Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

McGiggins posted:

The good being the poop, and the bad being the game?

How do I interpret the anime?

its whatever you want it to be, friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I said come in! posted:

Derek Smart is a massive liar who is jealous because his career in gaming was nothing more then a wet fart. Star Citizen is on track to be hugely successful. All of the claims about this game being dead, mass lay offs and people walking out, have proven to be wrong. I use to be in the camp that believed Star Citizen's development was going to fail in spectacular fashion, but nothing at this point supports that belief. I will still only buy this game once its retail though.

lmao

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

I said come in! posted:

Derek Smart is a massive liar who is jealous because his career in gaming was nothing more then a wet fart. Star Citizen is on track to be hugely successful. All of the claims about this game being dead, mass lay offs and people walking out, have proven to be wrong. I use to be in the camp that believed Star Citizen's development was going to fail in spectacular fashion, but nothing at this point supports that belief. I will still only buy this game once its retail though.

:chanpop:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I just assumed CR approved everything and his vision of the style of the future just dull and contrived.

it is

the fact that space ships have landing strips for example bugs the poo poo out of me

its the future

we may not be able to make sick VTOL jets and poo poo without them killing a bunch of people just taking off, but in the future we totally will

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Sandi is one of the big things that disgusts me about CIG. And also one of the (nearly infinite) things about their community that disgusts me. I interact regularly with VPs of 100+ million dollar enterprises and, from my experience, they DO NOT have the time to pursue an entire second career on nights and weekends. These people work their nuts (and, uh, labia? Not sure, but I don't want to be sexist) off. They send significant work related emails at 10 PM on a Saturday or 6 AM on a Sunday. They spend 60 hours a week in the office and then another 20 hours a week reading reports and responding to things and another 10 travelling to sites, etc. They also do not spend their time cleaning toilets at the office, because that's a massive waste of their time and the company's money, like a VP doing the 15 dollar an hour job of answering CS tickets. And they sure as poo poo wouldn't be proud of pissing away company money in this manner, such that they mention it regularly on twitter.

And they're not so stupid and inexperienced that they say poo poo like "I don't know why I'm just the VP of marketing, since no one is above me in marketing."

And the community part is so many of their retarded followers saying "It's a private company, they can have whoever they want as the VP of marketing, it's none of our business."

Which is total bullshit. It's a private company, but it's publicly funded. If this were an actual public company (which it essentially is, or at least legally should be) they'd probably have gotten reamed into oblivion by the SEC by now, and you can bet your rear end Sandi wouldn't be a VP. The only reason this is legal is because it's a relatively new frontier. If you start a private company with YOUR OWN MONEY then you can hire your loving dog to be the VP of marketing, it's your business and your problem. But that's not the case here. Which is the entire problem with crowd funding. Which I imagine will probably change in the future, assuming that CIG doesn't gently caress things up so massively that crowd funding video games practically ceases to even be a thing.

And the other community part is the dim bulbs saying, over and over, "Sandi is the best marketer on the planet! She made them 100m dollars! It proves she's amazing at her job!"

This game is sold on nostalgia, and CRs past productions (glossing over the movie and the last game, which every backer seems happy to do), and word of mouth. Sandi has fuckall to do with any of those three things. What's her amazing contribution to marketing been? Kickstarter? "Limited" ship sales? A never ending shitshow of podcasts? Yeah, takes a marketing genius to come up with all that.

Anyway, that's enough effort for the week, back to shitposting.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
dr. derek smart

what are you feelings on anime

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Eonwe posted:

you star citizens need to just suck it up and be more like this anime

take the good with the bad

Cripes that pic is old.

Now I feel old too. :smith:

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Eonwe posted:

dr. derek smart

what are you feelings on anime

Back in the day D_Smart was a prolific ADTRW poster.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Cheatum the Evil Midget posted:

I really want there to be a reality TV show where Derek Smart and Cliffy B join forces to renovate old houses. Oh the quirky disputes!

“This old internet warlord has battled with the best. This week, he comes face to face with a game studio with no revision control, out-of-control visual artists, and a QA lead that only knows JavaScript. He has 7 days to whip them back in shape, but has he finally met his match? Find out, right now, on DMart's Coding Nightmares.”

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Did anyone ever ask Derek's favorite music?

I imagine it's yacht rock for some reason.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Nomenclature posted:

When people say "you don't go into science for the money," they don't mean "you will have to settle for an upper middle-class lifestyle," they mean "you will probably spend most of your life on the edge of poverty." In my high cost of living state, full-time state university instructors earn about $23,000 per year, and that's about what they could expect to get elsewhere. And in my field (which has both clinical and research jobs, better than fields like marine biology which have very few "for-profit" jobs), I see about 100 students graduate from my institution every year, but at most 1-2 getting jobs related to it.

So, it is absolutely plausible that Sandi got a B.A. in Marine Biology, then couldn't find any jobs with it, and chose to abandon it rather than spend another 6+ years as a graduate student with an equally bleak employment outlook.

Go into Eng, University professors get ~100k a year.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The only way Star Citizen can get me on board is if instead of "griefing" people by loitering around space stations taking pot shots at ships on the pads, they go full Wing Commander and just release a bulldozer I can drive around pushing spacesharts directly off the pads and into the oblivion. Bonus points if it comes with a speaker system that allows me to blast Full Burn at my victims.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
Sandi Gardner was never a guest star on All Saints, or if she was they forgot to credit her (odd considering they did the other 2043 people who guest starred)

i am bored at work

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Trying to draw up a comparison to understand the level of fervor here.

I spent a lot of time watching trailers of Metal Gear Solid V and kept track of when they'd release them every once in a blue moon. I was very impressed with Ground Zeroes and was completely hyped up for Phantom Pain, the "missing chapter", the end to a long spanning series by Hideo Kojima, an almost equally revered figure as Chris Roberts. The possibility of playing an open world sneaking thing I thought to be the best loving thing ever, and this was the first game I waited until it finished downloading at like 4 in the morning and played it despite knowing I had to go work in about 3 hours, because I was that loving hyped up.

In the end, while I enjoyed very much of it, It was not the game I expected it to be in the end, but that was likely due to the office politics at Konami.

If i am 59.99 dollars invested in wanting to play the gently caress out of that game, and wishing it was better...Imagine being somebody spending the equivalent of one or two month's rent on one loving ship for this game, being told that this purchase was extremely important money in it's development.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
I have a BS in Biological Sciences. I'm trying to find some of Sandi's published work but a google scholar search doesn't come up with anything relevant. Anybody have a link?

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
Sandi's entire life is a game of 2 Truths and a Lie, except she forgot the rules of the game.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
Completely uncredited for Fireflies as well. What else was in the resume?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

SquirrelGrip posted:

Completely uncredited for Fireflies as well. What else was in the resume?

First man on the Moon and vending machine repairer

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
OK I've been pressing spacebar repeatedly on this thread for months but I have never seen CIG (even through the eyes of this thread) having such a huge meltdown as they seem to be now. Honestly the fact that games 'journalists' would willingly expose themselves to the vitriol that is bound to come with this, and that there's evidence CIG has now switched to refusing refunds, and that Derek is supposedly unveiling one of his mind-bogglingly terrible blogs which reveal nothing at all and are simply another vehicle for his autism, tomorrow, (seriously Derek Smart what is wrong with you) surely means that the end is nigh. Please confirm my prior beliefs dear goon friends. Peace out.

Bootcha posted:

I'm waiting on Beer for a line, as well as Derek Smart for his lines and video. Aside from those the audio is done.

The video side of things has not begun, I'll be trawling through YouTube for stuff.
e: honestly dude this is all I keep skimming this thread for. I should probably just bookmark the link for your posts and check it every now and then.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

FrankieGoes posted:

Sandi is one of the big things that disgusts me about CIG. And also one of the (nearly infinite) things about their community that disgusts me. I interact regularly with VPs of 100+ million dollar enterprises and, from my experience, they DO NOT have the time to pursue an entire second career on nights and weekends. These people work their nuts (and, uh, labia? Not sure, but I don't want to be sexist) off. They send significant work related emails at 10 PM on a Saturday or 6 AM on a Sunday. They spend 60 hours a week in the office and then another 20 hours a week reading reports and responding to things and another 10 travelling to sites, etc. They also do not spend their time cleaning toilets at the office, because that's a massive waste of their time and the company's money, like a VP doing the 15 dollar an hour job of answering CS tickets. And they sure as poo poo wouldn't be proud of pissing away company money in this manner, such that they mention it regularly on twitter.

And they're not so stupid and inexperienced that they say poo poo like "I don't know why I'm just the VP of marketing, since no one is above me in marketing."

And the community part is so many of their retarded followers saying "It's a private company, they can have whoever they want as the VP of marketing, it's none of our business."

Which is total bullshit. It's a private company, but it's publicly funded. If this were an actual public company (which it essentially is, or at least legally should be) they'd probably have gotten reamed into oblivion by the SEC by now, and you can bet your rear end Sandi wouldn't be a VP. The only reason this is legal is because it's a relatively new frontier. If you start a private company with YOUR OWN MONEY then you can hire your loving dog to be the VP of marketing, it's your business and your problem. But that's not the case here. Which is the entire problem with crowd funding. Which I imagine will probably change in the future, assuming that CIG doesn't gently caress things up so massively that crowd funding video games practically ceases to even be a thing.

And the other community part is the dim bulbs saying, over and over, "Sandi is the best marketer on the planet! She made them 100m dollars! It proves she's amazing at her job!"

This game is sold on nostalgia, and CRs past productions (glossing over the movie and the last game, which every backer seems happy to do), and word of mouth. Sandi has fuckall to do with any of those three things. What's her amazing contribution to marketing been? Kickstarter? "Limited" ship sales? A never ending shitshow of podcasts? Yeah, takes a marketing genius to come up with all that.

Anyway, that's enough effort for the week, back to shitposting.

How many ships do you own?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Madcosby posted:

I'm in the alpha. First impressions:

Whenever I show up at court, I get a "LOL Are you kidding me, this is about a video game?" error message. When I input how much I've spent, I get an immediate crash to facepalm. The Class-Action suit says it can manage up to 400 people, but I've never seen more than 4 people on it at the same time. Loading times are considerably slow; I usually end up sitting on a bench outside the courthouse feeding day old bagels to pigeons. I've seen some people that have been able to enter the court house early, but I think they have conceirge status.

Overall, I'd say the case is just amazing, the high fidelity is out of this world. I can't believe how amazing it is to be part of this; I've spent over $35g in lawyer fees and it's so much fun just to watch them work. The lawyers have full transparency, including open financials, a refreshing change of pace. For example, I was billed $150 for "Paper Copies Relative To Your Case". Pretty nice to get feedback without even asking. I sent over a fruit basket, three large pizzas, and a bottle of scotch handed down to me from my great grandfather. I got a signed memo saying "Thanks you so much!!" signed by my lawyer himself. That's pretty special.

Wow, that sounds incredible. What would you say is the smallest amount I can spend to get in on this but still be able to whip out my cashdick and get some respect from other Lawsuitizens?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Libluini posted:

Why would someone go through the effort of studying marine biology and then end up in acting? That's a really weird dead end she has chosen for herself.

I get the feeling she's taking the piss with this, because I never heard of people studying important stuff like marine biology, only to suddenly go insane and abandon it for some vanity-bullshit like acting.

That's like calling ahead in hell to let Satan know he needs a fresh torture chamber soon

Ehhh... There was a long time where getting your bachelors in Marine Biology was basically the next best thing to an Art History degree. not saying it's the easiest road to irrelevence, but it certainly was a pipe-dream major for a while. Lotta 'marine biologists' out there doing nothing related to the ocean. Still though, to list yourself as a qualified marine biologist is strange.

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer

Romes128 posted:

His I'm the ceo of a game company. Thanks for giving me 100 million dollars. Sorry, I can't tell you when the game will come out, it's only been four years. Wait a little longer.

People think this is acceptable.

Despite this not being about CIG in particular, you post reminded me of:

CheeseFactory
May 12, 2009

MAYBE A DINGO ATE YOUR K/D
I want Star Citizen to fail and it's going to be good when it does

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

jaegerx posted:

How many ships do you own?

Two. :(

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

1500 posted:

Go into Eng, University professors get ~100k a year.

Go into Eng, practitioners that only have a bachelors make well > 100,000 a year.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

I think it's ok for someone to watch Free Willy and decide to become a Marine Biology major then drop out to act because of O-chem.

I mean you shouldn't lie because then you're kind of saying that you hate who you are a little and I think we should try to maintain a positive self image on the internet and beyond.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Ffycchi posted:

Sigh...challenge accepted...lovely photoshop incoming.

Source Images:
http://imgur.com/a/dudgb

:bravo: You win.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Maybe it was an edu-scam degree?

It's a pretty common thing in australia to do an arts/other trash degree/higher education if your scores are poo poo, as it resets them, allowing you to get into anything that your previous efforts locked you out of.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Aurra posted:

So I got a recruitment spam message in Star Citizen. I don't know what to think of this. :psyberger:

Read this in the nerdiest DnD voice I could imagine, it's fuckin hilarious. They're half a step away from "Huzzah, Vae Victis!" Already Knights in M'ladyship.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

MilesK posted:

Did anyone ever ask Derek's favorite music?

I imagine it's yacht rock for some reason.

TALK TALK by TALK TALK from the album TALK TALK.

Cause you see... all he does is talk...talk... :downsrim:

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Romes128 posted:

oh hi guys im sandi gardiner and i can do literally everything;

https://web.archive.org/web/2007110...dgcfjjinfhimecg

quote:

Swimming
BACK STROKE, BREAST STROKE, BUTTERFLY, DIVING, FREESTYLE, SWIMMING, GENERAL

"Ooh, I'm Sandi, look at all the swimming I can do." What the gently caress is a Butterfly stroke? Looks like she can't do the Dolphin or the Mermaid. I'm a trained swimmer, achieving the high level of Manta-Ray. Unfortunately, I never completed my training, as they banned me from the pool for my European indiscretions. :ohdear:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Ravane posted:

"Ooh, I'm Sandi, look at all the swimming I can do." What the gently caress is a Butterfly stroke? Looks like she can't do the Dolphin or the Mermaid. I'm a trained swimmer, achieving the high level of Manta-Ray. Unfortunately, I never completed my training, as they banned me from the pool for my European indiscretions. :ohdear:

quote:

Swimming
BACK STROKE, BREAST STROKE, BUTTERFLY, DIVING, FREESTYLE, SWIMMING, GENERAL

She does the swimming part of swimming really well.

newmans_owned
Nov 26, 2015

Home Of The Hottest WADs On The Net
i really have no idea how ben can drink as much soda as he normally does within the span of an hour or so. if i drunk that much, i would feel dehydrated and lovely.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Jobbo_Fett posted:

She does the swimming part of swimming really well.

Ravane posted:

y'all are going really weird about what amounts to a boilerplate agency listing.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
Here's a question: How do the spaceships spawn in the game? Do they magically appear on the landing pads? How do the immersion lovers square this with their vision? Are they teleported in? If they're teleported why do spaceships even exist? What is the lore explanation for spaceships that weren't there suddenly being there? It seems like a small sticking point like this would drive the star citizens crazy. Especially if it's just magic and a wizard did it. Harry Potter made your spaceship appear!

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

You can outrun the IRS, but you can't outrun your sister's love.

Ravane posted:

What the gently caress is a Butterfly stroke?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butterfly_stroke

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001
I really want to crash ships into other ships but don't want to pay them anything, Are they going to do a free weekend anytime soon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer

joebob posted:

I really want to crash ships into other ships but don't want to pay them anything, Are they going to do a free weekend anytime soon?

Two weeks

• Locked thread