Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Augus posted:

This is just my opinion but I think the combat shines a lot more on Normal mode. Also the game has a slow start and picks up a lot more after the first day where you're stuck in the starting city, when the enemies get more varied and you get more options to work with. The combat isn't all that different from the paradigm system, really. It might seem like a departure at first but a lot of the fundamental concepts are intact. It's just that you've got one character that switches between 3 preset roles rather than a team that switches between preset combinations of roles. It's a lot like when you play solo as Noel against Caius in XIII-2. The challenging battles in the game force you to keep on your toes, switching roles often to match the flow of battle. There is a lot of timing involved with blocking and doing perfect attacks, but it's an exaggeration to say the game is like DMC. Movement is not something you should worry that much about, just like it wasn't in the other games except for in very broad strokes. It probably matters less actually since you don't need to worry about having party members grouped too tightly to survive AOE attacks. I think it's a game that you do have to stick with a bit before it clicks, and a lot of people quit the game early on for understandable reasons when they might've ended up enjoying it given a bit more time.

I appreciate the follow up but A) I already got my refund and B) I beat about half the game when it came out on consoles last year (Noel, most of Snow's stuff, and a mish-mash of stuff on the plains), I was really just hoping that some time away from it and the improved framerate would give it another chance. It's just not for me, back to Xenoblade for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mega64 posted:

FF6: Mog, Strago, Umaro, Gogo

FF8: Squall, other two irrelevant since I just had Squall solo everything. It sure was fun fighting the final boss the first time when Aura was blown away, though!

Item > Aura Stone :v:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
You guys actually playing FF6 are doing it wrong, you need to run a team of Gau, Mog, Umaro, and Gogo.

Gau rages, Mog dances, Gogo does one of those two things and Umaro does whatever he wants.

e: Drop one of them and replace with Cyan and you can even use his SwdTech skills without hindering the rest of your party's actions! :v:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Mega64 posted:

FF6: Mog, Strago, Umaro, Gogo

my man :hfive:

except I used Gau instead of Strago

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Artix posted:

I appreciate the follow up but A) I already got my refund and B) I beat about half the game when it came out on consoles last year (Noel, most of Snow's stuff, and a mish-mash of stuff on the plains), I was really just hoping that some time away from it and the improved framerate would give it another chance. It's just not for me, back to Xenoblade for now.

That's fine, it probably isn't a game everyone will like and personal preference makes a big difference. And I'd say Xenoblade is an all-around better game anyway.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

my man :hfive:

except I used Gau instead of Strago

Real pro gamers fly solo as Gau and destroy everything in the game with Flare Star

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I kind of feel like Artix, combat seemed OK on the first day but now I'm in the graveyard and I'm just getting destroyed. I don't know what I'm doing wrong other than "not blocking perfectly".

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i want to play lightning returns but my sense of honor won't let me so long as i have ff13 on my account unplayed

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Fister Roboto posted:

I kind of feel like Artix, combat seemed OK on the first day but now I'm in the graveyard and I'm just getting destroyed. I don't know what I'm doing wrong other than "not blocking perfectly".

Go somewhere else. Once you can explore the other areas, you should. Knock out some easy quests.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Go somewhere else. Once you can explore the other areas, you should. Knock out some easy quests.

So, what, is getting to the graveyard not urgent, despite Hope yelling at me every hour about it?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Fister Roboto posted:

So, what, is getting to the graveyard not urgent, despite Hope yelling at me every hour about it?

Use the Run Away EP skill from the dragons. You have more than enough time, honestly to make up for it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
if you get stuck on one area's questline just go somewhere else. the bosses scale with the day but enemies generally do not, which is why there's some really tough poo poo wandering around. snowe's story is the easiest i think.

it's not like ff13, you're not supposed to fight everything you see as soon as possible. just leave the stuff you can't kill alone.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The game gives you a lot more time than you need (especially if you're using chronostasis) so you should take your time and check out all the areas

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The whole time limit thing is ultimately the worst mistake an rpg could have done if it doesn't matter in the long run. It doesn't add anything more than just having a normal day/night cycle that has a "enemies get stronger after the 7th day" thing and is the main barrier to why people won't play the game.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
the big dragons in the graveyard are straight up stronger than noel is. just don't fight them.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Artix posted:

Guess this doesn't bode real well for you finishing up your XIII trilogy LP, huh?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Now I understand even more of what Artix is getting at. For better or worse, the first two games set an expectation for certain things, but then this one completely turns them on their head. It's weird because I love open world exploration games, but in the context of the FF13 series it just feels wrong, and I feel completely overwhelmed as a result.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I guess I have the most "normal" opinion where I think LR > XIII-2 > XIII. I had an absolute blast with Lightning Returns and intend to play it again in the next year, but first I intend to get my girlfriend caught up on the batshit insane storyline. She needs to experience the absolute insanity of XIII to appreciate the games that come after. I absolutely do not have the patience to play XIII again though, so every so often I put up one of Artix's FFXIII videos and now we're near the end of Chapter 10.

I do remember having a lot more fun with XIII-2 so I hope to actually replay that one before LR. It was really nice to actually have towns again. Also, even if it wasn't fully realized, I liked the time travel aspect of the game. I think it's a shame that XIII-2 and LR didn't get bigger budgets since they're much more fun to play.

e: Also, I really like parts of Yusnaan's music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYi2l1XVeQM

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
Does using any of the DLC outfits on a first runthrough cheapen the experience, or does it mostly just give you more options to play with?

I want to play Fashion Fantasy but if it'll turn the game into a bore I'll find the will to resist.

Scrree fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Dec 12, 2015

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Scrree posted:

Does using any of the DLC outfits on a first runthrough cheapen the experience, or does it mostly just give you more options to play with?

I'd say it gives you more options to play with. For what it's worth, I don't remember any of the pre-order garbs being extremely interesting or helpful outside of maybe Cloud. Might just be due to my own personal playstyles, hard to say.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The DLC are definitely better than the first few days, especially the Buster Sword. On the other hand, there's more than enough difficult enemies to even up the power boost.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The DLC costumes are really OP and I'd avoid using them. Cloud in particular is kind of absurd.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Heh, yeah, I must be totally misremembering my experience. Disregard my last post- two years was apparently enough to dull my memories of the first few hours of the game.

e: Well, that is, provided we're also talking about the 2 Samurai pre-order DLC and the Siegfried one people got for selling their souls to social media buzz.

e2: Yeah, that. vvv

The Grimace fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Dec 12, 2015

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Well, there's the DLC costumes, and then there were a bunch of costumes for poo poo like "finishing the Demo" or "preordering from Target" or whatever. A bunch of Samurai-type outfits that I don't remember being particularly powerful.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

There's like 6 samurai outfits, and the siegfried one isn't on the PC version.

Shaquin
May 12, 2007

epitasis posted:

i want to play lightning returns but my sense of honor won't let me so long as i have ff13 on my account unplayed

It's a super breezy game and is pretty entertaining in a goofy spectacle sort of way. I'm about half way through and it's been real consistently fun but I've got very little in the way of JRPG experience to inform my opinion

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
Thanks for the heads up, I'll avoid the DLC until I start to find equivalently powerful items in the main game.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

The Grimace posted:

I do remember having a lot more fun with XIII-2 so I hope to actually replay that one before LR. It was really nice to actually have towns again. Also, even if it wasn't fully realized, I liked the time travel aspect of the game. I think it's a shame that XIII-2 and LR didn't get bigger budgets since they're much more fun to play.

For all 13-2's problems, it played more like an actual RPG with things like non-linear character development, optional quests/content, and places to explore than 13 did.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Ghana re-play FF7 and I'm finally going to useCait-Sith this time!

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Zombies' Downfall posted:

For all 13-2's problems, it played more like an actual RPG with things like non-linear character development, optional quests/content, and places to explore than 13 did.

Yeah, it's leaps and bounds better than its predecessor in terms of actual gameplay content, but that doesn't mean it's good.

Like, being better than absolute poo poo still means you're pretty poo poo.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

ImpAtom posted:

The DLC costumes are really OP and I'd avoid using them. Cloud in particular is kind of absurd.

Gunner Yuna is also ridiculously powerful too.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Eh, I'm with Artix and Fedule on this one. They added more stuff, and more features, but very little of it was well-executed and they don't come together to form a coherent whole. There are so many parts of the game that are broken by going somewhere else the game doesn't seem to realize you can go, getting a crazy-overpowered monster, and then murdering everything with ease. And most of the sidequests are dull fetch-quests that involve backtracking across time and space (read: palette swaps of places you've already been). The areas themselves aren't very well-designed ever, and then there's stupid poo poo like clock puzzles thrown into the mix. XIII was linear as gently caress but at least the game was designed with that in mind, and it was used to set up for some challenging encounters every now and then.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Linearity is cool, sometimes.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
All I care about a Final Fantasy game is a good story and characters I like. That's why I couldn't stand the pre-7 games, even though I dragged myself through them.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

All I care about a Final Fantasy game is a good story and characters I like. That's why I couldn't stand the pre-7 games, even though I dragged myself through them.
FF6 has a great story and characters...

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Augus posted:

Eh, I'm with Artix and Fedule on this one. They added more stuff, and more features, but very little of it was well-executed and they don't come together to form a coherent whole. There are so many parts of the game that are broken by going somewhere else the game doesn't seem to realize you can go, getting a crazy-overpowered monster, and then murdering everything with ease. And most of the sidequests are dull fetch-quests that involve backtracking across time and space (read: palette swaps of places you've already been). The areas themselves aren't very well-designed ever, and then there's stupid poo poo like clock puzzles thrown into the mix. XIII was linear as gently caress but at least the game was designed with that in mind, and it was used to set up for some challenging encounters every now and then.

Oh god, I forgot about those clock puzzles. Those are poo poo.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I think I knew FF6 lost me when the opera scene happened and it did absolutely nothing for me. I really don't understand these people that it made cry or whatever.

Still need to go back and finish FF6 some day but I don't really understand the appeal of the game.

The Grimace posted:

Oh god, I forgot about those clock puzzles. Those are poo poo.

I remember there being a calculator on the internet for those. I didn't mind most of them, but some were certainly bullshit.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

That's hosed up on a number of levels.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Raxivace posted:

I think I knew FF6 lost me when the opera scene happened and it did absolutely nothing for me. I really don't understand these people that it made cry or whatever.

Still need to go back and finish FF6 some day but I don't really understand the appeal of the game.

That scene's a big joke. One party member is being roped into being a backup actor while the rest are frantically trying to stop an octopus from dropping an anvil on her head.

Motto fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Dec 13, 2015

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I get that (At least for the parts with the octopus), but I guess I just don't find it funny either.

Not saying FF6 is a terrible game or anything, but whatever it's vibe is I could never quite seem to get on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Raxivace posted:

That's usually not the scene people are talking about. There's a scene later on that mirrors the opera which is pretty sad, or hilarious depending on your translation.