Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is the remote going to tell me when it's charged, or is it just going to kind of sit there silently until I unplug it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I can't imagine a battery that small would take more than an hour to charge. Leave it plugged in for an hour and forget about it for a few months.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
My last couple weeks with Pluto.tv:

First week: commercial free mst3k 24/7!

A week later, a short ad at startup.

Last night we watched 4-5 commercials (two for Pluto.tv!), then I accidentally changed channels, which may have reset the commercial counter. Gave up after another 3 ads.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Yeah I'm sure it's charged by now, but you can just check the level in Settings -> Remote -> Bluetooth.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

VLC doesnt have AC3 decoding anymore, at least on IOS. i tried avoiding the update when they said they were removing it but it looks like there was some kind of silent update that told you there was no audio for this movie due to AC3 being the audio codec.

I paid $7 for plex on my ipad and honestly, airvideo does a better job of the same thing. you dont need a flashy interface to make something worth money, it just has to be better than the other guy at doing the same thing, and its not.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Question: so now that Apple remote app works for the new ATV, is it worth upgrading my main ATV? For reference, I have two ATVs, one in my living room (main), one in my bedroom. Both are similar use: stream video from HBO, Netflix, NHL, showtime, and AirPlay other stuff.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
The new model has faster hardware, the Siri remote and an App Store. Does any of that sound worth spending at least $150 really depends on you. Also since it now has an App Store the interfaces you're used to may be different for apps. I personally liked the ATV3 Netflix app. The new one has the Netflix interface everything else has which isn't as efficient to me. To me the upgraded hardware made it worthwhile. Streams start up quicker and scrubbing through videos is way faster now.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

mediaphage posted:

Honestly I prefer plex; yes it requires a secondary device but I've found box not playing various audio tracks on iOS, etc.

I use Plex for a lot, but I use VLC for a lot of other things. AirPlay for videos in mobile Safari is sketchy (sometimes the iPhone goes screen off and the player stops, sometimes it feels like if the screen goes off there's excessive buffering, etc) and I just wish I could feed a URL to VLC.

Laserface posted:

I paid $7 for plex on my ipad and honestly, airvideo does a better job of the same thing.

Depends on what you want. I want remote access, I want multi platform. Everything people compare Plex to seems to require that everyone in the household use Apple products everywhere.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Craptacular! posted:

I use Plex for a lot, but I use VLC for a lot of other things. AirPlay for videos in mobile Safari is sketchy (sometimes the iPhone goes screen off and the player stops, sometimes it feels like if the screen goes off there's excessive buffering, etc) and I just wish I could feed a URL to VLC.

Depends on what you want. I want remote access, I want multi platform. Everything people compare Plex to seems to require that everyone in the household use Apple products everywhere.

In fairness I think air video server has a Windows client too, I just think it sucks in comparison to plex (especially since if you put plex in the top row, the big artwork on top will change into recently added content, which is super awesome).

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

mediaphage posted:

(especially since if you put plex in the top row, the big artwork on top will change into recently added content, which is super awesome).

Huh. I did that, and all I ever saw was the Plex logo.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Craptacular! posted:

Huh. I did that, and all I ever saw was the Plex logo.

I can't figure out when it happens but it's flipped between the plex logo and content for me as well. Most of the time I don't really care since I use Plex to watch my HDHR and not recently added content but it's nice to have it up there regardless.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I think there's a plex setting that drives that.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

No Bravo app, eh? Kind of annoying when one of their shows, Top Chef, has an online component.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Today I discovered that all of my instability with AirPlay is a result of Safari on iOS 9. If you're going to stream an embedded web video from who knows where (CNN web site, a :filez: site, whatever) try Chrome or another non-Safari browser in iOS; as they seem to avoid this problem of the video stopping if the browser is closed or the phone sleeps.

I know it sounds dumb, since third party browsers are just WebKit re-skins, but it really seems to work.

A similar issue affects 6S users who set a live photo as their lock screen wallpaper also have problems, as AirPlay tries to play load the MOV associated with the photo automatically.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
Wait is this the weird issue where I'm airplaying off of YouTube or something and the video just cuts out and the iPhone or iPad just drop from the Appletv? It doesn't happen all the time but it happens.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
You can add a sleep timer to my wish list. Or at least that the ATV sleeps when the display powers down.

If you're worried about something streaming overnight, like Plex or Twitch etc, AirPlay from an iOS with a Stop Playback timer in Clock seems to work.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Trying to get a cheap 3rd gen AppleTV for my grandma. Where are they the cheapest and new or refurbished?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I absolutely can not get iTunes home sharing working on my new ATV and I've tried everything short of de-authorizing all my computers, does anyone have any hints or sources to look at? Apples's support forums are an empty echo chamber. It worked without issue on my ATV3.

I need my music!

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

noirstronaut posted:

Trying to get a cheap 3rd gen AppleTV for my grandma. Where are they the cheapest and new or refurbished?

http://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/appletv

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If I'm watching a YouTube video and I want to go to that person's Channel to see their videos, is there a thing that lets me do that? I can't seem to find it other than remembering the name and doing a search for it later :confused:

noirstronaut posted:

A dumpster in a high income neighborhood

killa-pope
May 21, 2008

Martytoof posted:

A dumpster in a high income neighborhood

This.

But seriously, check craigslist. I put mine up for 40 and it was gone the next day. You're not getting any warranty coverage or a pretty box, but I wouldn't put either of those as necessary in the least.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.

qirex posted:

I absolutely can not get iTunes home sharing working on my new ATV and I've tried everything short of de-authorizing all my computers, does anyone have any hints or sources to look at? Apples's support forums are an empty echo chamber. It worked without issue on my ATV3.

I need my music!

I once was able to clear this problem up by disabling IPv6 on the my source computer (Windows 7)... Not sure if that's still an issue but you could try that.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

qirex posted:

I need my music!

Every once in a while this happens to me. Here's a few things to try:

-Is iTunes up to date?
-If on a Mac OS computer, is the OS as up to date as possible?
-Turn off Home Sharing on computer and ATV, then turn it back on
-Reboot computer and ATV (pull the plug for a minute)
-Reboot router.

I know you're not computer illiterate, but usually one or a combination of those fixes it for me.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Bunch of watch apps have been added that I've been waiting for. Namely HGTV, Food Network, and my fiancé has been wanting a Watch ABC Family app.

Travel Channel is also on there.

edit: they all feature live watching.

Mahoning fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Dec 16, 2015

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Got a new, unopened 3rd gen for $55 on Craigslist. Good enough for me.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Mahoning posted:

Bunch of watch apps have been added that I've been waiting for. Namely HGTV, Food Network, and my fiancé has been wanting a Watch ABC Family app.

You need like, a cable sub for these, right?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Feenix posted:

For the most part, yeah.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Mahoning posted:

Nice! If only DirecTV had a way for me to watch my DVR on Apple TV natively I would be set.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Feenix posted:

They don't have a deal with Comcast for some reason.

NJD2005
Sep 3, 2006
Radioshack has the ATV4 32GB for $99.99 + tax, right now. https://www.radioshack.com/products/apple-tv-32gb?gclid=CIumjfCX58kCFQEaaQodEVcKmQ&variant=7546519173

edit - In store only now.

NJD2005 fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Dec 19, 2015

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

Thanks, picked one up

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
For the past couple nights the NHL app has not been letting me start a live game from the beginning. Usually you're able to pick which team's broadcast you want and then you can hit the play button to start the stream from the beginning. The message stating that you can do that is still there but it just doesn't work. It displays the first second or so of the stream, then the scrubber skips forward to live video. Really annoying.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
Shouldn't there be a new GCL app soon? I thought they announced a new app by the MLB tech people would come out in December

killa-pope
May 21, 2008
January, they claimed, which is when MLB gets the actual rights. I think they're supposed to update the browser version as well.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I'm still debating if I want a new Apple TV. What is everyone doing with theirs that they didn't do on the old one?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

noirstronaut posted:

I'm still debating if I want a new Apple TV. What is everyone doing with theirs that they didn't do on the old one?

Plex, much better play controls, siri to precisely operate those play controls.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006

noirstronaut posted:

Watching live HGTV and Food Network with my parents' DirecTV account.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

noirstronaut posted:

Enjoying the speedy response, the new Siri remote, Apple Music, and native Plex.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

noirstronaut posted:

The old one feels like v.0000002 compared to this. The remote and interface alone are worth the price. The speed of app launching/switching is incredibly useful as well. One of my least favorite things is sitting down for a meal and wanting tv and having to spend a few minutes fumbling with a remote. The ATV4 makes that last a few seconds.

I don't even care about games or most apps but I've been very happy with my purchase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

noirstronaut posted:

What is everyone doing with theirs that they didn't do on the old one?

Our cable company has a low-cost plan (which works by omitting everything sports related), so I'm blasting through Live TV on an HDHomeRun for cablecard with that Channels app, all my recordings made by my PC-DVR are indexed by Plex, and if I miss something the various network apps that you have to login to serve as a good substitute for the On Demand system you don't get with a CableCard setup.

Throw in that Siri voice search thing, and it's basically as good as a flagship DVR tuner like Comcast's X1, but I'm only giving the cableco a scant few bucks in regular hardware fees for the cablecard.