Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

At first, I was surprised there was an actual game since I always just assumed they were still "making" Star Citizen.

I wasn't wrong, it seems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
So this is the game where people have thrown away literally tens of thousands of dollar each to get a bright shiny spaceship that nobody else in the world will own. Except all the other idiots with tens of thousands of dollars to throw away on a computer game.

And even if the game comes out, I expect their super shiny ship will be about three pixels across in the crosshairs of everybody else in the game, making it even more pointless.

Reminds me of Spore (another lovely game). You can spends countless hours customising thousands of different setting on your creature, your city buildings and your vehicles. Paint job, size shape, everything. Then, when you're actually playing, they're so drat small as to be invisible.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
That shot with the pilot and the sun was amazing.

Eggbeater Jesus
Sep 21, 2008

Add a dab of lavender to milk. Leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it.

These are deeply impressive.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Jamfrost posted:

That shot with the pilot and the sun was amazing.

I'm partial to the one where the ship takes off and leaves the pilot behind.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
I love texture pops and swaps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w33uXQlVmnM

Desideratus
Oct 5, 2008

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

I made a dumb Fallout 4 video. Forgive the mumble audio; I use Shadowplay and while I normally separate channels with Virtual Audio Cable, because Fallout 4 is such a well made game trying to run it through VAC makes it poo poo all over itself and desync audio by several seconds :shepface: A friend of mine also made a dumb video, and he got around the mumble issue by just putting sound over it.

Anyways that's my contribution I guess~

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqGIfLdR0_c

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I'm partial to the one where the ship takes off and leaves the pilot behind.

Happens to the best of us.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i will never get tired of that slow, disappointed head turn

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Dwarf Fortress bug fix:
"Stopped cats from dying of alcohol poisoning after walking over damp tavern floors and cleaning themselves (reduced effect)"

Xythe
Aug 4, 2010

Stop getting mad at video games. No stop insulting his mother what is wrong with you.
Holy poo poo, it's crazy that a game would track there being alcohol on the floor, track that a cat walks over it and then gets what was on the floor on them, and then through grooming themselves ingest it. Does it track other things they could walk over?

Does Dwarf Fortress have LSD.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
In the game Startopia (Dungeon Keeper meets Theme Hospital meets DS9 meets HGTTG), the indolent rich Gem Slugs will occasionally glitch out when visiting their custom bar/spa building.

They will sit in the spa and utterly freeze, while the simulation will continue to track all of their various stats and needs. In the end, the Gem Slug will be ejected from the spa, dead as a doornail.

The developers didn't fix it because they liked the idea that these super-rich, super-lazy fucks are so lazy that they forget their needs.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Glitchy emergent gameplay owns, even if you aren't even doing anything yourself to provoke it.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Did someone say emergent gameplay? In Dwarf Fortress, the dev just implemented procedurally generated poetry, writing , and music, among other things. This is what happened when someone elected to write a poem and then show it off to those around him:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

neogeo0823 posted:

Did someone say emergent gameplay? In Dwarf Fortress, the dev just implemented procedurally generated poetry, writing , and music, among other things. This is what happened when someone elected to write a poem and then show it off to those around him:

are those emotes? like is the poem literally just torrents of actual in-game diarrhea?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Xythe posted:

Holy poo poo, it's crazy that a game would track there being alcohol on the floor, track that a cat walks over it and then gets what was on the floor on them, and then through grooming themselves ingest it. Does it track other things they could walk over?
Yes.

If your dwarves don't have shoes and a randomly-generated Forgotten Beast that has necrosis-inducing blood or sprays something necrosis-inducing was nearby they can have their feet rot off if they walk over the residue.

I think if they have open cuts on their feet and walk over a poison which needs to get inside rather than acts on skin contact that'll get them poisoned too.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

There's also the artifact Planepacked which references itself 73 times and took over a year for the dwarven crafter to gather all of the materials.

Dwarf Fortress might be pretty obtuse at times but it's the best game to read about except for maybe Space Station 13.

edit:

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Planepacked#The_Description

That is everything that is engraved/depicted on just the one statue.

Testekill has a new favorite as of 08:04 on Dec 13, 2015

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Dwarf Fortress owns but of the ten or eleven fortresses I've made only one has died from a forgotten beast rampaging and killing half the population leading to a death spiral of insane dwarfs and all the others have slowwwwwly imploded from a lack of food or water due to the trade depot weirdly acting as inaccessible. :(

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Glitchy emergent gameplay owns, even if you aren't even doing anything yourself to provoke it.

Didn't Prison Architect leave in some funny bugs? I think one of them was inmates taking their food to eat in the shower.

EDIT: It also had the best alpha trailer I've ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7fZuvCB3j4

RatHat has a new favorite as of 08:45 on Dec 13, 2015

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Snapchat A Titty posted:

are those emotes? like is the poem literally just torrents of actual in-game diarrhea?

Nope, that's someone reacting to the terrible poem.

Note that it is 'vomits' in the first instance, and then 'retches' in all other instances, because the character does not have anything left in their stomach to vomit.

Xythe posted:

Does Dwarf Fortress have LSD.

Oddly enough, not yet. It does have hallucinations, though.

Toady's protectiveness over the game's cats is one of the truly beautiful things about Dwarf Fortress. At one point someone figured out that 1) the cheapest animal was kittens, 2) a sufficiently hot kitten will explode, and 3) the game loads in information about existing creatures as needed. So they bought 100% of their starting points in cats, quit, set cat blood temperature to thermonuclear, and reloaded- at which point the starting wagon, the starting dwarves, and all of those hundreds of kittens turned into a single explosion that turned the entire map into ash. Editing kitten body temperatures has since been disabled.

Actually, the entire system of the cats is probably one of the cleverer things- cats don't get owned, they choose a dwarf and make themselves that dwarf's pet. This can happen while the cat is being carried to the slaughterhouse. If this happens, then the cat will be killed anyway (because the job was in progress) and the chosen dwarf will immediately have a Bad Thought and probably fly into a tantrum.

This exact event has led to the demise of more than one established fortress.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
...A cat slaughterhouse?

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

RatHat posted:

...A cat slaughterhouse?

Sometimes food is scarce and you have a bunch of stray cats.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

RatHat posted:

...A cat slaughterhouse?

Cats have a meal's worth of meat and a totem's worth of skull, as well as a pelt. And their population will fuckin' explode if you don't keep it under control. So no, not a cat slaughterhouse, a kitten slaughterhouse.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I've actually encountered a mildly amusing "glitch" from WoW. In the latest patch, they introduced Shipyards, which have you sending out fleets of ships that are manned by random races at creation. One of them, Human, just gives you a flat % increase to your success chance on a mission. By dumb luck, I managed to get Human crews for both of my initial ships for the tutorial missions... Including the one that teaches you about how ships can sink on failed missions, which lead to this.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

RatHat posted:

...A cat slaughterhouse?

slaughterhouse meow?

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

I'm still partial to the Dwarf Fortress glitch where the ghosts of dead dwarves can achieve their life's goals post-mortem: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=7628

quote:

Steps To Reproduce: Find a married dwarf couple where the husband dreams of a family. Wait a few months and kill the male. Wait for baby. Check husband's thoughts.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Reminds me of a line in a Sims patch notes which I think was the thread title for a while:

quote:

Sims can no longer "Try for Baby" with the Grim Reaper.

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

MisterBibs posted:

In the game Startopia (Dungeon Keeper meets Theme Hospital meets DS9 meets HGTTG), the indolent rich Gem Slugs will occasionally glitch out when visiting their custom bar/spa building.

They will sit in the spa and utterly freeze, while the simulation will continue to track all of their various stats and needs. In the end, the Gem Slug will be ejected from the spa, dead as a doornail.

The developers didn't fix it because they liked the idea that these super-rich, super-lazy fucks are so lazy that they forget their needs.

One of The Sims games had a similar bug when one of the expansions added vampire sims. If a vampire sim is outdoors during the day all of their need will drop super quickly and if they hit zero the sim dies. Normally this causes the sim to get inside as soon as the sun comes up, but if they are in an outdoor hot tub the need boosts given by the hot tub will cause the sims a.i. to stay in the tub. The boosts given by the hot tub aren't actually enough to counteract the sunlight so the sim drops dead as soon as they get out.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

haveblue posted:

Reminds me of a line in a Sims patch notes which I think was the thread title for a while:

And that leads me to link this amazing twitter that everyone should follow: https://twitter.com/TheStrangeLog

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Snapchat A Titty posted:

slaughterhouse meow?

Oh you

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

flatluigi posted:

And that leads me to link this amazing twitter that everyone should follow: https://twitter.com/TheStrangeLog

Thank you so much for this.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

Spikey posted:

One of The Sims games had a similar bug when one of the expansions added vampire sims. If a vampire sim is outdoors during the day all of their need will drop super quickly and if they hit zero the sim dies. Normally this causes the sim to get inside as soon as the sun comes up, but if they are in an outdoor hot tub the need boosts given by the hot tub will cause the sims a.i. to stay in the tub. The boosts given by the hot tub aren't actually enough to counteract the sunlight so the sim drops dead as soon as they get out.

One of the expansions in Sims 2 added plantsims, who required sunlight to live. It was possible to become both a vampire and a plantsim simultaniously. The lifespan of such a creature was pretty much what you expect.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I guess hacking can make fatalities even more disturbing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pwy2-0VZ9k4&t=140s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKDhTqIyke4

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

haveblue posted:

quote:

Sims can no longer "Try for Baby" with the Grim Reaper.

Ahahaha this brings me back memories, me and a friend installed the master control thingy in The Sims 3 and proceeded to slaughter half of town in order to get the grim reaper to hang out. He did have a baby with a selected sacrificial maid, but the baby ended up being very normal, just whiter than the regular sim skin palette. The grim reaper also went to our poolside barbecues and swam in tiny shorts. We invoked him by killing a person, waiting for the reaper to show up and then deleting the corpse or moving the reaper aside, which made the reaper interact as a normal sim for about an in-game hour or so before suddenly despawning, after which we had to kill another poor sod. It was kinda hosed up but we were doing it in the intent of breaking the game utterly, we did lots of weird stuff with body sliders and impossible physics like deleting the floor under people just to see what happened or invading some rich guy's house with 8 kleptomaniacs and getting them to steal doors and windows, good times overall.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcX01uSacc8&t=555s
(9:15)

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

AfroSquirrel posted:

I'm still partial to the Dwarf Fortress glitch where the ghosts of dead dwarves can achieve their life's goals post-mortem: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=7628
If anyone needs to be convinced to read/follow this, here are a handful. Game names are spoilered if you want to try guessing the game based on the bug.

"Working out on workout equipment will no longer count towards the play chess daily goal for the Astronaut career."
The Sims

"Yeah, I think there will be technical problems if we allow the dead to experience circumstances in the same way as the living"
DwarfFortress

"A character can no longer be slandered with bastardry rumors if they already a known bastard."
Crusader Kings II

"dead and/or fleeing colonists can no longer raise objections to your policies concerning Fishpeople"
Clockwork Empires

"Fixed burning players being unable to see themselves on fire"
Red Orchestra 2

"Adjusted frequency of tales so your statues aren’t all of people hunting and vomiting."
RimWorld

"Fixed a bug where players could be teleported to hell and not have visible bumper car"
Team Fortress 2

"Ghosts will now properly exit vehicles after arriving at their destination."
The Sims

"Butlers can no longer get stuck inside an aquarium."
Runescape

"Fort gets sieged by invisible friendly elf/human babies"
Dwarf Fortress

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

GWBBQ posted:

If anyone needs to be convinced to read/follow this, here are a handful. Game names are spoilered if you want to try guessing the game based on the bug.
The Twitter account mentioned earlier doesn't include game names, though, right? That's kind of a bummer.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Hirayuki posted:

The Twitter account mentioned earlier doesn't include game names, though, right? That's kind of a bummer.

If you google a phrase, it'll be the first result, guaranteed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Those reminded me of this which is an actual glitch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-egksufiao