Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

notably apple's airport / time capsule products run netbsd, not an osx derivative

not even apple trusts osx networking code

lol where do you think osx networking code originally came from

hint its in ur username

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
dont feed the troll

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Mr Dog posted:

It can't seem to do UPnP at all, or at least neither of us has found the option to turn it on.

this is a feature not a bug

upnp is garbage for idiots pushed by microsoft long past its sell-by date, to continue your rotting milk metaphor

a vastly superior ietf engineered standard exists and is good. its called zeroconf. apple invented it so microsoft kept nih'ing it which is the only reason upnp still exists

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

Last Chance posted:

probably has it set up wrong. airports own

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

BobHoward posted:

this is a feature not a bug

upnp is garbage for idiots pushed by microsoft long past its sell-by date, to continue your rotting milk metaphor

a vastly superior ietf engineered standard exists and is good. its called zeroconf. apple invented it so microsoft kept nih'ing it which is the only reason upnp still exists

zeroconf and upnp are not comparable things though. i'd guess the op means upnp-igd for nat control however, in which apple also has a different standardized solution, nat-pmp, you can recycle your post with

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
looks like the NIH is coming from inside 1 infinity loop

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

zeroconf and upnp are not comparable things though. i'd guess the op means upnp-igd for nat control however, in which apple also has a different standardized solution, nat-pmp, you can recycle your post with

it just works bitch

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
upnp is pretty silly, yeah, but its actually published as a standard

service discovery is a really small part of it, its like two pages of the spec

zeroconf / dns-sd solves that problem.

what upnp actually solves is the poo poo that apple never made public, like daap, and apple actively broke our implementations of it (a new itunes came out which sent a specific packet which segfaulted our daap library -- easy to fix, but the message was "we can outrun you", so we stopped working on it)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
multicast dns-sd only works for printers and ip lookup, because apple never wanted to standardize the stuff they started building on top of it. i'm pretty happy with printers and ip lookup tho

upnp will never solve anything, because microsoft are the only ones who care about it

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

is DLNA commonly used?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
personally, i wrestled with upnp for around two hours on tuesday to try to get my android tablet to watch videos from my computer and gave up and bought plex for $5

its bad yes

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i dont even know what upnp is. my apple products all work seamlessly with zero configuration or effort as tim cradles me close to his welcoming bosom

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

turns out all you needed all along for device compatibility across different vendors was just having devices from only one vendor, the dream is real~~

though tbqh i rather suspect that the moment you expect samsung or dlink to implement a protocol properly, whether invented in cupertino or Redmond, you can be pretty sure it'll end in tears

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

though tbqh i rather suspect that the moment you expect samsung or dlink to implement a protocol properly, whether invented in cupertino or Redmond, you can be pretty sure it'll end in tears

as with everything else, the open source community will implement it correctly, and then d-link loads it into their firmware images and it more or less works

routers can bundle random software because electricity and process table space are not their scarce resources. anything that fits in RAM will go into the image more or less

android is just hosed. have fun with all the weird poo poo samsung reinvented and jammed into a single process i guess

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

as with everything else, the open source community will implement it correctly, and then d-link loads it into their firmware images and it more or less works

*ships 5 million units whose NTP implementation uses the hardcoded IP of a single public stratum 0 server*

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Mr Dog posted:

*ships 5 million units whose NTP implementation uses the hardcoded IP of a single public stratum 0 server*

this can easily be fixed by getting isps to do some dpi and ip rewriting, I don't see the problem

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Mr Dog posted:

uh, actually it sounds like a great way to build a network of 5 million stratum 1 servers

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

pseudorandom name posted:

is DLNA commonly used?

it's pretty much the only way to play network media on smart tvs and game consoles where you can't install a real media player

minidlna is p easy to setup though

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

mdnsresponder is really gross code inside, which is why it didn't catch on.

among other things, if you go download the source tarball, it doesn't use autotools or anything.

hmm yes, not using autotools is somehow "really gross"

just why would you expect something Apple wrote for Apple use and then made Open Source to use a GNU toolchain?

next you'll be surprised that clang and llvm don't use autotools either

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

eschaton posted:

hmm yes, not using autotools is somehow "really gross"

just why would you expect something Apple wrote for Apple use and then made Open Source to use a GNU toolchain?

next you'll be surprised that clang and llvm don't use autotools either

not using autotools or anything

cmake is an acceptable anything

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Soricidus posted:

not using autotools or anything

soricidus got the emphasis right

it's not that it doesn't use autotools, it's that it doesn't use anything. instead of trying to manage headers and includes it just ships separate source directories and hope

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
if I recall, for OS X, iOS etc. there's an Xcode project, for Windows there's a Visual Studio project, for lesser UNIX systems there's a Makefile

why bother with autotools? to run it on some hacked-up DG-UX on an Aviion 88110-based system in someone's garage?

I'm one of those people who might actually want to run it on an Aviion or something like that, I've also done some minor looking into porting mDNSResponder itself to Haiku, and I've also brought up plenty of Open Source projects on Darwin-based operating systems to be part of the operating system or other suites that run on top of them

I think I can confidently say a Makefile and config header to customize are honestly not such a big deal for most projects, that the GNU autotools are a far bigger pain than they're worth, and that unless your project is at the scale of something like llvm you probably don't need CMake

pram
Jun 10, 2001
:allears:

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
indeed, what is the point of providing a consistent and familiar interface, when you could just ship an opaque and fragile thing that depends on people literally editing part of your source code by hand just to make it build?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

:pram:

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

:sadpeanut:

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

lol

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

quoting to see emote code my phone

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Zom Aur posted:

ive never really got the point of avahi. never really seems to work automatically and never bothered to actually try to configure it

showing this popup is avahi's only function, afaik:

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Wheany posted:

showing this popup is avahi's only function, afaik:

lol

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Still no updates on Tmax Window from South Korea, there should be a version 10 some time.

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker
If there was no tmax window 8 to screw up the existing user interface then they can just stick to whatever number they have now.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

there's been little content here lately

Suspicious Dish, any comments on this? http://phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=XDG-App-Christmas-2015

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
what comment do you want

pram
Jun 10, 2001
its poo poo jerry

pram
Jun 10, 2001
guess what has had sandboxing for like a million years. you guessed it. the worlds most advanced operating system. apple osx

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Suspicious Dish posted:

what comment do you want

as someone technically competent who actively gives a gently caress,is it Good or is it Bad

pram
Jun 10, 2001
HMM

quote:

As a reminder, this sandboxed applications approach relies upon Wayland, KDBUS, SELinux, and other modern Linux technologies for operation. With KDBUS back to the design stage, it could be a while still before seeing XDG-Apps become more popular on the GNOME desktop.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

ahmeni posted:

is it Good or is it wack

Ftfy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

ahmeni posted:

as someone technically competent who actively gives a gently caress,is it Good or is it Bad

xdg-app? p. good even if i don't agree with every decision.