted:

And you can find people playing Terra's Theme also.

Even better

It's Biggs and Wedge.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
smh if your team wasn't cloud/tifa/yuffie

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Barrett, Cloud, and Cid are the testosterone-fueled dream team.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Honestly I never found much of a reason to use magic by the time you get Cait and Vincent. You've already got enemy skills that are way more powerful, and aside from a couple outlier bosses / enemies that are a chore to kill without magic, most things go down just as quickly to physical attacks without having to worry about managing MP. By disc 2 I think the only spells I ever used were like Cure and Life, and summons once in a while if I wanted to watch the animations. Maybe I was just overleveled or something, but using magic always felt like taking the scenic route through battles.

Come to think of it, I feel like that about most FF games. I almost always end up building a party that just deals a shitload of physical damage. I think part of it is that I just have a low tolerance for seeing the same spell animations over and over, especially when they take multiple seconds longer than just hitting something with a sword.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Honestly I never found much of a reason to use magic by the time you get Cait and Vincent. You've already got enemy skills that are way more powerful, and aside from a couple outlier bosses / enemies that are a chore to kill without magic, most things go down just as quickly to physical attacks without having to worry about managing MP. By disc 2 I think the only spells I ever used were like Cure and Life, and summons once in a while if I wanted to watch the animations. Maybe I was just overleveled or something, but using magic always felt like taking the scenic route through battles.

Come to think of it, I feel like that about most FF games. I almost always end up building a party that just deals a shitload of physical damage. I think part of it is that I just have a low tolerance for seeing the same spell animations over and over, especially when they take multiple seconds longer than just hitting something with a sword.
My favorite FF9 final party was Zidane, Steiner, Freya, and Amaranth. All your healing is in battle through Reis' Wind, but it's great since FF9's long animations make regen crazy powerful. And then you just breeze through battles because your damage output is insane.

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

My favorite FF9 final party was Zidane, Steiner, Freya, and Amaranth. All your healing is in battle through Reis' Wind, but it's great since FF9's long animations make regen crazy powerful. And then you just breeze through battles because your damage output is insane.

It's really hard for me not to use Vivi but I was thinking of running something like this the next time I play 9.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Admoon posted:

It's really hard for me not to use Vivi but I was thinking of running something like this the next time I play 9.
It's extremely good. If you swap Eiko out for Zidane it's the best endgame party that exists and is basically untouchable.

Not sure what the best party for dealing with Ozma is, I never bothered.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

FactsAreUseless posted:

Hah, that's exactly the party I used the last time I played IX.

IX is probably my favorite FF overall, but the battle animations are just excruciating. If they ever released a port of it with the x3 speed thing that VII has, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Sadly it sounds like there is literally zero chance of that happening. Maybe they can do it on PS4, if VII sells well enough to make them roll out more updated PS1 titles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
So I just found out I can fight cathedral soldiers in LR. Is there any penalty for fighting them, or can I just use them as easy EP generating fodder?