Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Well it is owned by a HK based company :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

WattsvilleBlues posted:

For mine I just type British into the Add-ons search box and it shows me options to install English dictionaries.
I put in a Canadian English dictionary and that seemed to do it. Thanks!

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
efb: well, that'll teach me to take screenshots trying to be all clever and poo poo.

slidebite posted:

How do I check those?
Apprecaite the help.

When you quote this post, what options do you get when you right-click the text entry box? You should be able to select "check Spelling" as well as what dictionary you want it to use under "Languages".

Only registered members can see post attachments!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Gromit posted:

efb: well, that'll teach me to take screenshots trying to be all clever and poo poo.

When you quote this post, what options do you get when you right-click the text entry box? You should be able to select "check Spelling" as well as what dictionary you want it to use under "Languages".

No man, thanks, you just 100% confirmed it. Only the dictionary I installed shows so I guess for some reason the default never was. I'll have to check and see what region I have the OS set up for.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are
An add-on to re-implement Tab Groups is now usable, hooray!

https://github.com/Quicksaver/Tab-Groups

Of course this will probably become totally non-functional when they get rid of the current add-on APIs... :ohdear:

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

~Coxy posted:

It would be perfectly viable if the Mozilla Foundation didn't waste bucketloads of money on stupid bullshit.

This x1000. They need to scrap everything that isn't directly related to making the best open source browser & email client - like maintaining expensive, swank offices in multiple major cities.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
:lol:

Darren Herman of Mozilla posted:

We have therefore made the decision to stop advertising in Firefox through the Tiles experiment in order to focus on content discovery. ... Advertising in Firefox could be a great business, but it isn’t the right business for us at this time because we want to focus on core experiences for our users. ... We will do this work as a fully integrated part of the Firefox team.

Read: everyone hated the ads, and we're shutting down the department and either laying off people or merging them into other parts of the Firefox team.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Avenging Dentist posted:

:lol:

[url=https://blog.mozilla.org/advancingcontent/2015/12/04/advancing-content/]

Read: everyone hated the ads, and we're shutting down the department and either laying off people or merging them into other parts of the Firefox team.

Thank goodness. I saw that once on my 64-bit build on my work computer and was wondering when I got adware on my machine. Good riddance!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I'm seeing something really weird on forum pages with lots of images. Some text and images fail to show up, but if I just move my mouse cursor over a gif, everything reappears instantly.

It's totally reproducible, which is good because it saves having to reload pages, but having it happen at all is annoying because not every page has someone with an animated avatar. Also, animated gang tags under the avatars don't cause things to reappear, so I'm damned if I know what's going on there.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2015/12/07/focus-by-firefox-content-blocking-for-the-open-web/

Mozilla has released a content blocker... for Safari... on iOS.

Man, what a head-scratcher.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Since Apple doesn't allow third-party browsers on iOS, it's at least a way for Mozilla to provide some benefit to users of a major platform. I suspect one reason might have been to avoid their initiative being branded as irrelevant because it isn't available to people with iPhones.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

It's also just Firefox's tracking protection, so it's not like it's a lot of work to port that list over to Safari's thing.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Meanwhile, ads all over Firefox for iOS

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

The Milkman posted:

Meanwhile, ads all over Firefox for iOS

I wish Firefox on iOS ran well enough to *deliver* ads. Or pages, for that matter. Hell, I'd be cool if it ran well enough such that it didn't, after the first session after installation, merely crash so hard it makes my loving iPad reboot (thats what it looks like is happening at any rate).

Edit: That said, even setting aside the breakingly-bad stability issues (literally after the initial post-install browsing session, it breaks so bad I need to uninstall and re-install, multiple times over at this point), FF on iOS has some TERRIBLE *UX* issues in any case.

Edit: Its a real bummer, now I think on it. I'm not unsympathetic to funding concerns, and I'd otherwise consider tossing a hundred bucks or two to the foundation (wouldn't be the first project I've to donated to, and then some), but FF has done so much I think is poo poo, or a bad use resources, that I feel my donation is better directed elsewhere.

magimix fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Dec 8, 2015

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
http://techcrunch.com/2015/12/08/mozilla-will-stop-developing-and-selling-firefox-os-smartphones/
rip firefox os

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Good riddance. Given all the news out of Mozilla lately, is it safe to assume they're going through a bit of a semi-painful transition? Maybe doing a little soul-searching? Trying to pinpoint their mission and really nail the execution? Are all these freed up resources going to be aimed at Firefox itself? One can hope.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Firefox iOS hasn't been any less stable than safari for me, but I use it a lot less than that because it doesn't hook into content blocking nor 1password.

I'm philosophically really behind the OS but I'm glad they're dropping it. There was just zero chance of it going anywhere even with the low end focus (which was the only possible path for it).

Here's hoping they double down on the browser and developer edition

Chilled Milk fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Dec 9, 2015

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Unfortunately, Firefox OS isn't quite dead yet: "It will continue to experiment on how it might work on other connected devices and Internet of Things networks."

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

The Milkman posted:

Firefox iOS hasn't been any less stable than safari for me, but I use it a lot less than that because it doesn't hook into content blocking nor 1password.

firefox iOS (and all other ios third party browsers) are literally safari but slightly worse last i cheched so this checks out

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Holy poo poo is Mozilla...turning things around?? Is the CEO retiring or something?

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Alereon posted:

Holy poo poo is Mozilla...turning things around?? Is the CEO retiring or something?

didn't they fire the gayhating ceo relatively recently? maybe he was a lunatic in more ways than one?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Generic Monk posted:

didn't they fire the gayhating ceo relatively recently? maybe he was a lunatic in more ways than one?

Well, he did also invent Javascript so that's a yep

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Generic Monk posted:

firefox iOS (and all other ios third party browsers) are literally safari but slightly worse last i cheched so this checks out

Safari but with Firefox Sync is all I really want.

FWIW I kinda like its traditional-ish tab management better than Safari's 3D stack thing

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Generic Monk posted:

He was CEO for less than two weeks and it was 1.5 years ago. To blame Mozilla/Firefox's downfall on him is some SJW levels of fingerpointing logic.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

The Merkinman posted:

He was CEO for less than two weeks and it was 1.5 years ago. To blame Mozilla/Firefox's downfall on him is some SJW levels of fingerpointing logic.

i had no idea of the timeframes involved and the only mozilla ceo i'm even slightly aware of is the gayhating one. define 'sjw'

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Person who does not hate homosexual and/or black people but still writes comments on the internet

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Generic Monk posted:

i had no idea of the timeframes involved and the only mozilla ceo i'm even slightly aware of is the gayhating one. define 'sjw'

"gayhating"

He once donated $2000 to a popular and successful proposition in CA against gay marriage. A donation nobody knew about until years later when some self-appointed inquisitor went through the transparency database to find some dirt.

Define 'witch hunt'.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Epic av/post combo

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Let's not rehash that stupid argument here.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Is there an add-on for adding magic trackpad style gesture support? Mainly just pinch/expand for zoom. I looked at FIregestures but it didn't seem to support that.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Hi there, I originally asked this in the W10 thread, but in hindsight it fits here way more:

I have a copy of Windows 10 N which I've installed both versions of Windows Media Features Package on, and yet Firefox still cannot render h264 videos properly. I know that the media packs installed properly because my other programs' video capabilities started working properly. Is there some additional step I need to take to get it working? Do I have to uninstall and reinstall to get it to fix?

t: Uninstalling and reinstalling did not seem to fix the issue.

Futaba Anzu fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Dec 14, 2015

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Without treading into the actual stupid argument, there's an excellent extension for FF that filters this phrase into "skeletons", and the full form into "skeleton warriors".

I'm thinking of making one that filters to "social justice wizards", because that's what sjw expands to in my brain typically.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Without treading into the actual stupid argument, there's an excellent extension for FF that filters this phrase into "skeletons", and the full form into "skeleton warriors".

I'm thinking of making one that filters to "social justice wizards", because that's what sjw expands to in my brain typically.

I like the extension that turns "millennial" into "snake person".

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

pairofdimes posted:

Somebody needs to make an extension that just crawls like the top 10 news sites every day, picks out the 10 most common nouns, and replaces them with random monsters from the D&D manual. It would make facebook way more tolerable, for one. I'd do it, except I don't really have any hosting space from which the crawler part of the deal would run, and that'd be a really bogus thing to do in the browser itself.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Use the blockchain. :twisted:

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

pairofdimes posted:

My personal favourite turns any instance of "females" into this:

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Firefox 43's 64-bit version is now actually on the downloads page instead of being hidden on the FTP.
My big question now, though, is if it'll ruin my addons with hilarious incompatibilities or not.

You few brave pioneers that already ventured to 64-bit, what's your experience so far?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Geemer posted:

Firefox 43's 64-bit version is now actually on the downloads page instead of being hidden on the FTP.
My big question now, though, is if it'll ruin my addons with hilarious incompatibilities or not.

You few brave pioneers that already ventured to 64-bit, what's your experience so far?

It has been a-ok for me and my dozen or so addons.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
Will it clobber anything if I install the 64bit version alongside the 32bit version?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

jeeves posted:

It has been a-ok for me and my dozen or so addons.

So, outside of Flash biting the dust, it should be smooth sailing?