Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Jsor posted:

I hope there's an event where you can uplift a race of super soldiers to fight a war and have them rebel on you after the war is over because they're bored.

As long as theres genophage research

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

DrSunshine posted:

I hope that if you do aggressive observation or try to conquer the planet, a sufficiently advanced civilization might try to resist you, XCOM-style. I've always wanted to try seeing it from the other side! :swoon:

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
Oh my god, Im on the hype train soooo hard. This game is going to be amazing.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

I hope that if you do aggressive observation or try to conquer the planet, a sufficiently advanced civilization might try to resist you, XCOM-style. I've always wanted to try seeing it from the other side! :swoon:

this:

quote:

Just so - outright conquest! As you can imagine, primitive civilizations have few means to resist a technologically advanced invader. Industrial and especially post-atomic civilizations can prove harder nuts to crack, but their weapons are still markedly inferior to those of a typical spacefaring culture.

Would seem to indicate that this is the case.

EDIT: And the event system would probably mean "invasion taking too long gives natives time to reverse engineer your tech and they uplift themselves to spacefaring civilization" wouldn't be too hard to put in, or even mod in.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

quote:

Covert Infiltration
This is an interesting one. Essentially, agents that have been surgically altered to resemble individuals from a primitive species are sent to infiltrate their society. Political and military leaders are gradually replaced, until a point is reached where the primitives can be made to willingly accept an offer of annexation. This spares the need of a messy ground invasion, but more importantly, the primitives will be more positively inclined towards their new overlords, since they are living under the illusion that they accepted their rule willingly.
Yeerk game is a-go.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Covert Infiltration? Finally, the Third Rock from the Sun game we've been waiting for.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
This DD has me wondering about how two empires are gonna interact if there's a primitive planet in a border region or something. Like, what happens if you have an observation post set up, are doing an infiltration mission and then some jerks with too many appendages try to conquer the planet? Can you intervene?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Grizzwold posted:

This DD has me wondering about how two empires are gonna interact if there's a primitive planet in a border region or something. Like, what happens if you have an observation post set up, are doing an infiltration mission and then some jerks with too many appendages try to conquer the planet? Can you intervene?

I never knew I wanted a galactic cold war simulator so much until this moment.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

RabidWeasel posted:

I never knew I wanted a galactic cold war simulator so much until this moment.

With Pops there's an obvious niche for a Finlandization/Fifth Column mechanic that could even change Ethics. Have defectors flock to your empire and denounce the evils of their old home on galactic broadcasts.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

canepazzo posted:

New dev diary on primitive civs

Excerpt:

So your options are Federation, Greys, Vulcan or Reptilians. Every time I think my hype levels can't go any higher, I'm disproven.

Can there be failed primitive civilizations? e.g. civilizations that entered the modern era and then destroyed themselves through climate collapse or war?

Basically I want to encounter post-apocalyptic earth ruled by Immortan Trump and uplift them into a caste of specialized slave-warriors.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Paradox posted:

The Neborite civilization of the Kahalajom system. They destroyed themselves shortly after entering the Atomic Age a few decades after this picture was taken.

sounds like it for sure

This seems pretty cool, drat.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Dibujante posted:

Can there be failed primitive civilizations? e.g. civilizations that entered the modern era and then destroyed themselves through climate collapse or war?

Basically I want to encounter post-apocalyptic earth ruled by Immortan Trump and uplift them into a caste of specialized slave-warriors.

A caption on one of the pictures with that update says:

"The Neborite civilization of the Kahalajom system. They destroyed themselves shortly after entering the Atomic Age a few decades after this picture was taken."

Maybe it's just a throwaway joke, but I'm inclined to think this means yes. Now whether you can have a post-collapse-but-still-existing primitive civilization? That would be cool, but this doesn't seem to indicate one way or the other.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Koramei posted:

sounds like it for sure

This seems pretty cool, drat.

This to me was the coolest part of the diary. The level of detail this single event implies the devs are putting into making cool things happen in the game is pretty sweet.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

TotalHell posted:

"The Neborite civilization of the Kahalajom system. They destroyed themselves shortly after entering the Atomic Age a few decades after this picture was taken."

Maybe it's just a throwaway joke, but I'm inclined to think this means yes. Now whether you can have a post-collapse-but-still-existing primitive civilization? That would be cool, but this doesn't seem to indicate one way or the other.

I think this is all that's missing for someone to create a Mass Effect scenario for Stellaris.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I haven't been too excited about the city art so far but I really like that mechanical age city :)

Ridiculous question: I know we can easily mod our own race graphics, but will it be just as easy to assign sprites for what our races cities/buildings look like? Can my race of human space zizek's live in huge gray apartment blocks? Our racial animation will be frenzied sniffing and shirt tugging.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

TotalHell posted:

That would be pretty cool to have the more primitive planets slowly progress as the game went on, with maybe some industrial, post-atomic worlds discovering space flight and joining in - even if they are minors like in GalCiv or something.

But it also wouldn't suprise me if primitive civs are 'stuck' in their current state. Considering a really primitive, prehistoric civ would have to be around for thousands of years to naturally progress from stone age to space age what is the point of modeling their evolution if you never see it?

Industrial age civs seem to have more detail being created for them (assuming the points in the lecture weren't just fluff) and they would have a better chance of developimg space flight within the scope of the game's time frame (which I'm assuming isnt thousands of years).

Maybe next week's DD will touch on it when they discuss uplifting?

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

Psychotic Weasel posted:

That would be pretty cool to have the more primitive planets slowly progress as the game went on, with maybe some industrial, post-atomic worlds discovering space flight and joining in - even if they are minors like in GalCiv or something.

But it also wouldn't suprise me if primitive civs are 'stuck' in their current state. Considering a really primitive, prehistoric civ would have to be around for thousands of years to naturally progress from stone age to space age what is the point of modeling their evolution if you never see it?

Industrial age civs seem to have more detail being created for them (assuming the points in the lecture weren't just fluff) and they would have a better chance of developimg space flight within the scope of the game's time frame (which I'm assuming isnt thousands of years).

Maybe next week's DD will touch on it when they discuss uplifting?

quote:

Civilizations can and will progress between the ages, but it's a fairly slow process so you're not going to see a Bronze Age civilization work their way up to space technology within the span of a single game... on their own, at least. Technological Enlightenment does not move them up through the various ages, it's essentially a progress bar (with associated events). The time it takes depends on how advanced the primitives are.

And yes, there is always a risk of civilizations wiping themselves out in a nuclear war if they have reached the Atomic Age.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
This DD said somewhere or possibly in a later dev post that non-interstellar cultures do develop but the timescales involved means that it's going to be rare that new spacefearing civilizations appear, though it will be possible.

E:FB

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i loving hope this game isn't a disapointment

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Be prepared for it to be all kinds of wonky on release, but a year or two later it'll be the best 4x ever made.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Every pre-industrial culture I come across is getting the Shofixti treatment.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
I haven't been nearly as excited about Stellaris as the rest of the thread and I'm not that big a fan of 4x games generally, but I really like this dev diary.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
There's foundations for so much cool stuff that even if it coasts in as a base CK2 or EU4 experience it should be polishable up real good. As long as they can resist doing an expansion that adds the Large Magellanic Cloud as a playable area.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

With the awful-looking Independence Day sequel trailer hot in my mind, I wonder if we'll:
A) Be able to play as some Locust-like alien species, horde & migration mechanics included as we loot and pillage our way across the galaxy, glassing the planets behind us
B) End Game Disaster Event with guys like those popping up alá Mongol Invasion, with less painting the map their color and more painting it in a nice dead husk...y color.

Seems like likely DLC content if nothing else.

More Advanced DLC idea:
Play as Antares-like assholes, advance to a high enough tech level (or start out as these guys, they could be a On/Off option switch/scenario that's always there if you'd like, even if you aren't playing them) and chill out in like a pocket dimension of your own making, with easy access to the galaxy-at-large while most "primitives" can't even touch you. Send out regular raiding parties to make sure they stay at a low tech level. Fail and you'll have a swarm of angry bees coming after you.

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Dec 14, 2015

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Interesting - didn't read through the rest of the thread beyond the first page.

The "Show only Dev posts" button is a useful feature.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Puella Magissima posted:

I haven't been nearly as excited about Stellaris as the rest of the thread and I'm not that big a fan of 4x games generally, but I really like this dev diary.

I don't want to get too hyped because a solid, replayable, good-looking space 4x is like the Holy Grail, but this all sounds really good.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Dibujante posted:

I think this is all that's missing for someone to create a Mass Effect scenario for Stellaris.

You figure one of the standard end-game scenarios is some kind of extra-galactic threat.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Dreylad posted:

You figure one of the standard end-game scenarios is some kind of extra-galactic threat.

I was mostly thinking of saving the Krogan from themselves and then keeping them down again. Maybe an end-game disaster scenario could entail some Krogan-like species failing to be put down again.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
I really like seeing the potential for empires to have flavor and character so far, between the science ships, events, being able to watch precivs blow themselves up or elevating them into an allied civilization, and the different ethics and pops. Even seeing the fanatic collectivist stuff excites me because I hope it's different from regular collectivist. To have each and every of the 16 potential positions be fairly different from each other and not have fanatic to just be regular x2 would be great. I'm trying not to set myself up for disappointment but this really seems like it could be the space game that actually hooks me. I enjoy stuff like Endless Space and even Civ but I only ever play them once then move on because the civilizations have very little character (the abstraction involved in Civ kind of ruins their historical character for me). To have already heard that Paradox recognizes how important historical identity is to their current games and to endeavor to actually imbue something similar into a fictional game excites me. When the game was announced I was afraid they'd simply make a space Paradox game and not realize how important history is to making each nation interesting to play. Don't let me down you bastards!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Interesting - didn't read through the rest of the thread beyond the first page.

The "Show only Dev posts" button is a useful feature.

Holy poo poo I didn't know this existed, I always just scroll through and look for the black background text.

I just wonder if 30 civs will be the max at a time. It looks like it's the max allowed when generating a map, but can more civs appear through uplifting or rebellion if the game already has 30?
I also hope we get more galaxy creation options. They mention they haven't quite balanced the number of primitives yet. Give me a settings! The galaxy options didn't really have a lot of settings, I really hope they add in more or maybe a "custom galaxy" option where we can really dig into things like number and average development of primitives, anomalies, galactic threats, star types, all that good poo poo.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

I was trying not to get too hyped about Stellaris, but the ability to be a reptilian is way too cool to not be interested.

Crash74
May 11, 2009
*Builds secret spy base to hack celebs I phones for hot photo deets do "research"

"Nope, nothing to see here folks, just move along." *gets on space phone, "Larry why the gently caress did you build the "research" platform at G4232C the same size as the planet? Now we'll never get those pics of myley cyrus!"

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Baronjutter posted:

Holy poo poo I didn't know this existed, I always just scroll through and look for the black background text.

Yes - while I'm sure the ranting about not being able to gently probe other races or why we can massacre entire alien species but not Jews is rather deep and thought provoking, there are times where you're just looking for more pertinent information. It's almost like Paradox knows their forum is an affront to god but refuses to do anything about it...

Crash74 posted:

*Builds secret spy base to hack celebs I phones for hot photo deets do "research"

"Nope, nothing to see here folks, just move along." *gets on space phone, "Larry why the gently caress did you build the "research" platform at G4232C the same size as the planet? Now we'll never get those pics of myley cyrus!"
Later in the thread the dev mentioned that the screenshot is using a kind of weird forced perspective to emphasize the station, it's smaller in the game itself. While they're still pretty big in comparison to the planet I think that's mainly a design decision so that people can easily tell what's going on on the screen. I'm sure most people won't be playing the game zoomed in that close and even fewer people want go pixel hunting to find their ships.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Later in the thread the dev mentioned that the screenshot is using a kind of weird forced perspective to emphasize the station, it's smaller in the game itself. While they're still pretty big in comparison to the planet I think that's mainly a design decision so that people can easily tell what's going on on the screen. I'm sure most people won't be playing the game zoomed in that close and even fewer people want go pixel hunting to find their ships.

Why are soldiers so big in EU4? Ever notice they're totally not to scale with the castles???

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Ever notice how castles are larger than the provinces???

No???

Okay.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Baronjutter posted:

Why are soldiers so big in EU4? Ever notice they're totally not to scale with the castles???

I thought because gravity hadn't been invented yet that people just grew really, really tall? Isn't that how it works?

Crash74
May 11, 2009

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Yes - while I'm sure the ranting about not being able to gently probe other races or why we can massacre entire alien species but not Jews is rather deep and thought provoking, there are times where you're just looking for more pertinent information. It's almost like Paradox knows their forum is an affront to god but refuses to do anything about it...

That's easily solved by having a tag over top of the units that stays scaled to the screen and then disappears when zoomed in fully. Having things that are not the death star be the same size as the plant is a little ridiculous.

e: Mainly complaining about this because when I build a death star to "purge" everyone it will actually look cool if every thing else is not scaled so badly.
Star ruler 2= https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJJEMmzKzR4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ChMEMQxQLw

Crash74 fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Dec 15, 2015

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Baronjutter posted:

honest to god i had a really serious discussion with a friend of mine because his stupid rear end refused to play EU2 because the soldiers were too big, it was unrealistic.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Mans posted:

honest to god i had a really serious discussion with a friend of mine because his stupid rear end refused to play EU2 because the soldiers were too big, it was unrealistic.

...Wait, you mean giants didn't roam the earth until 1948?! Didn't they just die off in WWII? Weren't they the Uber Mensch?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crash74
May 11, 2009

Mans posted:

What no NATO counters? wtf!?! So casual.