Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Part of what makes the DemiFiend so memorable is the music. If you've played Nocturne, it's the hard random encounter music.

We're just a drat random encounter to him.
:derp:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Part of what makes the DemiFiend so memorable is the music. If you've played Nocturne, it's the hard random encounter music.

Yeah, the whole point of his script is making sure he thinks that.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Does Culex count as a JRPG Superboss?

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
any of the first 4 Dark Aeons can be beaten without max stats really
but for the latter ones, max luck is really needed

and with Penance, buffs like Haste and Protect are a must
(Haste is so good this game)

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

DeafNote posted:

any of the first 4 Dark Aeons can be beaten without max stats really
but for the latter ones, max luck is really needed

and with Penance, buffs like Haste and Protect are a must
(Haste is so good this game)

I just got Auto-Haste on every armor, which was ridiculously simple all things considered.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

FeyerbrandX posted:

Someone awhile back asked if there was any game out there that was more of an rear end in a top hat about ultimate weapons than FFX, SO3 is pretty close. Getting the weapons is straightforward, through the bonus dungeon. But they're poo poo out of the box. Hell, if you don't know what you're doing one will break the moment you try to use it.

Remember SO2 and how you savescummed to get the ultimate sword on disc one? You'll remember now that you need to rip about 4 horrible things off of each weapon one at a time, and hope they don't duplicate instead.

Still love the game for all of its very very valid flaws though.

True, those are technically ultimate weapons, but you didn't mention a couple important things.

1) There is no other way (short of hacking) to get them before you're well into the post-game.

2) Item creation. The item you need to take off the bad abilities is buyable at that point, and unless you're willing to spend hours going through one dungeon, you've been using Item Creation and know immediately what you need to do. If you wanna do it at all because you might very well have a weapon that's even better by that point. And unlike this game, there's no hidden bonuses to using them.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Malachite_Dragon posted:

That's one way to confirm that your crew is much weaker than the previous game's protagonist while still making it seem fun.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Archenteron posted:

Yes. And I had forgotten about him. He's another one I've beat.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

True, those are technically ultimate weapons, but you didn't mention a couple important things.

1) There is no other way (short of hacking) to get them before you're well into the post-game.

2) Item creation. The item you need to take off the bad abilities is buyable at that point, and unless you're willing to spend hours going through one dungeon, you've been using Item Creation and know immediately what you need to do. If you wanna do it at all because you might very well have a weapon that's even better by that point. And unlike this game, there's no hidden bonuses to using them.

Being able to turn just about anything into a post-game superweapon was one of the things that was actually good about that crafting system. Don't need fancy swords when your trusty Lead Pipe's been loaded up with Atk/Def +30% mods.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

The Dark Id posted:

Oh yeah, there's an Al Bhed Primer left behind by some unfortunate sole
Soul.

quote:

You ask the chocobo directly instructions on how to perform this mini-game.
Not entirely sure about this one, but it could probably do with a rephrase.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Archenteron posted:

yeah, the mario rpgs tend toward the easy side but their bonus bosses are generally pretty good too

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

The Dark Id posted:

All superbosses in JRPGs are universally poo poo. :colbert:

X-2 has some pretty good ones. Paragon, Chac, and Almighty Shinra, to name a few, are pretty dope.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I liked Trema just because he actually had a pretty interesting role in the backstory of X-2. Plus, after fighting all these monsters, fighting a tiny old dude was a nice change of pace.

Cool boss music, too.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007
I like how X-2 superbosses don't require you to stat max. In fact, I like how there's no stat maxing in X-2.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The best superbosses are still Omega and Shinryu from FFV. There's no way to go toe-to-toe with them regardless of your level or stats, but you have plenty of options for beating them at a low level if you're smart about taking advantage of their status weaknesses.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Some of those esper fights in FFXII were insane. I don't think I'll beat Cuchulainn without quickenings. Thank goodness they don't have buckets of HP. Of course, the rewards kinda stink with how hard some of these fights are.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Xander77 posted:

Soul.
Not entirely sure about this one, but it could probably do with a rephrase.

Settle down, Beavis. This isn't the "Critique my writing" thread in CC.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

rotinaj posted:

Settle down, Beavis. This isn't the "Critique my writing" thread in CC.

Nah. Point out typos or stuff that doesn't have clear writing. I usually go back and fix them. Unless they're the archived updates cuz the links to edit those old updates again are lost to the ether and hell if I'm recompiling them a second time. :v:

Anyway, I should have a short update later tonight. And I might do a viewing of Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children tomorrow night. Stay tuned.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Original or Complete?

What's the general consensus on Advent Children anyway? I think I saw it before I played through VII, so I didn't see what exactly people disliked about it at the time.

I do wonder why everyone suddenly started dressing in black like they're going to a funeral. :psyduck:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Original or Complete?

What's the general consensus on Advent Children anyway? I think I saw it before I played through VII, so I didn't see what exactly people disliked about it at the time.

I do wonder why everyone suddenly started dressing in black like they're going to a funeral. :psyduck:

AC was pretty much the start of the whole "Cloud is mopey and emo" thing, and it brings back Sephiroth pretty much just to satisfy Rule of Cool.

That said, it's basically Rule of Cool the movie. The action bits are stupid and ridiculous and amazing and fun. My high school anime club watched it about twice a week.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Original or Complete?

It's alright. The plot feels really disjointed and not well thought out. And the fight scenes move so quickly and the camera is often so tight on the action it's hard to tell what's going on. Overall it could have been a lot better, but if you don't think too hard about it it's still fun. It's certainly miles ahead of Spirits Within.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
It focuses too much on the less interesting aspects of FFVII
location-wise and character-wise

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
I alway saw Cloud as a huge rear end in a top hat telling half-truths and Sephiroth being a crazy rear end nutjob. Cause thats how they were.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Fabulousvillain posted:

I alway saw Cloud as a huge rear end in a top hat telling half-truths and Sephiroth being a crazy rear end nutjob. Cause thats how they were.

They were both pretty crazy. Cloud believed what he was saying to be true. Check our Elentor's FF7 LP, which took 4 years to finish but was totally worth it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I like how a lot of the beginning of FFVII has Cloud talking to random voices in his head and it's just awkward for everyone involved.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

zakharov posted:

They were both pretty crazy. Cloud believed what he was saying to be true. Check our Elentor's FF7 LP, which took 4 years to finish but was totally worth it.

Yeah, I just find Clouds false bravado more interesting than moping. Although its not really false if he's kicking rear end anyway. :shrug:

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Looper posted:

yeah, the mario rpgs tend toward the easy side but their bonus bosses are generally pretty good too

I have very fond memories of all three of the super bonus bosses in the N64 Paper Mario; it's fun to see how early you can beat the Master, Kent C Koopa takes a different strategy than pretty much anything else, and the triple Anti Guy fight is quite scary.

All that goes out the window if you abuse Charge + Power Bounce, of course. :geno:

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

jivjov posted:

AC was pretty much the start of the whole "Cloud is mopey and emo" thing, and it brings back Sephiroth pretty much just to satisfy Rule of Cool.

That said, it's basically Rule of Cool the movie. The action bits are stupid and ridiculous and amazing and fun. My high school anime club watched it about twice a week.

Nah, you can blame Kingdom Hearts for that. Kingdom Hearts was where they made Cloud being emo canon.

But, yeah, the story is monumentally dumb. It's the type of thing you watch once to see the whole thing, and then just skip to the action sequences if you ever want to watch it again.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

I liked Advent Children :smith: But let's be fair, we weren't watching it for the story, we watched it to watch a dude with a sword as wide as he is fight a dude with a sword longer than he is tall. Rule Of Cool indeed.

I liked the twist on Omnislash at the end.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

My two cents on Advent Children: The voice director needs to fired into the sun for thinking that Mena Suvari's performance was adequate. And then thinking it was acceptable to carry over to Kingdom Hearts II.

OminousEdge
Apr 4, 2013

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I liked Advent Children :smith: But let's be fair, we weren't watching it for the story, we watched it to watch a dude with a sword as wide as he is fight a dude with a sword longer than he is tall. Rule Of Cool indeed.

I liked the twist on Omnislash at the end.

We watched it for that as well as several other reasons. To put voices to everyone from FF7, which I loved that Axel and Reno had the same voice. For over the top fight scenes. Tifa. And other things.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

At least it was a better movie than Spirits Within! :v: Though that's not exactly a hard hurdle to clear.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Xenoveritas posted:

Nah, you can blame Kingdom Hearts for that. Kingdom Hearts was where they made Cloud being emo canon.
Kingdom Hearts started it, Advent Children cemented it.

If you ignore his KH appearance as a cameo (rightfully) then it's more of the fact that he seems to have taken steps back from how he was during the FFVII endgame. Makes it less of a sequel and more retreading of old ground which is boring.
Him having fantasy cancer can certainly help explain the mopey attitude a bit but it's glossed over too much.

Spirits Within was an alright movie, it just wasn't FF :colbert:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The worst thing that Advent Children did.

Was giving Cait Sith an accent.

OminousEdge
Apr 4, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

The worst thing that Advent Children did.

Was giving Cait Sith an accent.

I dunno. I kinda liked the accent. Not enough characters have those. And instances where all the characters have them don't count because after a couple hours you never notice anymore.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

EponymousMrYar posted:

Kingdom Hearts started it, Advent Children cemented it.
I thought I read somewhere that the character you were originally supposed to meet in Olympus Coliseum was Vincent but then they changed it to Cloud--hence why his costume is very similar to Vincent's and the all-around "emo" behavior. Or maybe that was just a rumor that got accepted as fact?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

I give that one a 50/50, actually; that outfit is remarkably similar to Vincents', funky gauntlet and all. All they really would've had to do was replace the head model.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I give that one a 50/50, actually; that outfit is remarkably similar to Vincents', funky gauntlet and all. All they really would've had to do was replace the head model.

If the "Vincent" theory wasn't correct, I like to assume that Cloud was trying to disguise himself, except you know - the hair and the sword were a dead giveaway.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

berryjon posted:

If the "Vincent" theory wasn't correct, I like to assume that Cloud was trying to disguise himself, except you know - the hair and the sword were a dead giveaway.

They probably did just swap him out late on. Yuffie in Kingdom Hearts is just a head and palette swapped Rikku from FFX after they realized they'd already named the main love interest Riku and that'd just be confusing. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Rikku still ends up in KH2, though. :v:

• Locked thread