Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dirty Hairy
Oct 18, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

He's inadvertently making some of the best threads on the RSI forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Wikipedia posted:

Cutlasses are famous for being used by pirates, although there is no reason to believe that Caribbean buccaneers invented them, as has sometimes been claimed.[5] However, the subsequent use of cutlasses by pirates is well documented in contemporary sources, notably by the pirate crews of William Fly, William Kidd, and Stede Bonnet. French historian Alexandre Exquemelin reports the buccaneer Francois l'Ollonais using a cutlass as early as 1667. Pirates used these weapons for intimidation as much as for combat, often needing no more than to grip their hilts to induce a crew to surrender, or beating captives with the flat of the blade to force their compliance or responsiveness to interrogation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cutlass#Origin

It's just a coincidence. I'm sure.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
These people lol

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Space Cutlasses were used by the most noble of space mining families.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

They literally sold a loving package called the "Pirate Pack" complete with a ship designed explicitly for boarding. Later on they designed another ship for boarding worth even more than the first ship because why the gently caress not.

Watching these idiots go apeshit trying to justify why their preferred playstyle may not be explicitly coddled to is a wonderful, wonderful thing.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

They literally sold a loving package called the "Pirate Pack" complete with a ship designed explicitly for boarding. Later on they designed another ship for boarding worth even more than the first ship because why the gently caress not.

Watching these idiots go apeshit trying to justify why their preferred playstyle may not be explicitly coddled to is a wonderful, wonderful thing.

Can you guys post links to stuff like this because I know gently caress all about this game and I am drowning in a sea of UltraSperg here and trying not to get banned again

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Someone should suggest NPC hall monitors to stop people running in the coridoors of the stations

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

fuctifino posted:

Someone should suggest NPC hall monitors to stop people running in the coridoors of the stations

Remind me tomorrow lol

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I love this sentence, "They didn't create ships just for pirates, only ships used by pirates in the lore." As the game becomes more concrete, I imagine we'll be seeing a lot more rationalizations as it diverges from their varied expectations.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
What the hell is this game even meant to be except piracy and conflict? Aren't these ships meant to EXPLODE at some point? I swear I saw guns on the ships in the concept art.

fuctifino posted:

There was already a thread actually for this. It was a 'reputation-system' to punish people running inappropriately.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Sillybones posted:

What the hell is this game even meant to be except piracy and conflict? Aren't these ships meant to EXPLODE at some point? I swear I saw guns on the ships in the concept art.

Nope they all want to be King poo poo and doff caps at each other for years, no fun please

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Yeah but the lore!

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
I am not searching for star citizen lore what if i die and someone checks my net history... eternal shame

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
I am very surprised that a dude who spent $500 and a dude who spent $1000 are the ones that are the most concerned about pirates in that thread. I thought they would be the ones the most dedicated to relaxing and having a good time in space??

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

I hope that tractor beam isn't non-consensual.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

it really devalues your ship purchase if you are easily able to make illegal copies.
piracy is killing the whale industry.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
I am dead.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
He looks one coke away to being bed-ridden.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
I always notice that cast on his right leg, that needs to be supported cause he's so fat and without leg muscles that his bones literally crumbled under his own weight.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Tokamak posted:

it really devalues your ship purchase if you are easily able to make illegal copies.
piracy is killing the whale industry.

Piracy is piracy, checkmate :smug:

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
The Official Forums gettin' mad at their ships getting stolen from underneath their noses is a good indicator of how muddled the entire game design is. I'm the guy who rents private servers with my buddies for games like ark because I like building up bases and fighting things with my friends, and I don't like the idea of people who want to do nothing other than blow up people's stuff blowing up my stuff. Not that I have some sort of moral grudge against that playstyle, it's more that I prefer long-term co-operative experiences. Because I'm a functioning human being who's capable of understanding past experiences, I realized that in a game where ships can be stolen and rammed people will be stealing and ramming ships. In fact, the idea of stowing away and dealing with boarders is maybe the only thing that puts star citizen in a unique place anymore in space games.

However, people who have paid hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars are upset and confused as to why a game basically god drat designed to have people smashing into each other and stealing everyone else's stuff has those elements. I don't know how, other than being hooked into a marketing machine that has told them about living out their immersive space life in a an immersive space universe, that these dudes foresaw Star Citizen's player interactions as anything other than Day-Z with spaceships.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

peter gabriel posted:

Piracy is piracy, checkmate :smug:

What kind of psychopath even wants to play a pirate? Probably GOONS.

Note of the day: Star Citizens don't even find it weird that a video game can costs hundreds to thousands to play. They seem utterly blind to the fact this isn't normal. Even for video games you Really Really Really like.

Grondoth posted:

However, people who have paid hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars are upset and confused as to why a game basically god drat designed to have people smashing into each other and stealing everyone else's stuff has those elements. I don't know how, other than being hooked into a marketing machine that has told them about living out their immersive space life in a an immersive space universe, that these dudes foresaw Star Citizen's player interactions as anything other than Day-Z with spaceships.

What are the other player spaceships even for? Is this really just meant to be a co-op PvE shooter to them? That doesn't scream innovation to me.

It is probably fear. Fear that they can see their 'investment' blow up in a second. The fact that that is actually inevitable given enough time. Suicides will occur over this shitfest.

Sillybones fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Dec 14, 2015

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

We normally only get to see him behind a desk and sat down.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

fuctifino posted:

Doesn't he have any friends? Can't anyone tell him that he really needs to cut back? That's not right.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Grondoth posted:

Doesn't he have any friends? Can't anyone tell him that he really needs to cut back? That's not right.

I brought up that I was worried about his weight in the twitch chat during the stream. Someone replied that he is on a diet.

One that apparently contains pizza and a fountain of soda.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
I just tell him to do whatever makes him happy.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
he's going to have all the time in the world to worry about his weight and whatever else like not that long from now.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
To be fair he's lifting 400 lb weights with regularity

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

peter gabriel posted:

To be fair he's lifting 400 lb weights with regularity

Is that with soda barrels included or excluded?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Tippis posted:

Is that with soda barrels included or excluded?

emptied

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Just moobs

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I wonder Chris and Sandi are secretly trying to kill Ben?

He gets a new office, right next to a 24 hour kitchen with all you can eat anything for free (thanks backers!).

He knows too much about the scam...

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6078712/#Comment_6078712

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6078911/#Comment_6078911

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6078921/#Comment_6078921

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

fuctifino posted:

I wonder Chris and Sandi are secretly trying to kill Ben?

He gets a new office, right next to a 24 hour kitchen with all you can eat anything for free (thanks backers!).

He knows too much about the scam...

SC community is inviting goons to come to their TeamSpeak!

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3wop0t/10000slot_lagless_1gigs_teamspeak_for_all_star/

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

1000 US dollars

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

fuctifino posted:

Jesus loving christ.

I say and mean this without an ounce of cruelty or malice, He will be dead before the game is done if he doesn't turn that lifestyle around. He needs guidance. When you can barely touch your hands together, it's gone beyond a major problem.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I'm abandoning that thread I think, I wasn't really interested in the first place :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

I'm still pissed off with all this furniture, and I hope they have an office fire and their insurance doesn't cover it.

• Locked thread