Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Bushiz posted:

y'all are going really weird about what amounts to a boilerplate agency listing.

Ok.

But let me just point out that her resume looks like it was lifted off of Ace Ventura: PD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/305701/cig-people-who-steal-ships

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Ravane posted:

"Ooh, I'm Sandi, look at all the swimming I can do." What the gently caress is a Butterfly stroke? Looks like she can't do the Dolphin or the Mermaid. I'm a trained swimmer, achieving the high level of Manta-Ray. Unfortunately, I never completed my training, as they banned me from the pool for my European indiscretions. :ohdear:
The Dolphin is properly called the Butterfly you goddamn Octopode.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Nomenclature posted:

When people say "you don't go into science for the money," they don't mean "you will have to settle for an upper middle-class lifestyle," they mean "you will probably spend most of your life on the edge of poverty." In my high cost of living state, full-time state university instructors earn about $23,000 per year, and that's about what they could expect to get elsewhere. And in my field (which has both clinical and research jobs, better than fields like marine biology which have very few "for-profit" jobs), I see about 100 students graduate from my institution every year, but at most 1-2 getting jobs related to it.

So, it is absolutely plausible that Sandi got a B.A. in Marine Biology, then couldn't find any jobs with it, and chose to abandon it rather than spend another 6+ years as a graduate student with an equally bleak employment outlook.

Did you forget a number there? Because I'm having a hard time believing you live in a state where a university professor makes less than a public school teacher. No, 23k a year isn't what professors expect to get elsewhere and 23k is what a grad student doing lab work is probably going to make.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/305732/what-is-star-citizenship

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Evil Fluffy posted:

Did you forget a number there? Because I'm having a hard time believing you live in a state where a university professor makes less than a public school teacher. No, 23k a year isn't what professors expect to get elsewhere and 23k is what a grad student doing lab work is probably going to make.

Well they definitely aren't making 123k. Or 230k a year.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

gently caress! All this time I've been dolphin kicking, but never butterfly stroking. No wonder I never passed the exam! :saddowns:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Lord knows the adjunct faculty I talk to are on poverty wages...

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

You can outrun the IRS, but you can't outrun your sister's love.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Tenured professors (and for that matter, tenure-track professors) and instructors/lecturers are completely different things. Professors can make whatever they negotiate for. Hell, there is a post-doc making $80,000/year in my department because of the grants she brings in.

But if you figure that during a tenured professor's career, about 3,000 to 5,000 undergrads will get degrees from my department, you can see that the ratio of tenured job openings to students with B.A./B.S. degrees isn't in favor of graduates looking for tenured jobs.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

You wouldn't steal a car. Why are you stealing ships?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

By stealing someone's ship you are basically taking the donut out of :lesnick: mouth. Stop stealing ships.

Wookie Bouquet
Jan 27, 2013

Too tsundere to drive.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I can totally see $23k for grad student stipend. Lecturers make like 50-60k, I think most faculty make <100k at the local college.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I would love it if this ever became an actual MMO game, and there just ends up a huge goon protected graveyard of ships somewhere in the middle of nowhere.

The hunt for Goon treasure would be a thing, and if they ever found it, you'd just jack their ship while they're EVA exploring that shiny Javelin and kill them, further adding to the tears, ships and lulz.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

McGiggins posted:

I would love it if this ever became an actual MMO game, and there just ends up a huge goon protected graveyard of ships somewhere in the middle of nowhere.

The hunt for Goon treasure would be a thing, and if they ever found it, you'd just jack their ship while they're EVA exploring that shiny Javelin and kill them, further adding to the tears, ships and lulz.

Thanks, now I have to buy the game :colbert:

CellarDweller
Jan 19, 2014

Down In The Pit... There's It!
So the Star Citizen wiki says a Javelin has a minimum crew of 23. Didn't Cig only promise a minimum of 40 people in an instance? I know the whole thing has been poorly thought out but I would think one would want to make sure that the biggest ship you are selling can get in a fight with another capital ship.

Or maybe that is the idea, buy a Javelin and make sure have an advantage by virtue of taking up more than half of the instance by yourself.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

When I went to college full time professors were making over 100k a year starting (supposedly) so I could see them getting up around 123k a year now, considering its been a decade or so. Considering even the food staff made at least 20k a year there's no loving way any educator made anywhere close to that small an amount. Not sure what university you're referring to but 23k a year has to have a few asterisks by it.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

CellarDweller posted:

So the Star Citizen wiki says a Javelin has a minimum crew of 23. Didn't Cig only promise a minimum of 40 people in an instance? I know the whole thing has been poorly thought out but I would think one would want to make sure that the biggest ship you are selling can get in a fight with another capital ship.

Or maybe that is the idea, buy a Javelin and make sure have an advantage by virtue of taking up more than half of the instance by yourself.

By piloting a Javelin and having your "friends" as crew you can insure that nobody else can join the server and thus have no griefers. Win-win.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

CellarDweller posted:

Then inside of a javelin is a sort of an instance itself as well as maybe each deck. They call it zoning so going from one deck to another you will traverse a zone which as their plan should be seamless so going outside your ship is also going outside the inner ship zone and into the outer zone

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Evil Fluffy posted:

When I went to college full time professors were making over 100k a year starting (supposedly) so I could see them getting up around 123k a year now, considering its been a decade or so. Considering even the food staff made at least 20k a year there's no loving way any educator made anywhere close to that small an amount. Not sure what university you're referring to but 23k a year has to have a few asterisks by it.

Oh you sweet summer child.

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2015/09/higher-education-college-adjunct-professor-salary/404461/
http://www.businessinsider.com/many-adjunct-professors-require-welfare-to-supplement-their-low-wages-2015-10

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

AlmightyPants posted:

Here's a question: How do the spaceships spawn in the game? Do they magically appear on the landing pads? How do the immersion lovers square this with their vision? Are they teleported in? If they're teleported why do spaceships even exist? What is the lore explanation for spaceships that weren't there suddenly being there? It seems like a small sticking point like this would drive the star citizens crazy. Especially if it's just magic and a wizard did it. Harry Potter made your spaceship appear!

I watched a YouTube time lapse of the landing pads. They just appear about fifty feet above the flight deck and then drop into place. It looks really stupid.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I think it's endearingly jank

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

redwalrus posted:

Its all fun until its true.

ꟼ:-\

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

I'm looking forward to the mandatory romance scene on top of the pinball machine.

The safephrase is: I'll pledge more.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

redwalrus posted:

Its all fun until its true.

If Sandi plays a minor character with only 2-3 lines throughout all the hours of cutscenes it'll be perfect, and fitting for her :allears:

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

what tier do I have to back at to get access to the space bulldozer? I wanna clean these whales off the beach.

If CIG is still around next week I will be buying a basic package with which to grief, and I'll set myself a reminder to open a refund ticket within the 14 days to maybe get my money back (if possible). but I can waste cash just as well as the backers, and if I can make one grown man cry it will all have been worth it. just need to clean 54gb off my hard drive to make room for the 'game'.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

All these loving people acting like video game players in this video game I can't stand it what the gently caress I remember when they say it was all JPGs and fantasies in my head about being a famous space captain.

Stretch goal $200mil should be to withdraw Alpha 2.0 so all these people can go back to pretending video games aren't filled with people having fun.

Mick Jaggoff
Sep 11, 2012

Acquilae posted:

If Sandi plays a minor character with only 2-3 lines throughout all the hours of cutscenes it'll be perfect, and fitting for her :allears:

Oh you sweet summer child.

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000
I COULDN'T BACK UP ANY OF MY ARGUEMENTS, IGNORE ME PLEASE.
live footage from the star citizen trial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=5s&v=Dc9cNHZFTts

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

jaegerx posted:

By stealing someone's ship you are basically taking the donut out of :lesnick: mouth. Stop stealing ships.

I'm getting conflicting messages here.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

How the gently caress did I miss this poo poo my whole life. Gonna watch all this.

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000
I COULDN'T BACK UP ANY OF MY ARGUEMENTS, IGNORE ME PLEASE.

Jst0rm posted:

How the gently caress did I miss this poo poo my whole life. Gonna watch all this.

I love twin peaks but anyone who says it is the weirdest show ever made has not seen The Prisoner

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Acquilae posted:

That would be a waste, you have in her an actor who can dub her own lines for the Filipino, French, German, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Spanish, and Tagalog releases!

Filipino is the standardized official version of Tagalog. She's double counting.

I've been catching up on this thread, can someone fill me in?

1. People call Derek Smart "Dr. Smart". What is he a doctor of, if anything?

2. A year ago, posters joked that Ben was gaining weight and Sandi was losing weight. Has this trend continued?

3. Has any proof arisen for the goon theory that Sandi is Chris' mistress?

William Bear fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Dec 16, 2015

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

William Bear posted:

2. A year ago, posters joked that Ben was gaining weight and Sandi was losing weight. Has this trend continued?

1. Internet War Studies.
2. Yes.
3. They're married. A meltdown post from CRobber explained that this had never been a secret in any way, shape, or form, no-siree.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

William Bear posted:

That would be a waste, you have in her an actor who can dub her own lines for the Filipino, French, German, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Spanish, and Tagalog releases!

Filipino is the standardized official version of Tagalog. She's double counting.

Apparently he's an engineer and has two Ph Ds

Yes, life-threateningly so

Yes. They've also married (twice).

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

Cheatum the Evil Midget posted:

I love twin peaks but anyone who says it is the weirdest show ever made has not seen The Prisoner

Be seeing you.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Acquilae posted:

She's billed higher than Gillian Anderson. In the only world that makes sense means that she has a larger role (and hence, more, uh, screen time? cutscene time? whatever) than Gillian Anderson does. I would bet that she doesn't play the love interest though, I can't even imagine the amount of fetishization the cultists would get into. Or I dunno, maybe she really likes that sort of attention.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Dapper Dan posted:

She's billed higher than Gillian Anderson. In the only world that makes sense means that she has a larger role (and hence, more, uh, screen time? cutscene time? whatever) than Gillian Anderson does. I would bet that she doesn't play the love interest though, I can't even imagine the amount of fetishization the cultists would get into. Or I dunno, maybe she really likes that sort of attention.

SC being shut down due to SAG conflicts would be a really funny end to the whole thing…

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Dusty Lens posted:

I'm looking forward to the mandatory romance scene on top of the pinball machine.
Please don't defile pinball machines like that. They've been through a lot, like the NYC ban and Python Anghelo's existence in general without the slander of being associated with Star Citizen and/or poorly modelled, poorly-motion captured, poorly acted polygonial rutting. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

William Bear posted:

You're talking about an Australian actor who lists her ability as being able to talk in an Australian English dialect on her resume.

• Locked thread