Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Red Red Blue posted:

And then I have to buy that ridiculously priced memory, and then a controller, and then the game. Maybe if that wasn't the only thing I'd likely end up using it for

Ys 4!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp
Pretty sure you can play Ys Seven on it too.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Red Red Blue posted:

And then I have to buy that ridiculously priced memory, and then a controller, and then the game. Maybe if that wasn't the only thing I'd likely end up using it for

There's 1GB of internal memory on the Vita TV, the controllers aren't very expensive, and there's the game.

Also, Ys Memories of Celceta exists and not playing it is a crime.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Slur posted:

There's 1GB of internal memory on the Vita TV, the controllers aren't very expensive, and there's the game.

Also, Ys Memories of Celceta exists and not playing it is a crime.
To be fair, 1GB probably isn't enough for ToCS. Bigger Vita games clock in around 3.5-4GB, and even ones that have pretty lo-fi graphics like Tales of Hearts R are 1.5ish.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

To be fair, 1GB probably isn't enough for ToCS. Bigger Vita games clock in around 3.5-4GB, and even ones that have pretty lo-fi graphics like Tales of Hearts R are 1.5ish.

Nobody said he had to download his games...

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

the people at endless history, a falcom fansite, are doing translations of some of the doors from 3rd relevant to Cold Steel as well as some supplementary material.

here's the first one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JO41Z8CYWv4

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Cake Attack posted:

the people at endless history, a falcom fansite, are doing translations of some of the doors from 3rd relevant to Cold Steel as well as some supplementary material.

here's the first one:

I think I can summarize this video.

"Cassius Motherfucking Bright."

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Cake Attack posted:

here's the first one:

Is this when he got Joshua immediatly before the prologue or the thing he was busy with during FC?

Supremezero posted:

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

Supremezero posted:

This youtube video seems and sounds intriguing, but I am getting the feeling I shouldn't watch it until I've played SC.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Omobono posted:

Is this when he got Joshua immediatly before the prologue or the thing he was busy with during FC?

It's what he was busy with in FC.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

oh yeah cold steel is coming out january 29th in europe

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Cake Attack posted:

oh yeah cold steel is coming out january 29th
GODDAMMMMM-

quote:

in europe
Oh. Carry on!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That's good, I might have some money by then.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Some Numbers posted:

GODDAMMMMM-

Oh. Carry on!

GODDAMMIT.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Some Numbers posted:

GODDAMMMMM-

Oh. Carry on!

The US release date was confirmed to be the 22nd December a while back.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Delusibeta posted:

The US release date was confirmed to be the 22nd December a while back.

That would be why the second part of that post is there.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Cold Steel localization blog #2

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Voice direction:

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004
So, now that I've had time to think about SC some more, one thing I liked was that the numbers assigned to the enforcers seem to match tarot arcana that are related to their personalities or their past.

Enforcer spoilers. Don't read if you haven't finished the game.

Joshua: 13, Death. It can represent both his past as an assassin and also the end of his life as the Black Fang.
Bleublanc: 10, Wheel of Fortune. I don't really see how this one works, except if it was just taken because luck fits roguish characters.
Walter: 8, Strength. Pretty straightforward.
Luciola: 6, Lovers. Made plenty of sense after the final battle with her if you have Schera in the group.
Renne: 15, The Devil. This one I feel is a bit more complex but it's probably that she has the power to leave the society if she wants to but remains with them because she finds it easier to solve problems with violence.
Loewe: 2, the High Priestess. In reversed form, it represent him wanting to see humanity tested. His change of heart after he gets his "answer" is the card getting turned upright.

Death Priest fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Dec 12, 2015

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Death Priest posted:

So, now that I've had time to think about SC some more, one thing I liked was that the numbers assigned to the enforcers seem to match tarot arcana that are related to their personalities or their past.

I was really confused when they introduced number XV (there can't be 15 of these guys!) until I realized this.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Amppelix posted:

I was really confused when they introduced number XV (there can't be 15 of these guys!) until I realized this.

There might be! There's no reason to assume that the entirety of the Enforcers were in Liberl.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah, the enforcers seem like such a huge and disparate organization that it seems pretty likely that there's tons of random dudes running around.

Alternatively, everyone just picks the number they like best. This is how Campanella got 0.

Also, Blueblanc's wheel of fortune seems to be more about his role in the plot than him himself. He's the first Enforcer you fight, so him getting the tarot that represents a reversal of fortune, development, and sudden change makes sense.

I guess having something get stolen is also a reversal of fortune/a sudden change?

Endorph fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Dec 12, 2015

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Regarding the tarot numbers:

- Death is also the card of transformation, rebirth and change. Joshua undergoes several "transformations" over the course of his life, going from a carefree and innocent kid to a soulless assassin to a smart-rear end yet mild-natured bracer and back and forth between the latter two, so the card of change fits him quite well.

- The Devil is the card of bondage. (not that kind) It commonly depicts a man and a woman chained to the devil's seat. One of its meanings is a person being "chained" by something, the past for instance, and unable to move on. This does seem fitting for Renne, who until she meets Estelle, seems bound and unable to move on because of her own demons from the past.

Regarding the blog post, I've been part of voice recording sessions myself and I can confirm the crazy amount of work that goes into the preparation and coaching the VA's. It's cool to see how much time and dedication XSeed put into it to make sure the dub's quality is as good as possible. It's not gonna change the minds of anyone who's part of the "I don't care about the effort, NO ENGLISH EVERRRRRRRR!"-crowd intent on boycotting the game, but it might ease the minds of those still on the fence.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Localising voice-acted games seems like the most tediously unfun bullshit, and yet I'm probably not the only person who'll hear maybe 30% of any given line because I read faster than the delivery or I'm mashing through a pre-boss cutscene I've already seen. I feel bad for XSeed. :v:

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Erpy posted:

Regarding the blog post, I've been part of voice recording sessions myself and I can confirm the crazy amount of work that goes into the preparation and coaching the VA's. It's cool to see how much time and dedication XSeed put into it to make sure the dub's quality is as good as possible. It's not gonna change the minds of anyone who's part of the "I don't care about the effort, NO ENGLISH EVERRRRRRRR!"-crowd intent on boycotting the game, but it might ease the minds of those still on the fence.

Yeah, voice direction is a much under-appreciated skill. Some companies seem poo poo at it and others, like XSeed, seem to have a handle on it. Quite often the issue when you hear bad VA is not that the actor themselves are poo poo but that they haven't been told the proper pacing context etc for each line and since they are recording each line in isolation they can get certain things all wrong. It's a bit like how Ninja Theory can make their models act pretty well but so many other companies only manage 3 expressions and no nuance and reactivity.

The dev commentary track on the first Blackwell game commented on it. The dev stated that one of the most important skills he acquired was how to properly direct and record voice actors. Especially since he mostly used actor friends who were obviously good at acting but had never done VO work before.

I've also be playing some Valkyria Chronicles recently and the voice acting there is often a bit flat and off. Still perfectly serviceable but not a stellar job.

[edit] Not that it changed what I would have said but I should still have read the blog post before posting. Good blog post again. I'll also give another poke about perhaps seeing whether you can get any of this stuff on places like gamasutra since it is nice and useful game dev insight stuff.

Munin fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Dec 12, 2015

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah. Tales of Zestiria has a great dub with good voices but sometimes the voice direction is bit off, like a sequence where a character goes 'Now. Go. Away." or something similiar, with periods inbetween each line but the voice acting just reads it as a normal line with no emphasis. Even little stuff like that can make a scene feel really off, so it's important that a voice director pays a lot of attention to every line. Which is naturally pretty hard to do in a game with tons of voice acting.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I wonder why Steam felt the need to install a 187 MB update for Felghana today.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

there are more enforcers, yeah. the ones you fight in SC are just the ones that thought the whole liberl affair was worth being around for

SorcerousHam
Apr 8, 2011
With regards to the final chapter of Trails SC is it worth the effort to bring relevant allies to the various Enforcer fights? Kloe and Oliver for Blueblanc, Zane for uh Direwolfwhateverhisrealname is, Scherrazad for Bell lady and Tita for Renne? Zane and Scherrazad probably aren't too much trouble for me to bring along but Oliver and Tita would require a bunch of grinding to get them up to non-poo poo status.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

schera and zane are the only ones you need really. olivier and tita don't change things all that much. that said exp scaling makes leveling people up easy, they'll gain like 9999exp their first fight

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Or just look for the first white squid-thing in the Factoria tunnels; he's got a chance for six Shining Poms.

SorcerousHam
Apr 8, 2011
Yeah I did that to get Zane into fighting shape, but it still took at least 10 fights because even with 9999 xp that only gets you so many levels when you started at 62.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Oh, poo poo. If he was that low, he probably could have earned 9999 from normal fights for a while.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Cake Attack posted:

schera and zane are the only ones you need really. olivier and tita don't change things all that much. that said exp scaling makes leveling people up easy, they'll gain like 9999exp their first fight

Actually, it seems to be less "tita doesn't change much" more "the character that triggers dialogue is actually Estelle".

Who you have anyway, so it doesn't matter.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

SorcerousHam posted:

With regards to the final chapter of Trails SC is it worth the effort to bring relevant allies to the various Enforcer fights? Kloe and Oliver for Blueblanc, Zane for uh Direwolfwhateverhisrealname is, Scherrazad for Bell lady and Tita for Renne? Zane and Scherrazad probably aren't too much trouble for me to bring along but Oliver and Tita would require a bunch of grinding to get them up to non-poo poo status.

That boss does mention Tita if you bring her, and if you do, Tita will have some dialogue on the Arseille, but it's not all that important. Still though, it's not hard to catch up underleveled characters at that point.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
I have now finally gotten around to ordering ToCS (yes I know shut up)!

And...

Amazon doesn't have a shipping date.

Why?!

Come As You SARS
Jul 27, 2015
Well I guess it is about time to dive into this series. I think I am going to grab it for psp/vita though, because I like to be comfy and that sounds much more comfy than playing on my PC. I know the PC version looks better and all, but my wife yells at me much less when I am on a handheld.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Will I enjoy Trails if I'm not a fan of the era of boilerplate fantasy SNES turn-based JRPGs like Final Fantasy 6 or Chrono Trigger?

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

Lady Naga posted:

Will I enjoy Trails if I'm not a fan of the era of boilerplate fantasy SNES turn-based JRPGs like Final Fantasy 6 or Chrono Trigger?

I dunno Trails is a fairly typical JRPG in terms of plot and setting albeit much more expansive. The combat takes place on a grid with a turn order that you can see and that can be affected by abilities or your stats. It's got an ability system sort of reminiscent of materia in FF7. If you like JRPGs I'd say it's fairly likely you would enjoy Trails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Lady Naga posted:

It's not boilerplate and it doesn't use ATB, so probably, as long as you're not allergic to the power of friendship or comic relief characters. It's also exceedingly well-paced, -written and -translated.