Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Geemer posted:

So, outside of Flash biting the dust, it should be smooth sailing?

Flash is the only plugin that will work with 64-bit, and every add-on will work just the same as with the 32-bit builds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Jerome
Sep 14, 2004

I will unite the Jews!
Firefox 64 is immediately significantly faster, especially as far as the UI is concerned on my Windows 10 Surface Pro 3. Also, it finally fixed the issue where selecting text input boxes didn't automatically bring up the on screen keyboard when in tablet mode. I'm very happy.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

pandaK posted:

Hi there, I originally asked this in the W10 thread, but in hindsight it fits here way more:

I have a copy of Windows 10 N which I've installed both versions of Windows Media Features Package on, and yet Firefox still cannot render h264 videos properly. I know that the media packs installed properly because my other programs' video capabilities started working properly. Is there some additional step I need to take to get it working? Do I have to uninstall and reinstall to get it to fix?

t: Uninstalling and reinstalling did not seem to fix the issue.

I've managed to at least enable the other quality options (480p-1080p, before I could only see 360p) by toggling media.fragmented-mp4.ffmpeg.enabled to true, but videos on the old flash player just send me errors. Firefox still doesn't seem to be hooked properly to the proper media features installed on my computer as it errors out when I try to listen to a podcast mp3 in browser.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

Geemer posted:

Firefox 43's 64-bit version is now actually on the downloads page instead of being hidden on the FTP.
My big question now, though, is if it'll ruin my addons with hilarious incompatibilities or not.

You few brave pioneers that already ventured to 64-bit, what's your experience so far?

I've been running 64-bit developer edition for months, it's great.

e10s lights some of my favorite extensions ON FIRE, but otherwise great.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Is e10s available in the release channel? There's no checkbox in the preferences where the wiki tells me to look

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

Malloc Voidstar posted:

Is e10s available in the release channel? There's no checkbox in the preferences where the wiki tells me to look

I enabled it following the instructions here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/3wxkqh/today_i_moved_back_to_firefox_use_64_bit_async/

It seems to be working fine for me on FF43, but I also only have 4 add-ons and they aren't unusual ones. You can see add-on support here:
http://arewee10syet.com/

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Can some one please tell me how to block the log in drop down menu in the top right hand corner of twitter? I use ublock.

Thanks fapos.

Jippa fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Dec 16, 2015

Fapos
Feb 10, 2004

*FAP* *FaP* *faP*
You can just right click on the white background and select block element, or add "twitter.com###signin-dropdown" to your filters in the options.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Geemer posted:

Firefox 43's 64-bit version is now actually on the downloads page instead of being hidden on the FTP.
My big question now, though, is if it'll ruin my addons with hilarious incompatibilities or not.

You few brave pioneers that already ventured to 64-bit, what's your experience so far?

Outside of Java everything works.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Only downside to Firefox 43 is that Classic Theme Restorer can no longer make the search bar act like it did in previous versions. Which kinda sucks. Updating to the current Classic Theme Restorer beta doesn't solve the problem either.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Will 32 bit auto-update to 64 or do you have to delete the old 32 install and put on x64?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Only downside to Firefox 43 is that Classic Theme Restorer can no longer make the search bar act like it did in previous versions. Which kinda sucks. Updating to the current Classic Theme Restorer beta doesn't solve the problem either.

You can make the search bar go back to how it previously worked, actually. In the options menu for Classic Theme Restorer, click on General UI (1) and there should be a checkbox labelled "Old search (experimental)".

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
If anyone else hates the "search for blah on Google" in the awesome bar, about:config and set browser.urlbar.unifiedcomplete to false. God help me if I ever somehow end up with a vanilla install of Firefox again because it feels like I've had to make about 20+ tweaks just to remove all of the annoying poo poo they've added over the years.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

slidebite posted:

Will 32 bit auto-update to 64 or do you have to delete the old 32 install and put on x64?
64-bit is a different version of Firefox, if you have the 32-bit version installed you will continue to receive 32-bit updates.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Alereon posted:

64-bit is a different version of Firefox, if you have the 32-bit version installed you will continue to receive 32-bit updates.

64-bit also uses the same profiles.

RZApublican posted:

You can make the search bar go back to how it previously worked, actually. In the options menu for Classic Theme Restorer, click on General UI (1) and there should be a checkbox labelled "Old search (experimental)".

Thanks! This worked like a charm.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Without treading into the actual stupid argument, there's an excellent extension for FF that filters this phrase into "skeletons", and the full form into "skeleton warriors".

I'm thinking of making one that filters to "social justice wizards", because that's what sjw expands to in my brain typically.

i need to redownload this ngl

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
I use foxreplace which lets you make custom word lists.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I went and bit the bullet on 64-bit, setting it to install in \program files\ instead of \program files (86)\, so now I can at least run 32-bit if 64-bit breaks anything. But so far, so good.

It actually feels more responsive than 32-bit, so that's pretty nice.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

The Gunslinger posted:

If anyone else hates the "search for blah on Google" in the awesome bar, about :config and set browser.urlbar.unifiedcomplete to false. God help me if I ever somehow end up with a vanilla install of Firefox again because it feels like I've had to make about 20+ tweaks just to remove all of the annoying poo poo they've added over the years.

This is what I wanted to ask but couldn't figure out how to, and you answered it. Thanks!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
If I wanted to change to 32-bit but preserve add-ons' settings, how would I do that?

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

hooah posted:

If I wanted to change to 32-bit but preserve add-ons' settings, how would I do that?

Just install the 64 bit version. They share the same profile, and any settings and addons will carry over.

Just don't run them both at the same time.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
What that man said. Even the nightly/alpha builds will use the same profile from a different install location.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Oh, I didn't know Firefox (or any program for that matter) was that smart. Cool!

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
It's because the profile is stored in ~user/appdata/local which doesn't require additional permissions to access or whatever.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
So they've finally started releasing x64 versions. Can I just install that on top of my old 32 bit installation or would I have to export+import extensions, bookmarks etc using MozBackup?

edit:
vvv
whoops, sorry!

edit again:
I've got extensions.checkCompatibility.43.0 set to false in about:config, but after upgrading from x32 to x64, the browser disables some "incompatible" extensions anyway. What gives?

edit:
found a solution: set xpinstall.signatures.required to false.

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Dec 17, 2015

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

PirateBob posted:

So they've finally started releasing x64 versions. Can I just install that on top of my old 32 bit installation or would I have to export+import extensions, bookmarks etc using MozBackup?

that question is answered on this page, just a few posts above yours even

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
So if anyone is wondering why the mute tab button isn't working on some tabs anymore it's apparently an issue on Adobe's end with the latest version of Flash.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Geemer posted:

So, outside of Flash biting the dust, it should be smooth sailing?

Flash still works fine. It's Java that doesn't really work. Oh well!

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

jeeves posted:

Flash still works fine. It's Java that doesn't really work. Oh well!

Java not working is a feature.

Flash continuing to work is a bug.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Flash continuing to work is a bug.

Does that mean you have a patch for Shumway ready to make it work on all Flash content on the web? :twisted:

(Seriously though, I think it's perfectly reasonable to prioritize not breaking things that are still fairly-common on the web.)

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Avenging Dentist posted:

Does that mean you have a patch for Shumway ready to make it work on all Flash content on the web? :twisted:

(Seriously though, I think it's perfectly reasonable to prioritize not breaking things that are still fairly-common on the web.)

The proper fix is to publicly shame the gently caress out of anyone that's already HTML5'd their poo poo for mobile but won't serve it to computers.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
That doesn't help users in the short term. There are already precious few reasons a person would stick with Firefox (add-ons and ideology are about the only ones), so I think it's wise not to give users another reason to switch to Chrome.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Avenging Dentist posted:

That doesn't help users in the short term. There are already precious few reasons a person would stick with Firefox (add-ons and ideology are about the only ones), so I think it's wise not to give users another reason to switch to Chrome.

If you read what Firefox's devout have to say they already think Firefox is becoming too much like Chrome, so that wouldn't change much.

Also Mozilla claims killing plugins is about security when Flash is on the level of 'not blocking ads' and 'not doing software updates' in terms of making your computer a security goatse and is still specifically whitelisted.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Sir Unimaginative, do you have Flash installed? What do you do when you encounter web content that is only available in Flash? To most users simply choosing not to consume Flash content is not an acceptable option. If it is acceptable to them, users can simply NOT install Flash. I'm all about making correct security choices for users but Flash is still too large of a part of the web.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Dec 18, 2015

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Let's get a working JVM in JS. :twisted:

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Alereon posted:

Sir Unimaginative, do you have Flash installed? What do you do when you encounter web content that is only available in Flash? To most users simply choosing not to consume Flash content is not an acceptable option. If it is acceptable to them, users can simply NOT install Flash. I'm all about making correct security choices for users but Flash is still too large of a part of the web.

I turn off Flash in IE and Chrome as a matter of course. I'm already trying to live my life without Flash Player and aside from one thing involving jury duty of all things I don't feel like I'm missing anything. Keep in mind web sites have had half a decade of iOS and three years of Flashless Android and declining PC adoption rates to contend with, so at this point I'm forced to conclude that anyone not at least trying to move off of Flash doesn't care about themselves or the future.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sir Unimaginative posted:

declining PC adoption rates to contend with

Citation really needed, as all data leads to the conclusion that people just need to buy new systems less often (I'm using a 4 year old laptop for instance, it runs more than well enough).

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Avenging Dentist posted:

Yep.Flash may suck but there's a couple sites I need it for (including one that's a subscription video streaming service that's only a year old ) and losing it would make me use other browsers much more frequently.

Of course I haven't even seen any major changes since the OS X version has be already been 64 bit for years

Thauros fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Dec 18, 2015

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Flash is less and less of a necessity. My problem is that when sites do convert to HTML5 they tend to only support Chrome because Chrome drives development of new video streaming standards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I open Chrome when I need to use flash, which is rare.